ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback situation for next season

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Purdue has 2 experienced QB's coming off surgery, 1 redshift QB, 1 QB that is enrolling early, and 1 QB who is used more as a receiver. So will Sindelar or Blough be ready to play or does Sipe or Plummer start ? Gonna be a tough first game with Northwestern.

They will both be ready to play. Spring will be interesting.

There is no way in hell Sindelar will be ready by spring ball.

My guess is blough starts against NW. Sindelar will still be 9 months off ACL surgery.

My guess is blough starts against NW. Sindelar will still be 9 months off ACL surgery.

They say Blough won't be back for Spring but i'm not buying it. He'll have had AT LEAST 5 months to recover and rehab from the dislocation. He should be fine. We will need an experienced guy in camp to show the young guys how to do it for the future.

In the fall, yeah I think Blough will be the favorite as far as being 100% and ready to go. And he's the 5th year leader. If Sindelar is fully rehabbed and healthy though, I think he goes out and wins the job 100% for himself. Especially if he plays like he did the last 4 games of 2017.

This is coming from a guy who was a 100% Blough guy up until the Iowa game. Sindelar has gotten vastly better through his experience and is the QB we've been looking for since Orton, IMO.

I'm surprised so many people are underestimating Sindelar. Based on the development I witnessed this past season on a TORN ACL, imagine what he can do as a Junior once he's got some mobility back. Even if not entirely 100%. I think people are still holding against him some things they saw early in the season as a Sophomore, first year in a new system, playing a half-game-at-a-time QB. If healthy, he's the guy the next two years. Sucks he will miss the spring, but I don't see why he can't pick up where he left off in the fall.

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many people are underestimating Sindelar. Based on the development I witnessed this past season on a TORN ACL, imagine what he can do as a Junior once he's got some mobility back. Even if not entirely 100%. I think people are still holding against him some things they saw early in the season as a Sophomore, first year in a new system, playing a half-game-at-a-time QB. If healthy, he's the guy the next two years. Sucks he will miss the spring, but I don't see why he can't pick up where he left off in the fall.

Not holding his sophomore year against him. Holding a torn acl in his plant leg against him

Not holding his sophomore year against him. Holding a torn acl in his plant leg against him

Yeah, I don't think FirstDownB read the post right above him.

I think a lot of people realize that if healthy, Sindelar has earned being "the guy"

I get it, and the big unknown at this point is his recovery time line. We should get a glimpse of where he's at in the spring, when he is cleared to begin running, etc. The good news is he is not a runner to begin with, so unless he is at high risk of re-injury, I think he should be able to play well in a knee brace or without the ability to make sharp cuts. Maybe I'm optimistic because I really was pleased with the development I saw toward the end of the season!

Yeah, I don't think FirstDownB read the post right above him.

I think a lot of people realize that if healthy, Sindelar has earned being "the guy"
I should have clarified, my statement wasn't just about the statements in particular thread. Some have indicated that if Blough plays in the spring then the job should be his even if Sindelar is ready in the fall. That's what I disagree with.

They say Blough won't be back for Spring but i'm not buying it. He'll have had AT LEAST 5 months to recover and rehab from the dislocation. He should be fine. We will need an experienced guy in camp to show the young guys how to do it for the future.

In the fall, yeah I think Blough will be the favorite as far as being 100% and ready to go. And he's the 5th year leader. If Sindelar is fully rehabbed and healthy though, I think he goes out and wins the job 100% for himself. Especially if he plays like he did the last 4 games of 2017.

This is coming from a guy who was a 100% Blough guy up until the Iowa game. Sindelar has gotten vastly better through his experience and is the QB we've been looking for since Orton, IMO.
Not sure where you have read that but Bromh has made comments himself that Blough is surprisingly ahead of schedule and likely could do some non-contact throwing drills like 7 on 7 in the spring. If you watched the bowl game, you saw Blough on the sideline without a boot and no crutches walking/jogging. That is amazing and as Brohm said...he is way ahead of schedule to the point that they are going to see if he can do some of those non-contact drills.

1A: Sindelar
1B: Blough
2: Plummer
3: Sipe
This is dependent on the health of both players and summer camp. Likely Sindelar could take a medical RS year given the time of his surgery. If that is the case:

1: Blough

Not sure where you have read that but Bromh has made comments himself that Blough is surprisingly ahead of schedule and likely could do some non-contact throwing drills like 7 on 7 in the spring. If you watched the bowl game, you saw Blough on the sideline without a boot and no crutches walking/jogging. That is amazing and as Brohm said...he is way ahead of schedule to the point that they are going to see if he can do some of those non-contact drills.

1A: Sindelar
1B: Blough
This is dependent on the health of both players and summer camp. Likely Sindelar could take a medical RS year given the time of his surgery. If that is the case:

1: Blough

IIRC, Sindelar has already taken a redshirt year, so I don't think he could take another.

I hate that Blough lost games to injury this season and don't really expect Sindelar to be ready for spring practice but he still deserves the start if healthy this fall. There is no way we went to a bowl with the rotating QB system that existed up to Blough's injury. Sindelar took advantage of the opportunity and made the most of it.

His performance was what it was. That's not holding it against him, that holding him accountable FOR it.

Big difference.

And, both Blough and Sindelar faced the exact same situation through most of the year. Blough had the better stats. Not sure what he would have done, if the situations were reversed.

With that said, I'm encouraged by how Sindelar finished the season. That's quite an accomplishment for anyone, much more so for someone with a torn ACL.

Finally, expect Brohm to open up the position to any QB going into the fall. Blough might not be 100%, Sindelar might not be 100%, and a younger QB might impress the h*ll out of him!

You’re really that clueless huh?
You are the clueless one! I thought I was being so obviously sarcastic, you'd realize how foolish the original question was! Hint! Next time I make a reply that is less than 500 words, it's pure sarcasm!

I applaud your passion for Purdue football but worrying about who our QB will be in January just strikes me a just a tad too early!

And besides, I can't believe you don't think Alstott would be up for challenge ! Or you can say, my real message is Alstott was one of the last Hazell recruits! He's on scholarship! He's never going to play a down at QB for Purdue. It's past time we found him a new position he can play! We're currently 6 over our scholarship limit and including Alstott we have 6 QBs and no doubt Brohm will add another one next year. I like Alstott and he's a legacy, but we have to find a use for him. And didn't he play QB during one of our spring practices? So my sarcastic suggestion was not that far off! As long as he's on the team, he has to be part of the QB equation . He's actually not that bad

In other words I really don't care who our spring practice QB is! What I care about is having Sindelar healthy in the Fall ! And Alstott ! I can see his last game his senior year the fans start chanting Alstott and then the players start chanting Alstott and the opposing team starts chanting Alstott! And Brohm is forced to send him in for the victory kneel in the bucket game! And the goal posts get torn down by the 80,000 over capacity crowd just to gather one last glimpse! Forget Rudy and that stupid bicycle race movie! We have Alstott! Sponsored by the good hands people - you're in good hands with Alstott. These are the things books and movies are made of. Have you no love Alstott ?

In other words I really don't care who our spring practice QB is! What I care about is having Sindelar healthy in the Fall ! And Alstott ! I can see his last game his senior year the fans start chanting Alstott and then the players start chanting Alstott and the opposing team starts chanting Alstott! And Brohm is forced to send him in for the victory kneel in the bucket game! And the goal posts get torn down by the 80,000 over capacity crowd just to gather one last glimpse! Forget Rudy and that stupid bicycle race movie! We have Alstott! Sponsored by the good hands people - you're in good hands with Alstott. These are the things books and movies are made of. Have you no love Alstott ?
if you don't care then don't answer, problem solved, thanks, Maybe the rest of us like to talk about these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18
You get one redshirt year regardless of cause.

He would need a hardship waiver for a 6th year and he doesn’t have a case
True, and I apologize for not clarifying much better. He could petition for a medical red shirt year and as we know with the NCAA...it almost seems like it is totally random as to if they actually grant it or not. Keith Smith should have been given a waiver....not totally out of the ordinary to potentially get a year again BUT that would be quite the stretch as Nat pointed out.

True, and I apologize for not clarifying much better. He could petition for a medical red shirt year and as we know with the NCAA...it almost seems like it is totally random as to if they actually grant it or not. Keith Smith should have been given a waiver....not totally out of the ordinary to potentially get a year again BUT that would be quite the stretch as Nat pointed out.

Keith smith was correctly denied a waiver. Sucks, but he had a bad case

Sindelar does not have a case that would qualify.

Hope Sindelar, Dr. & Training staff doesn't rush him back to field "on-time". An extra week or two in mid October might benefit extra strength in building muscles to support the ligament. Yes, I'm not a Dr, but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express many times and I've had multiple Arthroscopic surgeries as well.

Reactions: Purdue85
Do you really think Alstott is going to in the same role of Rudy from ND? Honestly, Alstott may never sniff the field and that is largely due to the fact he simply isn't good enough to see the field. Next season at his position, he is likely behind:
Sindelar
Blough
Sipe
Plummer
Sparks
Alstott

Now, crazier things have happened but I doubt 5 QB's get hurt to his way to starting or even playing next year. Following that year (2019-Alstott's sophomore year):
Sindelar
Plummer
Sipe
Sparks
Alstott

2020 (Alstott's junior year):
Plummer
Sipe
Sparks
Likely freshman high level QB recruit
Alstott

2021 (Alstott's Senior year):
Plummer
Sipe
Likely unknown sophomore QB from 2020 class
Likely unknown QB from 2021 class
Alstott

I get it. The kid is the son of probably the second greatest Boilermaker since 1990 to play at Purdue and likely the second best RB behind Keyes overall...but the kid shouldn't play just because of that. I get rooting for a kid to improve but when you are apparently disregarding most facts about the kid, it is a bit over the top. Brohm himself said that had Sindelar not been able to play in the bowl game at some point, Sparks would have been the QB and they would have just run the wildcat ad nauseum. That alone should tip the hand of where Sipe and Alstott were in terms of their development and in Brohm's mind moving forward. Plummer likely is the guy after Sindelar leaves and then holds on to that job while another underclassman is brought along with back him up...unless a better recruit is brought in.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I heard Alstott actually practiced during spring last but had an arm injury and wasn't as effective as he would liked to be! I rate him above Sparks!

He's a year older. He should be healthy. Maybe he's learned the offense Rather than just writing him off as that kid in the corner, I say use him! It's only spring practice . What's the harm?

I heard Alstott actually practiced during spring last but had an arm injury and wasn't as effective as he would liked to be! I rate him above Sparks!

He's a year older. He should be healthy. Maybe he's learned the offense Rather than just writing him off as that kid in the corner, I say use him! It's only spring practice . What's the harm?
You are correct. It is the spring and with the injuries to Blough and Sindelar, he'll get a look with probably the #2's...which he probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. The fact is that Blough likely takes snaps with the 1's in non-contact drills with Plummer and Sipe taking most of the other snaps. Sparks likely spends the off season mostly as a WR but gets some snaps to maintain his throwing skills relative to his usage for next season. Alstott is still behind two younger or equally of aged QB's that are more talented than he is.

Likely, Plummer and Sipe take the snaps with the #1's while Alstott splits with Plummer/Sipe/Banks/Sparks (limited action) while Alstott/Banks/other QB's I can't remember without looking their names up get #3 reps.

Are you guys kidding me?

A projected QB depth chart for 2020 or 2021? Jesus.....Brady Brohm might be the starting QB by 2021?

What was your 2016 Depth Chart that you developed in 2012? Duh...like to see that one?

And this conjecture from prior posters who were encouraging Brohm to recruit and attempt to poach Hunter Johnson from Clemson too? Depth charts for any positions beyond this coming spring are subject to a multitude of changes due to injuries, grades, transfers, position switches (remember Keith Smith),home sickness, criminal activity, pregnant girlfriend, etc, etc

I know you 2 are having fun laying things out for all of us dimwhits... but ......if you are trying to run off Allstott or Sipe or anyone else on this team- you are JERKS!

Don't worry about the schollie limits-Brohm knows what he's doing

Are you guys kidding me?

A projected QB depth chart for 2020 or 2021? Jesus.....Brady Brohm might be the starting QB by 2021?

What was your 2016 Depth Chart that you developed in 2012? Duh...like to see that one?

And this conjecture from prior posters who were encouraging Brohm to recruit and attempt to poach Hunter Johnson too? Depth charts for any positions beyond this coming spring are subject to a multitude of changes due to injuries, grades, transfers, position switches (remember Keith Smith),home sickness, criminal activity, pregnant girlfriend, etc, etc

I know you 2 are having fun laying things out for all of us dufuses... but ......if you are trying to run off Allstott or Sipe or anyone else on this team- you are JERKS!
Can you explain how I have tried to run off a player by speculating where I believe the QB situation may look like? DId you really take offense to what I posted?

My points are two fold ! I like Alstott, But a lot of you laugh in my face at the mear suggestion he could be used as our QB in the spring while Sindelar heals! He's not as bad as you think he is and. He knows the players and playbook.

My other point is if you don't believe Alstott is even worthy of being a spring practice QB, then the time is now to find a new position for him like we did for Sparks. In the past I've suggested he could be a nice back up full back! I want Alstott to stay, but I also want him to be used and a part of the team!

My points are two fold ! I like Alstott, But a lot of you laugh in my face at the mear suggestion he could be used as our QB in the spring while Sindelar heals! He's not as bad as you think he is and. He knows the players and playbook.

My other point is if you don't believe Alstott is even worthy of being a spring practice QB, then the time is now to find a new position for him like we did for Sparks. In the past I've suggested he could be a nice back up full back! I want Alstott to stay, but I also want him to be used and a part of the team!
The original post said who will Start against northwestern. You said Alstott.

Does Plummer have a lot of potential to be the man in a few years? Don't know much about him?

The original post said who will Start against northwestern. You said Alstott.
I included other words in my 2 sentence post! But clip out the words that suit your spin and erase the others I can't believe you of all people didn't detect the sarcasm of my post! That's the last time I try to be brief

As for seniors, doesn't Purdue have a program like Notre Dame that if you stick it out for 4 years, you get to actually play in agame?

I included other words in my 2 sentence post! But clip out the words that suit your spin and erase the others I can't believe you of all people didn't detect the sarcasm of my post! That's the last time I try to be brief

What spin. Why would you bring up the spring game when in the second post when op was discussing opening day?

As for seniors, doesn't Purdue have a program like Notre Dame that if you stick it out for 4 years, you get to actually play in agame?

It is highly likely that if you perform well enough to stay on the team for four years that you will find the field at some time. Don't think there are any promises related to that, just that a skilled player that got recruited should be able to make the two deep chart, sometime.

Sorry. I was unclear. Both will be ready for the season. The spring will be interesting because the other guys will get a bunch of reps. And Blough could be active in Spring too.

Sorry. I was unclear. Both will be ready for the season. The spring will be interesting because the other guys will get a bunch of reps. And Blough could be active in Spring too.

Yeah, if i were brohm, i would bring Blough along slowly. Especially after he dealt with a shoulder and ankle injury.

It will be interesting to see Sipe and plummer.

Yeah, if i were brohm, i would bring Blough along slowly. Especially after he dealt with a shoulder and ankle injury.

It will be interesting to see Sipe and plummer.
I' ll go w/ Blough to start then if he has trouble, Sipe will be the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT