ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Wisconsin: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Three years in a row.

I could talk about growth. I could talk about portal additions. I could talk about metrics.

But nuance doesn't matter to you.
And ... you want to talk about them in the regular season? This team was just as good in the regular season thenlast 2 seasons prior to this and suffered the same fate that this one seems destined to do.

Maybe a loss entering the tourney is what we need as last year we went into it off a win.. but I believe 2 ywars ago we went into it with a loss and still lost to a 15 seed

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
We deserved to lose that one.

No one played well at all.

I don't mind losing but I don't like the way they looked all game.

Painter will definitely have plenty to show them the next week.

Once again free throw shooting bites us, and turnovers.
Agree in part; disagree in others— IMO it was great to see Colvin, furst, and Heide, in the regular rotation, and NOT act like deer in the headlights—

Turnovers in crunch time were maddening, but ideally all this will ensure this team plays with a gargantuan chip on its shoulder next week.

Reactions: Schnelk
Hawkeye fan here. Cheer for the Boilers every opportunity I get. Nothing but respect for Painter and the program. I have one question:

Why does Purdue not get out and push tempo a bit more than they do?

I understand it’s tough with Edey but they certainly have the 1,2,3 to do it with their smart play, ability to make shots, and handle the ball. I’m talking Iowa and Illinois fast. I feel as they find themselves in games strictly because they want to play in the half court with Edey all day. They could absolutely blitz inferior teams if they get out and go. Just a thought I had. Pulling for you guys in March this year. I think Jones is a good addition and should really benefit in the tournament this year.

You seem to be really good at identifying how we lost but then cant admit these are the reasons we lose every game.... like this is something new and random and not something that is a common theme
Lol well no this wasn't the reason we lose every game. We scored plenty of points. This game we played fairly poorly on defense in key spots, missed too many free throws, gave up too many offensive rebounds and too many bad turnovers.

We didn't lose because of bad outside shooting. We didn't lose because a team doubled Edey and we couldn't do anything else.

Edey and Smith were both uncharacteristically sloppy and not smart. Also not usually why we lose.

Agree in part; disagree in others— IMO it was great to see Colvin, furst, and Heide, in the regular rotation, and NOT act like deer in the headlights—

Turnovers in crunch time were maddening, but ideally all this will ensure this team plays with a gargantuan chip on its shoulder next week.
They played with a huge chip today. I'd prefer they play smarter.

Im convinced people like you dont know how to handle losses so you have to put other people down to feel better about yourselves as a way to cope, instead of just admitting the team has major issues.

It is a really weird coping mechanism. Not a single person here is happy we lost, thats the dumbest thing possible to even type with how everyone's reactions are.

But if this is what you need to do to cope then so be it I guess
I’m happy we lost. I’m betting Paint isn’t too upset either.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Yeah. Low energy on loose balls. And as soon as Smith went out with 4 they threw the ball to Wisconsin 4 times in a row. Need a backup PG to transfer in before Thursday.
The passer did not have to pass the ball. That is what was really bad… getting automatic with the ball.

Reactions: A. Ness
I'm not disagreeing with the foul, but "hero ball" when he saw his teammates not know what color their own jerseys were when he sat out is a little much.
Yes hero ball. He took offense to Hepburn's tough defense and instead of simply calling for or waiting for a screen or giving up the ball and giving it back he tried to out dribble Hepburn.

I would agree with you but same story year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year. Different players same coach , same story.
‘Effin snowflake….
You REALLY need to find another team to root for.
My guess is that you already have one.

‘Effin snowflake….
‘Effin snowflake….
Ah, the loyalty to mediocrity. It must be comforting to defend a coach who's been serving up the same lackluster results for two whole decades. Maybe it's time to raise the bar, but hey, who needs progress?

Reactions: titaniumbolt
‘Effin snowflake….
Oh here we go! Another cant cope have to put other posters down to feel better about self kinda guy.

See the difference between those of us trying to talk about the issues is we focus on the facts of the GAME, while your type csnt help but put posters down rather than face reality. We see alot of that in todays political environment today consequently. Hmm

Ah, the loyalty to mediocrity. It must be comforting to defend a coach who's been serving up the same lackluster results for two whole decades. Maybe it's time to raise the bar, but hey, who needs progress?
Bud if this is all mediocre, then Purdue has been mediocre since 1980. And if that's the case then you should just accept that Purdue's been a mediocre program for 44 years now. Right?

So what are you upset about then? Mediocre is who we are by your standards.

Man you keep describing yourself
Oh I know how. I get pissed and like to talk about all the same issues we have, so that it isnt some heart breaking stunner when we get upset again.

Thats certainly a lot more useful than just blindly bashing everyone that points any flaw out instead of being an absolute clown like some people in this thread calling people IU turds for being upset.

Totally meaningless game for Purdue- it was good to see lots of minutes for Heide and Colvin - I wouldn’t be surprised to see either as a game- changer down the road …

More than enough chances to extend the lead, but the TOs in the second half were the difference.

Rest up, and practice draining threes!!!
I don't like this take. They hang banners for BTT championship. If Purdue plays as if doesn't mean anything (and I don't believe they did) they don't learn that lack of effort and attention to detail has consequences. Stupid technical foul, turnovers, missed free throws, not rebounding will get you quick out in the NCAAT where you are going to play a lot better teams than Wiscy. As Painter would say "we need to sit in this one for awhile" and hopefully be prepared for the tournament.

Reactions: tjreese and drewjin
I admit there is some value in not playing tomorrow.

Im not mad that we LOST, im upset HOW the loss happened.

Our guards were MASSIVELY outplayed by ****ing WISCONSIN guards. Our guards are always suddenly the worst guards on the court in every gsme in March we play
It was clear Paint and the team were just going through the motions. I’m not sure it’s a wise choice to make such predictions as you have off of how the team played today.

Bud if this is all mediocre, then Purdue has been mediocre since 1980. And if that's the case then you should just accept that Purdue's been a mediocre program for 44 years now. Right?

So what are you upset about then? Mediocre is who we are by your standards.
Ah, the 'if everyone else is mediocre, then it's okay for us to be mediocre too' logic. Interesting take, but I prefer aiming higher than settling for the status quo. Sure, Purdue has had its ups and downs, but that doesn't mean we should accept mediocrity as our destiny.

Reactions: drewjin
I stayed off the boards today, few things, Purdue deserved to lose. I’m ok with it but why is Smith with 2.6 seconds left with 4 fouls in the game on defense? If there ever was a time to put in the Sr (supposed great defense) Morton that was it. Also, give them a flying flamingo 3, if they hit it so be it, can’t give them a free 2 points. Interior defense, blocking out, turnovers…that will get you. Anyway, real action is next week, get some rest and win 2 games!

It was clear Paint and the team were just going through the motions. I’m not sure it’s a wise choice to make such predictions as you have off of how the team played today.
Thats the thing man, Im not. It has been atleast a full month that I have been saying this. We have been playing this way for atleast the last month.

Agreed. Wisconsin is still fighting for a better seed, and they played like madmen today. We have a #1 seed wrapped up already, and the guys know it. That has to factor in. This game was an outlier compared to other games this year, plain and simple.

Time to rest up, prepare, and kick ass in the NCAAT.

Reactions: RossMackey
Yes hero ball. He took offense to Hepburn's tough defense and instead of simply calling for or waiting for a screen or giving up the ball and giving it back he tried to out dribble Hepburn.
He was two dribbles from the pick. I agree he was overly emotional. But again, who else would you give the ball to there? Let's get Phil Jackson to zen him down before Thursday.

Reactions: RossMackey
This game was lost when Edey had to sit for a stupid technical. We had separation early in this game..but then when he went out, it allowed Wisconsin to catch up and stay even by halftime.
Not sure it was lost but certainly handicapped Purdue and was a huge reason for what followed. Yesterday Matt called Mason and Zach over to tell them not to do what Zach did today

Reactions: Gesysp
OK. Who do you think will come to Purdue and improve its chances of reaching the Final Four and winning a national championship? Not who you'd like to come--who you think will come after you fire a coach who has had his team ranked in the top 5 most of the last two years. Name that coach. You are now on the clock.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
OK. Who do you think will come to Purdue and improve its chances of reaching the Final Four and winning a national championship? Not who you'd like to come--who you think will come after you fire a coach who has had his team ranked in the top 5 most of the last two years. Name that coach. You are now on the clock.
Gee, how about the COACH adjusts and wakes the **** up to reality?

Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for him to play some zone when it makes sense too or to recruit shot creating wings or to tailor an offense around basketball that translates to tournament play such as elite wing and guard play and shot creating/making???

It is such a ****ing simple fix and he REFUSES.

Our guards and wings ALWAYS play their best basketball early in the year and their worst at the end of the year. I cant ****ing imagine why

He was two dribbles from the pick. I agree he was overly emotional. But again, who else would you give the ball to there? Let's get Phil Jackson to zen him down before Thursday.
I don't know why you keep asking a question I've already answered twice.

Please quit with the, “we can’t do any better BS.” We have a team that is primed to step to the next level. Great fans, facilities, players, etc…. We have CMP to thank for that. But, as he is almost completely unable to adjust his coaching, he’ll never get us there.

Ah, the 'if everyone else is mediocre, then it's okay for us to be mediocre too' logic. Interesting take, but I prefer aiming higher than settling for the status quo. Sure, Purdue has had its ups and downs, but that doesn't mean we should accept mediocrity as our destiny.
I didn't say everyone else. I said Purdue. Painter's success mirrors Keadys fairly closely. So what you are complaining about is why a historically mediocre team for literally generations by your standards hasn't elevated itself.

So hall of fame Keady was mediocre too right?

Look it's fine to criticize Painter for not doing better in the tournament. It's something he has to figure out. It's a real problem to this point.

That's a far cry from "mediocre."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT