ADVERTISEMENT

Overall Plus/Minus for each BIG Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
Seems like I recall one of us does a pocket analysis of what each team in the BIG loses and gains along their roster from last year to this coming year. Is that right or am I imagining that? (Don’t make fun of me. It’s been a long quarantine!).

:cool:

Seems like I recall one of us does a pocket analysis of what each team in the BIG loses and gains along their roster from last year to this coming year. Is that right or am I imagining that? (Don’t make fun of me. It’s been a long quarantine!).

Someone did a truly good job with that on one of my threads ... I think it was the one on who in the B1G was probably getting drafted and who was left ... but I have drank since then.

Reactions: mathboy
I can help you out with Minnesota. :)

Lose

Daniel Oturu
Michael Hurt
Alihan Demir
Payton Willis

ADD

C- Liam Robbins- Drake Transfer (Averaged 14ppg, 7rpg, 2.9bpg)
PF- Brandon Johnson- W Michigan Transfer (Averaged 15.4ppg, 8.1rpg)
G- Drew Peterson- Rice Transfer (Averaged 11.1ppg, 6.5rpg, 3.5apg)
G- Jamal Mashburn Jr.- #89 on 247 composite
F/C- Martice Mitchell- #138 on 247 composite

I think until the NBA draft leaving/coming back is truly decided, it's hard to really take a good look.

Reactions: mathboy

For IU...

Lose:
Devonte Green
Deron Davis
Damezi Anderson

Add:
Kristian Lander (Likely) -PG - #9 overall in 2021
Jordan Geronimo - SF - 4*
Anthony Leal - SG - 4*
Trey Galloway - SG - 4*

My Projected Lineup:
Phinisee/Lander
Durham/Franklin/Galloway
Hunter/Geronimo/Leal
Smith/Thompson
TJD/Brunk

For IU...

Lose:
Devonte Green
Deron Davis
Damezi Anderson

Add:
Kristian Lander (Likely) -PG - #9 overall in 2021
Jordan Geronimo - SF - 4*
Anthony Leal - SG - 4*
Trey Galloway - SG - 4*

My Projected Lineup:
Phinisee/Lander
Durham/Franklin/Galloway
Hunter/Geronimo/Leal
Smith/Thompson
TJD/Brunk
Thanks. I see improvement inherent in these changes, but IU might be very young on the court next year. By the way, I thought Galloway was a 3 star?

I can help you out with Minnesota. :)

Lose

Daniel Oturu
Michael Hurt
Alihan Demir
Payton Willis

ADD

C- Liam Robbins- Drake Transfer (Averaged 14ppg, 7rpg, 2.9bpg)
PF- Brandon Johnson- W Michigan Transfer (Averaged 15.4ppg, 8.1rpg)
G- Drew Peterson- Rice Transfer (Averaged 11.1ppg, 6.5rpg, 3.5apg)
G- Jamal Mashburn Jr.- #89 on 247 composite
F/C- Martice Mitchell- #138 on 247 composite
Thanks. Losing Oturu will hurt. Without the transfers, Minnesota’s front line looks weak. I don’t know if I would trust transfers to hold up that much of the work load. Transfers have worked for Purdue, but usually to supplement existing players.

Thanks. I see improvement inherent in these changes, but IU might be very young on the court next year. By the way, I thought Galloway was a 3 star?
Lander is likely the only freshman that will get a lot of minutes. The other 3 will be less than 10 mpg or redshirt at least in my opinion. Starting two Seniors, a Junior, a RS Sophomore, and a sophomore Isn’t that young of a lineup. The sophomore will also be our best player and likely compete for POY in the conference.

Galloway is listed as a 4* by 247 and ESPN. Rivals has him as a 3*.

Re the Barttorvik prediction: Interesting! Wisconsin is 3rd? IU is ranked 17th. Kentucky is 52nd. Seems likely to me.

Nothing is more fun than all the off season victories that seem to stack up for our friends down south. This sets expectations a little too high in my estimation.

I think we are 38th.

Morton average almost nine assists in high school. He averaged over 2 steals.

How many minutes are you guys expecting Morton to play? Don’t you have like 7 guards on your roster? 1.1 assists is not out of the realm of possibility. Especially in a Matt Painter motion offense.

Haarms predicted to score 11 points a game at BYU from that link. Not much difference in a weaker conference.

Re the Barttorvik prediction: Interesting! Wisconsin is 3rd? IU is ranked 17th. Kentucky is 52nd. Seems likely to me.

Nothing is more fun than all the off season victories that seem to stack up for our friends down south. This sets expectations a little too high in my estimation.

I think we are 38th.

Torvik is always bullish on experienced teams. He also undervalues true freshman to a degree.

Texas returns every single player on their team + adds a top 10 big so not shocked he has them #1. Wisconsin is set to start 5 seniors next year. Purdue at 38 once again speaks to how strong the B10 should be next year.

How many minutes are you guys expecting Morton to play? Don’t you have like 7 guards on your roster? 1.1 assists is not out of the realm of possibility. Especially in a Matt Painter motion offense.

He'll play as much as he earns.

You're correct in pointing out depth at guard.

Defense is going to be key. If he can play B1G level defense, he plays a lot (for a FR). If not, he'll play here and there.

The only exception to that would be if he was "lights out" as a shooter, and that's not what people expect, but, who knows...

He'll play as much as he earns.

You're correct in pointing out depth at guard.

Defense is going to be key. If he can play B1G level defense, he plays a lot (for a FR). If not, he'll play here and there.

The only exception to that would be if he was "lights out" as a shooter, and that's not what people expect, but, who knows...
I remember from when IU was recruiting him that shooting was one of his weaknesses.

Based on his skill set and your depth, I would guess he gets around 15-20 mpg.

I remember from when IU was recruiting him that shooting was one of his weaknesses.

Based on his skill set and your depth, I would guess he gets around 15-20 mpg.

not picking at your words, but shooting wasn't listed as a strength, for sure. But, watching video and many of the comments about him, it shouldn't be expected to be a "weakness", either.

In other words, in many different sources he's been described as being extraordinarily versatile (multiple "positions"), and a scorer. The big question is how his scoring game translates from HS to high-major competition. That's the wildcard, but shooting certainly shouldn't be dismissed as a weakness.

not picking at your words, but shooting wasn't listed as a strength, for sure. But, watching video and many of the comments about him, it shouldn't be expected to be a "weakness", either.

In other words, in many different sources he's been described as being extraordinarily versatile (multiple "positions"), and a scorer. The big question is how his scoring game translates from HS to high-major competition. That's the wildcard, but shooting certainly shouldn't be dismissed as a weakness.
By shooting I meant 3pt shooting. He’s a pretty good FT shooter.

As for how his scoring will translate from High School to college, I would expect his numbers next year to be similar to his AAU numbers. I think he expands on that as he continues his career, but I doubt he’s ever a top 2 scorer on your team.

Reactions: Purdue85
By shooting I meant 3pt shooting. He’s a pretty good FT shooter.

As for how his scoring will translate from High School to college, I would expect his numbers next year to be similar to his AAU numbers. I think he expands on that as he continues his career, but I doubt he’s ever a top 2 scorer on your team.

I would (mostly) agree with that.

He'll be a PG (if we're allowed to say that). He's going to shoot like a classic(?) PG. He'll hit some, but I doubt he'll ever be the "go-to" to sink the shot putting us in the FF. ;)

Again, not to pick at your words, that doesn't translate to being a "weakness". I expect he'll have 3pt shooters around him, which will create more (better) looks for him.

He'll be a PG (if we're allowed to say that). He's going to shoot like a classic(?) PG. He'll hit some, but I doubt he'll ever be the "go-to" to sink the shot putting us in the FF. ;)

Again, not to pick at your words, that doesn't translate to being a "weakness". I expect he'll have 3pt shooters around him, which will create more (better) looks for him.

I've heard he is an elite passer. Is he more a methodical or dynamic PG? Can he break down opposing defenders and get to the rim? Looks to have really good size for a freshman.

I mean Nojel Eastern is a “PG”, and 3pt shooting is definitely a weakness in his game. Morton is thought to have the same weakness. If teams don’t have to guard either player at the 3pt line, that allows teams to pack the paint.

Now Morton May come in and shoot 40% from 3 on a large number. We don’t know. We can only guess based on the available information.

I mean Nojel Eastern is a “PG”, and 3pt shooting is definitely a weakness in his game. Morton is thought to have the same weakness. If teams don’t have to guard either player at the 3pt line, that allows teams to pack the paint.

Now Morton May come in and shoot 40% from 3 on a large number. We don’t know. We can only guess based on the available information.

Yeah.... unfortunately, I had this strong suspicion Nojel was going to be brought into this thread. Not sure why that was necessary, but not surprising. Morton is his own player, as is Nojel. In no way are the two comparable.

Nowhere have I seen a suggestion Morton would shoot "40% from 3 on a large number". No, we don't know. I've already indicated as much. Yes, we can only guess. I've already indicated as much.

Morton will be who he will be. He might even be the type of player IU fans don't want to admit he could be.... :cool:

Reactions: mathboy and TX4GB
Yeah.... unfortunately, I had this strong suspicion Nojel was going to be brought into this thread. Not sure why that was necessary, but not surprising. Morton is his own player, as is Nojel. In no way are the two comparable.

Nowhere have I seen a suggestion Morton would shoot "40% from 3 on a large number". No, we don't know. I've already indicated as much. Yes, we can only guess. I've already indicated as much.

Morton will be who he will be. He might even be the type of player IU fans don't want to admit he could be.... :cool:
It’s hard to say they aren’t somewhat comparable on the offensive end. At least with what we know of each.

From an IU fan’s perspective, I’m much more concerned with Ivey than I am Morton. Obviously that could be wrong, but that’s my opinion.

It’s hard to say they aren’t somewhat comparable on the offensive end. At least with what we know of each.

From an IU fan’s perspective, I’m much more concerned with Ivey than I am Morton. Obviously that could be wrong, but that’s my opinion.

Well, no, it's hard to say they are somewhat comparable, when one hasn't played a minute of college ball.

You should be concerned about Ivey, but I wasn't making comparisons between the incoming freshmen. It was a pretty straightforward statement: "Morton will be who he will be. He might even be the type of player IU fans don't want to admit he could be.... :cool:"

Well, no, it's hard to say they are somewhat comparable, when one hasn't played a minute of college ball.

You should be concerned about Ivey, but I wasn't making comparisons between the incoming freshmen. It was a pretty straightforward statement: "Morton will be who he will be. He might even be the type of player IU fans don't want to admit he could be.... :cool:"
You have people on here comparing Gillis to Vince Edwards, Ivey to Carsen Edwards, and even Purdue fans comparing Morton and Eastern, so my comparison is not out there. Morton and Eastern are a lot closer comparison than Nojel and Rodman.

I’m not concerned with any of your players as freshman. Ivey should be really good down the line.

You have people on here comparing Gillis to Vince Edwards, Ivey to Carsen Edwards, and even Purdue fans comparing Morton and Eastern, so my comparison is not out there. Morton and Eastern are a lot closer comparison than Nojel and Rodman.

I’m not concerned with any of your players as freshman. Ivey should be really good down the line.

I don't care what people on here are comparing. And, yes, your comparison is "out there."

I don't care if you're concerned with any players, but you are the one who wrote, "I’m much more concerned with Ivey than I am Morton."

Hells bells, you're only 8 days into this screen name and already you've given yourself away.

I don't care what people on here are comparing. And, yes, your comparison is "out there."

I don't care if you're concerned with any players, but you are the one who wrote, "I’m much more concerned with Ivey than I am Morton."

Hells bells, you're only 8 days into this screen name and already you've given yourself away.
I’ve given myself away as what? An IU fan? I thought that was obvious when I said I was an IU fan...

Your opinion that my comparison is out there is noted. What I see are two bigger guards that both envision themselves as PGs. Both are good rebounders for their positions. Neither will be taking on a big scoring load, and neither are going to beat you from deep.

Morton is a better FT shooter and Eastern is a better defender. Other than that, they are very similar players.

Other than that, they are very similar players.

Not sure I agree with that. Morton appears to be a much better ballhandler and facilitator while Eastern is a lot more athletic, stronger, and a much better defender. I think the only comparison is that they're taller PG's who aren't great 3 point shooters. But I outside that they look like completely different players.

I’ve given myself away as what? An IU fan? I thought that was obvious when I said I was an IU fan...

Your opinion that my comparison is out there is noted. What I see are two bigger guards that both envision themselves as PGs. Both are good rebounders for their positions. Neither will be taking on a big scoring load, and neither are going to beat you from deep.

Morton is a better FT shooter and Eastern is a better defender. Other than that, they are very similar players.

Same M.O., different screen name / login ID.

I haven't stated an opinion. There are no similarities. Yet. That's just a fact.

Again .... for you ... Morton hasn't played a single minute of D1 CBB, so there is no comparison. He'll need to establish his play in college before there's a comparison to be made, in spite of your desperation to do so.

Reactions: Inspector100
Same M.O., different screen name / login ID.

I haven't stated an opinion. There are no similarities. Yet. That's just a fact.

Again .... for you ... Morton hasn't played a single minute of D1 CBB, so there is no comparison. He'll need to establish his play in college before there's a comparison to be made, in spite of your desperation to do so.
That’s funny, because I haven’t seen you jumping on other posters comparing Gillis to Vince or Ivey to Carsen. If you want to be an @ss, at least be consistent about it.

Morton is Eastern 2.0.

That’s funny, because I haven’t seen you jumping on other posters comparing Gillis to Vince or Ivey to Carsen. If you want to be an @ss, at least be consistent about it.

Morton is Eastern 2.0.

I'm not "jumping" on any posters. You made a dumb comment, just like you've done under all your other login IDs. Stop running from your dumb posts. Don't be an @ss, you won't get called on being an @ss.

Morton has played zero CBB minutes. To compare him to someone just to fit your agenda is dumb.

I've heard he is an elite passer. Is he more a methodical or dynamic PG? Can he break down opposing defenders and get to the rim? Looks to have really good size for a freshman.

Here is an example of his passing in the 1/2 court against the best high school competition in the country. This is an Evan Mobley highlight clip. Look who gets the assists in every one. I don't know if Morton will be a PG, but he will make others better.

Last edited:
I'm not "jumping" on any posters. You made a dumb comment, just like you've done under all your other login IDs. Stop running from your dumb posts. Don't be an @ss, you won't get called on being an @ss.

Morton has played zero CBB minutes. To compare him to someone just to fit your agenda is dumb.
Lol I know you aren’t jumping on other posters, because you only jump on those that portray Purdue players in a poor light. Clearly you think comparing Morton to Eastern is degrading Morton. Yikes! Do you really think that poorly of Eastern?

Lol I know you aren’t jumping on other posters, because you only jump on those that portray Purdue players in a poor light. Clearly you think comparing Morton to Eastern is degrading Morton. Yikes! Do you really think that poorly of Eastern?

LOL

I wrote that I wasn't jumping on ANY posters, not OTHER posters, because there's nothing to jump on. Ease up and get some thicker skin.

You posted something dumb. Got called on it. Won't give it up.

Now you've posted another really dumb statement: "Clearly you think comparing Morton to Eastern is degrading Morton. Yikes!"

I love Eastern's play. Like all of us, he has some strengths and some weaknesses.

They just aren't comparable ... because Morton hasn't played a minute of CBB. You're having too much difficulty with that.

Ease up.

LOL

I wrote that I wasn't jumping on ANY posters, not OTHER posters, because there's nothing to jump on. Ease up and get some thicker skin.

You posted something dumb. Got called on it. Won't give it up.

Now you've posted another really dumb statement: "Clearly you think comparing Morton to Eastern is degrading Morton. Yikes!"

I love Eastern's play. Like all of us, he has some strengths and some weaknesses.

They just aren't comparable ... because Morton hasn't played a minute of CBB. You're having too much difficulty with that.

Ease up.
Using your dumb logic, posters shouldn’t be comparing Gillis to Vince or Ivey to Carsen either. Call them on it. Be consistent.

Here is an example of his passing in the 1/2 court against the best high school competition in the country. This is an Evan Mobley highlight clip. Look who gets the assists in every one. I don't know if Morton will be a PG, but he will make others better.

this is the hard-to-quantify aspect to this argumentative thread. I think, without making a lot of stats, Morton will win a LOT of games for us. Others will get the credit for the final shot or the "whatever." ... but Morton will make sure we are always in a position to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT