ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State (Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good Saturday afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, it's the #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers visiting the Breslin Center in East Lansing to take on the Michigan State Spartans in another key contest in the Big Ten conference with the regular season nearing the finish. Tip-off is set for just around noon (Eastern) with television coverage on ESPN. This is the only scheduled regular season meeting between Purdue and Michigan State this year.

Although these two teams appear headed in opposite directions - Purdue has won nine of ten and is tied with Wisconsin at the top of the standings @ 13-4 (24-4 overall), while Michigan State has lost five of its last six and slipped to a tie for seventh @ 9-7 (18-9 overall) - Michigan State is quite capable of pulling the upset. They are talented but have been about the most inconsistent as any Tom Izzo team in recent years. They are coming off a poor performance earlier in the week at Iowa, losing 86-60, so I expect the Boilers will get Michigan State's best effort today. Gabe Brown leads the team in scoring at just 11.4 points per game, but six others average more than 18 minutes and 6.5 points. Forwards Marcus Bingham Jr. and Malik Hall combine for more than 19 points and 11 rebounds, and Bingham averages 2.3 blocks per game, third-most in the conference. I would expect the Spartans' front court to challenge Zach Edey and Trevion Williams in the middle, and the Spartans can make things tough on shooters. They are second in the conference in both 3-point defense (30.7%) and field-goal percentage defense (40.6%) and average 5.4 blocks and almost six steals.

Purdue is coming off a home victory over Rutgers last Sunday and has been off since then. We'll see if the extended break after a tough stretch makes a difference today - hopefully Purdue will stay sharp, as they played one of their better games in this period. Jaden Ivey still leads Purdue in scoring at 17.3 points per game, and he scored 25 in Sunday's victory. Zach Edey had 15 points and seven rebounds, and fellow big man Trevion Williams scored 11 and had four boards off the bench. I look for Purdue to continue to work the paint with the Edey/Williams combo and establish the inside presence. Jaden Ivey should continue to probe for opportunities in the half-court and in transition - and Sasha Stefanovic, Eric Hunter Jr, Mason Gillis, Isaiah Thompson, and Ethan Morton should have good chances to knock down outside shots, when Purdue is executing on offense.

The Spartans have gone 10-3 in home games. Michigan State ranks third in the Big Ten with 16.0 assists per game led by A.J Hoggard averaging 5.1. Malik Hall is averaging 7.1 points and 3.4 rebounds while shooting 47.0% over the past 10 games for Michigan State. Purdue will need to stay focused on defense and keep Hoggard off balance - they also can't let anyone get hot from the outside. Mason Gillis and Caleb Furst could also be keys to this game with Michigan State's frontcourt. If they also limit the turnovers and control the glass, I like the Boilers' chances in a hostile environment against a dangerous team in need of a big win. Purdue spent a good part of the early conference season playing catch-up in the standings, but now it is in good position with a lot in front to play for....a trip to Madison to face the Wisconsin Badgers is looming as well. But, first things first - they must handle Michigan State. Can the Boilers play smart and focused and keep things rolling? These are the games that must be won to put a team in the best position. Are they up to the challenge?

We shall see.......

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good Saturday afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, it's the #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers visiting the Breslin Center in East Lansing to take on the Michigan State Spartans in another key contest in the Big Ten conference with the regular season nearing the finish. Tip-off is set for just around noon (Eastern) with television coverage on ESPN. This is the only scheduled regular season meeting between Purdue and Michigan State this year.

Although these two teams appear headed in opposite directions - Purdue has won nine of ten and is tied with Wisconsin at the top of the standings @ 13-4 (24-4 overall), while Michigan State has lost five of its last six and slipped to a tie for seventh @ 9-7 (18-9 overall) - Michigan State is quite capable of pulling the upset. They are talented but have been about the most inconsistent as any Tom Izzo team in recent years. They are coming off a poor performance earlier in the week at Iowa, losing 86-60, so I expect the Boilers will get Michigan State's best effort today. Gabe Brown leads the team in scoring at just 11.4 points per game, but six others average more than 18 minutes and 6.5 points. Forwards Marcus Bingham Jr. and Malik Hall combine for more than 19 points and 11 rebounds, and Bingham averages 2.3 blocks per game, third-most in the conference. I would expect the Spartans' front court to challenge Zach Edey and Trevion Williams in the middle, and the Spartans can make things tough on shooters. They are second in the conference in both 3-point defense (30.7%) and field-goal percentage defense (40.6%) and average 5.4 blocks and almost six steals.

Purdue is coming off a home victory over Rutgers last Sunday and has been off since then. We'll see if the extended break after a tough stretch makes a difference today - hopefully Purdue will stay sharp, as they played one of their better games in this period. Jaden Ivey still leads Purdue in scoring at 17.3 points per game, and he scored 25 in Sunday's victory. Zach Edey had 15 points and seven rebounds, and fellow big man Trevion Williams scored 11 and had four boards off the bench. I look for Purdue to continue to work the paint with the Edey/Williams combo and establish the inside presence. Jaden Ivey should continue to probe for opportunities in the half-court and in transition - and Sasha Stefanovic, Eric Hunter Jr, Mason Gillis, Isaiah Thompson, and Ethan Morton should have good chances to knock down outside shots, when Purdue is executing on offense.

The Spartans have gone 10-3 in home games. Michigan State ranks third in the Big Ten with 16.0 assists per game led by A.J Hoggard averaging 5.1. Malik Hall is averaging 7.1 points and 3.4 rebounds while shooting 47.0% over the past 10 games for Michigan State. Purdue will need to stay focused on defense and keep Hoggard off balance - they also can't let anyone get hot from the outside. Mason Gillis and Caleb Furst could also be keys to this game with Michigan State's frontcourt. If they also limit the turnovers and control the glass, I like the Boilers' chances in a hostile environment against a dangerous team in need of a big win. Purdue spent a good part of the early conference season playing catch-up in the standings, but now it is in good position with a lot in front to play for....a trip to Madison to face the Wisconsin Badgers is looming as well. But, first things first - they must handle Michigan State. Can the Boilers play smart and focused and keep things rolling? These are the games that must be won to put a team in the best position. Are they up to the challenge?

We shall see.......

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
DO you have a side-hustle writing sports anlysis for your local paper?

Says ESPN/ESPN3 and Aub/Tenn is on ESPN. I live in Kentucky so I probably need to figure out ESPN3 since the other game is two ranked SEC teams and Disney owns the SEC & ESPN.

Says ESPN/ESPN3 and Aub/Tenn is on ESPN. I live in Kentucky so I probably need to figure out ESPN3 since the other game is two ranked SEC teams and Disney owns the SEC & ESPN.
Here in Tennessee it shows the Purdue game on ESPN.

I thought Auburn Tennessee is later in the afternoon (4:00 Eastern/3:00 Central). Kentucky Arkansas is (2:00 Eastern/1:00 Central) on CBS for what shows here.

Hunkered down at my favorite table at my favorite BDubs. Let’s go!!! Beat Izzo!! BTFU

My main concern in this game is Malik Hall driving to the basket, our guys collapsing on him, leaving others wide open for 3 point shots. Hopefully this teams stays disciplined. Does Gillis guard Hall? I'm assuming that will be the case...

Reactions: TX4GB
My Hulu says Dominican Republic vs Puerto Rico in the channel guide but the description shows Mich St vs Purdue so who knows.
Mine says the same. It is ESPN so I guess it depends on which one has the greatest socially redeeming value.

SIAP, Anyone know why the spread went from -3.5 to -5 this morning?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT