ADVERTISEMENT

The Schellhase Story

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
61BdPuY9-wL._SL1500_.jpg

It is a book I started reading in spare time...well at least time not on the computer. ;) It is interesting so far, but probably better for an older basketball fan (so far) due to so many players mentioned as well as some differences back then and today. FWIW, Dave is not sharing any of the revenue with me. ;) Many of the players I actually saw play, but obviously didn't really know what I was seeing as far as defense back then (60s) as I just enjoyed the game. Dave says in his book that there was no help defense back then. Everybody had a man. I guess I can't comment on it since I wasn't astute enough to know what I was seeing...and was a bit too young to dig that deep. He credits Bob Knight for the help defense in the 70s and no doubt Bob's rules have been a staple ever since.

I don't know that his phrase was 100% accurate since Hank Iba had already taken some zone principles into his man defense, and I actually had a defense book that I know was employed in the early 60s that was a precursor to the match up zone that was called the Rule Defense. Anyway, that was an interesting thing to me.

He talks about the difference off the court today and then for players for weight training, nutrition, living arrangements and so forth. I knew about the NCAA tourney as far as teams going and I knew about the NIT Tourney back then as well, but I didn't know about the Big Ten who only allowed the season champ to go to the tourney thoughts on the NIT. Essentially, the big would NOT allow teams to go to the NIT due to point shaving by players along with teams made up of players in different schools. The Big would not send teams to the NIT back then because they considered New York as sinful. Right or wrong the Big was trying to be a cut above. Anyway if someone finds interest in some of what I type you might enjoy the book.

Yes, CCCNY was a major basketball force in the early 50's, and their point shaving scandal rocked the nation.

Coach Knight loved the NIT and what it stood for because he was the coach at Army,

Defense was pretty much, make sure your man didn't score. And I would think Wilt and McGuire had a lot to do with changing that too.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
Yes, CCCNY was a major basketball force in the early 50's, and their point shaving scandal rocked the nation.

Coach Knight loved the NIT and what it stood for because he was the coach at Army,

Defense was pretty much, make sure your man didn't score. And I would think Wilt and McGuire had a lot to do with changing that too.
I think many of us believe the Big standards are a bit higher than others and seeing how the Big responded to the NIT as far back as then only serves to re-enforce our beliefs.

Yeah, I think I may have had one final in Lambert along with many other classes? ;)
my only memory of Lambert was in 75 or 76 I was playing in a pickup game , I went up for a rebound and a guy accidently undercut me, the next thing I know I see the ceiling and land flat on my back. I see like 4 guys looking down at me but just had the wind knocked out of me thanx in part to the rubber type court ( tartan ?)

my only memory of Lambert was in 75 or 76 I was playing in a pickup game , I went up for a rebound and a guy accidently undercut me, the next thing I know I see the ceiling and land flat on my back. I see like 4 guys looking down at me but just had the wind knocked out of me thanx in part to the rubber type court ( tartan ?)
I used to watch indoor track meets in Lambert. Don't know if they are still holding them there?

I used to watch indoor track meets in Lambert. Don't know if they are still holding them there?
I watched all Purdue home games there when I was in school in the late '50's - early '60's. My earliest memory of Lambert was my father taking me there in the late '40's to see Harrison Dillard , who the world record holder in the 100 yard dash, in a track meet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT