ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and Portal

This team is badly in need of an injection of experienced athleticism. Yeh, I know Heidi and Colvin can run, jump and dunk, but neither has played a minute of college ball.
That is funny you wrote Heidi. I bet that has happened to him over and over. :)

Or the same team that only lost 6 games, won the Bigten and won the conference tourney. I guess it’s all in the perspective.

True for sure. Great team last year.
CMP should have been Coach of the year.l in the B10.

But the concern by me others is how does Purdue get better?
Through frosh becoming soph ✅
Through Colvin/Heide athletism ✅

But can we also get a transfer that would challenge a starter, not just a bench guy like the SIU kid?? I mean why not? That is another way we can really step it up.
But not so far ❎

Last edited:
Back up for Smith? I'm hopeful we get someone that challenges for a starting spot. Even if Smith beats them out, there is a chance they are good enough to take a spot.
Knowing Painter yes, he’s very loyal to guys. As far as players, he’s taller, quicker, and probably more experienced, better not sure really, I like Braden.

Reactions: tschance77
Fair enough. In 10 years people won’t remember we won the league by 3 games. They will remember being the 2nd 1 seed to lose to a 16.
People will remember what they choose to remember. I highly doubt people will be focused on losing to a 16 seed if this team comes back and takes care of business.
I see lots of people complaining about losing to a lower seed without realizing that it’s due in most part to getting such a high seed to begin with. The team should get credit for achieving a one seed as they certainly earned it. Should they also catch crap for losing to a 16? Absolutely but, I don’t think as many people are focused on it as much as some in this board want to believe. It is what it is… a single bad game.

Reactions: Schnelk
Back up for Smith? I'm hopeful we get someone that challenges for a starting spot. Even if Smith beats them out, there is a chance they are good enough to take a spot.
As was said by another poster, I doubt Painter try’s to over recruit on Smith, not saying that it’s the correct thing to do but I think he probably won’t. In this case I think the SIU guy is a good get, he’s easily on par with Braden.

Painter won’t recruit over this two guards.
He should though....Are we always told Painter makes no promises? That means every position should be open to a new starter and Painter should always be looking to upgrade the talent on the floor.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Knowing Painter yes, he’s very loyal to guys. As far as players, he’s taller, quicker, and probably more experienced, better not sure really, I like Braden.
I like Smith. He exceeded all expectations, but he doesn't get protected status and if you can find a bigger, faster, more athletic replacement, then you go after that kid.

He should though....Are we always told Painter makes no promises? That means every position should be open to a new starter and Painter should always be looking to upgrade the talent on the floor.
Yeah, we keep saying this is virtuous and a good excuse for not getting top talent.

But we won’t dare bring talent to compete with our current players? it’s mean to make them have to fight for their spot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dryfly88
This team is badly in need of an injection of experienced athleticism. Yeh, I know Heidi and Colvin can run, jump and dunk, but neither has played a minute of college ball.
There are needs to be addressed, absolutely. I hope we land one or two solid transfers that address those issues. But even as-is, this will be a top 10 ranked team next year and favorites to win the B1G if Zach comes back.

I certainly hope Zach comes back, as any sane fan should. But if he doesn't, I'm pretty excited to see how the 4/5 positions shake out. It's definitely going to feel different.

Taking a quick look at Lance Jones, I would describe his stats as relatively high usage and low efficiency. He seems to be used to carrying a pretty big load for SIU, so it would be interesting to see how that would translate to Purdue, where he would need to fit in. His shooting was better from outside earlier in his career on lower volume, potentially because he was taking fewer contested shots. In videos, he appears to be athletic enough with the ability to drive. I love that he was MVC defensive player of the year as Purdue would need him to be able to guard.

I sure hope you are wrong.

I just don't get that. What did either of the 2 guys do that would suggest they are untouchable? Was I pleasantly surprised with both of them for most of the season? Absolutely. Am I certain that both of them are going to continue to improve at the rate we need them to in order to win a championship? No.

This is exactly where the portal can have an immediate impact. Get a guard that is good enough to start day 1. If Braden and or Loyer are good enough to beat them out, then you are set with quality and depth. If they aren't good enough to beat out the new guy then that tells you everything you needed to know.

You might be correct. But truthfully a guy that competes w/ Loyer @ the 2 is just what we need to get to the next level.

Smith just needs a helper to stay fresh,...thus the SIU guard.

Sure we will win the B10 if Edey comes back either way. But big picture --- in March that just gives you another weapon @ the 2 if Loyer goes cold on occasion like his history shows.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Taking a quick look at Lance Jones, ....... I love that he was MVC defensive player of the year as Purdue would need him to be able to guard.

Yea, that is what I love too. We don't have a defensive stopper when needed out front. Perhaps now we are getting one?

You might be correct. But truthfully a guy that competes w/ Loyer @ the 2 is just what we need to get to the next level.

Sure we will win the B10 if Edey comes back either way. But big picture --- in March that just gives you another weapon @ the 2 if Loyer goes cold on occasion like his history shows.
I think the opposite. Unless, Smith is going to develop a dribble drive without high ball screens. Loyer will get stronger and at time's showed a mid pull-up.

There are needs to be addressed, absolutely. I hope we land one or two solid transfers that address those issues. But even as-is, this will be a top 10 ranked team next year and favorites to win the B1G if Zach comes back.

I certainly hope Zach comes back, as any sane fan should. But if he doesn't, I'm pretty excited to see how the 4/5 positions shake out. It's definitely going to feel different.

Looks like he was about the only offensive option, shot 250 threes. Was 43% shooter his sophomore year on less volume. Would figure he is the David Jenkins replacement - solid get there. Will give quickness, ball-handling, and defense.
#2 offensive threat behind 6-6 forward Marcus Domask who lead the team in scoring, revounding and assists and is also in the portal.

#2 offensive threat behind 6-6 forward Marcus Domask who lead the team in scoring, revounding and assists and is also in the portal.
I'm assuming we would all love LJ Cryer type of player on this roster. If, we're without Zach next year. We felt our guards struggled this year wait until we are without.

I like Smith. He exceeded all expectations, but he doesn't get protected status and if you can find a bigger, faster, more athletic replacement, then you go after that kid.
I don’t disagree, we know Painter probably won’t, so, as a fan I hope Jones commits because at the least he can limit Smith’s minutes, he shouldn’t be playing 30 minutes a night, 25 seems about right, also, when pressed play them both together with Loyer, maybe 3 guys can get it past mid court without giving us a heart attack!

Everyone seems to be adding someone, or atleast talking about visits. Why are we so quiet this off-season. We need Zach to come back, just hope he does so early enough that Painter can build accordingly.
It's tough to add good portal talent when you don't have a clear path to a starting role. If Zack comes back where are the gaping hopes. Yes we need more athletic guards and our 3 pt shooting must improve. However, we have solid talent at every position.

Furthermore, team chemistry is a major concern. Underwood at IL is exhibit #1 for indiscriminate portal hires.

It's tough to add good portal talent when you don't have a clear path to a starting role. If Zack comes back where are the gaping hopes. Yes we need more athletic guards and our 3 pt shooting must improve. However, we have solid talent at every position.

Furthermore, team chemistry is a major concern. Underwood at IL is exhibit #1 for indiscriminate portal hires.
Michigan is going to have some of the same issues as Illinois. Hodgepodge of folks trying to become a team.

But, you don’t want to chase off your diamonds in the rough which both have shown to be thus far.

Loyer should improve with added strength and conditioning. I have no problem adding a star at Loyers position because he can always move over in a three guard lineup. I am all for having better guards. I do however feel the right guy has to be a combo guard that can play for both Smith or Loyer.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

*guard I should have said.

Read where Jones can be a little out of control and shoot you out of games. Not sure he will be able to do that at Purdue

Not sure what to even make of the portal/transfer thing any more.

You have Beran from NW in the portal coming off a great season where it was arguably the best team they have ever had.

Nembhard leaving Creighton to chase money.

Multiple burger boys from are in the portal - Alabama and Oregon.

Weird times for sure.
Pretty simple. $$$$

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
*guard I should have said.

Read where Jones can be a little out of control and shoot you out of games. Not sure he will be able to do that at Purdue
He's not going to get the minutes to shoot us out of games. He'll bring maturity which is always welcome.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Some of said that before. Seriously, he might be putting all his chips in on this lineup meshing to keep his job.
Juwan has to be worth over $100 million.

Is there anything keeping him from starting “The Juwan Fund: Money for Hoopers” and paying kids out of it ?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
True for sure. Great team last year.
CMP should have been Coach of the year.l in the B10.

But the concern by me others is how does Purdue get better?
Through frosh becoming soph ✅
Through Colvin/Heide athletism ✅

But can we also get a transfer that would challenge a starter, not just a bench guy like the SIU kid?? I mean why not? That is another way we can really step it up.
But not so far ❎

You do realize that any starter caliber guy is looking for secure minutes right? Coming to a school that was #1 with TWO starting freshmen guards that already know the system. You'd have to be very good to consider that a good situation for your pt. And those guys are typically looking to be featured, not a role player on Zacks star turn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT