ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue run blocking.

Purdue-Fan-Ian

Sophomore
Dec 3, 2004
I’ve been a Purdue football fan since the fall of 1968 when my older brother enrolled as a freshman. That team was ranked #1 in the country. We had a great QB in Mike Phipps and a great RB in Leroy Keyes. What also made that team great was the O-line that was great in run blocking for Keyes and Perry Williams. Sadly….that’s the last time the Boilers were great run blockers. It’s been downhill for 55 years. Even in the days of Otis Armstrong the run blocking was mediocre at best. Those repeated failed attempts of running up the middle and getting stuffed at the line on 3rd and 4th down today suggest the tradition will continue.

I’ve been a Purdue football fan since the fall of 1968 when my older brother enrolled as a freshman. That team was ranked #1 in the country. We had a great QB in Mike Phipps and a great RB in Leroy Keyes. What also made that team great was the O-line that was great in run blocking for Keyes and Perry Williams. Sadly….that’s the last time the Boilers were great run blockers. It’s been downhill for 55 years. Even in the days of Otis Armstrong the run blocking was mediocre at best. Those repeated failed attempts of running up the middle and getting stuffed at the line on 3rd and 4th down today suggest the tradition will continue.
Not sure if I’ve ever seen the line play this bad ever in my 55 years of following the team.

Not sure if I’ve ever seen the line play this bad ever in my 55 years of following the team.
Should note they were on the fourth (and possibly 5th?) center? If that's your line anchor point....

Should note they were on the fourth (and possibly 5th?) center? If that's your line anchor point....
Agreed. I will try to withhold judgement until we at least see our #2 center. Hartwig likely calls all adjustments at the line. Tough to get down to #4 at center in game 1.

…. Which only amplifies the absolutely brain-dead schemes and play calls that called for runs STRAIGHT up the middle at the absolute most critical points in the game!!

Coaching is all about putting players in the best position to succeed…. I realize it’s only one game, but this staff failed miserably at doing that- both offensively and defensively.

…. Which only amplifies the absolutely brain-dead schemes and play calls that called for runs STRAIGHT up the middle at the absolute most critical points in the game!!

Coaching is all about putting players in the best position to succeed…. I realize it’s only one game, but this staff failed miserably at doing that- both offensively and defensively.
then not calling any runs before the half w/ 35 secs and throwing 3 passes after a missed gimme FG, which in turn gave them another chance at a FG

Reactions: RossMackey
gawd — I’m praying this was an aberration - the result of not respecting Fresno - rather than an indication of how unprepared Walters and staff are for big boy football…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT