ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thoughts:

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
Our last two games have given me a lot to think about as far as coaches using the portal to fill their roster. PSU has more portal players than recruited players. They have become Kriegers home for wayward unhappy D1 players with more than one of her players having a bad reputation as a problem child at a previous stop. This year its all come together for them and she has made it work in her 5th year. BUT she has virtually no high school recruiting happening anymore. Couple of kids here and there but no impact players. They have a very low ceiling, 5-8th is probably as high as they will ever get with this approach. IU has two of their starters are portal players, big time kids looking to get deep in the tournament that their previous school could not give them. They also have been doing this for several years, and like Penn State, their recruiting of high school kids has suffered. Next year they bring in two forwards, one unranked the other in the 50s to replace Homes and Scallia. Clearly to stay in the top 5 of the conference, Moren will have to go portal shopping again, but every time she does, it pushes the kids she did recruit further down the bench and makes it harder to get high schoolers. Terri Moren is also not a good coach for developing her bench players, which hurts her when she has a starter sick, hurt, or just in foul trouble. Its why they have a lower ceiling in the NCAA then their starting five talent would suggest.

Katie Gearlds has her recruiting going pretty well right now. Next year is going to be a step back again as a very young roster is going to have a lot of growing pains. A portal transfer or two could help that, BUT that is kicking the can down the road and it will slow the development of the underclassmen if we bring in a couple of portal starters. Additionally it sends a message to some players that they will never get to play more than garbage minutes and our high loss rate will continue. In the back court next year we have Smith, Jones, Amiyah, Swanson, Monson, and Poole. On the wing we have both Layden sisters and any overflow from the backcourt if we play some 3 guard offense. Front court we have Stevenson, Mila, Alaina, Puryear, and McCarthy. That squad would take some lumps but I think it would be the nucleus for building to a top 5 Big Ten team in a couple of years, or we can hit the portal, lose 3-5 players again and be stuck in the 7-12 range of the BT for as long as KG is here. That is my concern. Pride I would actually like to hear your take on this as long as you can keep it civil and express your opinions as such and not irrefutable facts laced with insults to anyone that doesn't think like you.

Not Pride but I'll give you my thoughts. I think you have to do both paths. Painter has done this expertly with his team - focus on high school talent and develop them while complimenting them with good fits from the portal. Lance Jones gives them exactly what they needed, an experienced and tough ballhandler and defender. granted that talented posts are almost unicorns, I doubt that we could get a game changer but getting someone who has played a lot and could give some good support minutes would be great for next season. and someone who could challenge Stevenson in practice every day.

Reactions: Brya31
Not Pride but I'll give you my thoughts. I think you have to do both paths. Painter has done this expertly with his team - focus on high school talent and develop them while complimenting them with good fits from the portal. Lance Jones gives them exactly what they needed, an experienced and tough ballhandler and defender. granted that talented posts are almost unicorns, I doubt that we could get a game changer but getting someone who has played a lot and could give some good support minutes would be great for next season. and someone who could challenge Stevenson in practice every day.
Yep, not sure Michael follows the men’s game much, that’s how teams are getting it done, combo of both. Purdue’s women need to hit the portal this off-season for a player or two that hopefully are difference makers.

Yep, not sure Michael follows the men’s game much, that’s how teams are getting it done, combo of both. Purdue’s women need to hit the portal this off-season for a player or two that hopefully are difference makers.
Just accept that for every player you bring in you are going to risk losing 1 or more of the current freshmen.... Also there are few posts in the portal each year, and IU will be shopping for one with much better opportunities and name recognition than we have. Purdue women's basketball doesn't have the reputation to attract a difference maker from the portal, what we can do is take a chance on a small school kid and hope she has the skills to move up like Ellis and Caitlyn. Its hit and miss.

No, I don't follow the men anymore because its been utterly corrupt and no longer about student athletes for a couple of decades. Those kids are hired guns jumping programs for the NIL money. IU is paying out something like 5 million in NIL money to their men's basketball players. That corruption is not yet in the women's game Thank God. Trying to equate the two is a recipe for failure and shows a big lack of understanding of the women's game and dynamics. You keep trying to use the men's PG to justify hating on Terry. Smith is playing for a top 5 team and making a certain amount of cash for it off NIL. Terry is playing for the 10-12 best team in the Big Ten and all she is getting is her education. Men's players are more developed by their senior year than their women's counterparts, in great deal because the women have only been playing 50 years and the men have been playing for 100. The games are at different evolution levels. Then there are some of the other "issues" surrounding women's basketball and why some very talented girls focus on volleyball and give up basketball in prep school

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Just accept that for every player you bring in you are going to risk losing 1 or more of the current freshmen.... Also there are few posts in the portal each year, and IU will be shopping for one with much better opportunities and name recognition than we have. Purdue women's basketball doesn't have the reputation to attract a difference maker from the portal, what we can do is take a chance on a small school kid and hope she has the skills to move up like Ellis and Caitlyn. Its hit and miss.

No, I don't follow the men anymore because its been utterly corrupt and no longer about student athletes for a couple of decades. Those kids are hired guns jumping programs for the NIL money. IU is paying out something like 5 million in NIL money to their men's basketball players. That corruption is not yet in the women's game Thank God. Trying to equate the two is a recipe for failure and shows a big lack of understanding of the women's game and dynamics. You keep trying to use the men's PG to justify hating on Terry. Smith is playing for a top 5 team and making a certain amount of cash for it off NIL. Terry is playing for the 10-12 best team in the Big Ten and all she is getting is her education. Men's players are more developed by their senior year than their women's counterparts, in great deal because the women have only been playing 50 years and the men have been playing for 100. The games are at different evolution levels. Then there are some of the other "issues" surrounding women's basketball and why some very talented girls focus on volleyball and give up basketball in prep school
I got a buddies kid who plays girls college hoops, I’ve talked about it on here. NIL is in play in the girls game as well, girls are getting paid, obviously not more than the guys in most cases because most don’t care about the women’s game, it’s boring. Purdue has a top 5 team and you admit as a Purdue fan you don’t watch, that’s goofy to me. Anyway, keep watching those lady Boilers, what great fun that is. I watch both, however, like most, women’s hoops isn’t a huge priority for me. Don’t get me wrong though, I want Purdue to win.

I got a buddies kid who plays girls college hoops, I’ve talked about it on here. NIL is in play in the girls game as well, girls are getting paid, obviously not more than the guys in most cases because most don’t care about the women’s game, it’s boring. Purdue has a top 5 team and you admit as a Purdue fan you don’t watch, that’s goofy to me. Anyway, keep watching those lady Boilers, what great fun that is. I watch both, however, like most, women’s hoops isn’t a huge priority for me. Don’t get me wrong though, I want Purdue to win.
The men's game has become so corrupt by the influence of money and cheating that I lost interest in it 20 years ago. Same with college football, even more so. The men's game now is just NBA lite, punking and dunking and team play has nearly disappeared. Its why Purdue can win games in the season but is doomed to lose in the first weekend, or on a REALLY good year the sweet 16. That is the ceiling for the Purdue men because of how the system is rigged against teams like us.

The men's game has become so corrupt by the influence of money and cheating that I lost interest in it 20 years ago. Same with college football, even more so. The men's game now is just NBA lite, punking and dunking and team play has nearly disappeared. Its why Purdue can win games in the season but is doomed to lose in the first weekend, or on a REALLY good year the sweet 16. That is the ceiling for the Purdue men because of how the system is rigged against teams like us.
You're missing out Michael.....Matt Painter and company are going to win it all this year!

You're missing out Michael.....Matt Painter and company are going to win it all this year!
I have a house payment, $2500 saying they don't make the Final Four. I just hate the style of play that is prevalent in the men's game. I cut my teeth on Keady/Knight team ball, all these isos and one on one crap just sucks IMHO. I agree with the Knight quote, "if the only two choices to watch on TV were NBA and two mice having sex, I'd watch the mice, even if the picture was fuzzy" Men's college ball has become NBA lite with worse play.

I have a house payment, $2500 saying they don't make the Final Four. I just hate the style of play that is prevalent in the men's game. I cut my teeth on Keady/Knight team ball, all these isos and one on one crap just sucks IMHO. I agree with the Knight quote, "if the only two choices to watch on TV were NBA and two mice having sex, I'd watch the mice, even if the picture was fuzzy" Men's college ball has become NBA lite with worse play.

If you think Matt painter’s teams play NBA lite type of basketball then you have CLEARLY not watched a game. Matt Painter is a Gene Keady and Bob Knight disciple. His teams are built on post play, defense, and shooting. Not 1-on-1 iso nonsense. If you have watched a game and thought that was the case I seriously question your basketball knowledge. Are there many men’s college teams that do play NBA lite? Yes. But not Purdue.

Right now we are slated to have only one post player who has proved they can play at a winning level returning next year. That is highly not ideal for us to win.

If I was the head coach, this is how I would go after recruiting in the new world: def still focus on high school kids - but I would go after kids I was fairly certain would be able to contribute right away - that may only be 1 or 2 players that land per class. And then I will fill in any holes I may have with players from the portal who have proven that they can compete. I would not go after kids that I wasn’t completely 100% sold on. Those kids can always go to a mid major - develop and prove their worth - and then once they enter the portal, I would return back to them. Or if I wanted to roll the dice on a high school recruit - I would be 1000% honest with them in telling them that I will give you this opportunity to compete for a spot on the Big Ten level, but you also must be ok with the possibility of riding the bench your first and possibly second year. If I tell them this and they still want to come then sure, I will take them as that displays a good team player mentality. I’m pretty sure this was the case with both Alaina and Monson. Again we can’t build a winning team on all players expecting to be starters. We need both stars and those willing to be support players.

To me - if we land another Harper Sr through the portal this spring - a senior or grad transfer that will serve has a bridge player as we have two post studs coming in the 2025 class. That will be ideal. I would then maybe redshirt a freshman post (McCarthy) so that she can come in and get stronger in the weight room without wasting a season the bench. All of this is assuming both Mila and Alaina return. That leaves us with MA, a grad transfer, Mila and Alaina, Puryear. May the best 3 win. Or perhaps play Mila more on the wing - I actually think that may be her more natural position. But also INJURIES HAPPEN.

Also If I was in charge I would’ve redshirted Monson this year as well.

I think coaches have sorely misused the redshirt for development scenario these past 2-3 years where players have been pushed so far down the bench because of COVID kids and super seniors - that they waste a year (out of their 4) simply because there isn’t enough ball to go around.

So if i was running the program that would be my game plan.

Last edited:
Being a hoops junkie like I am, I’ll watch most basketball, regarding the women I’ll watch Purdue and now Iowa because of Clark, after that forget it, it’s a difficult watch for me. The men’s team has been an awesome watch this year, those choosing not to watch a #2 ranked team can’t really be a Purdue fan can they? It’s weird to me, I don’t get that at all. Tonight’s women’s game was brutal, missed rims, absolutely no defense, terrible athleticism, total bore.

Being a hoops junkie like I am, I’ll watch most basketball, regarding the women I’ll watch Purdue and now Iowa because of Clark, after that forget it, it’s a difficult watch for me. The men’s team has been an awesome watch this year, those choosing not to watch a #2 ranked team can’t really be a Purdue fan can they? It’s weird to me, I don’t get that at all. Tonight’s women’s game was brutal, missed rims, absolutely no defense, terrible athleticism, total bore.
The Purdue men play an outmoded style that guarantees they lose early in the NCAA, often first round. While I appreciate the way the Purdue men play, its pointless to let myself get invested in a team that is built for failure and doomed to disappoint being run out by a more athletic team punking and dunking by the end of the year. Also the men will fail because other teams have for years been buying the best players (way before NIL made it legal) that Purdue has no hopes of attracting. I don't like watching cheaters prosper.

I watch many women's games, not just Purdue. I prefer that style of play. I don't watch the WNBA because its built to try and mimic the NBA style, but for the women its just an ugly comedy of ineptitude trying to play a style that is essentially above the rim when only a couple of women ever have dunked.

The Purdue men play an outmoded style that guarantees they lose early in the NCAA, often first round. While I appreciate the way the Purdue men play, its pointless to let myself get invested in a team that is built for failure and doomed to disappoint being run out by a more athletic team punking and dunking by the end of the year. Also the men will fail because other teams have for years been buying the best players (way before NIL made it legal) that Purdue has no hopes of attracting. I don't like watching cheaters prosper.

I watch many women's games, not just Purdue. I prefer that style of play. I don't watch the WNBA because its built to try and mimic the NBA style, but for the women its just an ugly comedy of ineptitude trying to play a style that is essentially above the rim when only a couple of women ever have dunked.
Clearly, you have not watched the Purdue men play this year, because you know not what you are talking about related to their "style of play" this year.

Clearly, you have not watched the Purdue men play this year, because you know not what you are talking about related to their "style of play" this year.
Not watched any men's games in over 20 years

Edit: not entirely true, I did end up at a restaurant with the Purdue at IU game last year. It looked like broken down plow horses racing against thoroughbreds. IU made us look so slow and unathletic the NCAA upset was barely a surprise.

Last edited:

Edit: not entirely true, I did end up at a restaurant with the Purdue at IU game last year. It looked like broken down plow horses racing against thoroughbreds. IU made us look so slow and unathletic the NCAA upset was barely a surprise.
Considering the men's team is perceived to be different and better than last year, I suggest watching at least one men's game to give it a shot. In the current state IMO, watching the Purdue women's basketball team play this year is torture compared to the men's team...no intended disrespect to women's basketball.

Considering the men's team is perceived to be different and better than last year, I suggest watching at least one men's game to give it a shot. In the current state IMO, watching the Purdue women's basketball team play this year is torture compared to the men's team...no intended disrespect to women's basketball.
WHY??? End of the year the men will shit the bed AGAIN, and the programs that openly cheat will vie for a bought and paid for title. It doesn't interest me in the least anymore, and I used to plan my life around watching the Purdue men play.

"Why???" (1) A likely two-time NPOY which doesn't happen too often and (2) probably the most unselfish, team play I've observed even though there is a NPOY on the team...and there are many others. Perhaps you can define what performance in this year's NCAA tournament would be categorizes as "**** the bed AGAIN" It is certainly apparent that B1G regular and tournament championships mean nothing to you.

"Why???" (1) A likely two-time NPOY which doesn't happen too often and (2) probably the most unselfish, team play I've observed even though there is a NPOY on the team...and there are many others. Perhaps you can define what performance in this year's NCAA tournament would be categorizes as "**** the bed AGAIN" It is certainly apparent that B1G regular and tournament championships mean nothing to you.
Play up to their seed, which is unlikely as they have a history of losing the first weekend even when a very high seed.

So they will likely need to make the final four or they "**** the bed"...interesting. Pretty harsh standard considering there is a tremendous amount of parity in men's basketball to go along with an element of luck and unpredictable officiating which can impact a game.

Reactions: purduedavie
So they will likely need to make the final four or they "**** the bed"...interesting. Pretty harsh standard considering there is a tremendous amount of parity in men's basketball to go along with an element of luck and unpredictable officiating which can impact a game.
They at least have to make the second weekend for a change. But even that if tht is as far as they go would be a massive underachievement yet again.

As a Boilermaker supporter, it just seems odd to me that a Boilermaker fan would essentially ignore a Purdue basketball team who has realistic opportunities to win B1G championships and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, but that same that fan would spend so much time on another Purdue basketball team that is this struggling. I follow both, but to each his own I guess.

Reactions: MichaelRR
As a Boilermaker supporter, it just seems odd to me that a Boilermaker fan would essentially ignore a Purdue basketball team who has realistic opportunities to win B1G championships and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, but that same that fan would spend so much time on another Purdue basketball team that is this struggling. I follow both, but to each his own I guess.
Exactly, I don’t understand that one at all. I’ll be honest, while I try to watch, women’s basketball isn’t easy. Michael will be posting women’s thoughts when the men are playing another ranked team, if you notice they’ll be no one responding lol. I agree, to each their own, I’ll take a men’s game any day of the week!

A really good woman's game is infrequent because there aren't enough truly talented woman's player's to field lots of good teams. there are only a few teams with enough of these type players to have good games. Still, I root for all Purdue teams.
I wish Purdue would emphasize and spend more money on all the minor sports, especially since we have so few, so that we could compete at the top level of them with other schools
As a whole our minor sports rate at the bottom compared to most others in my opinion. We have an occasional break thru and a couple of outstanding individuals but that is it

Today's a rare opportunity for you to test drive this year's version of Purdue men's basketball for half of a game. The men's game is on Fox and starts at 1 pm. At 2 pm, you can then switch BTN+ to watch the women's team play. At a minimum, you would be able to speak more intelligently about their "stye" of play. :)

Today's a rare opportunity for you to test drive this year's version of Purdue men's basketball for half of a game. The men's game is on Fox and starts at 1 pm. At 2 pm, you can then switch BTN+ to watch the women's team play. At a minimum, you would be able to speak more intelligently about their "stye" of play. :)

What about this crap is supposed to impress me? I still see a lot of grabbing, run and gun no discipline and a Purdue team that will get run off the floor by an athletic pressing team that crashes the glass. BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
What about this crap is supposed to impress me? I still see a lot of grabbing, run and gun no discipline and a Purdue team that will get run off the floor by an athletic pressing team that crashes the glass. BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my...what a take! As a Purdue fan, I'm glad to see that you are at least willing to watch a Purdue team considered by the odds makers to have the best chance to win to the NCAA championship (despite your perspective). Of course, considering the parity in men's basketball and other factors beyond your control, anything can happen in the tournament. While Rutgers pressure bothered them a bit today, it's a shame you are unaware that this team has shredded several presses that have been thrown at them this year. I have to admit that I had to look up what BLECH meant which is "used to express disgust". Really??? I'm not sure anyone who is a Purdue fan would espouse that assessment. BTW, they did win their game today if you care to know.

On my...what a take! As a Purdue fan, I'm glad to see that you are at least willing to watch a Purdue team considered by the odds makers to have the best chance to win to the NCAA championship (despite your perspective). Of course, considering the parity in men's basketball and other factors beyond your control, anything can happen in the tournament. While Rutgers pressure bothered them a bit today, it's a shame you are unaware that this team has shredded several presses that have been thrown at them this year. I have to admit that I had to look up what BLECH meant which is "used to express disgust". Really??? I'm not sure anyone who is a Purdue fan would espouse that assessment. BTW, they did win their game today if you care to know.
I watched it because so many of the posters on this board asked me to. I still dislike the tempo and style of the men's game and I still do not think the Purdue men will survive long in the NCAA's because of their style of play.

And yay, the men, ranked #2 in the nation pulled out a win against a mediocre to bad Rutgers team for their first win in New Jersey in what, 5 years? I am very underwhelmed.

Last edited:
I think your last paragraph was unnecessary, but demonstrates my point this team was able to produce a different result from recent years. When you are ranked as high as Purdue, every team gives their best effort against you. I know you are aware that the Rutgers arena is a very tough environment for any visiting team to play.

I think your last paragraph was unnecessary, but demonstrates my point this team was able to produce a different result from recent years. When you are ranked as high as Purdue, every team gives their best effort against you. I know you are aware that the Rutgers arena is a very tough environment for any visiting team to play.
You are wasting your time.

Reactions: Boiler Up Time
I watched it because so many of the posters on this board asked me to. I still dislike the tempo and style of the men's game and I still do not think the Purdue men will survive long in the NCAA's because of their style of play.

And yay, the men, ranked #2 in the nation pulled out a win against a mediocre to bad Rutgers team for their first win in New Jersey in what, 5 years? I am very underwhelmed.
Winning road games in college hoops is extremely difficult, Purdue won by 8 despite playing a mediocre game, you take a road win anyway you can get it. Did you go to Purdue? How in the world can you say the women’s game is more entertaining, it’s freaking lousy for the most part. I want the women to win, I root for them, I know this, most give two craps about them when the men are playing.

Winning road games in college hoops is extremely difficult, Purdue won by 8 despite playing a mediocre game, you take a road win anyway you can get it. Did you go to Purdue? How in the world can you say the women’s game is more entertaining, it’s freaking lousy for the most part. I want the women to win, I root for them, I know this, most give two craps about them when the men are playing.
I've never minded going my own way instead of following along with the herd like a lemming. I didn't pick which game to watch, y'all asked me to watch this one. No off ball screens, the ball sreens were generally sloppy as the ball handler constantly left space between themselves and the screener for their defender to get through going over the top. No screen and roll action. No screen and pop.... just frenetic running about trying to find a lane to drive.

If we all had the same interests and tastes live would be dull. I'm always amazed at the small minds who cannot comprehend those who don't see the world exactly as they do. Im very comfortable with my choices, whether I'm moving with the herd or against the grain, I am unapologetically ME.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I've never minded going my own way instead of following along with the herd like a lemming. I didn't pick which game to watch, y'all asked me to watch this one. No off ball screens, the ball sreens were generally sloppy as the ball handler constantly left space between themselves and the screener for their defender to get through going over the top. No screen and roll action. No screen and pop.... just frenetic running about trying to find a lane to drive.

If we all had the same interests and tastes live would be dull. I'm always amazed at the small minds who cannot comprehend those who don't see the world exactly as they do. Im very comfortable with my choices, whether I'm moving with the herd or against the grain, I am unapologetically ME.
You’re not watching Purdue hoops if you don’t see pick and pops, I got no problem with anyone being themselves, however, if you watched the men’s game and obviously other women’s game you can see how important the portal is, there has to be a mix that leans High School recruiting but mixes in portal transfers. Purdue women’s team is short staffed this year, for depth reasons alone they should have picked up another player or two. I’m sorry, girls shouldn’t be playing 35-40 minutes a night, that’s crazy!

You’re not watching Purdue hoops if you don’t see pick and pops, I got no problem with anyone being themselves, however, if you watched the men’s game and obviously other women’s game you can see how important the portal is, there has to be a mix that leans High School recruiting but mixes in portal transfers. Purdue women’s team is short staffed this year, for depth reasons alone they should have picked up another player or two. I’m sorry, girls shouldn’t be playing 35-40 minutes a night, that’s crazy!
I watched the Rutgers game, and not one pick and pop, not one off the ball screen, it looked like a freaking pick up game to me.

The portal is not a shopping center, and Purdue is not an attractive program right now with a nearly 2 decades record of being inconsequential and a coach that is a complete unknown outside of Purdue fans. Additionally the more you lean into the portal, the more of your high school recruits you push out the door for lack of playing time. PSU has no underclass men playing much, and their recruiting classes are at or near the bottom of the Big Ten for next season. That's why I call the portal a crack pipe. Comparing the men's and women's game means you don't understand the women's game. They are very different animals.

Jones and Smith were SUPPOSED to be backup point guards. Neither one can do the job this year against any competition. Bringing in someone to play ahead of them might have cost us Jones at the end of the season....... IF we could have found someone good enough from the portal. Alaina and Mila were supposed to be our depth in the post, neither has shown much more than a brief flash here and there of being BT level players. Petree was a scorer, but she also was not a good teammate and created a lot of chemistry issues last year. Players from the portal for the most part are badly flawed in one or more ways but for the top 5-6 players in the portal any given year.

I watched the Rutgers game, and not one pick and pop, not one off the ball screen, it looked like a freaking pick up game to me.

The portal is not a shopping center, and Purdue is not an attractive program right now with a nearly 2 decades record of being inconsequential and a coach that is a complete unknown outside of Purdue fans. Additionally the more you lean into the portal, the more of your high school recruits you push out the door for lack of playing time. PSU has no underclass men playing much, and their recruiting classes are at or near the bottom of the Big Ten for next season. That's why I call the portal a crack pipe. Comparing the men's and women's game means you don't understand the women's game. They are very different animals.

Jones and Smith were SUPPOSED to be backup point guards. Neither one can do the job this year against any competition. Bringing in someone to play ahead of them might have cost us Jones at the end of the season....... IF we could have found someone good enough from the portal. Alaina and Mila were supposed to be our depth in the post, neither has shown much more than a brief flash here and there of being BT level players. Petree was a scorer, but she also was not a good teammate and created a lot of chemistry issues last year. Players from the portal for the most part are badly flawed in one or more ways but for the top 5-6 players in the portal any given year.
Interesting comments about Petree causing chemistry issues last year. The issues I heard about were due to jealousy of a couple on the team who didn’t like her having success scoring. Here’s the thing….. if you want to score, you have to shoot the ball. If you don’t, you don’t have a right to criticize those who are.

Reactions: Larry77

You have to use the portal these days, unless you’re getting the best of the best high school kids you have to connect with a few players. Purdue needs to hit it hard this offseason and aim high, not talking Grand Canyon State, talking girls from quality programs that for some reason want to find a different place to play. 15 scholarships are avai

Purdue if everyone including Madison returns (they won’t) would have 13 players with the Frosh brought in, that’s 2 open scholarships, probably will have 4-5 available, they better fill a few spots, if they don’t that’s silly. Players shouldn’t be playing 40 minutes a night, get some players in here that can play, aim high, not talking Grand Canyon State. This is Purdue, don’t tell me players don’t want to come here, that’s a bunch of crap. As for the men, you watch one game and are a expert, sure thing, Purdue does a ton of screens to free up shooters, yesterday on the road wasn’t the best game they played, they still won by 8 on the road, if you know college hoops you know winning on the road isn’t easy. Maybe you’re 80 years old and long for 1950’s basketball, things change, you better play above the rim and run, if not no one will want to play for you. I guess that’s why you love the women’s game, no dunks, set shots, below the rim play sounds like something you like, not me, that’s a bore. Like you said, to each their own.

Last edited:
You may be giving him credit for watching a full game where as it may have only been half of the men's game. 😀 His assessment of the men's play was so predictable...never anything positive to say even though they are currently considered by most to be one a top team in the country. Isn't there something that they are doing right. It's quite apparent that there are more than just "lemmings and those that don't think for themselves" believe they are pretty good...even those who don't like Purdue believe they are one of the top teams in the country. It's fine to be yourself, but I would think there should be something positive he could share regarding a highly regarded Purdue team.

You may be giving him credit for watching a full game where as it may have only been half of the men's game. 😀 His assessment of the men's play was so predictable...never anything positive to say even though they are currently considered by most to be one a top team in the country. Isn't there something that they are doing right. It's quite apparent that there are more than just "lemmings and those that don't think for themselves" believe they are pretty good...even those who don't like Purdue believe they are one of the top teams in the country. It's fine to be yourself, but I would think there should be something positive he could share regarding a highly regarded Purdue team.
Yes…if one’s a basketball and Purdue fan how can you not watch at least a little? I watch the women if they’re on whenever I can, for me it’s not easy, the women’s game is hard to watch. I love hoops though, I love Purdue, so I’ll watch. I know this, it’s brutal this year, I hope it turns around for them, my guess is it won’t, time for a different set of players, this group isn’t getting it done.

Reactions: DocRon
Yes…if one’s a basketball and Purdue fan how can you not watch at least a little? I watch the women if they’re on whenever I can, for me it’s not easy, the women’s game is hard to watch. I love hoops though, I love Purdue, so I’ll watch. I know this, it’s brutal this year, I hope it turns around for them, my guess is it won’t, time for a different set of players, this group isn’t getting it done.
I just wanted to point out that there are two Purdue/Indiana rivalry basketball games this weekend in the unlikely case that everyone has a desire to follow both. ;)

I just wanted to point out that there are two Purdue/Indiana rivalry basketball games this weekend in the unlikely case that everyone has a desire to follow both. ;)
Not "unlikelly", at least not in my house.

I actually thought last night's MBB was a little boring. Other than for Zach's 3 pt bank, there were not many highlights. Purdue dominated.

I will watch today to see if the overpowered WBB can pull off the upset. They probably will not but all I ask is that they play hard.

Not "unlikelly", at least not in my house.

I actually thought last night's MBB was a little boring. Other than for Zach's 3 pt bank, there were not many highlights. Purdue dominated.

I will watch today to see if the overpowered WBB can pull off the upset. They probably will not but all I ask is that they play hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT