ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions......

Quite the thread here. Looking forward to the game tomorrow and stopped over to see your perspective, I was not expecting such hostility between the Northwestern and Purdue fan bases.

Now, if both sides can admit that this game doesn't matter as you will both ultimately get steamrolled by MSU, then maybe we can get somewhere. ;)

Gee, I have found the Boiler fans informed and interesting, but not hostile.
You are from MSU and talking smack.
Mississippi State? TheCats beat them last time out.
Oh, MICHIGAN State. The one that has lost its last two to Northwestern?

Reactions: Gladeskat
Quite the thread here. Looking forward to the game tomorrow and stopped over to see your perspective, I was not expecting such hostility between the Northwestern and Purdue fan bases.

Now, if both sides can admit that this game doesn't matter as you will both ultimately get steamrolled by MSU, then maybe we can get somewhere. ;)

Gee, I have found the Boiler fans informed and interesting, but not hostile.
You are from MSU and talking smack.
Mississippi State? TheCats beat them last time out.
Oh, MICHIGAN State. The one that has lost its last two to Northwestern?

Got one on the line!

Got one on the line!
Ok. Now I am really confused. I assume you are a Michigan State fan posting on a Purdue board in a week you don’t have a game with them. After coming into what has been a generally civil thread yelling “Fight, fight!” and adding that (presumably) Michigan State will roll both and that you have me on the line when I point out that (what I assume to be) your team has lost 2 straight to one of the teams you are taunting? Have you ever watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Last edited:
Brohm is going to bomb NW into submission. Our WR has gotten some significant upgrades (speed and athleticism-wise) and we still have our QBs, OL, TEs, and RBs coming back. A couple of the RBs are banged up.

Who's the freshman speedster I saw on Black and Gold days for you guys? I could see him posing some mismatches this year.

I find it fascinating that you have lost 7 starters on defense and truly believe that all of the replacements will be a much better in the first game of the season. Maybe you are right. We will find our in 24 hours.

Got one on the line!
Ok. Now I am really confused. I assume you are a Michigan State fan posting on a Purdue board in a week you don’t have a game with them. After coming into what has been a generally civil thread yelling “Fight, fight!” and adding that (presumably) Michigan State will roll both and that you have me on the line when I point out that (what I assume to be) your team has lost 2 straight to one of the teams you are taunting? Have you ever watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Sheesh, you must really be the life of the party

I find it fascinating that you have lost 7 starters on defense and truly believe that all of the replacements will be a much better in the first game of the season. Maybe you are right. We will find our in 24 hours.
And NW lost its "all-world" RB and a chunk of its secondary. Care to take a guess who Brohm is going to be targeting?

Purdue DC Nick Holt and Jeff Brohm have both said that Purdue's defense is looking good this fall. Brohm said that before last season, too, when Purdue ended up giving up 20 ppg after giving up 38 ppg the season before. I'll trust our coaches over a Mildcats fans anyday. Prior to last season there was some skepticism about Brohm's comments on the defense. As it turned out, he really meant what he said. The defense was vastly improved because of Nick Holt's scheme - a scheme he also used at USC under Pete Carroll.

Reactions: ejs1111
And NW lost its "all-world" RB and a chunk of its secondary. Care to take a guess who Brohm is going to be targeting?

Purdue DC Nick Holt and Jeff Brohm have both said that Purdue's defense is looking good this fall. Brohm said that before last season, too, when Purdue ended up giving up 20 ppg after giving up 38 ppg the season before. I'll trust our coaches over a Mildcats fans anyday. Prior to last season there was some skepticism about Brohm's comments on the defense. As it turned out, he really meant what he said. The defense was vastly improved because of Nick Holt's scheme - a scheme he also used at USC under Pete Carroll.
now it sounds like Thorson is "questionable" for tomorrow night, unless NW is playing games.

If so, this doesn't look good for NW.

Twin’s standard for coaching excellence is:

1. The Legendary Robert Montgomery Knight
1077. Everyone Else
1078. Hazell

I have to agree about 1078.
Actually, you might want to put Nick Saban even with Knight. Put Tommy Lasorda at 10, Keady at 30, and Brohm about 150 since he's only coached one year in a viable league.

Still sticking to my Purdue win.....but it will be a hard fought hard hitting...let hope all make it out healthy affair.

The teams that really win will be the next game for both NU and Purdue because these two team will be sore for sure after this grind it out game.

Duke and Eastern Michigan may be the real winners after is game...…

Just a thought.....

Boiler Up!

Of course that’s what they’re going to say. You think a coach is going to stand in front of a press conference and say “well, we’re pretty damn bad on defense. Hope we can win four games this year”?

Do yourself a favor and look up Jeremy Larkin before kickoff. You’ll be hearing his name a whole lot tonight.

Of course that’s what they’re going to say. You think a coach is going to stand in front of a press conference and say “well, we’re pretty damn bad on defense. Hope we can win four games this year”?

Do yourself a favor and look up Jeremy Larkin before kickoff. You’ll be hearing his name a whole lot tonight.
He was a stud in high school here in Cincinnati. The Larkin family has a few good athletes. Will be a great game.

We held “All-World” Jackson to 46 yards rushing with Holt’s scheme last year. I know who Larkin is. He is good but he doesn’t scare me.

BTW, there is increasing chatter that Thorson will not play tonight. Not cleared to play. If true, NW is screwed.

You should look at tape of Rondale Moore. I suspect you’ll see him blowing by your secondary defenders tonight.

Sensitive group over here...
Not sensitive, just disinterested in your comments,

Sorry to give you the bad news. You are like that guy at a party that puts the lamp shade on his head and starts dancing badly, begging for attention, but every one takes a quick look and turns back to talk to their friends. So you start talking louder, saying more . Pretty soon you just walk out the door saying “You guys suck!”. Everyone else is relieved.

Seen this before when the MSU PC used to stop by and correct us on the basketball forum. All I can say is, “Well... bye”.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
We held “All-World” Jackson to 46 yards rushing with Holt’s scheme last year. I know who Larkin is. He is good but he doesn’t scare me.

BTW, there is increasing chatter that Thorson will not play tonight. Not cleared to play. If true, NW is screwed.

You should look at tape of Rondale Moore. I suspect you’ll see him blowing by your secondary defenders tonight.

He's playing.

Rondale Moore is a midget. A fast midget, but a midget nonetheless. Hard to see him as much more than a gadget-type player in his first collegiate game.

I'm updating any prediction I've had previously. If Thorson is a no go. We pull away late in 3rd Qtr.
Purdue 31
NW 14

If Thorson is cleared to play and plays well. Really it would be an even up game and giving Purdue 3 pts home field advantage. That score could be reversed as well.
Purdue 24
NW 21

Will be fun to watch.

He's playing.

Rondale Moore is a midget. A fast midget, but a midget nonetheless. Hard to see him as much more than a gadget-type player in his first collegiate game.
Yes, 5’9” and squats 600 pounds. He also runs in the low 4.3s. Doubt NW has anyone who can keep up with him. He is an athletic freak.

He's playing.

Don’t be surprised if he touches the ball on Purdue’s first offensive play.

If Moore is a midget, so is Flynn Nagel. Moore >> Nagel

If Thorson doesn’t play and Northwestern wins, NU fans are going to troll so hard (and rightfully so). If Thorson doesn’t play and Purdue beats them, the excuses will fly (and again... rightfully so). I want Purdue to win, but it means a lot more of they have Thorson healthy.

This game has me nervous and excited. I can’t wait for this game! Others have said it, but on paper Northwestern is the more talented team. Even at home, if Purdue wins, I would consider it an upset based on what the teams did last year and what Purdue lost. That doesn’t mean I think Northwestern will end with a better record, but Purdue has a lot to prove and a lot of questions to answer.

The build up for this season has been incredible. Last year was great but there was a cautious optimism. I think most folks predicted 4-6 wins. This year 6 wins is on the low side of my expectations. Even with how excited I am this year, I imagine the build up for next year with that ‘19 class is going to be even greater!

BTFU.. hope Purdue airs it out and torches UN in the passing game. It will come down to who does a better job at exploiting the other team’s weakness. UN will be able to run the ball and stop the run. Purdue is replacing most of their front 7 and their RB’s have been dinged up. Purdue’s strength better be their recievers/TEs because Northwestern pass rush is the team’s biggest flaw. Purdue’s Oline will be worth watching as well. Lots of talent and experience coming back.

With the line at 3.5 I would take Northwestern and the points. I imagine if Purdue wins, it will be by 3 or less. I think it will be a fantastic game and may even be the best game of the week.

He's playing.

The Rondale Moore factor will be interesting to see how that plays out. 1st game jitters or will he calm and collect. We'll know soon enough.

Yes, 5’9” and squats 600 pounds. He also runs in the low 4.3s. Doubt NW has anyone who can keep up with him. He is an athletic freak.
Will he have focus in his 1st game? I hope so. Catch a majority of his targets and it will be fun to watch the yards after catch.

Will he have focus in his 1st game? I hope so. Catch a majority of his targets and it will be fun to watch the yards after catch.
What indications are there that this is even a relevant issue? Both Brohm and Sheppard day he is disciplined, takes coaching well, and is a smart player.

Know how many players taking the field on Thursday know NU football as perennial losers?

Zero.

Know how many players taking the field wearing Gold and Black know what it is like to beat Northwestern?

Zero.

That will likely remain unchanged by the end of the day.

1200px-Cyprinus_carpio.jpeg

For some reason, this picture plus the fact that CourthouseCarp liked it amused me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT