ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Iowa: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Look out. A few guys (Dix, Sanforth )on Iowa shooting over 50% on threes the last three games.
Sanforth particularly hot. Purdue coming off a rivalry high and facing a team they beat badly last time. If they come out like they did at Nebraska and let Iowa get their head up, it could be a close game.

This one will be a LOT tougher. Iowa is on a 3-game win streak and are shooting better than when they came to Mackey. I would not be shocked with a loss today (no one should ever be shocked with a B1G road loss.. ever really. Aren't we past calling a road loss a shocker?), but if our guys play well, we should get a road win. Mainly I want us to do well enough to get to at least a FranCon 3. :D

BhaJbdrCYAEdZBz

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Also, speaking of Carver-Hawkeye, I just had a core memory unlocked. :D

I think it was the January 14 1995 game vs. then ranked Iowa, we are at Iowa and wasn't Purdue down "big" (can't remember how many points, but we had basically "lost") with less than 2 minutes to go and we had some miracle ending that involved turnovers, Todd Foster, Keady never giving up and a barrage of 3's to win the game? I just looked and sadly this game is not on YouTube. Anyone remember this post-Big Dog era barn burner?

EDIT, found the UPI write up!

IOWA CITY, Iowa, Jan. 14 -- Todd Foster hit three free throws as Purdue scored five points in the final 28 seconds Saturday, lifting the Boilermakers to an 84-83 Big Ten upset of No. 18 Iowa. The Hawkeyes (11-5, 1-3 Big Ten) held an 83-79 lead with 34 seconds left, but Herb Dove hit a jumper for his only points to pull the Boilermakers (11-5, 2-2) within two with 28 seconds left.

Foster then hit a pair of free throws following an offensive foul by Andre Woolridge to tie the game at 83-83 with 16 seconds remaining. Woolridge then committed his second straight turnover as he dribbled the ball off his foot. On the ensuing inbounds play, Foster was fouled by Ryan Bowen with 3.6 seconds remaining, hitting one of two free throws to make the final margin. A desperation attempt by Woolridge from midcourt fell short at the final buzzer. Iowa, which lost its third straight conference game, was led by Woolridge's 22 points. The Boilermakers were led by Cuonzo Martin, who scored 23 points. Martin scored 15 points in guiding Purdue to a 50-37 halftime lead. But with Iowa trailing 58-49 with 13:30 remaining, the Hawkeyes used a 10-0 run to surge to a 59-58 lead with 11:00 left. Iowa held that lead until Foster's final free throw.

Reactions: Schnelk
Also, speaking of Carver-Hawkeye, I just had a core memory unlocked. :D

I think it was the January 14 1995 game vs. then ranked Iowa, we are at Iowa and wasn't Purdue down "big" (can't remember how many points, but we had basically "lost") with less than 2 minutes to go and we had some miracle ending that involved turnovers, Todd Foster, Keady never giving up and a barrage of 3's to win the game? I just looked and sadly this game is not on YouTube. Anyone remember this post-Big Dog era barn burner?

EDIT, found the UPI write up!

IOWA CITY, Iowa, Jan. 14 -- Todd Foster hit three free throws as Purdue scored five points in the final 28 seconds Saturday, lifting the Boilermakers to an 84-83 Big Ten upset of No. 18 Iowa. The Hawkeyes (11-5, 1-3 Big Ten) held an 83-79 lead with 34 seconds left, but Herb Dove hit a jumper for his only points to pull the Boilermakers (11-5, 2-2) within two with 28 seconds left.

Foster then hit a pair of free throws following an offensive foul by Andre Woolridge to tie the game at 83-83 with 16 seconds remaining. Woolridge then committed his second straight turnover as he dribbled the ball off his foot. On the ensuing inbounds play, Foster was fouled by Ryan Bowen with 3.6 seconds remaining, hitting one of two free throws to make the final margin. A desperation attempt by Woolridge from midcourt fell short at the final buzzer. Iowa, which lost its third straight conference game, was led by Woolridge's 22 points. The Boilermakers were led by Cuonzo Martin, who scored 23 points. Martin scored 15 points in guiding Purdue to a 50-37 halftime lead. But with Iowa trailing 58-49 with 13:30 remaining, the Hawkeyes used a 10-0 run to surge to a 59-58 lead with 11:00 left. Iowa held that lead until Foster's final free throw.
I'm sure this game will be closer than the game in Mackey due to Iowa should shoot better at home, but they don't match up at all vs our Bigs , we win by 12, maybe the hawks have Brian Ferentz come in the lockeroom for an offensive pep talk

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It's the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (16-2; 5-2) visiting Carver Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City to take on the home-standing Iowa Hawkeyes (11-6; 3-3) in another key early conference tilt. Tip is scheduled for approximately 2:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Iowa - Owen Freeman, Ben Krikke, Payton Sandfort, Josh Dix, and Tony Perkins

Iowa is coming off a 86-77 win at Minnesota earlier this week, and Purdue won at Indiana, 87-66. The Hawkeyes have gone 8-1 at home and are is fifth in college basketball with 87.1 points per game, shooting 48.1% from the field. The two teams met at Purdue back in early December with the Boilers taking that one, 87-68, in a game where they led by 30+ in the second half. Zach Edey led Purdue with 25 points and 12 rebounds on 9-of-10 shooting from the field. Iowa was led by Ben Krikke with 16 points and seven boards.

Expect this game to be a closer contest.

Iowa is at 48 in the NCAA NET rankings and has been playing well of late, as the Hawkeyes have won six of their last seven games. Against Minnesota this week, the Hawkeyes controlled the game from the outset led by Krikke's 25 points and 21 from Josh Dix. Iowa shot 54% from the field (3-of-13 3pt) and held the Gophers to just 17% (5 of 29) from long range. KenPom has the Hawkeyes at 42nd overall and 17th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. Their issues start on the defensive end where they rank 111th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency. Head coach Fran McCaffrey's son Patrick is listed as questionable for this game with an ankle injury. He's averaging 9.9 points on 42.6% shooting and last played on Jan. 12 vs. Nebraska (94-76 win). He had eight points and five boards in the first matchup against Purdue.

Krikke, the Valparaiso transfer, leads the Hawkeyes with 16.9 points, adding 5.4 rebounds on 59.5% shooting (45.5% 3pt). Payton Sandfort (6-7, 215) adds 14.2 points and 6.9 rebounds. A critical player today is likely to be Owen Freeman, who averages 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds with 1.8 blocks, as he'll have the difficult task of guarding/attempting to guard or help guard Zach Edey, who is starting to get back in rhythm after a couple of difficult games against Illinois and Nebraska.

Overall, Iowa averages 87.1 points (5th) on 48.1% shooting and 34.9% from long range, They allow 77.5 points per game (318th) on 44.6% shooting (258th) and 32.4% from long range.

This is a better match-up for Purdue than some of the other conference teams, but they'll still need to execute well - take care of the possessions and control the glass. Iowa is still capable of scoring in bunches, even if they're not as adept at the long-range shooting. Purdue needs another focused effort and can't let the crowd really help the opponent like Nebraska. If they can get the lead early (like with Indiana, and the first game with Iowa), that will go a log way for them to control the pace of the game. Purdue should get plenty of good shooting opportunities if they are patient and don't turn the ball over.

Can the Boilers keep things rolling away from home? We shall see, starting in about 90 minutes or so......

Boiler up, my friends...

i
i

Purdue is favored by 6 1/2 which seems about right. Iowa needs this win for their NCAA Tournament resume and if they get hot, they could present some real issues to the Purdue defense, but I like the matchup on the other end of the court. This could be Purdue’s highest scoring road game of the season.

Smith struggled shooting last time out against Iowa, so hopefully we get more scoring from him this go-around, especially with the attention Edey and TKR will command since Iowa didn't do a good job on either of them in Mackey. Saying that, I also fully expect McCaffery to have a much better game at home than in Mackey and for Iowa to shoot better overall.

Iowa is a team with matchups that favor our bigs, and also where Smith and Loyer normally lick their chops looking to score, so without jinxing it, Purdue's offense should give them a good edge... need to also make sure we limit turnovers like last time (8).

Iowa's 3 ball can keep them in any game, but I think they'll need more than that to beat Purdue. Unless they somehow get Edey and TKR in foul trouble or constantly beat us on backdoor screens, I think it will be difficult for them to keep up.

Still snowed (iced) in, in Lynchburg. 60’s next week so I have hope.

Boiler Up!

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It's the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (16-2; 5-2) visiting Carver Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City to take on the home-standing Iowa Hawkeyes (11-6; 3-3) in another key early conference tilt. Tip is scheduled for approximately 2:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX Sports 1.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Iowa - Owen Freeman, Ben Krikke, Payton Sandfort, Josh Dix, and Tony Perkins

Iowa is coming off a 86-77 win at Minnesota earlier this week, and Purdue won at Indiana, 87-66. The Hawkeyes have gone 8-1 at home and are is fifth in college basketball with 87.1 points per game, shooting 48.1% from the field. The two teams met at Purdue back in early December with the Boilers taking that one, 87-68, in a game where they led by 30+ in the second half. Zach Edey led Purdue with 25 points and 12 rebounds on 9-of-10 shooting from the field. Iowa was led by Ben Krikke with 16 points and seven boards.

Expect this game to be a closer contest.

Iowa is at 48 in the NCAA NET rankings and has been playing well of late, as the Hawkeyes have won six of their last seven games. Against Minnesota this week, the Hawkeyes controlled the game from the outset led by Krikke's 25 points and 21 from Josh Dix. Iowa shot 54% from the field (3-of-13 3pt) and held the Gophers to just 17% (5 of 29) from long range. KenPom has the Hawkeyes at 42nd overall and 17th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. Their issues start on the defensive end where they rank 111th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency. Head coach Fran McCaffrey's son Patrick is listed as questionable for this game with an ankle injury. He's averaging 9.9 points on 42.6% shooting and last played on Jan. 12 vs. Nebraska (94-76 win). He had eight points and five boards in the first matchup against Purdue.

Krikke, the Valparaiso transfer, leads the Hawkeyes with 16.9 points, adding 5.4 rebounds on 59.5% shooting (45.5% 3pt). Payton Sandfort (6-7, 215) adds 14.2 points and 6.9 rebounds. A critical player today is likely to be Owen Freeman, who averages 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds with 1.8 blocks, as he'll have the difficult task of guarding/attempting to guard or help guard Zach Edey, who is starting to get back in rhythm after a couple of difficult games against Illinois and Nebraska.

Overall, Iowa averages 87.1 points (5th) on 48.1% shooting and 34.9% from long range, They allow 77.5 points per game (318th) on 44.6% shooting (258th) and 32.4% from long range.

This is a better match-up for Purdue than some of the other conference teams, but they'll still need to execute well - take care of the possessions and control the glass. Iowa is still capable of scoring in bunches, even if they're not as adept at the long-range shooting. Purdue needs another focused effort and can't let the crowd really help the opponent like Nebraska. If they can get the lead early (like with Indiana, and the first game with Iowa), that will go a log way for them to control the pace of the game. Purdue should get plenty of good shooting opportunities if they are patient and don't turn the ball over.

Can the Boilers keep things rolling away from home? We shall see, starting in about 90 minutes or so......

Boiler up, my friends...

i
i
Freeman's grandmother passed away friday, could affect his play

Should be a good game - need to limit our turnovers and limit their offensive rebounds. Hope this is the game Smith gets back into his rhythm.
I expect Smith to go for 14 - 16 after the iu outing, yea limit those 2nd and 3rd chances for them, and improve our interior defense as a whole

Reactions: Schnelk
Kalkbrenner making his presence known....maybe that will be enough to end this. Baylor and Texas have been battling all game - tight one in Austin down the stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT