ADVERTISEMENT

25 NBA Draft

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
We think our class is talent laden, how about Rutgers? This projected draft has 2 of the top 6 as Rutgers players. Btw. Catchings is @ 22 in this projection.

I actually prefer our class as most will be here awhile, and provide more athleticism at all positions (transfers not withstanding).

Reactions: oldboiler52
We think our class is talent laden, how about Rutgers? This projected draft has 2 of the top 6 as Rutgers players. Btw. Catchings is @ 22 in this projection.

I actually prefer our class as most will be here awhile, and provide more athleticism at all positions (transfers not withstanding).
IUs only 2024 signee going at 11.

Happy for Rutgers, but will they be any good the one year they have these 2 guys ? Aren’t Mag and Cliff gone after this season?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Happy for Rutgers, but will they be any good the one year they have these 2 guys ? Aren’t Mag and Cliff gone after this season?

I actually respect Rutger's coach quite a bit. He likely will be competitive enough to make this coming team a ncaat team. Highly doubt top 3 in B10, more like 4-6. As looking at young guys in the B10 typically have mixed inconsistent results.....unless they can blend in an experienced impactful transfer or 2.

Reactions: rgarlitz

Omoruyi, Mag, and Palmquist, IIRC could all take the extra year of eligibility under the COVID rule. Hyatt, Fernandes, and Austin Williams have no more eligibility. Maybe one of our Rutgers guest/vistors can confirm that and the prospects of the returns.

I expect Rutgers to be a solid team to deal with next season.....might be a little up and down. Griffiths has a lot of potential, too.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Rutgers will probably beat us twice next year. Pickell will put it togther well especially if he gets the covid guys back. Next year is going to be a huge adjustment period for purdue. I have 0 expectations for next years team other than giving the young guys as much run as possible so they are ready for smith/loyer/trk's senior campaign the following year. And the following year will also flush out all of the covid year players narrowing the age descrepencies.

Rutgers will probably beat us twice next year. Pickell will put it togther well especially if he gets the covid guys back. Next year is going to be a huge adjustment period for purdue. I have 0 expectations for next years team other than giving the young guys as much run as possible so they are ready for smith/loyer/trk's senior campaign the following year. And the following year will also flush out all of the covid year players narrowing the age descrepencies.
Why would you have 0 expectations? Purdue returns one of the nations top PG’s, a 2 year starter in Loyer, a starter in TKR, former starter in Furst, add in Colvin along with a top 10 recruiting class. I think Purdue will be top 20 for sure.

It would be nice to play a Rutgers team that has something to lose for a change. That said, I believe they're going to find out that putting together a top ten team involves more than just landing a couple of draft-ready players in one class for one year. They should be good next year but I'm not thinking Big Ten champ or Final Four good.

Why would you have 0 expectations? Purdue returns one of the nations top PG’s, a 2 year starter in Loyer, a starter in TKR, former starter in Furst, add in Colvin along with a top 10 recruiting class. I think Purdue will be top 20 for sure.
I agree. I think next year's Purdue team will surprise people---hopefully like the '95 team that won the B1G the year after Big Dog left (though I'm not expecting it.)

IMO, instead of having 20 minute halves this year, if we had 30 minute halves, instead of going 8 deep, we could have gone 12 deep, and still be in the top 3. Our 11th and 12th guys were that good. I also think that with the continual improvement, the top 20 is a sure thing. And that goes without having to rush our outstanding freshman into the 8-deep rotation.

Reactions: purduedavie

While I do not think R will beat us at Purdue, it has happened before and next year's bunch sure isn't going undefeated at home. If they do get those experienced guys back, big IF, they will be a top 3 B10 team adding that talent.

I actually think Purdue will squeeze out an NCAAT team out of next year's bunch....and be in that 20-35 ranking group.

I do understand that we have a bunch of inexperienced Frosh. Looking around the B10, frosh have been a mixed bag. Not consistent. I think an experienced PG and Center will help balance that out and bring the others along.

We are going to be top 5 in B1G next year. Going to be a different lookin offense and will have a good mix of experience and rookies. I don’t think we will start out as well as we have the last two years but I expect us to figure it out by mid Jan. Gonna be a fun year.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
While I do not think R will beat us at Purdue, it has happened before and next year's bunch sure isn't going undefeated at home. If they do get those experienced guys back, big IF, they will be a top 3 B10 team adding that talent.

I actually think Purdue will squeeze out an NCAAT team out of next year's bunch....and be in that 20-35 ranking group.

I do understand that we have a bunch of inexperienced Frosh. Looking around the B10, frosh have been a mixed bag. Not consistent. I think an experienced PG and Center will help balance that out and bring the others along.
Wow no faith in Smith, Loyer, Heide, TKR, Furst, or Colvin? I think we will finish top 15 and shock some ppl with how we will be. We should be more guard/wing oriented and run and fun type with all the athleticism we have with those guys and the new guys coming in.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Wow no faith in Smith, Loyer, Heide, TKR, Furst, or Colvin? I think we will finish top 15 and shock some ppl with how we will be. We should be more guard/wing oriented and run and fun type with all the athleticism we have with those guys and the new guys coming in.

You must have miss read my post. I did credit Smith & TKR....and said we would be as high as top 20.

You say top 15. That is possible with CMP @ the helm. But top 15 is comparable to Illinois this year. That might be a reach? We will see. No doubt, CMP has done it before with young guys.

Still, looking at the W-L records of 20-35, I am more comfortable saying we are more probable in that group.

Long way off to be sure of anything.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Aka Rec Specs
happy birthday GIF

You must have miss read my post. I did credit Smith & TKR....and said we would be as high as top 20.

You say top 15. That is possible with CMP @ the helm. But top 15 is comparable to Illinois this year. That might be a reach? We will see. No doubt, CMP has done it before with young guys.

Still, looking at the W-L records of 20-35, I am more comfortable saying we are more probable in that group.

Long way off to be sure of anything.
Good post, think 15-25 is a good range, I forgot to post Heide, also, who knows about Berg? He actually looks decent when he gets in, playing against Edey the last two years should help him. Also, who knows, maybe Gillis returns?

IMO, instead of having 20 minute halves this year, if we had 30 minute halves, instead of going 8 deep, we could have gone 12 deep, and still be in the top 3. Our 11th and 12th guys were that good. I also think that with the continual improvement, the top 20 is a sure thing. And that goes without having to rush our outstanding freshman into the 8-deep rotation.
Smith, Edey, Jones, Gillis and Loyer are going to determine how far we go in March. The rest of the guys are just noise.

My post had to do with next year.

However, I think you will be surprised to see Morton, Heidi, Furst. Kaufman-Renn, and Colvin each make some key plays in March. Moreover, if you want to understand the contributions of Waddell, Berg, King, Martin, Barrett, Rayle, and Josh Frust; please go watch the movie, Rudy.

My post had to do with next year.

However, I think you will be surprised to see Morton, Heidi, Furst. Kaufman-Renn, and Colvin each make some key plays in March. Moreover, if you want to understand the contributions of Waddell, Berg, King, Martin, Barrett, Rayle, and Josh Frust; please go watch the movie, Rudy.
Everyone has a role on the Team no doubt, but the 5 guys I mentioned are the key. We need at least 2 of our 3 guards clicking in each game for us to go all of the way. We might get away with having two of those guys having off games once or maybe even twice, but I can't see us going all the way without key contributions from these guys.

A key steal or a couple of key stops certainly can help but it's not going to make up for a poor performances by guys who are going to get 80% of the minutes.

As far as next year's team there is no doubt the difference between our #1 option and our #8 or 9 options will be much less, but it might have something to do with us losing the national player of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT