ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Indiana (Game Thread)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good evening Ladies & Gentlemen. The #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers travel to Bloomington to take on the Indiana Hoosiers in what shapes up to be a very intriguing contest in this series. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on FS1. The Boilers are 4-2 (15-2 overall) in conference play, having won three straight and coming off an impressive road win at Illinois. The Hoosiers are 4-3 (13-4 overall) and looking to climb higher in the standings. Purdue has won the last nine in this series, although many have been competitive contests in Bloomington.....odds are at some point, the streak will end.....will it be tonight? The Boilers are rightfully favored and probably have more paths to a victory. However, this is a better defensive team than Purdue has seen from the Hoosiers in a while, and in Mike Woodson's first year as head coach, they have the type of players who could prevail if they play well and get significant contributions from the wing. They'll likely need the Boilers to be off target a little as well.

The Boilers are still one of the top offensive teams in the nation, ranking in the top 10 with an average of 86.2 points. Jaden Ivey leads Purdue's backcourt scoring a team-high 16.4 points per game while fellow sophomore Zach Edey at center is contributing 15.6 along with 7.5 rebounds. Ivey was one of five players in double figures in Monday's 96-88 double-overtime triumph at #-17 Illinois with 19 points and has produced 10 or more in 16 of his 17 games. Edey poured in 20 points against the Fighting Illini, marking the fourth time in five outings he has reached that mark. With all of that, Sasha Stefanovic led Purdue against Illinois with 22. Purdue has scored at least 90 points on a nation-best nine occasions this season and has done so in back-to-back conference games for the first time since February 1998. The Boilermakers have been receiving strong contributions from their reserves, who have amassed 25 or more points in 12 consecutive contests. Most of the time, that has been led by all-conference player Trevion Williams, who's averaging 13.4 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest.

The Hoosiers have been outstanding at home this season, winning all 11 of their contests. Much of the success can be credited to their defensive play, as they rank first in the Big Ten in field-goal percentage defense (36.5) and scoring defense (62.7). On offense, Trayce Jackson-Davis, an all-conference player, leads Indiana in both scoring and rebounding as he is averaging 19.5 points and 9.1 boards per game. Race Thompson will also be a player that Purdue will need to contain - he's providing 10.9 pts and 7.5 rebounds per game and can battle well in the paint. Purdue's defense in the last couple of weeks has improved; this will be another key game to see where things stand on that end of the floor - another solid effort this evening, and the Boilers will be difficult to beat.

A lot of this game will depend upon which team is able to assert itself more and ultimately - which team can execute better. I expect Indiana to try and establish Trayce Jackson-Davis inside and perhaps get to the FT line a lot, and in the process put Purdue's front court in foul trouble. Purdue may counter with doubling sometimes and switching. I think the Hoosiers' guards/wings will get some opportunities - if they can hit some outside shots, that will really open things up for Indiana and put Purdue in a difficult spot. They'll also likely try to pressure the Boilers looking to force some turnovers and get some offense in transition. I look for Purdue to also try to establish a post presence - Indiana is potentially vulnerable there. The Boilers will need to hit some long-range shots - Jaden Ivey was held in check from the field against Illinois, but I expect he'll have a better game tonight, and if Sasha Stefanovic has a game somewhat similar to Monday's - Indiana will be in a quandary.

Both teams need some help from the bench - Eric Hunter, Jr. is coming off two straight really nice games - if he and Ethan Morton can provide solid production, Purdue really gains an edge. The other x-factor is how the game is called and if foul trouble occurs. Indiana can't afford to have Trayce Jackson-Davis or Race Thompson get into any serious foul issues, and Purdue needs Jaden Ivey and Sasha Stefanovic to be available for 30+ minutes. Should either Zach Edey or Trevion Williams pick up a couple of early fouls, that could change the game flow as well.

In the end, for the Boilers - it's really about executing on both ends of the floor - maximizing possessions without turnovers, maintaining an edge on the boards, get the better shot, and force Indiana into the difficult offensive possessions. If they do that most of the night, they should be in good shape. They also can't let the crowd take them out of their game. I won't really be surprised either way with how this game turns out. I like the way Purdue has played the last few games for the most part, but there are still enough inconsistencies and points where they struggle at times. This Indiana team is better than what some give them credit for, IMO - however, to be fair, they haven't had that many tough teams to be really challenged coming into tonight. It's another good test for both teams, and it's always tough to win on the road in this conference. We shall see who is the better team for tonight's game.

I may not be able to join you for the game - so enjoy it.....stay safe, warm, and healthy. Safe travels to those on the roads.......

Boiler up, my friends....

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good evening Ladies & Gentlemen. The #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers travel to Bloomington to take on the Indiana Hoosiers in what shapes up to be a very intriguing contest in this series. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 pm (Eastern) with television coverage on FS1. The Boilers are 4-2 (15-2 overall) in conference play, having won three straight and coming off an impressive road win at Illinois. The Hoosiers are 4-3 (13-4 overall) and looking to climb higher in the standings. Purdue has won the last nine in this series, although many have been competitive contests in Bloomington.....odds are at some point, the streak will end.....will it be tonight? The Boilers are rightfully favored and probably have more paths to a victory. However, this is a better defensive team than Purdue has seen from the Hoosiers in a while, and in Mike Woodson's first year as head coach, they have the type of players who could prevail if they play well and get significant contributions from the wing. They'll likely need the Boilers to be off target a little as well.

The Boilers are still one of the top offensive teams in the nation, ranking in the top 10 with an average of 86.2 points. Jaden Ivey leads Purdue's backcourt scoring a team-high 16.4 points per game while fellow sophomore Zach Edey at center is contributing 15.6 along with 7.5 rebounds. Ivey was one of five players in double figures in Monday's 96-88 double-overtime triumph at #-17 Illinois with 19 points and has produced 10 or more in 16 of his 17 games. Edey poured in 20 points against the Fighting Illini, marking the fourth time in five outings he has reached that mark. With all of that, Sasha Stefanovic led Purdue against Illinois with 22. Purdue has scored at least 90 points on a nation-best nine occasions this season and has done so in back-to-back conference games for the first time since February 1998. The Boilermakers have been receiving strong contributions from their reserves, who have amassed 25 or more points in 12 consecutive contests. Most of the time, that has been led by all-conference player Trevion Williams, who's averaging 13.4 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest.

The Hoosiers have been outstanding at home this season, winning all 11 of their contests. Much of the success can be credited to their defensive play, as they rank first in the Big Ten in field-goal percentage defense (36.5) and scoring defense (62.7). On offense, Trayce Jackson-Davis, an all-conference player, leads Indiana in both scoring and rebounding as he is averaging 19.5 points and 9.1 boards per game. Race Thompson will also be a player that Purdue will need to contain - he's providing 10.9 pts and 7.5 rebounds per game and can battle well in the paint. Purdue's defense in the last couple of weeks has improved; this will be another key game to see where things stand on that end of the floor - another solid effort this evening, and the Boilers will be difficult to beat.

A lot of this game will depend upon which team is able to assert itself more and ultimately - which team can execute better. I expect Indiana to try and establish Trayce Jackson-Davis inside and perhaps get to the FT line a lot, and in the process put Purdue's front court in foul trouble. Purdue may counter with doubling sometimes and switching. I think the Hoosiers' guards/wings will get some opportunities - if they can hit some outside shots, that will really open things up for Indiana and put Purdue in a difficult spot. They'll also likely try to pressure the Boilers looking to force some turnovers and get some offense in transition. I look for Purdue to also try to establish a post presence - Indiana is potentially vulnerable there. The Boilers will need to hit some long-range shots - Jaden Ivey was held in check from the field against Illinois, but I expect he'll have a better game tonight, and if Sasha Stefanovic has a game somewhat similar to Monday's - Indiana will be in a quandary.

Both teams need some help from the bench - Eric Hunter, Jr. is coming off two straight really nice games - if he and Ethan Morton can provide solid production, Purdue really gains an edge. The other x-factor is how the game is called and if foul trouble occurs. Indiana can't afford to have Trayce Jackson-Davis or Race Thompson get into any serious foul issues, and Purdue needs Jaden Ivey and Sasha Stefanovic to be available for 30+ minutes. Should either Zach Edey or Trevion Williams pick up a couple of early fouls, that could change the game flow as well.

In the end, for the Boilers - it's really about executing on both ends of the floor - maximizing possessions without turnovers, maintaining an edge on the boards, get the better shot, and force Indiana into the difficult offensive possessions. If they do that most of the night, they should be in good shape. They also can't let the crowd take them out of their game. I won't really be surprised either way with how this game turns out. I like the way Purdue has played the last few games for the most part, but there are still enough inconsistencies and points where they struggle at times. This Indiana team is better than what some give them credit for, IMO - however, to be fair, they haven't had that many tough teams to be really challenged coming into tonight. It's another good test for both teams, and it's always tough to win on the road in this conference. We shall see who is the better team for tonight's game.

I may not be able to join you for the game - so enjoy it.....stay safe, warm, and healthy. Safe travels to those on the roads.......

Boiler up, my friends....

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i

It's listed to be Kevin Burkhardt and Jim Jackson for Fox Sports 1.
The first college basketball game I ever saw in person was in Bloomington, featuring the Van Arsdale twins. Didn't like 'em then, and never will. Thx Tex.

Ready at the beach

Seems like there is always some player on the other team that has their best game ever. Which IU player is going to score 4X their season average? I'll guess Geronimo averages 4.5 but will score 18
Going with Kopp, going to be 6-8 from 3 when the defender can’t close out on him trying to help against TJD.

Reactions: TX4GB
I seem to be more humorous with Bourbon under my belt ... buckle up folks
When it is a big game or even IU my body starts to heat, my face gets a little red and I start to get a little mean. Win or lose I'm okay after.

Reactions: TX4GB
When it is a big game or even IU my body starts to heat, my face gets a little red and I start to get a little mean. Win or lose I'm okay after.
My neck and cheeks get a bit rosy too ... and I start panting ... and then I drink more ... it's a never-ending circle

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT