ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and Portal

Mar 12, 2007
Everyone seems to be adding someone, or atleast talking about visits. Why are we so quiet this off-season. We need Zach to come back, just hope he does so early enough that Painter can build accordingly.

Sure, but I never suggested not adding to our lineup. Its just that it makes sense to not just be desperate and add just anyone. Purdue's situation is very different than most teams.

Reactions: pboiler18
Returning the same lineup that was one game away from the round of 32 isn’t awe inspiring. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer but that is concerning.
Greatest thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. We had 3 freshmen play significant minutes this year and we won the big ten by 3 games. Any normal amount of progression from them should lead to a damn good team next year.

Returning the same lineup that was one game away from the round of 32 isn’t awe inspiring. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer but that is concerning.
Returning practically every piece to the B1G conference and tourney champs and Top 10 team is concerning? The portal is an opportunity to add to a very good/elite team depending on what Edey does.

Reactions: GregJM24
I'm mildly concerned (ok a little more than mild) that we aren't mentioned in the top portal guys "schools that have contacted me" lists. That can be intentional or an oversight, but I would feel a whole lot better if our name was being tossed around as potential (likely) landing spot.

I agree that we are only a key piece away assuming Edey returns. I know a whole lot of posters on here are counting on that "sophomore leap". I'm in the I hope so but just in case please get a guard with a proven record at this level camp.

If Heide and Colvin are better than what we currently have (hopefully studs), I really don't see much room to add anyone other than a backup 1, which definitely is a need, but not one that is going to attract any big names.

Kind of agree.

But next year's record is more about Edey coming back than any transfer. Mid pack team without him imo.

But regardless, if CMP makes one adjustment, tries one new thing, to make this team more athletic, like he claims he wants too......I too would like to see a guy similar to Cryer's talent level here. He never has brought in a big time transfer....then again he keeps getting beat in March..

Yet, all of B10 teams will as well as most of next year's E8, like it was this year. Always got to get better to compete at the highest levels.

Saying we don't need that is not forward thinking. We DO need help out front, even if the kids are getting older. And if you are bringing someone in why not bring the best(as long as he's high character kid & not a head case)?

So YES, let's get more aggressive in the portal....please.

I get that we are bringing everyone back, if Edey comes back (except for Newman of course). Freshman will now be sophomores, etc.

However, in the offseason, you can’t change overnight and gain quickness and athleticism. We are not going to have a team of Iveys just because the players train. Those are qualities you have or you don’t. Our team doesn’t have it. Colvin will help some with this, but he will be a freshman, so cannot assume that he will transform our team immediately.

Also, I think Loyer will improve his consistency from 3. I think he hit a wall later on in the season last year. However, we need another sharpshooter threat. This current roster doesn’t have that from an every night standpoint, similar to the team before that.

Painter definitely needs the portal to address the quickness, athleticism and shooting shortfalls we currently have.

I get that we are bringing everyone back, if Edey comes back (except for Newman of course). Freshman will now be sophomores, etc.

However, in the offseason, you can’t change overnight and gain quickness and athleticism. We are not going to have a team of Iveys just because the players train. Those are qualities you have or you don’t. Our team doesn’t have it. Colvin will help some with this, but he will be a freshman, so cannot assume that he will transform our team immediately.

Also, I think Loyer will improve his consistency from 3. I think he hit a wall later on in the season last year. However, we need another sharpshooter threat. This current roster doesn’t have that from an every night standpoint, similar to the team before that.

Painter definitely needs the portal to address the quickness, athleticism and shooting shortfalls we currently have.

100% agree.

Painter says he agrees too in the "shortcomings" discussion. But now it's time to walk the walk....and go and get more athletiscm. Get better shooting. Or was that just platitudes from him?

If Heide and Colvin are better than what we currently have (hopefully studs), I really don't see much room to add anyone other than a backup 1, which definitely is a need, but not one that is going to attract any big names.
That’s what I’m thinking, I see like a Kennedy from Loyola who can play minutes backing up the 1 and 2 as the type of player Purdue likely gets. Would love a a LJ Cryer, don’t see it happening.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Greatest thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. We had 3 freshmen play significant minutes this year and we won the big ten by 3 games. Any normal amount of progression from them should lead to a damn good team next year.
Are you saying we shouldn’t spend $16 million for the privilege of blowing up our roster and starting from scratch?

Not sure what to even make of the portal/transfer thing any more.

You have Beran from NW in the portal coming off a great season where it was arguably the best team they have ever had.

Nembhard leaving Creighton to chase money.

Multiple burger boys from are in the portal - Alabama and Oregon.

Weird times for sure.

Ahh 28% from three last year, he will fit right in.

Looks like he was about the only offensive option, shot 250 threes. Was 43% shooter his sophomore year on less volume. Would figure he is the David Jenkins replacement - solid get there. Will give quickness, ball-handling, and defense.

Looks like he was about the only offensive option, shot 250 threes. Was 43% shooter his sophomore year on less volume. Would figure he is the David Jenkins replacement - solid get there. Will give quickness, ball-handling, and defense.
Hopefully he can regain that %

About what I expect from CMP transfer wise. Nothing new here.

Certainly not someone expected to fight for starter minutes. But to get better that is exactly what is needed.

Studs, ah that would be players like the 18 freshmen this year projected to be first round NBA picks ( out of 26). But they should add athleticism and maybe one will start ( depending on defense)

Reactions: Boiler Buck

You have Beran from NW in the portal coming off a great season where it was arguably the best team they have ever had.

Weird times for sure.
Okay my first chuckle today. ChoiceBeef and Burger Boys. Big Macs? Whoppers? It's a Good Friday.

Possible commit incoming from the portal. About the whole team just started following SIU guard Lance Jones. 6'1" pg who was a 2-time all defense in the MVC.
I don’t mind this, he’s a better option than Kennedy from Loyola. SIU was decent this year (24-10), Jones could get to the hole when I watched him, could backup 2 spots, no reason he can’t be a solid 18-20 minute player.

Reactions: Roeder
Back up for Smith? I'm hopeful we get someone that challenges for a starting spot. Even if Smith beats them out, there is a chance they are good enough to take a spot.
Post Dec. loyer is the guy that needs challenges. Need to be more athletic at that spot.

Smith brings plenty of both athlectism and shooting to the table.

Reactions: Schnelk
Post Dec. loyer is the guy that needs challenges. Need to be more athletic at that spot.

Smith brings plenty of both athlectism and shooting to the table.
I was asking/assuming this guy would be a PG. I hope we don't have Smith and a 6'1" guy shooting 28% from 3 as our starting backcourt??

No argument we need more athleticism I'm just questioning where this guy would fit in.

We are probably in the position to be very picky, as we've only lost 1 transfer and have a lot returning. We only had 1 open spot available up until Newmans departure, now theres 2.
You don't think we could upgrade the 1 and 2 positions through the portal?

Returning practically every piece to the B1G conference and tourney champs and Top 10 team is concerning? The portal is an opportunity to add to a very good/elite team depending on what Edey does.
This team is badly in need of an injection of experienced athleticism. Yeh, I know Heidi and Colvin can run, jump and dunk, but neither has played a minute of college ball.

I think both Loyer and Smith to could lose their starting spots to bigger, more athletic, experienced transfers.

Weird times for sure.
It's the new reality. You gotta pay to play. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. We'll see if Purdue is serious about competing in the NIL environment.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I was asking/assuming this guy would be a PG. I hope we don't have Smith and a 6'1" guy shooting 28% from 3 as our starting backcourt??

No argument we need more athleticism I'm just questioning where this guy would fit in.

As a backup role, similar to David Jenkins. Lose some shooting, gain defense/quickness.

We are still actively looking for a larger guard.

Back up for Smith? I'm hopeful we get someone that challenges for a starting spot. Even if Smith beats them out, there is a chance they are good enough to take a spot.
My thought is that all the 2-4 spots are open competition.
Maybe it’s

Braden
Lance
Colvin
heide
Zach

With
Fletch
Morton
gillis
TKR
Furst

Coming off bench ?

I'm really hoping Colvin has good enough handles he can play the 2 early and often and be that 2nd main ball handler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT