ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those clamoring for more minutes for Colvin

Good thoughts, generally your dive into the technical aspects of the game are. Here is an add on. As much of folks have been begging for Colvin and early in the season all calling for Zach to take/make a three, I was calling for something else. I had hoped that when Zach popped out to set a screen, he might turn sometimes and hit a short face shot like NBA centers. That would make the offense a little less predictable and help Zach get to the next level. I know long twos are frowned upon these days so I suppose that and lack of confidence in Zach’s shot made that a no go.
I spoke about such a lot back when Matt said Trey would start. I have always wanted to people that could go to the blocks and pop out far enough that they were effective interchanging spots and opposition dictated.

Reactions: Gman544
You know who wants Zach taking those shots? Other teams. It takes away from his HUGE advantage of size and ability to take very high % shots. No reason for him to shoot those consistently in college.
I hear you. Not sure what consistently is. But what if he could hit a few at a decent clip and now Braden is even more open for a drive or shot and hits more? What if that possibility makes Zach’s roll to the hoop even more effective? What if he hit enough to do a shot fake ( which would be ignored now) to gain that 1/10 of a second advantage to pass, roll or shoot? Lots of other bigs who shoot a higher percentage from two feet do this, but yes most are not as dominant as Zach inside. He literally has no competition in there except for a few blocks and the refs allowing hacks. So yes destroying my own point, but thinking out loud, spitballing a bit.

Yeah, I get it that Smith has taken a big step forward and Zach is Zach. He’s great. Braden is still a bit undersized and can at times be sped up, turn it over, and not look for his shot. That being said, as mentioned before, in a single elimination game if one or both of them go cold it gets real tough and if everybody has a bad night then it’s lights out.

As for your other point, why not? If you have ten deep talent, why not use it? I know CMP always says “there’s only 200 minutes” but they could find minutes for those guys if needed and I think the majority of Purdue fans these days are willing to trade a little offense for defense in pursuit of success in March.

Kentucky went 38-1 and to the final four playing 10 deep. Probably win it all if the Harrisons figure out to get Towns the ball against Wisconsin.
I have no problem going 10 deep, if it wins. But Purdue doesn't have UK's roster. None of Purdue players came in NBA ready. Few came in B1G ready.

Purdue has an elite offense and an above average defense. Sacrificing more defense for more offense doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I'd agree if Heide had more than one hero game this year and otherwise hasn't really screamed out start me you won't regret it.

Despite a lot of protestations earlier in the month, I think everyone is more or less on board with the fact that Loyer has slumps and that he's currently in one.

We also know when he's on, he can get you high 20s without breaking a sweat. I don't know that we know that about Heide yet.

I think you start Loyer and see what he has. But if he misses those first few shots, he almost never comes back in the second half. That's when you give more minutes to Heide (first) or Colvin, see if one of them is feeling it, and go from there.

But you gotta see which Loyer you are going to get, because "good" Loyer is a game changer.

Having said that, if Heide pops off a couple more hero games before the tournament ok maybe you rethink things.
Could not disagree more about getting 20 without breaking a sweat. Aren’t Arizona and Tennessee the only games this year where he scored over 20?

Feels like this was the type of game Myles could see some action since the rest of the bench was not productive (Gillis excluded).

When... he's....on.
So he has been on twice this year then? He’s a decent player, but I think those couple of games gave some people an over inflated view of his talent. Those games don’t reflect his true talent level imo. Even Brandon Newman scored 30 in a big ten game before, but that didn’t reflect the type of player he normally is.

So he has been on twice this year then? He’s a decent player, but I think those couple of games gave some people an over inflated view of his talent. Those games don’t reflect his true talent level imo. Even Brandon Newman scored 30 in a big ten game before, but that didn’t reflect the type of player he normally is.
He's the best we've got at the position.

I for one never had an inflated opinion of Newman, had disagreements with many who thought he was the savior of the program if he only played. Like Colvin this year. On Loyer ,he is capable of having big games. This year he did it against two great teams. He kept Purdue in the game early tonight. But as Matt said, even when he is not on, he spaces the floor for Smith, Jones and Edey.

Bring capable of scoring 20+ easily when on doesn't literally mean having to score 20. He was capable of doing it tonight pretty easily he simply didn't force anything and he was a central reason we won the game.

He's had a lot more of those games than Heide or Colvin has had which is I believe one between them (and Heide didn't even do it although it was a game he was capable of doing with a few more shots).

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Bring capable of scoring 20+ easily when on doesn't literally mean having to score 20. He was capable of doing it tonight pretty easily he simply didn't force anything and he was a central reason we won the game.

He's had a lot more of those games than Heide or Colvin has had which is I believe one between them (and Heide didn't even do it although it was a game he was capable of doing with a few more shots).
That guy is a troll, or a whiny Purdue fan who only shows up to complain.

You literally said he could put up 20 or more without breaking a sweat. Fact: he has only scored 20 or more two times the entire year. Guess we’re just going to have to agree disagree.

I think Heide had 18 pts in 19 mins and both Colvin and Heide have had games where they were capable of scoring 20. 9 pts in 7 mins, 11 pts in 17 mins, 8 pts in 12 mins. I wouldn't say that they aren't capable of scoring 20+, but rather that they haven't been given the opportunity to (one could say that they haven't earned the opportunity to). Loyer had 36 mins in both of the games in which he scored 20+. The other 2 haven't logged 20 mins in a game yet.

I think Heide had 18 pts in 19 mins and both Colvin and Heide have had games where they were capable of scoring 20. 9 pts in 7 mins, 11 pts in 17 mins, 8 pts in 12 mins. I wouldn't say that they aren't capable of scoring 20+, but rather that they haven't been given the opportunity to (one could say that they haven't earned the opportunity to). Loyer had 36 mins in both of the games in which he scored 20+. The other 2 haven't logged 20 mins in a game yet.
I don't think hitting a few threes in garbage time against bench players in Colvins case is quite the same as doing it in the heat of the game.

Heide has only scored double figures I believe twice. I don't think they've quite shown it like Loyer has although Heide seems closer than Colvin to me.

You literally said he could put up 20 or more without breaking a sweat. Fact: he has only scored 20 or more two times the entire year. Guess we’re just going to have to agree disagree.
But you think if Loyer doesn't score 27 points, he is playing poorly?

Everyone else seems to have figured it out bud. Not my fault your gears turn more slowly.
You have the ability to write your thoughts out equivalent to that of an 8 year old but my gears are the ones turning slowly. Yeah, ok kid.

You have the ability to write your thoughts out equivalent to that of an 8 year old but my gears are the ones turning slowly. Yeah, ok kid.
Cool story. It's a school night bud. Keep the closet door open and the night light on.

Minor spelling errors happen from time to time, not a big deal. But only one of us can coherently articulate our thoughts, and it’s not you, kid.
LOL Are you still jawing little one? Embarrassment must be a buzz for you. Wait, you'll probably understand it better if I type it as "embarassment."

LOL Are you still jawing little one? Embarrassment must be a buzz for you. Wait, you'll probably understand it better if I type it as "embarassment."
I’m not sure what’s worse, your elementary insults or your sad attempt at analyzing basketball? Ehh, probably a tie. They’re both laughably pathetic, kid.

I’m not sure what’s worse, your elementary insults or your sad attempt at analyzing basketball? Ehh, probably a tie. They’re both laughably pathetic, kid.
Awww, someone has to have the last word doesn't he? Go ahead little one.

Awww, someone has to have the last word doesn't he? Go ahead little one.
Listen kid, don’t be surprised when people respond back to your insults. You started with the personal attacks, and now I’ll go as far as you want to take it. Besides, it’s fun getting you riled up.

I don’t like your answer cuz it’s a poor comparison. Colvin is 18. You could have chosen Someone else that was 18 and playing defense…probably would need to suggest someone in the ncaa since no 18 year old is in the nba right out of high school.

But there a big Difference between being a pro at 15, having 4 years as a pro and comparing that to a kid who hasn’t been pro or played a pro schedule and to a kid who won’t turn 19 until August of this year.

Smith and Loyer were both 19 their Frosh years which is still older than Myles right now. Myles wont be 19 until his sophomore year. Smith and Loyer had to play to fill an need…and learned on the fly. They got exposed at times and Loyer continues to. Smith still isn’t the best on ball defender as shown vs Michigan this Sunday with Burnett cookin him up.

Also, Haarms didn’t play pro before Purdue.
There are many players in the NCAA who have played in Euro leagues before playing in the NCAA. You don’t consider Euro leagues as pro leagues? There are many players who play in the G leagues out of high school. You don’t consider the G leagues as pro leagues? And almost every high school player plays in at least 2 AAU seasons in addition to his high school games.

My point is a simple one. The typical college freshman has played an average of 60 games in his previous year. And many 19 year olds have played a full NBA schedule against much older players.

They should not be tired out playing a college schedule of 32 games. If they can’t hack playing a college schedule and tire out easily and show signs of fatigue, they will probably always show signs of fatigue as they grow older. An 18 year old or 19 year old or 21 year old should be able to play against 25 year old college players without Having issues based on their age.

I recall many BYU athletes who went on Mormon missions and were much older than normal college athletes. I don’t recall many of them being much better than other college athletes just because they were older. There are always a couple of exceptions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT