ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions......

I was in the middle of typing a response... but JDB's post is better than mine! So I erased everything I was typing. LOL...
JDB hit the nail on the head- we are replacing 7 starters- but 3-4 of the replacements for this year saw alot of playing time last season. The CBs in particular have extensive PT and experience- which is one of the reasons why our coaching staff has said in an interview that our secondary is the 'strength' of our D right now. The RS frosh CBs even pushed the seniors for the starting CB roles, so we have alot of quality/depth in the secondary this season.

Personally, I'm comfortable/happy with the secondary and depth. I'm also happy with the quality of the LBs- but worried about the depth- hopefully the LBs stay healthy. The question mark for me is the DLine. We have 1 solid returning starter, and 2 players with game experience who are now starters. The DLine has some depth, but its unproven. The coaching staff has said this years D is younger and more athletic/faster than last year, but also smaller/not as strong.

It will be exciting to see how Coach Holt molds this D. I think our D takes a step back from last season, but not a big step. If last season our D was an 8/10...I think this year we are a 6.5-7 out of 10. Still solid and above average.

So, let me understand this correctly - so you're inexperience on D isn't that bad because some of the new players played extensively last year? But, somehow our inexperienced secondary is in deep trouble even though we return our best player in the unit and All-B1G CB, a second kid who started games for us (until he was injured), and our new starting safeties include our regular nickelback and another kid who played extensively?

Got it.

Thank goodness we return almost the rest of our starting defense.

I was in the middle of typing a response... but JDB's post is better than mine! So I erased everything I was typing. LOL...
JDB hit the nail on the head- we are replacing 7 starters- but 3-4 of the replacements for this year saw alot of playing time last season. The CBs in particular have extensive PT and experience- which is one of the reasons why our coaching staff has said in an interview that our secondary is the 'strength' of our D right now. The RS frosh CBs even pushed the seniors for the starting CB roles, so we have alot of quality/depth in the secondary this season.

Personally, I'm comfortable/happy with the secondary and depth. I'm also happy with the quality of the LBs- but worried about the depth- hopefully the LBs stay healthy. The question mark for me is the DLine. We have 1 solid returning starter, and 2 players with game experience who are now starters. The DLine has some depth, but its unproven. The coaching staff has said this years D is younger and more athletic/faster than last year, but also smaller/not as strong.

It will be exciting to see how Coach Holt molds this D. I think our D takes a step back from last season, but not a big step. If last season our D was an 8/10...I think this year we are a 6.5-7 out of 10. Still solid and above average.

Here's the thing. We could score on your D last year, and we will be better on O this year and your D is going to take a step back, by even your own acounts.

You couldn't really score on our D (until it was 20-0 and we went into prevent) and our D isn't taking a step back at all. Frankly, I think to your shock and dismay you will see the best Front 7 in the B1G tonight.

And still all the overexuberant confidence from the Boiler faithful? OK...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. We could score on your D last year, and we will be better on O this year.

You couldn't really score on our D (until it was 20-0 and we went into prevent) and our D isn't taking a step back at all. Frankly, I think to your shock and dismay you will see the best Front 7 in the B1G tonight.

Good luck.
Not really sure how any B1G school could replace Jackson and be better on offense. PSU isn't going to be better on offense because they lost Barkley...they'll just be different. I'm assuming that is what will happen with NU.

If Thorson doesn’t play and Northwestern wins, NU fans are going to troll so hard (and rightfully so). If Thorson doesn’t play and Purdue beats them, the excuses will fly (and again... rightfully so). I want Purdue to win, but it means a lot more of they have Thorson healthy.

This game has me nervous and excited. I can’t wait for this game! Others have said it, but on paper Northwestern is the more talented team. Even at home, if Purdue wins, I would consider it an upset based on what the teams did last year and what Purdue lost. That doesn’t mean I think Northwestern will end with a better record, but Purdue has a lot to prove and a lot of questions to answer.

The build up for this season has been incredible. Last year was great but there was a cautious optimism. I think most folks predicted 4-6 wins. This year 6 wins is on the low side of my expectations. Even with how excited I am this year, I imagine the build up for next year with that ‘19 class is going to be even greater!

BTFU.. hope Purdue airs it out and torches UN in the passing game. It will come down to who does a better job at exploiting the other team’s weakness. UN will be able to run the ball and stop the run. Purdue is replacing most of their front 7 and their RB’s have been dinged up. Purdue’s strength better be their recievers/TEs because Northwestern pass rush is the team’s biggest flaw. Purdue’s Oline will be worth watching as well. Lots of talent and experience coming back.

With the line at 3.5 I would take Northwestern and the points. I imagine if Purdue wins, it will be by 3 or less. I think it will be a fantastic game and may even be the best game of the week.

Good post. This board has been generally thoughtful, funny and approriately enthusiastic (having nephews and nieces who are Boiler grads, I expected no less).

I had to laugh at the reference to the UN defense. For a second, I thought you were talking about peacekeepers or Cornhuskers. On the NU board, we refer to University of Nebraska as UNL; since the Cats beat Nebraska last year, Northwestern won the right to refer to itself as NU until the next time UNL wins in the series.

Yes, 5’9” and squats 600 pounds. He also runs in the low 4.3s. Doubt NW has anyone who can keep up with him. He is an athletic freak.

That's really not as exceptional as you think it is. Most B1G teams have a guy who can put up those kind of numbers. He's not going to enjoy the first time he gets squared up by 6-4 240 Paddy Fisher or 6-2 230 Nate Hall either going over the middle or on a jet sweep.

Even his high school team used him mostly as a gadget fast guy (i.e. jet sweeps, screens, whip routes underneath, etc.). Hard to imagine him suddenly becoming a good enough route-runner to consistently get open over the top against a veteran B1G team in his first collegiate game.

Not really sure how any B1G school could replace Jackson and be better on offense. PSU isn't going to be better on offense because they lost Barkley...they'll just be different. I'm assuming that is what will happen with NU.

Larkin probably has better physical tools than Jackson, whose impressive statistics were supported in large part by his durability (dude just kept getting up after carrying the ball hundreds upon hundreds of times) and consistent ability to make something out of nothing. Larkin has similar balance and a bit better burst to make bigger plays.

That's really not as exceptional as you think it is. Most B1G teams have a guy who can put up those kind of numbers. He's not going to enjoy the first time he gets squared up by 6-4 240 Paddy Fisher or 6-2 230 Nate Hall either going over the middle or on a jet sweep.

Even his high school team used him mostly as a gadget fast guy (i.e. jet sweeps, screens, whip routes underneath, etc.). Hard to imagine him suddenly becoming a good enough route-runner to consistently get open over the top against a veteran B1G team in his first collegiate game.
He weighs 180 pounds....it's an impressive feat. Sure, there are teams with guys who can squat 600....and they are probably lineman who weigh near or above 300 pounds.

It's an impressive feat and to downplay something like that is showing your homer-ism and lack of appreciation for anything not NU (fair enough because you aren't a Purdue fan). Could I ask how you know how Moore was used in high school?

Another question....if Moore is one on one with Fisher or Hall, I doubt Moore tries to 'square them up.' Those two would have absolutely zero chance of a tackle in open space against a player of Moore's caliber in terms of speed and agility coming off a jet sweep or trying to cover him outside of a zone defense...of which Moore would likely read that and option to another route (or his QB's would read to another side of the field). That's nothing to take away from Fisher who is, in all likelihood, one of the top 20 LB's in the country but to think Moore would square up with a LB on a jet sweep is a gross misunderstanding of what the intent of the jet sweep is and how it is drawn up.

He weighs 180 pounds....it's an impressive feat. Sure, there are teams with guys who can squat 600....and they are probably lineman who weigh near or above 300 pounds.

It's an impressive feat and to downplay something like that is showing your homer-ism and lack of appreciation for anything not NU (fair enough because you aren't a Purdue fan). Could I ask how you know how Moore was used in high school?

Skill guys squatting in the 500-600 pound range really isn't all that uncommon. I promise.

As far as knowing how he was used... I have eyes:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5248795/Rondale-Moore/videos

Well, just ask Kentucky what they thought when Larkin came in for Jackson at the Music City last year. Jeremy Larkin is a more explosive runner. Bigger and faster. Averaged 6.0 ypc and 500+ yards total last year spelling JJ. Believe it or not, BTN came through and basically said that we are upgrading with Larkin. He's probably not as consistent a runner as J, but he is far more capable of taking it to the house. In any case, don't expect much of a drop off in our run game if any.

We return almost our entire OL. All of our WR's (plus guys who were hurt the entire year). Thorson looks much sharper and has bloomed into a 1st round talent. We are going to be better on offense. Much better.

Another question....if Moore is one on one with Fisher or Hall, I doubt Moore tries to 'square them up.' Those two would have absolutely zero chance of a tackle in open space against a player of Moore's caliber in terms of speed and agility coming off a jet sweep or trying to cover him outside of a zone defense...of which Moore would likely read that and option to another route (or his QB's would read to another side of the field). That's nothing to take away from Fisher who is, in all likelihood, one of the top 20 LB's in the country but to think Moore would square up with a LB on a jet sweep is a gross misunderstanding of what the intent of the jet sweep is and how it is drawn up.

As the old saying goes, "the other guys are on scholarship for a reason." It's not Moore who would be trying to square up either of those guys. Fisher and Hall are both NFL-caliber athletes themselves so while Moore would be pretty dumb to try to take either on straight-up, it's not simply a given that they're going to flat miss either.

Man, where have I heard this before? The Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, and Kentucky fans were talking about their stud RB or playmaker schooling us because of their unearthly speed and ungodly talent. You know how many yards Saquon Barkley got on us? You know how many he would have gotten had he not had one busted play where the ref took out our LB? Hint: negative yards before the half, and he still didn't get close to 100 yards even with the busted play. You know how many Jonathan Taylor got on us? Your kid may be talented, but he can't hold Barkley or Taylor's jock, and if they couldn't do anything on our D, then I think we'll be ok here.

As the old saying goes, "the other guys are on scholarship for a reason." It's not Moore who would be trying to square up either of those guys. Fisher and Hall are both NFL-caliber athletes themselves so while Moore would be pretty dumb to try to take either on straight-up, it's not simply a given that they're going to flat miss either.
Agree but your assessment was that when Moore essentially touches the ball, both of those guys are going to square him up. My guess is that, given an open field, Moore would win most of those battles and the NU linebackers wouldn't frequently 'square him up.'

Agree but your assessment was that when Moore essentially touches the ball, both of those guys are going to square him up. My guess is that, given an open field, Moore would win most of those battles and the NU linebackers wouldn't frequently 'square him up.'

They won't need to square him up. They'll drag his 170lbs down to the turf like a rag doll with one arm.

I think gcg's point is that once one of these men get a square hit on this tiny kid, he's not going to be so fearless and will be dropping balls, that is if he gets up off the turf afterwards. Welcome to the B1G, son.

Here's the thing. We could score on your D last year, and we will be better on O this year and your D is going to take a step back, by even your own acounts.

Good luck.

"Best front 7 in the B1G tonight" :rolleyes:

Man, where have I heard this before? The Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, and Kentucky fans were talking about their stud RB or playmaker schooling us because of their unearthly speed and ungodly talent. You know how many yards Saquon Barkley got on us? You know how many he would have gotten had he not had one busted play where the ref took out our LB? Hint: negative yards before the half, and he still didn't get 100 yards even with the busted play. You know how many Jonathan Taylor got on us? Your kid may be talented, but he can't hold Barkley or Taylor's jock, and if they couldn't do anything on our D, then I think we'll be ok here.
Moore isn't a RB, he is a WR who will be moved and shifted around and looked to get one on one against a safety more than anything. To think Brohm is going to put a WR in a position similar to Barkley or Taylor is just blind homerism...again.

Also, you are quoting a game against PSU that you lost 31-7. Barkley carried the ball 16 times for a 4.7 average while McSorely had nearly 300 yards throwing. You are quoting a single instance in a game where a team obviously saw your weaker pass defense (250 yards per game last season) versus your better rush defense (107 yards per game).

In that same Wisconsin game you are clamoring, Larkin had all of 37 yards rushing. I'm not saying your points are invalid but they are heavily shaded purple and black.

They won't need to square him up. They'll drag his 170lbs down to the turf like a rag doll with one arm.

I think gcg's point is that once one of these men get a square hit on this tiny kid, he's not going to be so fearless and will be dropping balls, that is if he gets up off the turf afterwards. Welcome to the B1G, son.
170 pound WR's from Purdue tend to give NU some issue though:

Dorien Bryant
2004: 5 rec 60 yards 1 TD
2005: 16 rec 153 yards
2006: 5 rec 57 yards
2007: 7 rec 65 yards 1 TD
Career: 335 yards receiving 2 TD's

It appears smaller WR's from Purdue give NU fits now doesn't it.

Know how many players taking the field wearing Gold and Black know what it is like to beat Northwestern?

Zero.

That will likely remain unchanged by the end of the day.
Awfully overconfident for a fanbase that still doesn’t know for sure that their “star” QB will even be cleared to play tonight and for which the Vegas wiseguys have Purdue as being a slight favorite to win.

Games that a coach who went 9-33 overall (winning 3 BIG games in 4 years) and led Purdue into don’t really count for much tonight. Just like those dark days when Dennis Green and Francis Peay were on the Mildcats sideline don’t count for much tonight either? Or do they? Or the fact that NW has one of worst programs historically in the entire NCAA (NW fans whisper under their breath “Thank God for Indiana and Rutgers”).

I think NW is in for rude awakening tonight. NW has gotten a lot of hype about winning 8 straight games and such. NW rarely does well when they are so overhyped (remember last year in MBB?).

Not every time. Only takes one.

170 pound WR's from Purdue tend to give NU some issue though:

Dorien Bryant
2004: 5 rec 60 yards 1 TD
2005: 16 rec 153 yards
2006: 5 rec 57 yards
2007: 7 rec 65 yards 1 TD
Career: 335 yards receiving 2 TD's

It appears smaller WR's from Purdue give NU fits now doesn't it.

A decade ago. When our defenses were awful.

Awfully overconfident for a fanbase that still doesn’t know for sure that their “star” QB will even be cleared to play tonight and for which the Vegas wiseguys have Purdue as being a slight favorite to win.

Games that a coach who went 9-33 overall (winning 3 BIG games in 4 years) and led Purdue into don’t really count for much tonight. Just like those dark days when Dennis Green and Francis Peay were on the Mildcats sideline don’t count for much tonight either? Or do they? Or the fact that NW has one of worst programs historically in the entire NCAA (NW fans whisper under their breath “Thank God for Indiana and Rutgers”).

I think NW is in for rude awakening tonight. NW has gotten a lot of hype about winning 8 straight games and such. NW rarely does well when they are so overhyped (remember last year in MBB?).

1) He's playing.

2) The line in Vegas has moved from +3.5 at the open to anywhere from +1.0-1.5 today, basically a "pick 'em," in no small part because of rising confidence that Thorson will play.

3) No, what happened two decades ago doesn't matter. Northwestern is the better program right now. Period.

Where is this coming from? Zero indications that this is remotely an issue with him. He is confident, but not overconfident.
Lights, camera, action in front of 50K plus audience & national TV coverage can make anyone have jitters or yips. I hear he is great. I know he has potential to be great. Now, show us all. Trust me, I'm on your side. I want him to be great.

1) He's playing.

2) The line in Vegas has moved from +3.5 at the open to anywhere from +1.0-1.5 today, basically a "pick 'em," in no small part because of rising confidence that Thorson will play.

3) No, what happened two decades ago doesn't matter. Northwestern is the better program right now. Period.
We'll see come 10:30 pm CST if your as cocky as you are right now.

1) He's playing.

1) Says who? Not NW, at least so far. No media that I’ve seen either.
2) Or some NW alum money flowed in because of their overconfidence, like yours?
3) IF they are, they won’t be for long. Obviously, the wiseguys don’t think that NW is the better team on our field tonight, otherwise you’d be favored. NW has plateaued at a good level, but NW will not go from good to great. Let me know when NW starts competing seriously for BIG West titles, and then we can think about NW being a great program. Purdue is on the ascent and with our staff, recruiting, and reawakening fanbase will soon surpass NW as a program. You guys win 10 games and have trouble getting 35K of your own fans in your stands. We’ll have 52-54K on a Thursday night. We’re not Michigan, OSU, PSU when it comes to fanbases, but our fans will show out this year and going forward. Our recruiting is only getting better and so are our teams.

1) Says who? Not NW, at least so far. No media that I’ve seen either.
2) Or some NW alum money flowed in because of their overconfidence, like yours?
3) IF they are, they won’t be for long. Obviously, the wiseguys don’t think that NW is the better team on our field tonight, otherwise you’d be favored. NW has plateaued at a good level, but NW will not go from good to great. Let me know when NW starts competing seriously for BIG West titles, and then we can think about NW being a great program. Purdue is on the ascent and with our staff, recruiting, and reawakening fanbase will soon surpass NW as a program. You guys win 10 games and have trouble getting 35K of your own fans in your stands. We’ll have 52-54K on a Thursday night. We’re not Michigan, OSU, PSU when it comes to fanbases, but our fans will show out this year and going forward. Our recruiting is only getting better and so are our teams.

1) He's playing.

2) Moves a day or two before the game are typically "smart money" professional bettors

3) I anticipate we take the next incremental step toward consistently competing for championships starting with the 2020 recruiting class and when Hunter Johnson takes the field for three years starting in the 2019 season; his transfer was crucial for NU as we aren't exactly confident in the QB options behind Thorson. Our recruiting is getting better, too.

So, let me understand this correctly - so you're inexperience on D isn't that bad because some of the new players played extensively last year? But, somehow our inexperienced secondary is in deep trouble even though we return our best player in the unit and All-B1G CB, a second kid who started games for us (until he was injured), and our new starting safeties include our regular nickelback and another kid who played extensively?

Got it.

Thank goodness we return almost the rest of our starting defense.

I think you might be replying to the wrong person... my post said nothing about your defense. I was commenting on our defense only. My post said I'm concerned about the inexperience on the DL, but I'm happy with LBs talent (concerned about depth) and secondary (we didn't lose much in the secondary). We are returning only 4 starters- but we are also returning both nickel/dime CBs who moved up, similar to what NU has done (per your post).

I believe I read somewhere that NU is only returning 6 on defense. Is that correct? Or are you guys returning more?

1) He's playing.

Your own SB Nation page said under 24 hours ago that the released injury report only contained Thorson on it as questionable. My guess is that your #2 will get the start and if he struggles and NU needs a drive late in the game or to start the second half, Thorson gets the nod.

I also haven't seen anyone state that NU isn't a better program right now that Purdue. Any rational PU fan would tell you the same thing. The issue is that the glaring difference where the two programs were at two years ago has closed significantly. If Purdue takes strides similar to those they took last year as a program, Purdue and NU will be on equal footing much sooner rather than later.

Reactions: ejs1111

Good luck.

I think both sides are wearing tinted glasses- which is to be expected. You are here on the visiting team's message board. What did you expect to find? Of course we are confident and want to win the game. I'm both nervous and excited personally.

Yes last season our offense struggled against your D. But your D graduated 4+ players and won't be the same as last season. Our offense returns 9 starters plus gained a multi-yr OL starter as a graduate transfer. Our OL is a year older and stronger. They are now in year 2 with the Brohmfense. Last year our QB tore his ACL in the game against NU, but kept playing anyway. Our skill position players are improved over last season as well. Home game environment. Will these factors be enough to help Purdue move the ball against your defense? I don't know- I hope so!

Personally I don't agree that your offense will be 'better'. It might be by midseason, but not on game 1. Thor is not 100% yet. If you think he is you are fooling yourself. He will be eventually- but not this soon. The best RB NU has ever had graduated. Yes I agree that Larkin is very good, but he is still a step down from what you had. The offense will need to adapt to his strengths. Will the NU offense be firing on all cylinders on game 1? I doubt it. Can the 'lesser' Purdue D stop them? I hope so!

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I think you might be replying to the wrong person... my post said nothing about your defense. I was commenting on our defense only. My post said I'm concerned about the inexperience on the DL, but I'm happy with LBs talent (concerned about depth) and secondary (we didn't lose much in the secondary). We are returning only 4 starters- but we are also returning both nickel/dime CBs who moved up, similar to what NU has done (per your post).

I believe I read somewhere that NU is only returning 6 on defense. Is that correct? Or are you guys returning more?

We lose Lancaster (DT), Walsh (LB), Queiro (S), and Igwebuike (S). Thing is that Walsh and Queiro both got hurt mid-year so their replacements (Gallagher and McGee/Pace, respectively) also started a handful of games in 2018. So we lose a decent amount from our opening day roster, they’re largely being replaced by “quasi-starters” from last year.

Our defense is very veteran and should be very good.

Reactions: ejs1111
Your own SB Nation page said under 24 hours ago that the released injury report only contained Thorson on it as questionable. My guess is that your #2 will get the start and if he struggles and NU needs a drive late in the game or to start the second half, Thorson gets the nod.

I also haven't seen anyone state that NU isn't a better program right now that Purdue. Any rational PU fan would tell you the same thing. The issue is that the glaring difference where the two programs were at two years ago has closed significantly. If Purdue takes strides similar to those they took last year as a program, Purdue and NU will be on equal footing much sooner rather than later.

Your guess is wrong. Thorson is playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT