ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback

Wisconsin definitely dropped 8 on a few plays, but it’s not like they did that all, or even for a majority of the, game. Wisconsin had 6 sacks. 5 of those sacks were from linebackers. Its obvious they were blitzing quite a bit.
On one pick to Thompson I saw two defenders pretty close to him and then Oconnell appears to be expecting a sharp out cut where as Thompson looked to sort of have a lazy curl out.. I haven’t seen the other two yet

The announcers commented on it a bunch. Wisconsin played coverage a lot more than a few times. But yes they also mixed in blitzes to keep us off balance.

Wisconsin is a very good defense and played extremely well yesterday. Our offense didn’t do anything well.
From just watching gamecast and highlights it looks like bell and Durham played well and nobody else did.

im not saying Oconnell had a good day. He didn’t. I think he’s a good QB and theres a lot of bad to go around yesterday. I’m not even sure Kyle Orton would have had a good day yesterday. On one chenal sack I saw it looked like the dude just ran over the interior of our line

No, your post was not fact, TD2. It was filled with your own personal opinion. Animus, maybe.

LOL! When all else fails, go after me, personally.

Talk to Les lately? 😉
You know, there was nothing personal towards you other than my belief you never played the game. As for personal attacks....pot meet kettle. Why can't you admit that Brohm, to date, is a failure and there were better options (I'll give you Les). Year 5 should be a year for a bigger bowl and B10 caliber play, yet other than the win over Iowa (what happens with Wisky beats Iowa next week) Purdue under the offensive genius play calling has sucked. In year 5.

Last edited:
The Plummer fumble and 3 QBs = sack is a reflection of no RBs and very suspect OL. Purdue played a solid defensive WI team that studied our QB system and answered the DB3 coverage quite well.
While I want more from our offense, I have to acknowledge you can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect a win. Some of that was on AOC directly, but the inconsistency on OL getting beat quite often leads to quick decisions that got picked at least twice.

AOC would be a starter on a lot of B1G teams by now. People have to get over that walk on B.S., and if you want to disagree, that is fine. We'll agree to disagree, and I'll stay with Jeff Christensen's opinion as he discovered him and tipped Brohm off. He also has private coached two other current starters in the NFL. I'm not saying AOC is NFL caliber, but he is accurate when given time. What he lacks is scrambling ability and to extend a play to see his receivers get open or throw them open. There were little opportunities for him to do that yesterday and the one time he did, it was an overthrow for a pick. Year in and year out, Purdue will never have a complete NFL ready QB in there system.

Protect the pocket better or role the pocket and max protect and he'll be fine. Zander might be back soon if injury continues to heal and Purdue will be fine. If not, find other players that can protect him such as an H back extra TE.

There is 5 games left to get 2 for bowl eligibility. I look at it and firmly believe we can get 2 possibly 3 wins. Let's see how Purdue matches up against Nebraska next weekend. While I was disappointed in yesterday's play, I'm hopeful that we can get 2 or more wins.

Last comment: Purdue's Joe Tiller passed on Aaron Rodgers for then big and slower Kyle Orton. We did ok then. Woulda, coulda, shoulda hindsight is not possible. Purdue will be fine with a healthy AOC. Just stop taking big sack losses if at all possible throw to the stands with receiver nearby to live another play.
Purdue might be fine with a healthy AOC, but not until the O-line gets some nuts and decide they want to play big boy ball.

Purdue might be fine with a healthy AOC, but not until the O-line gets some nuts and decide they want to play big boy ball.
They are physically unable .. Witt and Miller just aren’t the physical athletes you need to compete in this conference. Think of Eric Miller for a second .. close your eyes. He’s a nice guy I’m sure.. just think of him.

now think of Kelly butler .. Witt is another dude like the guy brohm brought in from a school down there who also didn’t do anything. Again, I’m sure he’ll go pro in something other than football, just not gonna win you big ten games

Holstege probably just needed to not be relied on till at least next year. Give him another year in the weight room and maybe he’s fine or even good next year.

witt is a former two star who is 6’2” 305 playing right guard. Andre oben is a 6’5” 310 RR 5.6 guy .. that’s the kinda guy who could be a solid 6’5” 320 in his third year playing RG taking names.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
You know, there was nothing personal towards you other than my belief you never played the game. As for personal attacks....pot meet kettle. Why can't you admit that Brohm, to date, is a failure and there were better options (I'll give you Les). Year 5 should be a year for a bigger bowl and B10 caliber play, yet other than the win over Iowa (what happens with Wisky beats Iowa next week) Purdue under the offensive genius play calling has sucked. In year 5.
"...other than..." (Those words clearly do not mean what you think they mean.😁)

My personal attacks toward you are, what, exactly? (I mean, other than reminding you of your own words.)

I didn't even comment that we were to glean (from your criticism of me) that you have experience playing, and your experience was that you were replaced and scarred for life. 😉

You believe Brohm is a failure. Nothing is going to deter you from that narrative. Never mind, he still has the job, and is judged by people that matter (presumably smarter than you or me) that he is the person for that job. Your #1 pick, your guy Les, has demonstrated himself not just a failure, but a complete disaster. Since that has happened, your position seems to be that you'll "take the field" vs Brohm and cherry pick which coaches would have been better. (By assuming that strategy, I do not think you are positioning yourself in the manner you think you are.)

I'll continue to remind you, I do not know if Brohm is the answer. Nor am I the one to make that judgement. Right now, he's the head coach, as much as that p*sses you off.

Again, I'll give you credit(?) for continuously sticking your head up on this subject, even if wiser people likely would have laid low, and/or sat out these conversations ...

Reactions: JRowdy20
How many of those were right in the receivers hands. Pat you’re not very bright. The kid throws for 371 against Minnesota and you want him to turn into Charlie ward to mitigate the terrible offensive line in the red zone.

I’d actually respect you if you were on here all last week saying what dog shit he is. As it stands you’re just a flasher waiting to jump out from behind a bush when the offensive line who gives up the third most sacks in the league goes up against the 7th ranked defense in the nation. With 21 yards by our backs I’m sure Wisconsin just didn’t know what was coming lol … they’re playing passing lanes all day. Did you play defense in football even in high school dude

when the DL and one linebacker can completely stuff the run .. the passing lanes go away. That won’t be true against Nebraska
I've been on here a lot longer than you have. And I don't go schizophrenic with 50 different topics on the board at one time. So you might want to reexamine who you're calling "not very bright".

You continue to call O'Connell "good". I called you on it and you defended him like he's your long lost brother. The fact of the matter is he has 8 INTs (tied for 117th) and 7 TDs (tied for 84th). He has fantastic weapons at his disposal (Wright, Sheffield, and Bell - all 4 star receivers). Yes the OL hasn't been good. But the OL was not the problem against Wisconsin. It was O'Connell throwing 3 picks and putting our defense in a terrible position all game. Did you watch the game?

He may be the best Purdue has (unfortunately that's not saying much), but he's also not getting the job done with scoring (13 points vs Illinois, 13 points vs Minny, 7 points vs Wisconsin). Only in one game has he lead the offense to more than 20 points and that's looking like more of a fluke.

Reactions: JRowdy20 and BBG
AOC is legit. The 3 QB experiment is a farce and a joke and has to end today. When you're waiting to be replaced every other play you can't get settled. As I said.....it's a friggin' joke.
AOC is being replaced for the other QB's to run. Not the same at all.

Reactions: BBG
I've been on here a lot longer than you have. And I don't go schizophrenic with 50 different topics on the board at one time. So you might want to reexamine who you're calling "not very bright".

You continue to call O'Connell "good". I called you on it and you defended him like he's your long lost brother. The fact of the matter is he has 8 INTs (tied for 117th) and 7 TDs (tied for 84th). He has fantastic weapons at his disposal (Wright, Sheffield, and Bell - all 4 star receivers). Yes the OL hasn't been good. But the OL was not the problem against Wisconsin. It was O'Connell throwing 3 picks and putting our defense in a terrible position all game. Did you watch the game?

He may be the best Purdue has (unfortunately that's not saying much), but he's also not getting the job done with scoring (13 points vs Illinois, 13 points vs Minny, 7 points vs Wisconsin). Only in one game has he lead the offense to more than 20 points and that's looking like more of a fluke.
Again HE doesn’t score 13 against Minnesota .. he passed for 371. If he had three more linemen blocking as well as a QB who passes for 371 we would have blown out Minnesota out.

hes one of 11 players on offense. He plays with an all world wr, two average linemen, three linemen who can’t play, a meh running back, a talented TE who hasn’t held onto the ball and two good receivers.

that you can’t understand that he’s one of 11 on offense is why we are having these interactions

He’s a good solid QB. When I think of QBs who could have been on that offense and beaten Wisconsin yesterday I’m not thinking good. In my 23 years watching Purdue you’re taking about one man … Orton and painter keep it closer but probably still lose .. all the other good solid QBs we have had from elliott to Blough to sindelar and kirsch would have fared no better this season

I think the problem here is our definitions of GOOD. When I think good I think David Blough.. if we have even matchups with the defense, Oconnell like Blough can deliver the ball and win games.

you think Charlie ward.. that they can have a vastly inferior offense to the defense they are facing and willie Beamon can bust out his invisible juice and single handedly win the game.

a good nba shooting guard to me is Doug Christie.. he was a GOOD player. To you it’s apparently Michael Jordan.

what I am calling good you have defined in your mind as GREAT.

yeah dude Aidan Oconnell ain’t no Steve young. I get it

Last edited:
J

Actually Pat he’s been on here for awhile under many other names. 😂

Reactions: purduepat1969
When you're waiting to be replaced...

That was the point to which I was referring, which is not even close to being correct.

They're not waiting to be replaced, and even if they were that's not relevant. You perform or you get replaced. That's true whether or not 1, 2 or 3 are getting snaps during the game. That was nothing more than another attempted dig at Brohm. It was pretty transparent.
It does not matter if they perform or not...nobody is measurably better than the other...Burton apparently is not capable of even getting on the field short of the gimmick...which raises the question as to why he was even brought in...Plummer only gets on the field now to run, or, after a game is out of reach (despite the fact that he allegedly "won" the "QB competition")...and O'Connell only comes out if Purdue is going to run with the QB, whether he throws the ball directly to the other team or not.

So, to your point...and if it was the point...I agree that none is worried necessarily about being replaced...that said, I don't think any is concerned about it in that they don't have to...whoever is behind them is not better than them...they are not better (at least measurably) than the guys behind them...the problem is that nobody is particularly good at the position.

Yesterday was a complete joke with respect to the musical chairs at the position...more so in that nobody did well per se at it, or, in whatever role they had.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
It does not matter if they perform or not...nobody is measurably better than the other...Burton apparently is not capable of even getting on the field short of the gimmick...which raises the question as to why he was even brought in...Plummer only gets on the field now to run, or, after a game is out of reach (despite the fact that he allegedly "won" the "QB competition")...and O'Connell only comes out if Purdue is going to run with the QB, whether he throws the ball directly to the other team or not.

So, to your point...and if it was the point...I agree that none is worried necessarily about being replaced...that said, I don't think any is concerned about it in that they don't have to...whoever is behind them is not better than them...they are not better (at least measurably) than the guys behind them...the problem is that nobody is particularly good at the position.

Yesterday was a complete joke with respect to the musical chairs at the position...more so in that nobody did well per se at it, or, in whatever role they had.
Well, no, I didn't raise that point, I argued it's not a point/issue. So, I wouldn't at all consider it my point.

Not sure "it was a complete joke". It's not a horrible idea, it is correct to say that it's not working with the way it's being executed.

Credit the staff with looking for a way to be more effective. As some have argued on this forum, when what you're doing isn't as effective as you need to be you have to do something different.

Well, no, I didn't raise that point, I argued it's not a point/issue. So, I wouldn't at all consider it my point.

Not sure "it was a complete joke". It's not a horrible idea, it is correct to say that it's not working with the way it's being executed.

Credit the staff with looking for a way to be more effective. As some have argued on this forum, when what you're doing isn't as effective as you need to be you have to do something different.
It was a complete joke yesterday...to your point...not a horrible idea, if it is done in some form that is at least somewhat effective...yesterday, it was not, and, in general, it has not been.

Purdue does not have good running QBs to begin with, and, the OL just makes it almost impossible.

It was not being executed well at all...so no need as such to continue with it...which is why it was a complete joke yesterday.

If THAT is the answer to being effective or more effective, then shame on the staff...I HAVE to believe they are better than that, and, I truly believe that they are...they NEED to be/do better...they failed as much (and actually more) than anyone yesterday...on both sides of the ball.

Aren’t we all longtime Boilermaker football fans who know our history? I can’t understand how we are pointing the finger at our QB, who came out of nowhere - he was at Wheaton College for goodness sakes. The issue is with our coaching staff and their inability to develop the position while having no capability to adjust to what the defense is doing. Either perfect an offense and dare the D to stop you (Joe tiller) or adjust during the game to what the other team is doing. We don’t do either. It’s a circus on offense and a tired defense. AOC is fine. Is he great? No. Is he serviceable? Yes. Can he beat a top 5 team? Yes, see Iowa (if you feel they were overrated then he beat at least a top 15 team on the road). Coach Brohm needs to get better. That’s the bottom line. Stop blaming the O line. Stop blaming our RBs. Stop blaming the QB play. He needs yo be better. I.e. you don’t call b2b timeouts. Unless it’s overtime, that’s really never a sign of a sideline that is under control. Even tho it worked out yesterday, it’s an indication that things are moving too fast for him. He needs to get better. And I’ll think and hope he will. Bring on Nebraska!

• Love
Aren’t we all longtime Boilermaker football fans who know our history? I can’t understand how we are pointing the finger at our QB, who came out of nowhere - he was at Wheaton College for goodness sakes. The issue is with our coaching staff and their inability to develop the position while having no capability to adjust to what the defense is doing. Either perfect an offense and dare the D to stop you (Joe tiller) or adjust during the game to what the other team is doing. We don’t do either. It’s a circus on offense and a tired defense. AOC is fine. Is he great? No. Is he serviceable? Yes. Can he beat a top 5 team? Yes, see Iowa (if you feel they were overrated then he beat at least a top 15 team on the road). Coach Brohm needs to get better. That’s the bottom line. Stop blaming the O line. Stop blaming our RBs. Stop blaming the QB play. He needs yo be better. I.e. you don’t call b2b timeouts. Unless it’s overtime, that’s really never a sign of a sideline that is under control. Even tho it worked out yesterday, it’s an indication that things are moving too fast for him. He needs to get better. And I’ll think and hope he will. Bring on Nebraska!
How do you adjust to offensive linemen who don’t have the talent to play in the conference

Cmon. We beat a 5-2 Oregon state team and a 2nd ranked Iowa team with that line. Is our line great? No. But that was not the problem yesterday. Not at all. Watch the tape. Watch how many guys they sent. Off the edge. Sanborn and Chanel on almost every play. There were absolutely no adjustments. That’s coaching. We never did anything to cause them to stop. They threw the ball 8 times. We continued to play cover 2 almost exclusively. How about single high safety, m2m on the corners and clog every gap until that below average QB proves he can beat you? Their TE is actually a very good player. Didn’t hear his name once yesterday. Didn’t need to. Our OL isn’t great but that’s not the issue. We need to game plan better. We need to prepare better. We need to adjust better.

Holy sh*t, dude...

Don't take a dump on the entire offensive line.
Two of them are alright (Hartwig will be really good) and one will be next years .. but this year as a unit it ain’t happening .. not a moral thing. Just not able to pull it off

How do you adjust to offensive linemen who don’t have the talent to play in the conference

Two of them are alright

Wha.....................................
Yeah three of them are bad and two are meh .. you’re not gonna have that happen and “try something new” against Wisconsin and have it work out.

I don’t wanna argue with you man.. we been getting along lately

Cmon. We beat a 5-2 Oregon state team and a 2nd ranked Iowa team with that line. Is our line great? No. But that was not the problem yesterday. Not at all. Watch the tape. Watch how many guys they sent. Off the edge. Sanborn and Chanel on almost every play. There were absolutely no adjustments. That’s coaching. We never did anything to cause them to stop. They threw the ball 8 times. We continued to play cover 2 almost exclusively. How about single high safety, m2m on the corners and clog every gap until that below average QB proves he can beat you? Their TE is actually a very good player. Didn’t hear his name once yesterday. Didn’t need to. Our OL isn’t great but that’s not the issue. We need to game plan better. We need to prepare better. We need to adjust better.
One thing that made the line look horrible was Doerue whiffed on Chanel twice on blocks. AOC never had a chance on one and not much chance on the other. Maybe it happened a couple more times not sure. AOC was tipped off on the first one, but still it happened so fast that he had to eat it. At least Saturday, don’t know what adjustments one can make when the execution was poor.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The issue is with our coaching staff and their inability to develop the position while having no capability to adjust to what the defense is doing.
Which is a false statement. The staff has adjusted all season long save maybe the UW game where they made the wrong adjustments. It happens to everyone and is far from a consistent thing this season, in fact the Iowa game proves my point.

Imagine if we had had brought in say someone like Les Miles. That type of coach would of made LEO look like Saban.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
Didn't see one series with uptempo no huddle ..,.....once again offense vanilla...don't know why we're not at least rolling the QB more to bide some extra passing time...but no!!! We will rinse and repeat as usual!!!

rolling the QB more to bide some extra passing time...
Because AOC isn't fast enough to do something like that and Plummer isn't a good alternative? It's not vanilla when your options are limited and reading the injury list, we're limited a lot on offense.

Yeah three of them are bad and two are meh .. you’re not gonna have that happen and “try something new” against Wisconsin and have it work out.

I don’t wanna argue with you man.. we been getting along lately
O'Connell, HE's good...he makes incredible reads. I meant he's a good, solid QB. No, I meant he's the best we have.

The OL doesn't have the talent to play in the Big Ten. The entire OL? No, wait, I meant 2 are meh and 3 are bad...

Can you say a bit all over the place? But yet, I'm the one who's "not too bright"...LMAO...

Doesn't appear as though you're arguing with me, but with your prior post... 😁
Lol
O'Connell, HE's good...he makes incredible reads. I meant he's a good, solid QB. No, I meant he's the best we have.

The OL doesn't have the talent to play in the Big Ten. The entire OL? No, wait, I meant 2 are meh and 3 are bad...

Can you say a bit all over the place? But yet, I'm the one who's "not too bright"...LMAO...

Oconnell is good. The fact that he’s the best we have doesn’t mean that I’m not saying he’s good. Let’s use Joey elliott his senior year and David Blough as the top. Anyone better than Blough in my time watching Purdue is being merely “good.” So, painter then Orton then brees.

you read me in one post saying he’s the best we have and you’re thinking “oh, I got him, because plummer and Burton aren’t good, so merely being better than them doesn’t make him good.

while it is true that he’s the best we have, he can also be in the area between Elliott and Blough… aka good.

next we have gotcha moment two. “The OL doesn’t have the talent to play in the big ten.” Tell me how two of them being “meh” necessarily means that the overall OL is not talented enough for the big ten? I think long is meh, which is all he will ever be. Hartwig is, but only because he’s young. Holstege is below “eh”, but that still could be because he was pressed into action before he should have been. Witt and Miller either have some undisclosed issues severely hampering them or they aren’t good.

the overall OL does not have the talent for this conference, despite the fact that it’s still possible for two of them to be just below ok.

if you’ve decided “I’m dogmatic about this opinion, this guy doesn’t agree with me.. let me make it about him and following him around jocking his posts,” at least ask a clarifying question.

we are facing DLs that are outstanding. Two of our OL being so so, save a very favorable matchup like Iowa, is not gonna cut it. Nebraska is probably the high end of defenses where it will cut it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT