ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Purdue's 2024 class

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
Wow what a class! Should be raining three's in West Lafayette for years to come. Here's my order of how I think this class will playout.

#1 Kanon Catchings while I am convinced, he is a one and done he will represent Purdue well in the NBA. I have seen fans try and fit him into a position is he a two? a three? or a four? I surely don't know. He is the best recruit I have seen commit to Painter. Kid does everything well not the least of which is getting other players involved.

#2 Raleigh Burgess Painter loves defense, and this kid brings that endlessly. He can score from anywhere on the court. Call him a stretch four. Or a rim protecting five. I watched him play with the (Kokomo Kid) Flory Bidunga and at the time I was like why isn't Painter recruiting him instead. He reminds me of Rutgers Clif Omoruyi or a shot blocking Brian Cardinal. He will find his way on the court right behind Catchings.

#3 Dan Jacobsen he is a 7'3" highly coachable stretch five. I was not surprised by the commit nor the fact that he reclassified up to 2024 class. He closes out well on the 3-point shooters. Most mobile big man Painter has had. He will be a match up nightmare especially if Burgess is feeding him from the post. He will play in the NBA because he can guard the perimeter.

#4 Jack Benter he could become the most valuable recruit in this class as the 3-players listed above him will be early exits. He has more range than any player in this class. Kid is a winner and has a complete game. I love watching him play he lays it all on the line every second he is on the court. He is your fathers Purdue player. I'E, he does more with less.

#5 CJ Cox I watched the game vs Perry he was clearly the best guard on the court. I just don't have enough info on him yet. If Painter wants him then so do I.

Things just keep getting better for Painter on the recruiting trail. This class is ridiculous how he was able to recruit the best class in the B1G Ten, and what should be a top 5 class nationally. Proves that nice guys don't always finish last. Purdue will have to continue recruiting at this level with UCLA and Oregon joining the league. This class will keep us at the top of the polls for years to come. For those who complain about who we didn't get you can't sign them all. I wouldn't want to lose any of these five. My Purdue life is in its special place this morning.

Wow what a class! Should be raining three's in West Lafayette for years to come. Here's my order of how I think this class will playout.

#1 Kanon Catchings while I am convinced, he is a one and done he will represent Purdue well in the NBA. I have seen fans try and fit him into a position is he a two? a three? or a four? I surely don't know. He is the best recruit I have seen commit to Painter. Kid does everything well not the least of which is getting other players involved.

#2 Raleigh Burgess Painter loves defense, and this kid brings that endlessly. He can score from anywhere on the court. Call him a stretch four. Or a rim protecting five. I watched him play with the (Kokomo Kid) Flory Bidunga and at the time I was like why isn't Painter recruiting him instead. He reminds me of Rutgers Clif Omoruyi or a shot blocking Brian Cardinal. He will find his way on the court right behind Catchings.

#3 Dan Jacobsen he is a 7'3" highly coachable stretch five. I was not surprised by the commit nor the fact that he reclassified up to 2024 class. He closes out well on the 3-point shooters. Most mobile big man Painter has had. He will be a match up nightmare especially if Burgess is feeding him from the post. He will play in the NBA because he can guard the perimeter.

#4 Jack Benter he could become the most valuable recruit in this class as the 3-players listed above him will be early exits. He has more range than any player in this class. Kid is a winner and has a complete game. I love watching him play he lays it all on the line every second he is on the court. He is your fathers Purdue player. I'E, he does more with less.

#5 CJ Cox I watched the game vs Perry he was clearly the best guard on the court. I just don't have enough info on him yet. If Painter wants him then so do I.

Things just keep getting better for Painter on the recruiting trail. This class is ridiculous how he was able to recruit the best class in the B1G Ten, and what should be a top 5 class nationally. Proves that nice guys don't always finish last. Purdue will have to continue recruiting at this level with UCLA and Oregon joining the league. This class will keep us at the top of the polls for years to come. For those who complain about who we didn't get you can't sign them all. I wouldn't want to lose any of these five. My Purdue life is in its special place this morning.

I think you are the first I have read to say Burgess & Jacobson will be early NBA entrants. Possible sure. Purdue has not had many early entrants, now you are saying 3 in one class. I have no basis other than history, but count me skeptical.

This does not mean they are not great recruits, and that I am not excited.

In true boiler fashion, pointing out a disappointment, so far, after reading about the great class - the 1 kid I wanted has not committed.

Last edited:

Well, I sure HOPE you are right!

Reactions: Boiler Buck

I love the optimism, but also would like some of what you’re having.

With the log jam at 4 and 5 next year, Catchings probably plays the 3. And should be great paired with Colvin.

Burgess coming off that injury from last year, hope he does well, but not sure about an early entry to the NBA. Obviously would be great but need to see how well he adjusts to the speed of D1 ball.

Jacobsen….from what I’ve seen on film, isn’t very quick or athletic. So, hope you’re more right, but I would think he is a RS next year or I guess if not, someone in the front court leaves.

Benter seems like a scorer but how do we know if he can play at the D1 level right away? Will have to see how he does and wouldnt surprise me if he also RS next year.

Cox may see some time at PG next year since we have no one to back up Braden…I think he is going to be a steal.

Harris hopefully still commits, which would mean we oversign, but would really help us out in the backcourt for next year.

This class is great though, and definitely one of painters best. Hope Harris commits!

With the log jam at 4 and 5 next year, Catchings probably plays the 3. And should be great paired with Colvin.

Burgess coming off that injury from last year, hope he does well, but not sure about an early entry to the NBA. Obviously would be great but need to see how well he adjusts to the speed of D1 ball.

Jacobsen….from what I’ve seen on film, isn’t very quick or athletic. So, hope you’re more right, but I would think he is a RS next year or I guess if not, someone in the front court leaves.

Benter seems like a scorer but how do we know if he can play at the D1 level right away? Will have to see how he does and wouldnt surprise me if he also RS next year.

Cox may see some time at PG next year since we have no one to back up Braden…I think he is going to be a steal.

Harris hopefully still commits, which would mean we oversign, but would really help us out in the backcourt for next year.

This class is great though, and definitely one of painters best. Hope Harris commits!
hoping for Harris too, like Burgess but did notice he dropped in the rankings ( maybe nothing to worry about). I think Benter RS's too, on film he seems to be playing against inferior competition

Hey OB. All of the Purdue related sites are still indicating that, most likely, Harris ends up at Purdue. You are the only person I've seen that thinks the Harris ship has sailed (because of the Cox signing). I respect your take on Purdue related info immensely. Do you have any inside info here or are you speculating?

hoping for Harris too, like Burgess but did notice he dropped in the rankings ( maybe nothing to worry about). I think Benter RS's too, on film he seems to be playing against inferior competition
Yeah burgess dropped I think because of his injury. Benter is playing lower level indiana high school comp but has scored tons of points which is still tough to do in 8 min quarters. He will prob RS but hope he will be a good shooter in the class!

Yeah burgess dropped I think because of his injury. Benter is playing lower level indiana high school comp but has scored tons of points which is still tough to do in 8 min quarters. He will prob RS but hope he will be a good shooter in the class!
Honestly I see Benter as a bigger stronger version of Loyer. Hopefully his game translates to Power 5 D1 play and he brings a complete game and can increase the threat of high level scoring from outside!

I’m still hoping Loyer can shoot the 3 at a much higher level this year. Him being recruited as a 3 point sniper could set the expectation of shooting in the high 30 to >40% range. Personally I’d say 35+% should be the low end and low 30% range is problematic. Yah, yah , yah I know he’s shown he’s not just a 3 point shooter and that’s fantastic but that doesn’t change the fact his ability to knock down the 3 at a high clip figured very prominently into his recruitment. Let’s go Fletch, hope you have a great year!

Hey OB. All of the Purdue related sites are still indicating that, most likely, Harris ends up at Purdue. You are the only person I've seen that thinks the Harris ship has sailed (because of the Cox signing). I respect your take on Purdue related info immensely. Do you have any inside info here or are you speculating?
No info just my opinion I started saying no Harris because I was 99% sure we were getting Jacobsen after he reclassed up. I had some insight on Jacobsen thus no scholarship for Harris. If Jacobsen would have waited, we would be talking about Reibe instead not Harris. I am positive the other sites have their set of facts I haven't seen them. Not sure what Harris is doing I am sure we have no scholarship.

Let's look at probable need:
1. Cox - Smith needs a great backup and we need to be covered if Smith is injured
2. Catching - because he's SO DAMNED GOOD and can play at least two spots!!!
3. Benter - no need right away. Loyer and Colvin are just fine
4. Burgess - Probably not a great need??? Unless TKR chooses to enter the portal
5. Jacobsen - Behind Furst and Berg ... but could be better than them after RS year

Honestly I see Benter as a bigger stronger version of Loyer. Hopefully his game translates to Power 5 D1 play and he brings a complete game and can increase the threat of high level scoring from outside!

I’m still hoping Loyer can shoot the 3 at a much higher level this year. Him being recruited as a 3 point sniper could set the expectation of shooting in the high 30 to >40% range. Personally I’d say 35+% should be the low end and low 30% range is problematic. Yah, yah , yah I know he’s shown he’s not just a 3 point shooter and that’s fantastic but that doesn’t change the fact his ability to knock down the 3 at a high clip figured very prominently into his recruitment. Let’s go Fletch, hope you have a great year!
Great thoughts

No info just my opinion I started saying no Harris because I was 99% sure we were getting Jacobsen after he reclassed up. I had some insight on Jacobsen thus no scholarship for Harris. If Jacobsen would have waited, we would be talking about Reibe instead not Harris. I am positive the other sites have their set of facts I haven't seen them. Not sure what Harris is doing I am sure we have no scholarship.
I hope we get Harris but there’s definitely some reason to doubt him coming. No scholarships, failure to announce his commitment on his soft timeline, seemed to have had good visits elsewhere, Cox signing… all that being said there’s still a lot of folks out there believing his signing is possibly still in the cards. His abilities aren’t in question and should help our Boilers.🖤💛🏀

Apparently we have the flexibility to oversign …can’t tell you how, but read that on gold and black.

Benter reminds me more of Mathias than Loyer

I really don’t like comparing classes to the Baby Boilers, but I think that the best class since, at least in terms of depth, was 2014: Mathias, Vince Edwards, Haas, PJ, and Taylor. It is way too early to know if this class will be that good, but I think it has a real shot.

I've only seen Catchings play live twice and both were in the tourney at Kokomo. The first game he was good, but tried taking over the game before he was ready. coach sat him for a few and he came in an played well. The next game was against Kokomo and he was just short of phenomenal. One ex Kokomo coach said he was the best player to enter that gym in 20 years. He can play the 2, 3 or 4, but you probably want him having the ball more than the 20% of the time.

I have NOT seen Benter play, but last year Dustin told me Purdue people are going to be surprised how good he is. That was last year and assume nothing has changed...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I have NOT seen Benter play, but last year Dustin told me Purdue people are going to be surprised how good he is. That was last year and assume nothing has changed...
I hope he’s good. Wonder if he can/will be able to contribute right away or if we have to wait 1-2 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
The thing I like about this class, is they all look good right now, but also seem to have the potential for a high ceiling as well, it's just too early to see how high of a ceiling.

Things just keep getting better for Painter on the recruiting trail. This class is ridiculous how he was able to recruit the best class in the B1G Ten, and what should be a top 5 class nationally. Proves that nice guys don't always finish last. Purdue will have to continue recruiting at this level with UCLA and Oregon joining the league. This class will keep us at the top of the polls for years to come. For those who complain about who we didn't get you can't sign them all. I wouldn't want to lose any of these five. My Purdue life is in its special place this mor]

I love your enthusiasm, but we hear the same thing every year. Purdue lands another class of future NBA players! The reality is Purdue has 1 guy currently playing in the NBA.

You can't make a list of Purdue guys who exceeded their rankings without also including a list of guys who didn't live up to their hype. If you look objectively, it's a mixed bag.

If we look at your analysis above, its going to be hard for these guys to collectively meet your expectations.

I guess we can always dream.

I would like to add your reporting on the recruits this past year has been outstanding and much appreciated. Thank you.

I love your enthusiasm, but we hear the same thing every year. Purdue lands another class of future NBA players! The reality is Purdue has 1 guy currently playing in the NBA.

You can't make a list of Purdue guys who exceeded their rankings without also including a list of guys who didn't live up to their hype. If you look objectively, it's a mixed bag.

If we look at your analysis above, its going to be hard for these guys to collectively meet your expectations.

What players are you thinking of that didn’t live up to nba expectations?

Purdue has had a decent amount of guys get drafted into the nba. I think it’s then more so on those guys to figure out how to stick in the nba…especially when they aren’t the five star products that have tons more talent than the typical Purdue player.

It’d be amazing if 3 of these guys somehow make the nba, but realistically, only one will prob get to the nba.

Purdue has a top 10 recruiting class 3 of these guys do has a chance to play in the nba the other one In cox he has a chance as well painter is one of the best coaches in college basketball the guy knows how to develop his player's

Purdue has a top 10 recruiting class 3 of these guys do has a chance to play in the nba the other one In cox he has a chance as well painter is one of the best coaches in college basketball the guy knows how to develop his player's
i like the optimism but it will take a bit for burgess and Jacobsen to get nba ready, if they do at all. If cox is nba bound, then that will be the best painter development that he’s ever done…but I’m not gonna expect anywhere close to that.

I agree no burgess or Jacobsen will not be ready there 1st year at Purdue to play in the nba but after painter and his assistant coaches work with them maybe in 2 years at Purdue they both can play in the nba Jacobsen is a 4 star recruit so he has talent

Reactions: oldboiler52
I agree no burgess or Jacobsen will not be ready there 1st year at Purdue to play in the nba but after painter and his assistant coaches work with them maybe in 2 years at Purdue they both can play in the nba Jacobsen is a 4 star recruit so he has talent
I’d say they both need to play at least 3 seasons before even being in talks to the nba. I’ve seen Jacobsen was 3 star and 4 star from different outlets, but he was also over 100 recruit ranking wise in 2025 and I’d assume he’d be something similar in 2025 if not even higher in 2024. Hope you’re right since it’d be good for Purdue but I don’t see it at this point.

I just moved within a few miles of Milton, MA, so I'm going to try to get to a game and watch Cox play in person. It's definitely a talented class, and they're going to be a blast to watch.
My sympathies to you if you just moved from NC to Mass. I hope you are being paid extremely well for the move.

Very true. I've seen this cycle before: the next class will be awesome; they're sure to put Purdue over the top. By January 2025 we'll realize they're talented players with limitatations, but hey, just wait until the 2025 group gets here!

Purdue is always just one great recruiting class away from that elusive breakthrough.

I'll be happy if these guys work hard, represent Purdue well, and keep the program nationally competitive. If they get Purdue to the FF, that'll be awesome. If not, they'll be in good company.

Very true. I've seen this cycle before: the next class will be awesome; they're sure to put Purdue over the top. By January 2025 we'll realize they're talented players with limitatations, but hey, just wait until the 2025 group gets here!

Purdue is always just one great recruiting class away from that elusive breakthrough.

I'll be happy if these guys work hard, represent Purdue well, and keep the program nationally competitive. If they get Purdue to the FF, that'll be awesome. If not, they'll be in good company.
nice post

What players are you thinking of that didn’t live up to nba expectations?

Purdue has had a decent amount of guys get drafted into the nba. I think it’s then more so on those guys to figure out how to stick in the nba…especially when they aren’t the five star products that have tons more talent than the typical Purdue player.

It’d be amazing if 3 of these guys somehow make the nba, but realistically, only one will prob get to the nba.
We really don't have a lot of guys drafted and if they are they really haven't been able to stick. We've had 3 guys leave early in Painter's 18 years and only one of those guys has a chance at playing more than a couple of years in the NBA.

The NBA expectations game gets thrown around a lot on this board as evidenced by the original post but in this case, I was referring to the idea that some guys are better than expected, some end up not working out and some end up being about what their stars projected. Fans point to Edey and Smith on this team but what about Morton, Newman, TKR and Furst. They all have their strengths, but have Furst and TKR played like top 50 recruits up unto this point?

My point is that we have a recruiting class with players ranked the following by 247
Catchings 22
Burgess 136
Jacobson 191
and Benter and Cox unranked.

Catchings himself makes the class successful but I can't get too excited about the rest of the guys until I see them play, Maybe just maybe, the more likely scenario is that Catching's will have an immediate impact and one or two of these other guys could be in the rotation in a couple of years.

We really don't have a lot of guys drafted and if they are they really haven't been able to stick. We've had 3 guys leave early in Painter's 18 years and only one of those guys has a chance at playing more than a couple of years in the NBA.

The NBA expectations game gets thrown around a lot on this board as evidenced by the original post but in this case, I was referring to the idea that some guys are better than expected, some end up not working out and some end up being about what their stars projected. Fans point to Edey and Smith on this team but what about Morton, Newman, TKR and Furst. They all have their strengths, but have Furst and TKR played like top 50 recruits up unto this point?

My point is that we have a recruiting class with players ranked the following by 247
Catchings 22
Burgess 136
Jacobson 191
and Benter and Cox unranked.

Catchings himself makes the class successful but I can't get too excited about the rest of the guys until I see them play, Maybe just maybe, the more likely scenario is that Catching's will have an immediate impact and one or two of these other guys could be in the rotation in a couple of years.
Maybe what Edey and Smith tell you relative to the other guys mentioned is that rankings don’t always tell you who will be most successful. Like every coach, Painter has had players who exceed their rankings and players who disappoint.

On average, however, Painter has had a high level of success which leaves some fans frustrated or even angry because there is no Final Four and some painful early exits to go with it. Regardless, I think that some fans take the success of the program for granted and forget how hard it is to enjoy a season where your team goes 8-12 in conference and isn’t even in the conversation to play in the NCAA tournament. I’ll go with the nationally respected coach who almost always has a successful team and keep rooting for him to get his Final Four.

Maybe what Edey and Smith tell you relative to the other guys mentioned is that rankings don’t always tell you who will be most successful. Like every coach, Painter has had players who exceed their rankings and players who disappoint.

On average, however, Painter has had a high level of success which leaves some fans frustrated or even angry because there is no Final Four and some painful early exits to go with it. Regardless, I think that some fans take the success of the program for granted and forget how hard it is to enjoy a season where your team goes 8-12 in conference and isn’t even in the conversation to play in the NCAA tournament. I’ll go with the nationally respected coach who almost always has a successful team and keep rooting for him to get his Final Four.
No disagreement here. I was just responding to the initial post. Catchings and a couple of the others will probably be big time contributors, however, chances are one or two of these guys will be nothing more than a footnote in a couple of years.

My sympathies to you if you just moved from NC to Mass. I hope you are being paid extremely well for the move.
My Aunt and Uncle retired to a gentlemens' farm in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains. One of the most gorgeous places I've seen in the US.
They moved back after 7 years because they couldn't tolerate the blatant racism openly exhibited any more.
Ya never know.

My Aunt and Uncle retired to a gentlemens' farm in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains. One of the most gorgeous places I've seen in the US.
They moved back after 7 years because they couldn't tolerate the blatant racism openly exhibited any more.
Ya never know.
My comment was strictly about the sunny mid-south weather that RDU will be leaving behind.

But now that you mention it, Boston has a history of blatant racism involving busing and so forth - not that RDU is necessarily going to be in Boston.

As quasi-farmers, how would your aunt and uncle be in a position to observe blatant racism opening exhibited?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT