ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue -2.5 on the road at WI

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Vegas likes the Boilers. Kind of surprised at this line with a 9 vs 10, on the road, B10 outright title on the line for WI.
O/U 144, so low 70's game. Purdue magic # is 80. Get there, and we win.

Purdue has the talent edge (I think), it's going to depend on how they respond to Wi playing physical (will they get frustrated like they did at iu and MSU), the ability to hit some 3's and how the refs call the game inside.

Reactions: BSIT
They are going to get us in a half court game. We can’t break down defensively with 5 seconds left on the shot clock like we have a tendency to do. Hope they miss and we need to push the ball up with Ivey on misses. Watch for Davison flopping.

Vegas likes the Boilers. Kind of surprised at this line with a 9 vs 10, on the road, B10 outright title on the line for WI.

Purdue has the talent edge (I think), it's going to depend on how they respond to Wi playing physical (will they get frustrated like they did at iu and MSU), the ability to hit some 3's and how the refs call the game inside.
Do they really like Purdue, or, just trying to get some more money on the game by going with that line? Hard to understand how Purdue is considered the legitimate favorite in this one.

O/U seems about right, but, I would be really surprised if it went over...if so, I think it bodes way better for Purdue than Wisconsin...and, while I can't even imagine it happening, to your point, if Purdue got to 80 somehow...agree that they win.

Purdue does have the overall talent edge, but, who is calling the game matters, as does how they call it, and, recently, it has not gone in Purdue's favor at all...tough to think that will change IN Madison.

Big guard in Hepburn which stands to be a problem...elite player in Davis who Purdue had not answer for and has no answer for...and while I hate Davison, the guy constantly comes up big (and did in the game in West Lafayette). They don't turn the ball over which is maybe the most important thing, more so given Purdue's unfortunate penchant for turning it over.

Sasha has disappeared as of late and did the first time they matched up...can't happen tonight if Purdue is going to win. Ivey/Edey need to continue to put up some big numbers, Williams should have an even bigger advantage than Edey and needs to step up as a Senior and use it...and, need to get what Gillis and Hunter have generally been giving them.

Purdue is more than good enough and capable of winning the game, but, I am admittedly skeptical of going there given how Purdue has played on the road this year and for how bad they were on Saturday in particular.

A ton riding on this one for Purdue...they put themselves in a bit of a tough spot, but, they have the chance and golden opportunity to get things right and back on track if they can somehow win...I am going with the mantra of one of the USA Olympians that medaled and shared his approach of "expect the worst and hope for the best"...I found that incredibly amusing when he had said it, but, I am borrowing it as a Purdue fan...maybe for the rest of my life.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
My hopes are not too high for this game. Which should make it easier to stomach when the games inevitably comes down to the end and we piss it and a Big Ten Championship away.

Caesars is -3. PU should not be the favorite. I won't bet against the Boilers but Wisconsin +3 is a good bet.
Just took Wisconsin ML as an emotional hedge. If we win, I don't really care about the $10 as it means we're playing for a B1G title at home vs IU. If we lose, hey I got a couple free beers somewhere

Seems backwards.
But the last time I questioned the Vegas line was Rutgers +12.5, and they were right on.

Just took Wisconsin ML as an emotional hedge. If we win, I don't really care about the $10 as it means we're playing for a B1G title at home vs IU. If we lose, hey I got a couple free beers somewhere
A personal favorite philosophy of mine...the joy of Purdue winning has always exceeded any disappointment about losing some money, and, in the cases where I have won money, there is at least some genuine benefit still recognized.

Seems backwards.
But the last time I questioned the Vegas line was Rutgers +12.5, and they were right on.
I would temper it with Purdue being a similar favorite in Gloomington and associated concern that I had about that...same as at Michigan...close likely to at MSU...and none of those ended favorably.

A personal favorite philosophy of mine...the joy of Purdue winning has always exceeded any disappointment about losing some money, and, in the cases where I have won money, there is at least some genuine benefit still recognized.
Yup, it'll hurt if we lose but at least i got something out of it

Reactions: DAG10

Good sign that the refs will keep us in the game

Unfortunately, I feel the exact same way. I may go a step further and not watch and put myself through it.
That is funny from the standpoint that I am glad that I am not the only one...that is usually a hard and fast rule whenever Purdue plays in Gloomington these days (and has been for awhile...just not worth the frustration and angst...I don't watch THAT game like I do any other game, and, at times, just don't even watch Live if I deem it too unbearable...listen or follow by phone and then watch it after).

Tonight...I passed on two invites to watch, and, made some plans (basketball Sectionals) to have an excuse to not watch some of it Live...I get that it is only a college basketball game and in the biggest of pictures in life, not that significant, but, as a hopeful, life long, diehard fan...it is just a lot of angst around it that I am better off (for my sake...more for my family's) not watching intently...not sure yet what I will do, but, know that I won't watch it as I have others.

Reactions: DrEss
I just don’t remember a Purdue team in the last 40 years, that was THIS difficult to watch. It is probably just my unreal expectations of their play vs. their reality. Still a fan to the death…..but hopefully not tonight watching the game.

I just don’t remember a Purdue team in the last 40 years, that was THIS difficult to watch. It is probably just my unreal expectations of their play vs. their reality. Still a fan to the death…..but hopefully not tonight watching the game.
The 2019-20 team was REALLY painful to watch.

Reactions: DAG10 and Roeder
We have the talent, but games like this are about willpower and mental fortitude. Hopefully we see us lash out with our backs to the wall.
...and "FOCUS". Wisconsin forces you to beat them. They rarely give up easy baskets due to mistakes and score on your mistakes. I think Purdue wins in a very hard fought game with my black and gold glasses on. Purdue would like to get 3pointers in transition and speed up the game, but if misses Wisconsin has no problem waiting for you to make a mistake in the half court on DI doubt we see 1 through 3 in foul trouble, but would like to see tyler Wahl (sp?) on the bench. All those last second games differently would have put Purdue champ a couple of weeks ago...

I watched the Baylor v Texas game. Tough road win for Baylor and Cryer is probably done for the year. I want us to come out like that tonight, dialed in, focused, and having some guys step up that have been missing in action.

Reactions: DAG10
Hey, folks. UW is really, really bad at defending the post - Cockburn, Liddell, Dickinson, Jackson-Davis, and your guys have feasted when they play UW. We had our 3 main bigs foul out at Mackey. For whatever reason, the strategy seems to be to let the post guy get his. If you start hitting 3s - which didn't happen in the first matchup - it'll be a blowout in your favor. I thought it would be a blowout in your favor last time, too - your strengths just aren't something UW is built to overcome.

The 2019-20 team was REALLY painful to watch.
They were, but, it was because they were not very good...this team is painful because they were good...they are legitimately as good/talented as pretty much any team on their schedule...they just don't play like it unfortunately. They were as easy a team to watch as any early in the year when they were just clicking/hitting on all cylinders...now...5-5 on the road in the conference...losses to teams that they are clearly better than...losses to start conference play in 2 of the first 3 games...losses to end it in at least 2 of the last 3...just been a difficult watch...no doubt because expectations were higher and hopes even higher than that.

The '19-'20 team was indeed REALLY painful to watch as you said...I think the only one that I can remember feeling the same about in that regard at least was Terone's final year...I mean I dreaded going to the last game of the year in which they seemingly fittingly lost at home to Northwestern.

I watched the Baylor v Texas game. Tough road win for Baylor and Cryer is probably done for the year. I want us to come out like that tonight, dialed in, focused, and having some guys step up that have been missing in action.
If only our wishes could indeed come true, yes?

Purdue deserves credit for hanging in/battling back, but, they continue to put themselves in a bad position of having to hang in after battling back.

This team just makes a lot of bad decisions unfortunately...individually in cases...collectively in others, and, it truly is its own worst enemy...to the point that I am hard pressed to think of another team where it was so much the case.

There have been bad seasons...frustrating seasons...but, I can't think of another (quickly at least...maybe Big Dog's first year) where I have felt like a team underachieved more...I guess maybe the '18 team in that expectations for it were high...it won like 30 games...but, it was bad early in the year with back-to-back losses in a tournament in the Bahamas or wherever...failed to win the conference after a bad home loss to Iowa and a really tough one to OSU late...lost in the first round of BTT...then lost to Texas Tech is Sweet 16 after Haas was injured.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT