ADVERTISEMENT

Overall Plus/Minus for each BIG Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have thin skin.

You posted something really dumb. You were called on it. Now you're "whatabouting".

This thread is about what you posted. Don't like it? too bad. It was dumb.
Morton will be about the same offensive player as Eastern. I know you guys don’t want that to happen, but it likely will. You clearly haven’t done much research on Morton if you disagree.

Morton will be about the same offensive player as Eastern. I know you guys don’t want that to happen, but it likely will. You clearly haven’t done much research on Morton if you disagree.

You haven't a clue what Morton will become. You so desperately want it to be so.

Morton has the skills to destroy IU for 4 years running the streak to .... *checks the record books* ... aw, hell, we've lost track.

Reactions: BBG
That’s funny, because I haven’t seen you jumping on other posters comparing Gillis to Vince or Ivey to Carsen. If you want to be an @ss, at least be consistent about it.

Morton is Eastern 2.0.

This is a crazy take and couldn't be more wrong......lol

Morton is supposed to be the best passer and facilitator ever recruited by CMP. That is high praise considering how good Mathias was. Eastern can't pass or dribble well. Additionally NE can't shoot FTs, is not a facilitator. Morton will not rebound and defend like NE. Not close to the same player.

This is a crazy take and couldn't be more wrong......lol

Morton is supposed to be the best passer and facilitator ever recruited by CMP. That is high praise considering how good Mathias was. Eastern can't pass or dribble well. Additionally NE can't shoot FTs, is not a facilitator. Morton will not rebound and defend like NE. Not close to the same player.
Nojel can’t pass or dribble Really lead team in assists never got the ball taken from him ever. He found open shooters and handled the ball very well as I recall but it’s a matter of opinion. Morton will be a very good player IMO but until he gets on campus on a college size court and play against more physical athletic players against HOF coaches with no summer workouts to get in shape it’s way to early to tell what any of those Freshman gonna so next season if their is a season. All those freshman will certainly be good players but w/o those summer conditioning weight training and other workouts that most certainly help them if that doesn’t happen assuming they all can get on campus by August all of them will be somewhat behind the returning players

You haven't a clue what Morton will become. You so desperately want it to be so.

Morton has the skills to destroy IU for 4 years running the streak to .... *checks the record books* ... aw, hell, we've lost track.
I’ve obviously know more about Morton as a player than you do right now. Morton’s far and away best skill is passing. Seems like it will be wasted in the motion offense. He isn’t a catch and shoot guy which are the types of wings/guards that thrive in Painter’s offense.

It’s blatantly obvious that Nojel does not fit Painters offensive system. The same will happen for Morton.

Wow, I feel like I was standing at a bar and a brawl breaks out right next to me. Maybe I’m just oblivious (which I’m told by my wife, frequently), but didn’t read any insult into this thread. sorry guys, but I missed it.

my take is that Nojel is a highly polished point guard that has held his spot on some pretty good teams. I think he won’t be giving it up anytime soon. Morton has some pretty good AAU highlights, but don’t we all? It is extremely rare that a freshman has much of an impact in the BIG, so I’m not holding my breath. I just hope Morton can fill in and get the experience he needs to lead the team after Nojel leaves.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I’ve obviously know more about Morton as a player than you do right now. Morton’s far and away best skill is passing. Seems like it will be wasted in the motion offense. He isn’t a catch and shoot guy which are the types of wings/guards that thrive in Painter’s offense.

It’s blatantly obvious that Nojel does not fit Painters offensive system. The same will happen for Morton.
Same old bullshitter. Different name. I just wish your Daddy had been a dedicated Trojan user.

Something is blatantly obvious but somehow you still don’t see it.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG

I actually agree with some of what u saying. Nojel needs spacing ball in hands to facilitate and able to get out in transition more to be effective offensively. The motion offense for nojel who thrive on facilitating to me does not work well for him with the lack of confidence and shooting that kinda offenses is to slow for him.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I actually agree with some of what u saying. Nojel needs spacing ball in hands to facilitate and able to get out in transition more to be effective offensively. The motion offense for nojel who thrive on facilitating to me does not work well for him with the lack of confidence and shooting that kinda offenses is to slow for him.
I hear you., but I see an issue. We want Purdue to win. The run & gun has a lot of unstructured fast break play. The problem with run & gun offenses is that they are usually beaten on the court by offenses with more structure. Any opponent that gets back on defense quickly will that away the offensive opportunities and force the half-court structured offense. I guarantee that every team in the BIG gets back on defense 95% of the plays.

The motion offense allows each player to have offensive opportunities as the defense shifts to try to cover the cutters. My very a mature perspective makes me think that Nojel should excel in the motion, which allows the players to improvise within the offensive structure. But what the heck, I really don’t know.

That was basically my point. Nojel and in my opinion, Morton would better thrive in an offense that allows the PG to be ball dominant. Steve Nash, Rondo, Chris Paul wouldn’t be nearly as effective in a motion type offense that took the ball out of their hands. They need the ball in their hands the majority of time to find and make the right play for their teammates.

That was basically my point. Nojel and in my opinion, Morton would better thrive in an offense that allows the PG to be ball dominant. Steve Nash, Rondo, Chris Paul wouldn’t be nearly as effective in a motion type offense that took the ball out of their hands. They need the ball in their hands the majority of time to find and make the right play for their teammates.
we'll know more in January

I hear you., but I see an issue. We want Purdue to win. The run & gun has a lot of unstructured fast break play. The problem with run & gun offenses is that they are usually beaten on the court by offenses with more structure. Any opponent that gets back on defense quickly will that away the offensive opportunities and force the half-court structured offense. I guarantee that every team in the BIG gets back on defense 95% of the plays.

The motion offense allows each player to have offensive opportunities as the defense shifts to try to cover the cutters. My very a mature perspective makes me think that Nojel should excel in the motion, which allows the players to improvise within the offensive structure. But what the heck, I really don’t know.
I’m not saying run and gun all the time I’m just saying my son can better serve more in the offense that is designed for him to facilitate with the ball in his hands more open space and the motion offense is mostly designed for those players who shoot it well at the 2/3 spots and it’s better designed for your bigs to be involved in games this year when nojel pushes the ball while defenses wasn’t set he thrives more bcuz in transition he’s so fast and big u cannot stop that and he was able to get easy basket with shooters running to be in position to catch and shoot. I’m only speaking of my son bcuz all in HS he was more of a playmaker facilitator and he was able to thrive better offensively and defensively when he was able to have the ball in his hands breaking down players off the dribble finding open shooters etc. I get ur points to but I’m telling u if my son had confidence more in his shot it could work if he gets that back maybe so. But all in all IMO Motion offense slows him down

For some players motion works well for them last years team it worked extremely well but for my son in HS this is exactly how he played he had the ball in his hand that allowed him to create offense for himself and his teammates with his speed and size it opened up shots for his shooters and he got put in transition and still able to score pass find open shooters rebound etc.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
You clearly don't know a whole lot about Pudue's motion offense.

Only thing blatantly obvious is you don't know what you're talking about. I mean not even close.

You clearly don't know a whole lot about Pudue's motion offense.
So are you saying that one of your player’s parents also doesn’t know a lot about Purdue’s motion offense? She agreed with me about it not being a fit for player like Nojel (and Morton).

Can you name a guard or wing that thrived offensively in Painter’s system that wasn’t a good shooter from outside?

Can you name a player known for facilitating that thrived in Painter’s offense?

What’s the highest amount of assists a player has averaged for a season under Matt Painter? My guess is that it’s less than 5 apg.

Yep. Best just to report him, put on ignore and instantly raise your IQ 50 points by not having to read his posts.

Man ..... some people need to get out of this lockdown.
It seems anymore that when I'm annoyed to the point of putting someone on ignore I look at their history and they usually have reached that level in less than 30 posts. I'd be willing to bet several on my ignore list are same guy/different name.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
It seems anymore that when I'm annoyed to the point of putting someone on ignore I look at their history and they usually have reached that level in less than 30 posts. I'd be willing to bet several on my ignore list are same guy/different name.
Same here. I tolerate people as best I can ..... hell I still think in person lenniel would be fun to hang out with......but with how the rivals software works, it's entirely too easy for people to make up names and keep coming back unfortunately.

The mods do a good job of cleaning up the board, but they need some upgraded forum software to say the least.

we'll know more in January
I personally think Morton Ivey and the big fella will be welcomed additions to the team all 3 have specific things they all do well that will surely help the team win games this upcoming season. I watched highlights of each of these players their good and most certainly be able to maximize each individual skill sets in the offense. Defensively is were each has to be able to do both when on the court and it’s a complex defense they all gonna have to pickup quickly especially if there is no summer workouts. All got good size for whatever position they play especially Morton and Ivey both different but I can see thriving in the offense. I’m only adding my son in the equation bcuz nojel is big fast athletic and not a good shooter but definitely if that confidence comes back than it’s possible he could do well in the offense. This time off has been a blessing for my son bcuz he has really clamped down working out rigorously hard on everything he can work on specially finding his stroke back. Back to the basics and I see it’s working that in time gets those muscle memory back and in time the confidence comes with it. He not taking days off he grinding and committed to getting his his shot right but he 1st had to get that his mental right than work on everything else. He’s now able to open up talk have fun relaxing and just being himself and it’s working. He needed to heal he has in time it will show on the court.

Reactions: mathboy

"Obviously".

You're a legend in your own mind.

Time for another login ID.

Reactions: Level 42
So are you saying that one of your player’s parents also doesn’t know a lot about Purdue’s motion offense? She agreed with me about it not being a fit for player like Nojel (and Morton).

Can you name a guard or wing that thrived offensively in Painter’s system that wasn’t a good shooter from outside?
- Define “thrived”. Does that mean they scored frequently? Doesn’t that mean a good shooter? I struggle to understand what you are talking about here.

Can you name a player known for facilitating that thrived in Painter’s offense?
- How about LewJack, or Thompson? Maybe Kramer, or John O? Do you even recognize these names? Throughout the years, Painter’s teams have thrived on having a glue guy that facilitates. Watch a replay or two, pick any year, and you might learn something about basketball.

What’s the highest amount of assists a player has averaged for a season under Matt Painter? My guess is that it’s less than 5 apg.
- Painter’s offense has often been ranked in the top ten nationally for efficiency. Very often you will see stats like 23 out of 27 baskets had assists. The assists get spread around, making Purdue very hard to defend. It seems you have trouble understanding the game once it gets beyond the grade school level where everyone has a spot and one kid handles the ball.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
Thrived- scored a lot of points, or gotten a high number of assists per game. Has Painter ever had a PG make a an All Big Ten team? And no the Defensive team is not what I’m talking about.

Jackson is the closest thing you have to a PG that thrived under Painter. Even then his best season was only 10 pts and 4 Assists a game.

PJ Thompson, Kramer, and Octeous are all laughable to mention. None of them averaged double digits or even had 3 assists per game. That’s hardly thriving in an offense. They all had very pedestrian numbers.

Your last point is exactly the point I was making. Guys like Nojel and Morton don’t fit into an offense where they can’t be ball dominant. Painter’s teams overall get a high number of assists if there is a scorer at every position, or if there are one or two guys they can ride. Painter’s teams struggle when He has neither of those things. You can look to last year and the mid 2010s for teams that fit that example.

Thrived- scored a lot of points, or gotten a high number of assists per game. Has Painter ever had a PG make a an All Big Ten team? And no the Defensive team is not what I’m talking about.

Jackson is the closest thing you have to a PG that thrived under Painter. Even then his best season was only 10 pts and 4 Assists a game.

PJ Thompson, Kramer, and Octeous are all laughable to mention. None of them averaged double digits or even had 3 assists per game. That’s hardly thriving in an offense. They all had very pedestrian numbers.

Your last point is exactly the point I was making. Guys like Nojel and Morton don’t fit into an offense where they can’t be ball dominant. Painter’s teams overall get a high number of assists if there is a scorer at every position, or if there are one or two guys they can ride. Painter’s teams struggle when He has neither of those things. You can look to last year and the mid 2010s for teams that fit that example.

Mathias thrived in Purdue’s offense and I think I’ve seen most Purdue fans compare Morton to Mathias, not Eastern.

I’m still trying to figure out your point. Do you mean a successful pg is one that scores more than 10 points a game? ...or does he have to average more than 4 assists per game? Maybe that’s it? It’s just not clear to me what your measure is. I think you are thinking about high school teams where the one good player on the team is ball dominant. College ball doesn’t work that way, at least not for winning teams.

For me, a successful pg facilitates the team and helps them win. It’s that simple. Good point guards lead the team to wins. He sets up the offense, keeps turn overs low, and can defend. Most of the guys I mentioned in the previous post were on at least one sweet sixteen team. To me, success is written by the records, and not by individual statistics.

Mathias thrived in Purdue’s offense and I think I’ve seen most Purdue fans compare Morton to Mathias, not Eastern.
Mathias is a wing/guard that can shoot very well from deep. The exact type of guard that thrives in Painter’s system.

Purdue fans naturally hope Morton has more Mathias in him than Eastern, however Morton’s 3pt shooting is far closer to Eastern than Mathias at this point. The numbers back that statement up. He shot around 7% from 3 during AAU last year, and around 20% the year before. All on low volume that is.

I’m still trying to figure out your point. Do you mean a successful pg is one that scores more than 10 points a game? ...or does he have to average more than 4 assists per game? Maybe that’s it? It’s just not clear to me what your measure is. I think you are thinking about high school teams where the one good player on the team is ball dominant. College ball doesn’t work that way, at least not for winning teams.

For me, a successful pg facilitates the team and helps them win. It’s that simple. Good point guards lead the team to wins. He sets up the offense, keeps turn overs low, and can defend. Most of the guys I mentioned in the previous post were on at least one sweet sixteen team. To me, success is written by the records, and not by individual statistics.
Both scoring and assists go into having a successful PG. Maybe it would be easier to say what you expect of Morton next year? I expect him to be around 3 ppg and around 1.5 assists.

By the time he is a Senior I think he can be a 8 pt and 3 ast guy. Who knows, he may be better than that by the time he’s a Senior. He could be worse too.

You state that successful college teams don’t have ball dominant PGs.... that’s an absolutely insane comment. Have you ever heard of Cassius Winston or Zavier Simpson? Winston 18.5 pts and 6 asts. Simpson 13 pts and 8 asts. As a Junior Winston took his team to the Final 4 averaging 19 pts and 7.5 assists per game. Tre Jones and Ashton Hagans each averaged over 6 assists a game for Duke and UK this year.

That statement really shows how little you know about basketball. Was Purdue a successful team last year? Did their offense revolve around 1 player? What about Markus Howard at Marquette? Did the offense revolve around him?

That statement really shows how little you know about basketball. Was Purdue a successful team last year? Did their offense revolve around 1 player?
Carsen Edwards says hello. The only one in this thread that doesn't know what they are talking about, is you.

Not directed at me but answering because you're a tool. But Carsen Edwards thrived. E'twaun Moore also did well as our literal PG.

Morton is going to excel in Purdue's system whether you like it or not. And it's exceptionally clear you are pretty clueless about how basketball and in particular Purdue basketball works.

Now it's time to run back under whatever hole you crawled out of, you have been bested. Either way I am done with your unfounded nonsense.

Last edited:
Mathias is a wing/guard that can shoot very well from deep. The exact type of guard that thrives in Painter’s system.

Purdue fans naturally hope Morton has more Mathias in him than Eastern, however Morton’s 3pt shooting is far closer to Eastern than Mathias at this point. The numbers back that statement up. He shot around 7% from 3 during AAU last year, and around 20% the year before. All on low volume that is.

How can you say that when he hasn't played a minute of college basketball? He shot over 35% from 3 the last two years of high school basketball on a much high volume of attempts. He's much more skilled offensively than Nojel and aligns more with Mathias (in my opinion) than Eastern. He might not shoot in the high 40's like Mathias did, but he's also a lot more athletic than Mathias.

How can you say that when he hasn't played a minute of college basketball? He shot over 35% from 3 the last two years of high school basketball on a much high volume of attempts. He's much more skilled offensively than Nojel and aligns more with Mathias (in my opinion) than Eastern. He might not shoot in the high 40's like Mathias did, but he's also a lot more athletic than Mathias.
He says that because he isn't interested in anything factual and just wants to spew nonsense to try and downplay a recruit of ours.

Reactions: Purdue85
Carsen Edwards says hello. The only one in this thread that doesn't know what they are talking about, is you.
Did you even read the post you are responding to here? I’m using last year’s Purdue team as an example of a team that had success when the offense revolves around one person. @mathboy said no college teams can be successful with an offense that revolves around 1 person, so I gave him many examples from the last year alone.
Not directed at me but answering because you're a tool. But Carsen Edwards thrived. E'twaun Moore also did well as our literal PG.

Morton is going to excel in Purdue's system whether you like it or not. And it's exceptionally clear you are pretty clueless about how basketball and in particular Purdue basketball works.

Now it's time to run back under whatever hole you crawled out of, you have been bested. Either way I am done with your unfounded nonsense.
Carsen and Moore were wings, not PGs. Again, you failed to read the post you responded to, because I asked for a guard/wing that thrived offensively in Painter’s system that also wasn’t a good shooter from outside. Both Carsen and Moore were GREAT shooters from outside.

Offensively Morton and Eastern are very similar players whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Post the link to the stats that show Morton shot 35% from 3 his last two years on a high number of attempts. I’ll wait.

Post the link to the stats that show Morton shot 35% from 3 his last two years on a high number of attempts. I’ll wait.

Junior year (not sure if you subscribe to the athletic or not)
https://theathletic.com/970472/2019/05/09/in-ethan-morton-purdue-gets-a-6-6-guard-who-can-do-it-all/

Article states he shot just a tick below 40% from 3 as a junior

Senior year
Cannot find link to stats but have read on various national boards that he was shooting ~35% before the season was abruptly ended.

He's nowhere near as bad of a shooter you make him out to be and has plenty of offensive skill to offset.

Junior year (not sure if you subscribe to the athletic or not)
https://theathletic.com/970472/2019/05/09/in-ethan-morton-purdue-gets-a-6-6-guard-who-can-do-it-all/

Article states he shot just a tick below 40% from 3 as a junior

Senior year
Cannot find link to stats but have read on various national boards that he was shooting ~35% before the season was abruptly ended.

He's nowhere near as bad of a shooter you make him out to be and has plenty of offensive skill to offset.
You stated he shot great than 35% on a high volume. High volume is the key to that statement. Nojel Eastern shot 33% from 3 as a freshman. Is Nojel Eastern a 33% shooter? No, he only took 9 3s.

The only available stats for Ethan Morton that show volume are his AAU stats.

Junior (16 games): 10-33 (30%)
Senior (10 games): 1-15 (7%)

Total (26 games): 11-48 (23%)

aaustats.com

Keep in mind, these shooting numbers are at the high school line (19.75 feet). In college that line jumps back to 22.1 feet.

You stated he shot great than 35% on a high volume. High volume is the key to that statement. Nojel Eastern shot 33% from 3 as a freshman. Is Nojel Eastern a 33% shooter? No, he only took 9 3s.

The only available stats for Ethan Morton that show volume are his AAU stats.

Junior (16 games): 10-33 (30%)
Senior (10 games): 1-15 (7%)

Total (26 games): 11-48 (23%)

aaustats.com

Keep in mind, these shooting numbers are at the high school line (19.75 feet). In college that line jumps back to 22.1 feet.

Do the math son. You don't average 24 points a game shooting a low number of shots. 26 games over the course of 2 AAU seasons is a much smaller sample size than that of 2 high school seasons encompassing more than 40 games.

Do the math son. You don't average 24 points a game shooting a low number of shots. 26 games over the course of 2 AAU seasons is a much smaller sample size than that of 2 high school seasons encompassing more than 40 games.
Do you realize you can score 24 points a game without taking many or any 3pt shots? You have stated Morton was a better shooter than I was giving him credit for and that he shot greater than 35% FROM 3pt on a high number of attempts. You haven’t provided anything to back that up other than one article stating he shot just below 40% as a Junior (with no volume data), and claim you have seen posters on a national forum say he shot greater than 35% from 3 as a Senior (LOL!).

I provided real data with actual volume numbers. Until you do that, you can’t claim I’m wrong.

Do you realize you can score 24 points a game without taking many or any 3pt shots? You have stated Morton was a better shooter than I was giving him credit for and that he shot greater than 35% FROM 3pt on a high number of attempts. You haven’t provided anything to back that up other than one article stating he shot just below 40% as a Junior (with no volume data), and claim you have seen posters on a national forum say he shot greater than 35% from 3 as a Senior (LOL!).

I provided real data with actual volume numbers. Until you do that, you can’t claim I’m wrong.

He hasn't played a single college game yet and are already claiming that his offensive output is going to be similar to Nojel's? How does that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT