ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions......

Sorry, I’m not going to apologize for trying to set a couple of d-bag Wildcat fans straight. They seem to think they’re going to have their way with Purdue this year. You tell me to show some humility but they showed little themselves on our boards.

Prior to last season NW fans were crowing about how great their MBB team was going to be. They didn’t even make the NCAAT.

Many times NW has been hyped in the preseason only to piss down their leg when their teams actually took the field or the court.
“Lions don’t lose sleep over the opinions of sheep”

Sorry, I’m not going to apologize for trying to set a couple of d-bag Wildcat fans straight. They seem to think they’re going to have their way with Purdue this year. You tell me to show some humility but they showed little themselves on our boards.

Prior to last season NW fans were crowing about how great their MBB team was going to be. They didn’t even make the NCAAT.

Many times NW has been hyped in the preseason only to piss down their leg when their teams actually took the field or the court.

The drama king has spoken. All hail the king.

GOUNUII

The drama king has spoken. All hail the king.

GOUNUII
Says the NW d-bag bragging about the Mildcats on our board. Have fun watching your team lose on Thursday night in front of a real (non-high school like) crowd.

You can’t handle facts so you resort to calling names. Eff off.

Here is my take:

Under Fitzgerald over the last few seasons, NW has traditionally had a hard time coming out of the gate when combined with even a marginal amount of expectations or sustaining that success within a season.

2017:
Beat an eventual 3-9 Nevada team 31-20 at home
Beaten by Duke 41-17

2016:
Beaten by a good MAC Chamption WMU 21-20 but followed up by a loss to 1AA Illinois State 9-7 to start 0-2

2015:
Started the season off well against Stanford and continued through the season to a 10-3 record.

2014:
Started the season beaten by an eventual 5-7 Call team and a NIU at home to start off 0-2. Finished 5-7.

2013:
Started off 4-0 and looked to be a favorite in their division but once expectations were raised, NU went 1-7 in their final 8 games beating Illinois 37-34.

2012:
Started off 5-0 with victories over Syracuse, Vandy, and Boston College. IMO, this was NU's best team since the Darnell Autry years. Ended up 10-3.

2011:
Beat an eventual 4-8 BC team 24-17 and then lost games 3-7 to end the season 6-7.

2010:
Started off 5-0 before losing to Purdue, MSU, PSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Texas Tech to finish 6-7.

2009:
Beat Towson before struggling with EMU and losing to Syracuse and Minnesota to start 1-3. Also struggled with Miami (OH) in game 6.

2008:
Ended the season 9-4 after starting off 5-0.

I'll stick with my assessment that NU is probably a 9 win team this season but one of those 9 doesn't come against Purdue in the opener (Duke, Akron, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, and the bowl game).

Here is my take:

Under Fitzgerald over the last few seasons, NW has traditionally had a hard time coming out of the gate when combined with even a marginal amount of expectations or sustaining that success within a season.

2017:
Beat an eventual 3-9 Nevada team 31-20 at home
Beaten by Duke 41-17

2016:
Beaten by a good MAC Chamption WMU 21-20 but followed up by a loss to 1AA Illinois State 9-7 to start 0-2

2015:
Started the season off well against Stanford and continued through the season to a 10-3 record.

2014:
Started the season beaten by an eventual 5-7 Call team and a NIU at home to start off 0-2. Finished 5-7.

2013:
Started off 4-0 and looked to be a favorite in their division but once expectations were raised, NU went 1-7 in their final 8 games beating Illinois 37-34.

2012:
Started off 5-0 with victories over Syracuse, Vandy, and Boston College. IMO, this was NU's best team since the Darnell Autry years. Ended up 10-3.

2011:
Beat an eventual 4-8 BC team 24-17 and then lost games 3-7 to end the season 6-7.

2010:
Started off 5-0 before losing to Purdue, MSU, PSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Texas Tech to finish 6-7.

2009:
Beat Towson before struggling with EMU and losing to Syracuse and Minnesota to start 1-3. Also struggled with Miami (OH) in game 6.

2008:
Ended the season 9-4 after starting off 5-0.

My point is that NU has a bit of history dropping games early in the season or later in the season when the expectations get picked up a bit. It feels to me that a lot of NU fans have some high expectations given the 10 win season last year but history seems to show that NU has a difficult time sustaining success either from season to season or within a season itself.

It's a mixed bag for sure with some real clunkers in there. Nobody has ever said being a Wildcat fan was easy. The team has rarely had enough talent to impose their will on anybody but the weakest Illinois teams.

Right now the team is on an 8 game winning streak. NU fans are counting on the importance of this road game against a quality BIG opponent, together with changes in the off season prep process, to avoid laying another early season egg. But we have learned to expect the unexpected ... both the good and the bad. Anything could happen on Thursday night.

GOUNUII

It's a mixed bag for sure with some real clunkers in there. Nobody has ever said being a Wildcat fan was easy. The team has rarely had enough talent to impose their will on anybody but the weakest Illinois teams.

Right now the team is on an 8 game winning streak. NU fans are counting on the importance of this road game against a quality BIG opponent, together with changes in the off season prep process, to avoid laying another early season egg. But we have learned to expect the unexpected ... both the good and the bad. Anything could happen on Thursday night.

GOUNUII
You would know better than I without having to scour over some stats and records...has NU really ever sustained success like they had last year (8 game winning streak) to another season? My recollection under Fitz would be no.

You would know better than I without having to scour over some stats and records...has NU really ever sustained success like they had last year (8 game winning streak) to another season? My recollection under Fitz would be no.

The answer is No. The closest he has come is in the current 3 year period 2015-16-17 when he went 10-3 ... 7-6 ... 10-3. The 7-6 season included losses to WMU and Ill. St. early in the season. Sustaining it in 2018 will be all the more difficult given the schedule. Crossovers with Michigan and @MSU. OOC games with a dangerous Duke team that whipped us last year and ND. A tough opener this Thursday night. We could actually play well all year, even better than last year, and still finish the regular season 7-5. Our margin for error is rarely large, but this year it will be razor thin in most of our games.

GOUNUII

The answer is No. The closest he has come is in the current 3 year period 2015-16-17 when he went 10-3 ... 7-6 ... 10-3. The 7-6 season included losses to WMU and Ill. St. early in the season. Sustaining it in 2018 will be all the more difficult given the schedule. Crossovers with Michigan and @MSU. OOC games with a dangerous Duke team that whipped us last year and ND. A tough opener this Thursday night. We could actually play well all year, even better than last year, and still finish the regular season 7-5. Our margin for error is rarely large, but this year it will be razor thin in most of our games.

GOUNUII
Hopefully this shows individuals on both sides of the Purdue and NU spectrum that a good conversation can be had without acting like a bunch of ego-maniacs.

Be respectfully proud of your university and athletic programs without being a douche. I don't like NU outside of when they play IU, ND, and Illinois...doesn't mean I have to be a dick about the disdain I have for them (other than the atrocity of Mike Greenberg you unleashed on us you sick *******'s....tic).

Reactions: mathboy
Our front seven is talented and deep. The starting front seven is the best in the Western Conference and in my opinion comparable to Michigan and OSU. There is no way you guys score 30-40 points on this defense and I believe you'll struggle to crack 20. You'll need to run the ball effectively and have good run/pass balance in order to keep our defense line honest. If you can do that and Thorson is rusty, your best shot is to win a 21-17 game. If you can't, I honestly don't see how Purdue wins this game. Of course, this assumes Thorson is healthy and plays.

Well, we had a total of 438 yards last year, so I think if our QB gets time, it will be an interesting game.

Hopefully this shows individuals on both sides of the Purdue and NU spectrum that a good conversation can be had without acting like a bunch of ego-maniacs.

Be respectfully proud of your university and athletic programs without being a douche. I don't like NU outside of when they play IU, ND, and Illinois...doesn't mean I have to be a dick about the disdain I have for them (other than the atrocity of Mike Greenberg you unleashed on us you sick *******'s....tic).

Most NU fans take the disdain as a compliment. Nobody hated NU when we were the surest win on their schedule.

GOUNUII

I agree there is no reason to sling mud back and forth over whose team is better/was better/will be better. Northwestern is not a natural or bitter rival that would bring that vitriol on. This is likely to be an exciting game, the result of which may come down to special teams, turnovers, and the occasional trick play. I can see either team winning but I foresee Purdue winning a good game. Wish I could be there but at least Purdue fans are using my tickets!

Trust at your peril. Purdue is just 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games vs NU. And it gets worse at home where the Boilers are just 1-4 ATS in its last 5 match ups with the Cats. That parallels NU's broader record ATS. 7-1 in its last 8 games (all wins by NU) and 4-1 ATS in its last 5 road games. So the odds makers are on a roll underestimating the Cats 80% or more of the time and overestimating the Boilers nearly as often. Which is of course largely dictated by the perceptions of the betting public, not any sort of objective relative strength analysis by the odds makers.

GOUNUII
You put too much weight into the years before the coaching change. You beat us last year 13-23, but the game was close. With our new coach, most of that comfortable history you are leaning on is of little consequence. Trust those old records (as you say) at your peril.

Well, we had a total of 438 yards last year, so I think if our QB gets time, it will be an interesting game.

You’ve hit on a crucial point. Our veteran defensive coordinator, Mike Hankiwitz, designs his defenses to give up passing yards , not rushing yards, between the 20s. It’s a bend but don’t break defense that is predicated on forcing FG attempts vs. TDs. Just like last year, I suspect your QB will get his yards but in order to win Purdue will need to get 7 points rather than settle for FG attempts when it gets to the red zone.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You put too much weight into the years before the coaching change. You beat us last year 13-23, but the game was close. With our new coach, most of that comfortable history you are leaning on is of little consequence. Trust those old records (as you say) at your peril.

Wait I’m confused. Are we supposed to ignore history (i.e. the fact that we’ve pretty regularly beaten Purdue over the past 15 years) or use it to prove that we sick (i.e. NU was god awful in the 1980s so we can’t mention that we’ve been a very solid program since the mid-1990s)?

You’ve hit on a crucial point. Our veteran defensive coordinator, Mike Hankiwitz, designs his defenses to give up passing yards , not rushing yards, between the 20s. It’s a bend but don’t break defense that is predicated on forcing FG attempts vs. TDs. Just like last year, I suspect your QB will get his yards but in order to win Purdue will need to get 7 points rather than settle for FG attempts when it gets to the red zone.
Don’t disagree with this at all.

Wait I’m confused. Are we supposed to ignore history (i.e. the fact that we’ve pretty regularly beaten Purdue over the past 15 years) or use it to prove that we sick (i.e. NU was god awful in the 1980s so we can’t mention that we’ve been a very solid program since the mid-1990s)?
NW is still one of the worst teams in the history of the NCAA overall. Thankfully for NW, IU and Rutgers are worse.

And, just to put things in perspective, 230 of those yards came in the last 20 minutes of the game after the score was 20-0. Cats dropped into the dreaded prevent and gave QB time last part of game. Purdue receivers should be more effective early this year, which could help Boilers, but Cats pass rush should be pretty strong. BTN bus tour cast some doubts on Purdue O-line, while praising NU D-line. If issue is time to throw, Cats should be pretty tough. Boilers best hope may be using stronger receiver corps early on play action, pressuring NU’s relatively new safeties.

Its spelled Hankwitz and no need to enlighten Purdue fans about his tendencies because he coached defense here for 4 years. I am not worried about scoring points thurs. I am concerned on getting yardage via run game, however. This will be a high scoring, fun game to watch.. QB's will "light it up"

And, just to put things in perspective, 230 of those yards came in the last 20 minutes of the game after the score was 20-0. Cats dropped into the dreaded prevent and gave QB time last part of game. Purdue receivers should be more effective early this year, which could help Boilers, but Cats pass rush should be pretty strong. BTN bus tour cast some doubts on Purdue O-line, while praising NU D-line. If issue is time to throw, Cats should be pretty tough. Boilers best hope may be using stronger receiver corps early on play action, pressuring NU’s relatively new safeties.
For what it's worth.....your coach is a class act and has done a good job getting the most out of his talent! Hell of a player in his day! All the bantering is in good fun...lets lace 'em up and play the game and see who has bragging rights when it's all over. Personally I wish we were playing EMU in the first game so we can shake a little rust off and see what we need to work on if any......

35 degrees warmer, everyone healthy for Purdue and minimal graduation losses back filled by some solid recruiting makes me believe that yard total could go north, but I guess we'll find out Thursday.

I'll take the total yards # of 438 over. Do you want the under 438??

Game is in Ross Ade in August not Ryan Field in November.

(I'm also taking Purdue to score more than 13, but maybe not with your vaunted front 7. I guess we'll see who wins the "unstoppable force versus immovable object" experiment on Thursday.)

Last edited:
Know how many players taking the field on Thursday know NU football as perennial losers?

Zero.
But how? As a P5 school your football and basketball teams combined have to be ranked dead last historically. It's nice you've modestly changed the narrative in football recently but going on other teams sites and puffing your chest is unbecoming.

Its spelled Hankwitz and no need to enlighten Purdue fans about his tendencies because he coached defense here for 4 years. I am not worried about scoring points thurs. I am concerned on getting yardage via run game, however. This will be a high scoring, fun game to watch.. QB's will "light it up"

Good, then you understand the point I was making. This will not be a high scoring game. I know you hope it will be, but it will not.

Good, then you understand the point I was making. This will not be a high scoring game. I know you hope it will be, but it will not.
Vegas has the O/U at 51h.......sounds about right.....will take a 27-24 final for the good guys...both teams will put up 400 yds plus....game will ...turn overs will tell the tale...

Trust at your peril. Purdue is just 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games vs NU. And it gets worse at home where the Boilers are just 1-4 ATS in its last 5 match ups with the Cats. That parallels NU's broader record ATS. 7-1 in its last 8 games (all wins by NU) and 4-1 ATS in its last 5 road games. So the odds makers are on a roll underestimating the Cats 80% or more of the time and overestimating the Boilers nearly as often. Which is of course largely dictated by the perceptions of the betting public, not any sort of objective relative strength analysis by the odds makers.

GOUNUII
Just remember Darrell Hazzell isnt the Purdue coach,anymore than Francis Peay is Northwesterns.

35 degrees warmer, everyone healthy for Purdue and minimal graduation losses back filled by some solid recruiting makes me believe that yard total could go north, but I guess we'll find out Thursday.

I'll take the total yards # of 438 over. Do you want the under 438??

Game is in Ross Ade in August not Ryan Field in November.

(I'm also taking Purdue to score more than 13, but maybe not with your vaunted front 7. I guess we'll see who wins the "unstoppable force versus immovable object" experiment on Thursday.)

I think both teams end up in mid 20’s if Thorson plays. If you are a Cat Fan, your purple glasses tilt to a 4 point win for the Cats. If you are a Boiler, my guess is you view the reverse.

One aspect I think has been overlooked a bit is how well will Purdue's young front seven be able to handle NU's experience at OL/SB. Last year, NU's OL stumbled out of the gate before hitting their stride. They're not great, but they've won eight games in a row now. Larkin is the kind of runner that can cut and find seams in a DL, much like JJackson did. Everybody points to Thorson and our passing game, but I'd be concerned about stopping NU's running game first.

This is going to be a barnburner of a game. I hope for a safe game.

Reactions: 8541Boiler
But how? As a P5 school your football and basketball teams combined have to be ranked dead last historically. It's nice you've modestly changed the narrative in football recently but going on other teams sites and puffing your chest is unbecoming.

“Recently?” We’re talking 20+ years.

Purdue by 14. Reading through these posts it sure seems like NW is taking us for granted, especially on defense and that will be their downfall.

Defense might even get a score out of this game. LETS PLAY FOOTBALL!!!

Just like zero players taking the field care about Purdue ATS when Darrell Hazell was coach. Right, GOUNUII?

you're wasting your time.

They're like the IU Romeo lovers (the "Juliets"). If you don't agree with them and bow to their greatness, they're going to troll you into submission. Both cults are quite insecure.

Our front seven is talented and deep. The starting front seven is the best in the Western Conference and in my opinion comparable to Michigan and OSU. There is no way you guys score 30-40 points on this defense and I believe you'll struggle to crack 20. You'll need to run the ball effectively and have good run/pass balance in order to keep our defense line honest. If you can do that and Thorson is rusty, your best shot is to win a 21-17 game. If you can't, I honestly don't see how Purdue wins this game. Of course, this assumes Thorson is healthy and plays.

Vegas sees it differently than you do....just saying.

Just like zero players taking the field care about Purdue ATS when Darrell Hazell was coach. Right, GOUNUII?

The ATS exchange was obviously above your pay grade. If you ever stumble across the main point of the exchange, let us know.

GOUNUII

you're wasting your time.

They're like the IU Romeo lovers (the "Juliets"). If you don't agree with them and bow to their greatness, they're going to troll you into submission. Both cults are quite insecure.

1-6 in the last 7. At risk of going to 1-7 and 0-2 in the Brohm era. And we're the insecure ones. You can really spin it 85'.

GOUNUII

I know this is earlier than normal.....but what the hell...... the next 6 days can't get here soon enough!!!! Since our defense will be a little green and our offense will have to carry us early.... I will say we win a tight one 31-30!!!!
Northwestern 43 Boilers 17

This staff and team is still very unproven.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT