ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and Portal

You do realize that any starter caliber guy is looking for secure minutes right? Coming to a school that was #1 with TWO starting freshmen guards that already know the system. You'd have to be very good to consider that a good situation for your pt. And those guys are typically looking to be featured, not a role player on Zacks star turn.
Why do you think Smith and Loyer are untouchable?
Show a kid the tape of Edwards or Ivey and say “if you can do this, you’ll play plenty of minutes and have freedom to score. We’ll help get you to the NBA”

You do realize that any starter caliber guy is looking for secure minutes right? Coming to a school that was #1 with TWO starting freshmen guards that already know the system. You'd have to be very good to consider that a good situation for your pt. And those guys are typically looking to be featured, not a role player on Zacks star turn.

You might be right, but the #3 ranked team in country. I think even I could sell that??

We worry a lot here about the players that Painter is getting from the portal, but even more significant, in my opinion, are the players that are choosing to stay at Purdue and not enter the portal. So far it’s just Newman and I think that move makes sense for both the program and the player. If everyone else stays, this off-season is a big win.

We worry a lot here about the players that Painter is getting from the portal, but even more significant, in my opinion, are the players that are choosing to stay at Purdue and not enter the portal. So far it’s just Newman and I think that move makes sense for both the program and the player. If everyone else stays, this off-season is a big win.
I think some of that is the quality of the person he recruited. Was thinking about Trent Sisley with Purdue and IU. Here is a kid living in an IU area and no doubt has many friends pushing him to IU. I have no idea if he has the basketball support like Trey or not, but when he sees a makeshift team like IU does it enter his mind who he might be playing with, not maybe his freshman year, but the year after and so forth...or is the money large enough that it doesn't matter?

When the money gets large enough is it possible a large "enough" donor has more interest in a certain players "personna" than a coach might see inside a team?

Latest news is one of Duke’s McDonald All Americans is being released from his NLI because of their returning stars etc. The fact we haven’t filled all our scholarships doesn’t bother me because the portal is going to heat up with more kids jumping ship when they are recruited over and seek new opportunities.

Curious to see what our lineup looks like come June and September

I think some of that is the quality of the person he recruited. Was thinking about Trent Sisley with Purdue and IU. Here is a kid living in an IU area and no doubt has many friends pushing him to IU. I have no idea if he has the basketball support like Trey or not, but when he sees a makeshift team like IU does it enter his mind who he might be playing with, not maybe his freshman year, but the year after and so forth...or is the money large enough that it doesn't matter?

When the money gets large enough is it possible a large "enough" donor has more interest in a certain players "personna" than a coach might see inside a team?
still think Sisley ends up at iu

My thought is that all the 2-4 spots are open competition.
Maybe it’s

Braden
Lance
Colvin
heide
Zach

With
Fletch
Morton
gillis
TKR
Furst

Coming off bench ?
If Edey returns my guess of a game 1 lineup would be Zach-TKR-Morton-Loyer-Smith. Furst, Jones, Gillis, Colvin, Heide round out a deep rotation. Unless Berg is really good I see him and Waddell as the odd men out, at least early on.

If Edey returns my guess of a game 1 lineup would be Zach-TKR-Morton-Loyer-Smith. Furst, Jones, Gillis, Colvin, Heide round out a deep rotation. Unless Berg is really good I see him and Waddell as the odd men out, at least early on.
Afraid you are correct. The Morton love continues.
Hopefully, Colvin/Heide overtakes him at some point. Haven't seen a D1 game yet. But lost a lot of respect for Morton's (who was outstanding in Nov) game post January last year.

Afraid you are correct. The Morton love continues.
Hopefully, Colvin/Heide overtakes him at some point. Haven't seen a D1 game yet. But lost a lot of respect for Morton's (who was outstanding in Nov) game post January last year.
That’s not would I would do, guessing that’s what Painter does. I do hope TKR plays the 4, think he’ll be fine there. Furst backing up both spots gets him 20 minutes a game which I think he deserves. Agree about Colvin and or Heide, thinking one of them as the season progresses surplants Morton unless Ethan really improves his offense.

Morton's better than 2-1 assit to turnover level plus good D makes him a good contributor. To start ,he needs to get more confidence in his offense and make shots so he has to be guarded. At some point perhaps Colvin passes him up. TKR has to play facing the basket to play with Zach. Videos from high school show he can do it at that level, but he has to lose weight and gain back some quickness.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Latest news is one of Duke’s McDonald All Americans is being released from his NLI because of their returning stars etc. The fact we haven’t filled all our scholarships doesn’t bother me because the portal is going to heat up with more kids jumping ship when they are recruited over and seek new opportunities.

Curious to see what our lineup looks like come June and September
I agree. I think there are still dominoes to fall at Purdue. My guess is guys are waiting to see what Zach does. Can't play 5 guys meaningful minutes at two spots if one of them is getting 30 minutes.. If Zach leaves I think everyone else will stay put. If he leaves my guess is someone else will leave.

Morton's better than 2-1 assit to turnover level plus good D makes him a good contributor. To start ,he needs to get more confidence in his offense and make shots so he has to be guarded. At some point perhaps Colvin passes him up. TKR has to play facing the basket to play with Zach. Videos from high school show he can do it at that level, but he has to lose weight and gain back some quickness.
Agreed, good post! On Purdue’s basketball Twitter page they got a pic up of the bigs working out right now, they got Furst, TKR, Berg, and Edey all pictured, if Edey stays I worry that someone might leave, I hope not.

I agree. I think there are still dominoes to fall at Purdue. My guess is guys are waiting to see what Zach does. Can't play 5 guys meaningful minutes at two spots if one of them is getting 30 minutes.. If Zach leaves I think everyone else will stay put. If he leaves my guess is someone else will leave.
If Zach stays I see Berg biding his time, unless he’s that good I don’t see how he gets a lot of minutes. Maybe Zach’s minutes go from 31 to say 26, also, maybe Gillis plays 5 minutes a night at the 3, late in the season he played minutes there. I know this, TKR got 11 minutes a game last year, that needs to be bumped up to at least 16-18 minute range.

I really hope we have a more dynamic option at the 3 than Morton next year.

And not sure TKR is quick enough or a good enough outside shooter to play the 4.

I really hope we have a more dynamic option at the 3 than Morton next year.

And not sure TKR is quick enough or a good enough outside shooter to play the 4.
I think Morton might be first game, I agree, let’s hope Ethan is 7/8th man. I would hope TKR could play the 4, maybe he can’t, if he can’t I don’t see him returning if Edey returns, kids not going to want to stick around playing 10 minutes a night.

Morton to move back to PG if there's no 2nd transfer?

Starters

1 Smith
2 Loyer
3 Colvin
4 Furst
5 Edey

2nd String

1. Morton
2. Lance
3 Heide
4 Gillis
5. Berg/TKR

I think Morton might be first game, I agree, let’s hope Ethan is 7/8th man. I would hope TKR could play the 4, maybe he can’t, if he can’t I don’t see him returning if Edey returns, kids not going to want to stick around playing 10 minutes a night.

Why do you think Smith and Loyer are untouchable?
Show a kid the tape of Edwards or Ivey and say “if you can do this, you’ll play plenty of minutes and have freedom to score. We’ll help get you to the NBA”
I don't think Smith OR Loyer are untouchable.
What I do think is they are very good players WHO WERE FRESHMEN STARTERS.
THOSE guys (freshmen starters, not Smith/Loyer) are LIKELY to be much much better in the future.
Even other players can grasp that.... only some fans that seem to think they are destined to remain the same player as this year...
Unless you are a top 20 kind of guy, you aren't going to "take" those guys minutes.
You might SHARE the minutes, but that isn't going to be enough for a top ranked, 1 and done kind of player.
It's not those 2 guys, it's the situation and recognizing it for what it means to a player competeting for pt.

Reactions: mathboy
Disagree. There’s 1-2 more players who’s talent level is probably at a non-P5 or D2 school.

If Zach stays I see Berg biding his time, unless he’s that good I don’t see how he gets a lot of minutes. Maybe Zach’s minutes go from 31 to say 26, also, maybe Gillis plays 5 minutes a night at the 3, late in the season he played minutes there. I know this, TKR got 11 minutes a game last year, that needs to be bumped up to at least 16-18 minute range.
Berg might be the fluid big we've been wanting. He does seem to have a great touch for his size and could benefit our athletic wings/guards.

I don't think Smith OR Loyer are untouchable.
What I do think is they are very good players WHO WERE FRESHMEN STARTERS.
THOSE guys (freshmen starters, not Smith/Loyer) are LIKELY to be much much better in the future.
Even other players can grasp that.... only some fans that seem to think they are destined to remain the same player as this year...
Unless you are a top 20 kind of guy, you aren't going to "take" those guys minutes.
You might SHARE the minutes, but that isn't going to be enough for a top ranked, 1 and done kind of player.
It's not those 2 guys, it's the situation and recognizing it for what it means to a player competeting for pt.
I think they’ll have marginal improvement. But, the position is ripe for a 6’4 ball handler who can shoot the 3 and get to the rim and finish. Yeh, everyone wants that player, but those players exist in the portal

Berg might be the fluid big we've been wanting. He does seem to have a great touch for his size and could benefit our athletic wings/guards.
If he’s that I’ll be thrilled. Let’s be honest, if Edey returns that’s 28 minutes a night filled, Furst, TKR, Gillis, Berg is a lot of guys for an additional 52 minutes. Maybe Gillis can play 5 minutes or so at the 3 thus giving them 57 minutes to fill.

Didn’t he hurt his foot again? Feel like I saw on Twitter that he had surgery and is basically out for the rest of the summer

Didn’t he hurt his foot again? Feel like I saw on Twitter that he had surgery and is basically out for the rest of the summer
He was in a boot late in the year. Well, shoot! That sucks! Was hoping to see him contribute and play.

I think they’ll have marginal improvement. But, the position is ripe for a 6’4 ball handler who can shoot the 3 and get to the rim and finish. Yeh, everyone wants that player, but those players exist in the portal

That would be an improvement. Maybe that is Colvin at times.

But Loyer drove plenty last year. He needs strength to finish or get to the line. Hopefully a summer of strength training gets closer to the player we need at the 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT