ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions......

SunnyFL24

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 30, 2013
I know this is earlier than normal.....but what the hell...... the next 6 days can't get here soon enough!!!! Since our defense will be a little green and our offense will have to carry us early.... I will say we win a tight one 31-30!!!!

Last edited:
I say that Clayton will play, so I am going go with our Boilers 31 - 24. Let's rock Ross Ade!!

Didn't know if anyone caught the Bleacher Report Bowl predictions???? They have us on a New Years Eve game playing USC in the Holiday Bowl...They are high on the Boilers even though we play a brutal schedule!! I would love to have that come true...........Great to be posting again.....been away since January!!! Praise Jesus!!!! Boiler football has arrived!!

Maybe not 40 but 35. Boilers 27 cats 17!

This game scares the hell out of NU fans. It will be a highly charged season opening atmosphere, and the Boilers will have their hair on fire with the carryover momentum of last year. So many positives for the Boilers. The only thing going for the Cats is that they are historically one of the best road dog teams ATS in the Country.

No prediction here. But know this. Cat fans would view it as a very positive sign for the rest of the season if NU snuck out of West Lafayette with the W.

GOUNUII

With a nearly healthy dose of Sparks and Moore at the WR and Jones/Knox pounding the pavement, the Boilers move the ball but a few TO’s deep in NU territory keep it a close game through the 4th. Thieneman comes up with a big play in the secondary and picks off Thorson and returns it deep in to NU territory for a game sealing FG.

Purdue 36 NU 27

This game scares the hell out of NU fans. It will be a highly charged season opening atmosphere, and the Boilers will have their hair on fire with the carryover momentum of last year. So many positives for the Boilers. The only thing going for the Cats is that they are historically one of the best road dog teams ATS in the Country.

No prediction here. But know this. Cat fans would view it as a very positive sign for the rest of the season if NU snuck out of West Lafayette with the W.

GOUNUII

I think Purdue will need to reach the mid-high 30's to beat NU. So many new pieces on defense and it's a tough challenge out the gate. Mistakes will be made.

So I am curious in how confident NU fans are in their defense? If they come out ready it will be a really tough match for Purdue (with health/depth issues everywhere).

I would say 34-31 Purdue. It's a very good gauge for both teams. This game to me is a coinflip and the atmosphere should be rockin.

I would also say Purdue will win if they can keep NU below 25, but that would be surprising. If Purdue struggles catching the ball, I just don't see them having much of a chance. Not sure if they can lean on their defense like they did last year while they figured things out on offense.

I am excited but nervous for this game. I have no idea what to expect. I think the team is ahead of what it was this time last year, and they have Louisville a run for their money. But, I think Northwestern is a better team than last year's Louisville team. I also don't think Purdue is sneaking up on anybody this year. Unfortunately, it is still a team that wasn't left much by The Haze and the talent CJB has brought in is still young and developing. After the '19 class arrives, expectations will climb dramatically. This year I would be ecstatic with 8 or 9 wins. I think 10 is achievable, but that would essentially be the same as winning 7 last year... a pretty big surprise. I view 5 wins as a dissapointment, but with the turnover/depth issues and the schedule, I would understand. Purdue has to start at least 2-2. The sooner they get the Ws, the better.

I think the Big will be good this year. I think Jimmy will have a 9-10 win season with a loss to OSU and that seat will warm up.

I think OSU is going to win again, despite having a coach that emphasizes wins and football over morals. I think Wisconsin will play them for the Big championship.

Penn State will have a chance at dethroning them. Will be interesting to watch.

In the west, the only real competition is Northwestern. If Northwestern dismantles Purdue and looks good (plus they stay healthy), they could bump off Wisconsin. I don't think Purdue has the talent to do it yet and they have a brutal schedule with all that youth. If Purdue beats Northwestern (which they have a chance), I think wisconisn wins the division by two games.

I can't wait for football season, but it would be nice to have a tuneup game instead of walking into one of the toughest games of the season. St least it's at home. Should be a fun one. I don't really expect a blowout one way or the other.

I think Purdue will need to reach the mid-high 30's to beat NU. So many new pieces on defense and it's a tough challenge out the gate. Mistakes will be made.

So I am curious in how confident NU fans are in their defense? If they come out ready it will be a really tough match for Purdue (with health/depth issues everywhere).

I would say 34-31 Purdue. It's a very good gauge for both teams. This game to me is a coinflip and the atmosphere should be rockin.

I would also say Purdue will win if they can keep NU below 25, but that would be surprising. If Purdue struggles catching the ball, I just don't see them having much of a chance. Not sure if they can lean on their defense like they did last year while they figured things out on offense.

I am excited but nervous for this game. I have no idea what to expect. I think the team is ahead of what it was this time last year, and they have Louisville a run for their money. But, I think Northwestern is a better team than last year's Louisville team. I also don't think Purdue is sneaking up on anybody this year. Unfortunately, it is still a team that wasn't left much by The Haze and the talent CJB has brought in is still young and developing. After the '19 class arrives, expectations will climb dramatically. This year I would be ecstatic with 8 or 9 wins. I think 10 is achievable, but that would essentially be the same as winning 7 last year... a pretty big surprise. I view 5 wins as a dissapointment, but with the turnover/depth issues and the schedule, I would understand. Purdue has to start at least 2-2. The sooner they get the Ws, the better.

I think the Big will be good this year. I think Jimmy will have a 9-10 win season with a loss to OSU and that seat will warm up.

I think OSU is going to win again, despite having a coach that emphasizes wins and football over morals. I think Wisconsin will play them for the Big championship.

In the west, the only real competition is Northwestern. If Northwestern dismantles Purdue and looks good (plus they stay healthy), they could bump off Wisconsin. I don't think Purdue has the talent to do it yet and they have a brutal schedule with all that youth. If Purdue beats Northwestern (which they have a chance), I think wisconisn wins the division by two games.

I can't wait for football season, but it would be nice to have a tuneup game instead of walking into one of the toughest games of the season. St least it's at home. Should be a fun one. I don't really expect a blowout one way or the other.

The NU defensive front seven is very good. The back end is replacing both starting safeties. Purdue will need to exploit the safeties to score 24 or more. I still see NU as having a defensive advantage. But Purdue has the big play advantage on offense. NU won't win if Purdue hits the big play down field and sustains the momentum those plays provide.

Should be a great game.

GOUNUII

I put NU's magic number at 28. I think if they hit that number they win. Their defense won't give up 30 points. I think it'll be a 24-20ish score

Our front seven is talented and deep. The starting front seven is the best in the Western Conference and in my opinion comparable to Michigan and OSU. There is no way you guys score 30-40 points on this defense and I believe you'll struggle to crack 20. You'll need to run the ball effectively and have good run/pass balance in order to keep our defense line honest. If you can do that and Thorson is rusty, your best shot is to win a 21-17 game. If you can't, I honestly don't see how Purdue wins this game. Of course, this assumes Thorson is healthy and plays.

Our front seven is talented and deep. The starting front seven is the best in the Western Conference and in my opinion comparable to Michigan and OSU. There is no way you guys score 30-40 points on this defense and I believe you'll struggle to crack 20. You'll need to run the ball effectively and have good run/pass balance in order to keep our defense line honest. If you can do that and Thorson is rusty, your best shot is to win a 21-17 game. If you can't, I honestly don't see how Purdue wins this game. Of course, this assumes Thorson is healthy and plays.
It's not even for sure that the doctors have cleared Thorson to play. Without him, Purdue will beat NW fairly easily.

BTW, NW isn't and will never be as good as Michigan is under Don Brown. It's laughable that NW fans would even think such a thing.

Reactions: GuessYouWereWrong
I put NU's magic number at 28. I think if they hit that number they win. Their defense won't give up 30 points. I think it'll be a 24-20ish score
Brohm has had an entire offseason to prepare for this game. Our offense got significantly better as the season wore on last year. NW hasn't been given the green light by Thorson's doctors to play him yet. Without him, NW will not beat Purdue at Purdue.

Reactions: GuessYouWereWrong
The NU defensive front seven is very good. The back end is replacing both starting safeties. Purdue will need to exploit the safeties to score 24 or more. I still see NU as having a defensive advantage. But Purdue has the big play advantage on offense. NU won't win if Purdue hits the big play down field and sustains the momentum those plays provide.

Should be a great game.

GOUNUII
Brohm is going to bomb NW into submission. Our WR has gotten some significant upgrades (speed and athleticism-wise) and we still have our QBs, OL, TEs, and RBs coming back. A couple of the RBs are banged up.

It's not even for sure that the doctors have cleared Thorson to play. Without him, Purdue will beat NW fairly easily.

BTW, NW isn't and will never be as good as Michigan is under Don Brown. It's laughable that NW fans would even think such a thing.

No one will know for sure about Thorson until game time, but every indication points to him being completely healthy and ready to play. If you guys are resting your hopes on Thorson not playing, I think you'll be disappointed. As far as the defense is concerned, I responded to the poster who asked for NU fans to opine on the defense. That's what I did. I am not interested in getting in a back and forth with a poster who obviously hasn't taken much time to study his team's upcoming opponent. Northwestern led the Big Ten in fewest rushing yards allowed last year, was sixth in team sacks and is returning pretty much everyone from it's front seven including the sacks leader in the Big Ten last year . Purdue's offense is dangerous but Brohm will need to find a way to run the ball against NU to put up points and have a legit chance to win the game. If you guys think Sindelar can just drop back and win the game by chucking the ball all night, I think you are in for a rude awakening. Gaziano, Miller, Thompson, Fisher and Hall are just a few of the names from our front seven who will be making life miserable on your quarterback if you can't find a way to deploy a balanced attack.

If you guys are resting your hopes on Thorson not playing, I think you'll be disappointed.
Disappointed? I would rather say ... concerned. But, either way, the reading I've done seems to indicate that Thorson will be the deciding factor in this game.

No one will know for sure about Thorson until game time, but every indication points to him being completely healthy and ready to play. If you guys are resting your hopes on Thorson not playing, I think you'll be disappointed. As far as the defense is concerned, I responded to the poster who asked for NU fans to opine on the defense. That's what I did. I am not interested in getting in a back and forth with a poster who obviously hasn't taken much time to study his team's upcoming opponent. Northwestern led the Big Ten in fewest rushing yards allowed last year, was sixth in team sacks and is returning pretty much everyone from it's front seven including the sacks leader in the Big Ten last year . Purdue's offense is dangerous but Brohm will need to find a way to run the ball against NU to put up points and have a legit chance to win the game. If you guys think Sindelar can just drop back and win the game by chucking the ball all night, I think you are in for a rude awakening. Gaziano, Miller, Thompson, Fisher and Hall are just a few of the names from our front seven who will be making life miserable on your quarterback if you can't find a way to deploy a balanced attack.
You guys act like you're a potential national championship contender, crowing on our board about how great your team is supposed to be. When you start making comments about Purdue just having "a legit chance to win the game", you obviously have been drinking too much purple Kool-Aid. The line on the game has been -3 to -3.5 Purdue consistently, so Vegas thinks we have a more than a "legit chance" to win at home.

You obviously don't know squat about Purdue, because our offense returns nearly intact, and we've added some new pieces to make it even better. We've added some speed to the team. We will run the ball. Last year's stats don't mean a thing this year.

I highly doubt we will see Thorson running option plays and getting passes thrown to him, even if he is cleared by Dr. James Andrews. If you guys lose him, you are toast.

Brohm has had an entire offseason to prepare for this game. Our offense got significantly better as the season wore on last year. NW hasn't been given the green light by Thorson's doctors to play him yet. Without him, NW will not beat Purdue at Purdue.

Yes they have

Just to make this a little more fact-based, I went back and looked at the stats on ESPN from last season:

National ranking in category shown in ( )

Defensive Points/game allowed
NW 19.8 (19)
Pur 19.3 (18)

Yards allowed/game (Total defense)
NW 359 (39)
Pur 371 (47)

Rush Yards Allowed/game
NW 111 (9)
Pur 133 (30)

Pass Yards Allowed/game
NW 248 (100)
Pur 238 (86)

Sacks
NW 32 (33)
Pur 29 (45) - tied with Iowa for 7th in BIG and one place above the Spartans

So Purdue gave up slightly less points on average than NW, gave up slightly more yards on the ground, gave up slightly less yards through the air, and had nearly as many sacks. You touted NW as having an awesome sack machine of a D. Last year Purdue did not have a great pass rush and yet we nearly matched you guys.

Your secondary is going to be very young and inexperienced. You guys were 100th in the nation in pass defense and slightly above average in the BIG for sacks. You should be concerned about Purdue throwing on your defense. We return nearly all OL starters and added a former starter under Brohm at WKU -Dennis Edwards - at Guard.

ESPN has Boilers as a 3 pt. favorite and USA Today says 2.5....so I will trust the oddsmakers and go 34-31 Boilers win!

Just to make this a little more fact-based, I went back and looked at the stats on ESPN from last season:

National ranking in category shown in ( )

Defensive Points/game allowed
NW 19.8 (19)
Pur 19.3 (18)

Yards allowed/game (Total defense)
NW 359 (39)
Pur 371 (47)

Rush Yards Allowed/game
NW 111 (9)
Pur 133 (30)

Pass Yards Allowed/game
NW 248 (100)
Pur 238 (86)

Sacks
NW 32 (33)
Pur 29 (45) - tied with Iowa for 7th in BIG and one place above the Spartans

So Purdue gave up slightly less points on average than NW, gave up slightly more yards on the ground, gave up slightly less yards through the air, and had nearly as many sacks. You touted NW as having an awesome sack machine of a D. Last year Purdue did not have a great pass rush and yet we nearly matched you guys.

Your secondary is going to be very young and inexperienced. You guys were 100th in the nation in pass defense and slightly above average in the BIG for sacks. You should be concerned about Purdue throwing on your defense. We return nearly all OL starters and added a former starter under Brohm at WKU -Dennis Edwards - at Guard.

How do you figure we’ll be very young in our defensive backfield?. We return both of our starting CBs , our starting nickel who will be one of our starting safeties and our other starting safety played extensively last year as a true freshman and may be the most talented player in our defensive backfield.

As far as your comparisons between our defenses last year, I think everybody knows that Purdue’s defense played surprisingly well last year. Problem is you lost the majority of your starters/key players from last year’s team whereas we are returning the bulk of our starters/key players from last year’s unit. You know this so I am not really sure what point you are trying to make by citing those stats.

Last edited:
ESPN has Boilers as a 3 pt. favorite and USA Today says 2.5....so I will trust the oddsmakers and go 34-31 Boilers win!

Trust at your peril. Purdue is just 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games vs NU. And it gets worse at home where the Boilers are just 1-4 ATS in its last 5 match ups with the Cats. That parallels NU's broader record ATS. 7-1 in its last 8 games (all wins by NU) and 4-1 ATS in its last 5 road games. So the odds makers are on a roll underestimating the Cats 80% or more of the time and overestimating the Boilers nearly as often. Which is of course largely dictated by the perceptions of the betting public, not any sort of objective relative strength analysis by the odds makers.

GOUNUII

How do you figure we’ll be very young in our defensive backfield?. We return both of our starting CBs , our starting nickel who will be one of our starting safeties and our other starting safety played extensively last year as a true freshman and may be the most talented player in our defensive backfield.

As far as your comparisons between our defenses last year, I think everybody knows that Purdue’s defense played surprisingly well last year. Problem is you lost the majority of your starters/keep players from last year’s team whereas we are returning the bulk of our starters/key players from last year’s unit. You know this so I am not really sure what point you are trying to make by citing those stats.
Purdue’s defense is powered by its scheme. Nick Holt’s scheme - the one he used at USC when they were winning NCs under Pete Carroll. Prior to last season, Brohm said repeatedly that the defense would be quite good. He was right. And guess what - he’s saying the exact same thing this year. The defense is playing very well. He says that our secondary will be improved vs. last year and that our front seven is younger, but more athletic than last year’s.

The point I was trying to make is that you made it sound like your defense is going to be a total juggernaut this year. A impenetrable fortress. You touted how great you were at sacking the QB (NW was 6th in the BIG, Purdue was 7th). We only gave up 20 ypg on the ground more than NW. Your secondary lost some key pieces and you were 100th in pass defense last year.

We are favored at home by 3 points for a reason. This game is going to be a tough one for both teams as a first game. Purdue has the advantage playing in our place vs. your glorified HS stadium when there are often more opposing fans in the seats than Wildcats fans. I think Purdue wins this game something like 28-24.

We will chase Thorson all over the field - that is if he’s even cleared to play vs Purdue. We will contain Larkin and keep him from breaking off long runs. Your secondary will be tested right out of the gate, our TEs will give you fits, and we will have some success running with Markell Jones and DJ Knox.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Yes they have

Your 2017 offense put up a lot of points on everybody but Wisconsin, Michigan and Northwestern....where it managed just 9,10 and 13 points. The best defenses almost always get the better of spread offenses.

Placing your hopes on off season game planning is foolish. There isn't anything schematically special about the NU defense. They just play fundamentally sound, smart ... hard nosed football. And they have better play makers than opposing fans assume. Brohm's biggest off season challenges were getting his players to play hard and smart more consistently. And finding depth in the Boiler defensive front seven. Are your young and inexperienced DEs and OLBs up to the challenge? Will they be more prone to mistakes as the game approaches the 4th quarter? They will be tested for sure.

GOUNUII

Trust at your peril. Purdue is just 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games vs NU. And it gets worse at home where the Boilers are just 1-4 ATS in its last 5 match ups with the Cats. That parallels NU's broader record ATS. 7-1 in its last 8 games (all wins by NU) and 4-1 ATS in its last 5 road games. So the odds makers are on a roll underestimating the Cats 80% or more of the time and overestimating the Boilers nearly as often. Which is of course largely dictated by the perceptions of the betting public, not any sort of objective relative strength analysis by the odds makers.

GOUNUII
The last seven games don’t mean squat. Brohm didn’t coach those games, except last year’s in Evanston. Who cares what the spread was with Hazell? He had a 9-33 record for Purdue and won 3 BIG games in 4 seasons.

No one is underestimating NW this year. If anything, NW is overhyped coming off a 10-3 season and some pundits saying NW will challenge for the BIG West title. Not going to happen. I think NW loses to both Purdue and Duke early in the season. Duke demolished you last year and Fitz has a bad habit of losing games to teams he shouldn’t early in the season.

Reactions: Purdue85
The last seven games don’t mean squat. Brohm didn’t coach those games, except last year’s in Evanston. Who cares what the spread was with Hazell? He had a 9-33 record for Purdue and won 3 BIG games in 4 seasons.

No one is underestimating NW this year. If anything, NW is overhyped coming off a 10-3 season and some pundits saying NW will challenge for the BIG West title. Not going to happen. I think NW loses to both Purdue and Duke early in the season. Duke demolished you last year and Fitz has a bad habit of losing games to teams he shouldn’t early in the season.

Not meaning to undermine you here. But a bit of humbleness is probably in order based on how Purdue played against Northwestern last year. Purdue's offense didn't put up big numbers against strong defenses last year. I hope that's not the case this year. But the first couple of games in a season normally see an advantage toward the stronger defense. Purdue's defense is an unknown while Northwestern returns most of it's starters from last year. Do I think Purdue can win? Yes. Would I talk smack about it toward Northwestern fans? No. You seem to be fired up about a response from the NU guy on here. He only gave his opinion, which he was asked to do. He didn't come on the Purdue board to talk smack. So not sure why youre arguing with him on something no one knows until the game is played.

Purdue 34 Wildcats 27...…

Balanced attack with Purdue taking an early lead and then running it down their throats in the 4th quarter to take time off the clock.

200+ yards passing and 200+ yard running.....

Boiler Up!

Your 2017 offense put up a lot of points on everybody but Wisconsin, Michigan and Northwestern....where it managed just 9,10 and 13 points. The best defenses almost always get the better of spread offenses.

Placing your hopes on off season game planning is foolish. There isn't anything schematically special about the NU defense. They just play fundamentally sound, smart ... hard nosed football. And they have better play makers than opposing fans assume. Brohm's biggest off season challenges were getting his players to play hard and smart more consistently. And finding depth in the Boiler defensive front seven. Are your young and inexperienced DEs and OLBs up to the challenge? Will they be more prone to mistakes as the game approaches the 4th quarter? They will be tested for sure.

GOUNUII
Again, we are playing NW, not Alabama or Clemson in our first game. We are playing at home.

One thing no one questions is whether Brohm’s teams play hard and consistently smart. On occasion we do get Personal Fouls and targeting calls, but as last season wore on much of that went away.

You seriously underestimate Brohm as a game planner. Louisville was a heavy favorite in our opener last year with Lamar Jackson at QB and athletes all over the field - many more than NW has. We took them to the wire. Against AZ in our bowl game, same thing, but we beat them in a thrilling game.

Not meaning to undermine you here. But a bit of humbleness is probably in order based on how Purdue played against Northwestern last year. Purdue's offense didn't put up big numbers against strong defenses last year. I hope that's not the case this year. But the first couple of games in a season normally see an advantage toward the stronger defense. Purdue's defense is an unknown while Northwestern returns most of it's starters from last year. Do I think Purdue can win? Yes. Would I talk smack about it toward Northwestern fans? No. You seem to be fired up about a response from the NU guy on here. He only gave his opinion, which he was asked to do. He didn't come on the Purdue board to talk smack. So not sure why youre arguing with him on something no one knows until the game is played.
Sorry, I’m not going to apologize for trying to set a couple of d-bag Wildcat fans straight. They seem to think they’re going to have their way with Purdue this year. You tell me to show some humility but they showed little themselves on our boards.

Prior to last season NW fans were crowing about how great their MBB team was going to be. They didn’t even make the NCAAT.

Many times NW has been hyped in the preseason only to piss down their leg when their teams actually took the field or the court.

ADVERTISEMENT