ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ryan Gosling is gonna play Neil Armstrong...

I don't find it hard to understand that this movie for some is viewed patriotic and unpatriotic for others. What does baffle me is why seeing the movie in your eyes and a couple of others is necessary to form a judgement on the planting of the flag? My conclusion, perhaps in error...is that you never actually lived the experience and therefore don't share the same understandings as the others obviously old enough to have lived it first hand. Age doesn't make you wrong, but it might answer what appears to be a line of demarcation. Does that seem reasonable or did you really watch it live as well as the lead up to it?
I am old enough to remember it, but, I don’t watch Fox News. Perhaps that is the difference here. Remember, you haven’t seen the movie, so you really don’t know what is in it or not in it. Most of us, at least I hope, like to make judgements on experiencing for ourselves and not just being told how to feel. You know, kind of like what you are claiming the movie makers are doing.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Who knows? An obvious question would be does showing it change the intent of the movie and so why leave out this iconic moment? Relative to history, most only believe that four people are lifting the "second" flag in that Iwo Jima iconic moment instead of six. ;) I think nothing less of those that disagree with my views and have laid out why I hold my view. Different regions of this country at different timelines have through "education" been subjected or some would say indoctrinated by education...not with bad intent necessarily...but programmed in certain ways of thought. I find the "reasons" behind the thoughts as interesting as the thoughts in many cases. Again, hopefully a few different perspectives have been gathered. ;)

I am old enough to remember it, but, I don’t watch Fox News. Perhaps that is the difference here. Remember, you haven’t seen the movie, so you really don’t know what is in it or not in it. Most of us, at least I hope, like to make judgements on experiencing for ourselves and not just being told how to feel. You know, kind of like what you are claiming the movie makers are doing.

No you completely missed what I said. Similar to the race card..you attempt to play the "Fox" card. The rummy quote was referenced as an explanation and if you are unaware of the quote...search it to find understanding of what I said. I listed a whole lot of reasons to support what I stated. You played the fox card and didn't understand the rummy quote. Do you wish to disagree with the truths of the times I stated that form the basis of my thoughts or would you prefer to just state an opinion as though it was formed through Osmosis? I think I have been rather clear in "HOW" I believe it was a huge moment missed. Let me help a bit relative to needing to see the movie and not being tuned into the country during the time...

No you completely missed what I said. Similar to the race card..you attempt to play the "Fox" card. The rummy quote was referenced as an explanation and if you are unaware of the quote...search it to find understanding of what I said. I listed a whole lot of reasons to support what I stated. You played the fox card and didn't understand the rummy quote. Do you wish to disagree with the truths of the times I stated that form the basis of my thoughts or would you prefer to just state an opinion as though it was formed through Osmosis? I think I have been rather clear in "HOW" I believe it was a huge moment missed. Let me help a bit relative to needing to see the movie and not being tuned into the country during the time...
Yes, you have been all over the place trying connect the dots between numerous things and the flag scene you feel should be in the movie. That’s what is confusing. It has nothing to do with the Soviet Union and as was explained by those who made the movie, everything to do with uniting the world.
I’m sorry you feel world unity is unpatriotic, but it isn’t.

Yes, you have been all over the place trying connect the dots between numerous things and the flag scene you feel should be in the movie. That’s what is confusing. It has nothing to do with the Soviet Union and as was explained by those who made the movie, everything to do with uniting the world.
I’m sorry you feel world unity is unpatriotic, but it isn’t.
more red herrings. I listed why in the 60s things happened...the mood of the times. Do you REALLY wish to disagree with the sentiments at those times? I'm right and if you are as old as you claim you know it. It WAS the USSR and the USA. Why do you feel the need to castigate me in a way rather than attempt to convince us that all the media, news that I described was make believe. Why do you try to divert with Fox..and then jump to world unity when it was the USSR and the USA that had the race and were in competition? Are you sure it isn't because I'm a white man? I mean you haven't diverted with the race card ...yet. I mean if you see the circle around my picture it is pretty easy to see it is a "white supremacist" signal!

Quit trying to plant red herrings to divert and straw men to tear down. If you disagree that is fine, but you offer NO substantive comments in opposition to the mood of the country I supplied. It is fine if you disagree, but leave it at that rather than to depict me in the manner you wish, absent any meaningful discourse.

more red herrings. I listed why in the 60s things happened...the mood of the times. Do you REALLY wish to disagree with the sentiments at those times? I'm right and if you are as old as you claim you know it. It WAS the USSR and the USA. Why do you feel the need to castigate me in a way rather than attempt to convince us that all the media, news that I described was make believe. Why do you try to divert with Fox..and then jump to world unity when it was the USSR and the USA that had the race and were in competition? Are you sure it isn't because I'm a white man? I mean you haven't diverted with the race card ...yet. I mean if you see the circle around my picture it is pretty easy to see it is a "white supremacist" signal!

Quit trying to plant red herrings to divert and straw men to tear down. If you disagree that is fine, but you offer NO substantive comments in opposition to the mood of the country I supplied. It is fine if you disagree, but leave it at that rather than to depict me in the manner you wish, absent any meaningful discourse.
Tom, I really don’t care to debate this with you. It’s not a big deal. You keep claiming people don’t see what you see due to ignorance and then trying to connect other events to this movie. I am not using red herrings or whatever it is your attempting to say. My point is simple. You haven’t seen the movie, therefore your anger is based on what you have been told instead of what you know. It’s silly and sadly enough a perfect example of what is happening in our country right now.

You are making this into something it isn’t, or at least attempting to. Others have already shared the same sentiments, yet, here you are claiming I am ignorant and if I just knew what you knew and felt what you felt, then I would understand. That’s dumb.

Tom, I really don’t care to debate this with you. It’s not a big deal. You keep claiming people don’t see what you see due to ignorance and then trying to connect other events to this movie. I am not using red herrings or whatever it is your attempting to say. My point is simple. You haven’t seen the movie, therefore your anger is based on what you have been told instead of what you know. It’s silly and sadly enough a perfect example of what is happening in our country right now.

You are making this into something it isn’t, or at least attempting to. Others have already shared the same sentiments, yet, here you are claiming I am ignorant and if I just knew what you knew and felt what you felt, then I would understand. That’s dumb.
Actually I don't see much debate. I do see various opinions and can't recall a time I showed any anger. I listed the mood of the country due to specifics that pointed to why the flag planting was important for that flight. It was an outright competition between the USSR and the USA and find it hard to believe that anyone could begin to suggest otherwise. I even tried to indicate why seeing a movie about that event and trying to draw a conclusion about the importance of that event being omitted, by those unaware of the sentiments at the time would be unlikely..through Rummy. I listed the support for why I hold my views based upon the understandings at the time. I never called anyone in opposition unpatriotic, but rather tried to understand the "reasoning" for the opinions held and it appeared an age gap was in place. Why was it left out(rhetorical)? Did they somehow think the flag planting would supersede the intent of the movie? If not, why did they leave out this iconic moment and if it wouldn't supersede the moment why wasn't it left in? Valid questions for reflection it appears to me ...

Those are thoughts I have and the reasons for them. Others have different opinions and that is okay...there is no anger or war with me just questions absent answers in my opinion. I'm good...this was much more than I ever intended.

Reactions: PU pit bull

Whole-heartedly agree. This whole back and forth argument and tjreese trying to prove himself is pretty ridiculous. As you said, why try to put a stake in the ground in regards to a movie you haven't even watched yet and whether it's patriotic or not. I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself. No sense getting all ruffled about it.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Whole-heartedly agree. This whole back and forth argument and tjreese trying to prove himself is pretty ridiculous. As you said, why try to put a stake in the ground in regards to a movie you haven't even watched yet and whether it's patriotic or not. I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself. No sense getting all ruffled about it.
And yet here you guys are, spending just as much time defending a movie you haven't seen, and bringing your own political views into it. Pot/kettle, but you somehow don't see it.

If they made a move about the Battle of Iwo Jima and did not show the boys raising the flag, wouldn't you be a bit skeptical?

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Leaving the American flag out will unite the world. I can't wait!

I suspect part of my lack of concern, for want of better phraseology, is that the view of the flag planting is so iconic and widely publicized and available that it would surprise me that many, if any, viewers of the movie were unaware and had not seen it. Perhaps I am too believing, lol, particularly since I often lament the loss of historical perspective and awareness by Americans today.
“Hey there’s an American flag flying back behind Neil! That’s weird. Was it always there?”

We had a guided tour of Gettysburg this summer and our guide told us you wouldn’t believe how many times he’s been asked why none of the monuments have bullet holes in them. And he also said it’s always been asked by one gender but wouldn’t say which one...

“Hey there’s an American flag flying back behind Neil! That’s weird. Was it always there?”

We had a guided tour of Gettysburg this summer and our guide told us you wouldn’t believe how many times he’s been asked why none of the monuments have bullet holes in them. And he also said it’s always been asked by one gender but wouldn’t say which one...
Ugh, sad but true I am sure.

Gotta laugh at the comment, not you, but the comment. Last year in Berlin, I went to a war memorial and it did have bullet holes in it....decades after the wars the memorial was erected. A few months ago there were threats to destroy statues in many of the civil war sites (Gettsyburg specifically was called out). I get email daily about contributing to preserving the grounds of various Civil War sites. FB has a group on the Civil War as well that can be interesting...

Did you assume the guide suggested the civil war at the time shot bullets into the memorials at that time or decades later or was that clear? Whether it was Gettysburg or the Civil War in general..next time you are in the area there are other sites that may be of interest and within an hour or so. Monocacy where the soldiers from Indiana found the lost papers that led to McCellan all of a sudden being more aggressive in knowing the plans of Lee just prior to Gettysburg. Many credit Wallace (union general from Indiana) for saving Washington as a result of that battle. Not a lot to see (just a couple of miles outside Frederick), but a significant battle few are aware. A battle where the shooting skills of the 90 day temps was impressive... ;)

Also, you have Harper's Ferry close by...scenic view Jefferson described as...snip...snip "This scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic." as well as the industrial arms factory and John Brown capture. Still, the slaughterhouse of the "sunken road" in Antietam is another site worth the visit.

Sacred grounds where many "Americans on both sides" were lost in a war that many believe did not have to happen, but that has already been described. If it is more than Gettysburg and the Civil War in general is of interest...visit the others when you are so close...

Last edited:
Gotta laugh at the comment, not you, but the comment. Last year in Berlin, I went to a war memorial and it did have bullet holes in it....decades after the wars the memorial was erected. A few months ago there were threats to destroy statues in many of the civil war sites (Gettsyburg specifically was called out). I get email daily about contributing to preserving the grounds of various Civil War sites. FB has a group on the Civil War as well that can be interesting...

Did you assume the guide suggested the civil war at the time shot bullets into the memorials at that time or decades later or was that clear? Whether it was Gettysburg or the Civil War in general..next time you are in the area there are other sites that may be of interest and within an hour or so. Monocacy where the soldiers from Indiana found the lost papers that led to McCellan all of a sudden being more aggressive in knowing the plans of Lee just prior to Gettysburg. Many credit Wallace (union general from Indiana) for saving Washington as a result of that battle. Not a lot to see (just a couple of miles outside Frederick), but a significant battle few are aware. A battle where the shooting skills of the 90 day temps was impressive... ;)

Also, you have Harper's Ferry close by...scenic view Jefferson described as...snip...snip "This scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic." as well as the industrial arms factory and John Brown capture. Still, the slaughterhouse of the "sunken road" in Antietam is another site worth the visit.

Sacred grounds where many "Americans on both sides" were lost in a war that many believe did not have to happen, but that has already been described. If it is more than Gettysburg and the Civil War in general is of interest...visit the others when you are so close...
I love near many civil war sites here in Tennessee. I visit two specific sites almost daily... Stones River and Beech Grove. Can you provide a link that shows people are actively trying to remove statues from civil war sites, as this is the first I am hearing of it.

I love near many civil war sites here in Tennessee. I visit two specific sites almost daily... Stones River and Beech Grove. Can you provide a link that shows people are actively trying to remove statues from civil war sites, as this is the first I am hearing of it.
no, in my post I specifically stated that a "few months ago" and I don't keep any links. What I think was stated...and this is going off memory...was that there was threats of destruction and this was in reference to a post that mentioned bullet holes in memorials relative to Gettysburg which wasn't clear if that was a question posed recently in context of the present or if that was assumed to be during the time before they were erected such as the battle itself. as I saw in Berlin.

Here is the victory column. Bullet holes years later as a result of a war and if you go inside and talk to the people inside of the memorial you will find that from time to time...people drive by and still shoot at it. Don't take my word for it...go visit it for yourself...Berlin has a lot of history
Berlin.Victory.Column.original.20728.jpg

90839...k-photo-berlin-victory-column-siegessaule.jpg

I mean it doesn't take much memory to remember the confused removing historic statues recently. perhaps if I get time I'll review what i wrote since I've written a LOT since that post...

AS I said if you wish to keep in tune I'm sure many sites looking for money would like your email...I can hook you up if you want to provide it. Facebook has a group you can visit and twitter has a few sites to follow. Lots out there if interested...

Last edited:
no, in my post I specifically stated that a "few months ago" and I don't keep any links. What I think was stated...and this is going off memory...was that there was threats of destruction and this was in reference to a post that mentioned bullet holes in memorials relative to Gettysburg which wasn't clear if that was a question posed recently in context of the present or if that was assumed to be during the time before they were erected such as the battle itself. as I saw in Berlin.

Here is the victory column. Bullet holes years later as a result of a war and if you go inside and talk to the people inside of the memorial you will find that from time to time...people drive by and still shoot at it. Don't take my word for it...go visit it for yourself...Berlin has a lot of history
Berlin.Victory.Column.original.20728.jpg

90839...k-photo-berlin-victory-column-siegessaule.jpg

I mean it doesn't take much memory to remember the confused removing historic statues recently. perhaps if I get time I'll review what i wrote since I've written a LOT since that post...

AS I said if you wish to keep in tune I'm sure many sites looking for money would like your email...I can hook you up if you want to provide it. Facebook has a group you can visit and twitter has a few sites to follow. Lots out there if interested...

I visit civil war sites very often as I have already stated. I visit Shiloh on avarege once a month and Franklin is just a hop, skip and jump from my home as is Stones River.

All of these sites have monuments and none of them are being removed or in any danger to be removed.

It seems if you state that people are trying to remove statues from civil war sites and you are plugged in as much as you say, then you would know exactly which sites and which monuments are in danger of removal.

So, can you tell me which civil war sites have memorials in danger of removal?

I visit civil war sites very often as I have already stated. I visit Shiloh on avarege once a month and Franklin is just a hop, skip and jump from my home as is Stones River.

All of these sites have monuments and none of them are being removed or in any danger to be removed.

It seems if you state that people are trying to remove statues from civil war sites and you are plugged in as much as you say, then you would know exactly which sites and which monuments are in danger of removal.

So, can you tell me which civil war sites have memorials in danger of removal?
you were writing int eh present an I think I said months ago there were threats. It has taken me a while to get back to this due to coming home from the game and wanting to see if it appeared as bad on the TV as in person. Unfortunately, a one second loss of power was enough to blow my router and I was never able to get it into any factory reset mode in order to apply the firmware. I tried using windows tftp and couldn't get it to begin to start to reset. Moving on here is an article in agreement with the emails I get on preservation and such of battle grounds...specifically Gettysburg which was the initial area of discussion.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/3...urg-to-brace-for-vandalism-protests-amid.html

You will also notice this was months ago as I also stated. Still stupidity nto overtly announced, lies inside like the herpes virus only to return when the conditions are there.

Being late, I see that Andy also tried to address your question. I have only visited the northern campaign battles and would love to see the others, but I can assure you ..."IF" I desired to destroy in some degree or deface a memorial it would be very easy to do as there are many locations where people just aren’t around. With that in agreement to the visual destruction we do see with people around with the police and/or other officials watch, it isn’t unreasonable at all to assume these memorials unprotected when viable threats arise shouldn’t be taken serious BEFORE rather than AFTER. The USA has no monopoly on stupidity as I saw many memorials defaced in Germany as well.

you were writing int eh present an I think I said months ago there were threats. It has taken me a while to get back to this due to coming home from the game and wanting to see if it appeared as bad on the TV as in person. Unfortunately, a one second loss of power was enough to blow my router and I was never able to get it into any factory reset mode in order to apply the firmware. I tried using windows tftp and couldn't get it to begin to start to reset. Moving on here is an article in agreement with the emails I get on preservation and such of battle grounds...specifically Gettysburg which was the initial area of discussion.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/3...urg-to-brace-for-vandalism-protests-amid.html

You will also notice this was months ago as I also stated. Still stupidity nto overtly announced, lies inside like the herpes virus only to return when the conditions are there.

Being late, I see that Andy also tried to address your question. I have only visited the northern campaign battles and would love to see the others, but I can assure you ..."IF" I desired to destroy in some degree or deface a memorial it would be very easy to do as there are many locations where people just aren’t around. With that in agreement to the visual destruction we do see with people around with the police and/or other officials watch, it isn’t unreasonable at all to assume these memorials unprotected when viable threats arise shouldn’t be taken serious BEFORE rather than AFTER. The USA has no monopoly on stupidity as I saw many memorials defaced in Germany as well.
Perfect example of how Fox News is actually fake news. It didn’t happen and the rumors were shot down before the event took place.

Perspective is a funny thing when you will believe only what you want to believe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.eveningsun.com/amp/442878001

I think the confederate memorials most in danger are those on state property (court houses) and on college campuses. Several have been removed, or physically damaged by mob actions. I have heard nothing regarding any statues on federal properties like civil war sites.

I don't think I have seen any "fake news" about any of these actions, on any network. However, I have seen different levels of reporting emphasis.

I think the confederate memorials most in danger are those on state property (court houses) and on college campuses. Several have been removed, or physically damaged by mob actions. I have heard nothing regarding any statues on federal properties like civil war sites.

I don't think I have seen any "fake news" about any of these actions, on any network. However, I have seen different levels of reporting emphasis.
Well, Fox and other right wing media outlets reported that Anifta, or whatever it’s called was threatening to disrupt the cermomy at Gettysburg and that they planned to damage memorials. The fact of the matter is that I cannot find a single statement that backs this up other than those same right wing media outlets.
If anyone can show me a direct quote from this group that they actually planned to do these things, I will stand corrected. I haven’t been able to find a single one however.
That, I’m my book qualifies as fake news and in reality, it is propaganda.

And yet here you guys are, spending just as much time defending a movie you haven't seen, and bringing your own political views into it. Pot/kettle, but you somehow don't see it.

If they made a move about the Battle of Iwo Jima and did not show the boys raising the flag, wouldn't you be a bit skeptical?

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Leaving the American flag out will unite the world. I can't wait!

What you responded to was my first and only comment in this thread, and never did I defend the movie or say anything political, I think you're responding to the wrong person. I just said I don't understand why people are sticking their head in the ground on their opinions about it before they even see it. I'm not defending it, I literally said in my comment "I'll reserve judgement until I see it". Just not sure why so many others aren't willing to do the same.

And no, I don't think leaving the flag out unites the world, you're setting up a straw man. I never said that. I haven't seen it, so I can't say. But from what's been said, the American flag is all over the place in the movie, they just didn't show the one scene of it getting planted.

You are a shit stirrer of great self importance it appears.
Right. I shit stir by pointing out that a statement presented as fact is indeed not a fact at all.
You can have the last word. Spreading propaganda seem to be okay for some, so have at it.

Well, Fox and other right wing media outlets reported that Anifta, or whatever it’s called was threatening to disrupt the cermomy at Gettysburg and that they planned to damage memorials. The fact of the matter is that I cannot find a single statement that backs this up other than those same right wing media outlets.
If anyone can show me a direct quote from this group that they actually planned to do these things, I will stand corrected. I haven’t been able to find a single one however.
That, I’m my book qualifies as fake news and in reality, it is propaganda.
Sorry Pete but I’ve got to call BS on this. I know you do not watch Fox because of your strong liberal lean on other subjects. Good for you. However. I watch all the networks and never heard this story from Fox or any other network. Not sure where where you got this from. My point is you are using hearsay to protest “fake news”.

Now, the real story is that Antifa and other anti confederate groups did, in fact, threaten to stage a protest at Gettysburg and desecrate confederate graves. That fact can be verified. For Fox to report it does not qualify as “fake news”.

I think you are way off base here. You seem a little like you want to defend the actions of Antifa. Is that your position?

Last edited:
Perfect example of how Fox News is actually fake news. It didn’t happen and the rumors were shot down before the event took place.

Perspective is a funny thing when you will believe only what you want to believe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.eveningsun.com/amp/442878001
you apparently missed when I said I get email about preserving sites. One of those emails stated that the were debating closing Gettysburg during the time. The mere fact that "ANTIFA" would deny anything is of no surprise. It doesn't matter. We know what has happened when large groups of stupid people gather and I fully understand the concerns of those trying to preserve these grounds. The dots are damn near touching and if you want to not believe anything....why should I care? I suspect that many are wondering why you appear to keep trolling...

meetingsdemotivator.jpeg

Did you bother reading? The statue was put up on private land in 2003. The federal government then bought the land later on.

How is a statue erected by a private citizen in 2003 a part of preserving our nation's history? Never mind that it seems to be rather inaccurate too.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand....I'm guessing people are outraged at Purdue for being anti-American too.

Last edited:
Did you bother reading? The statue was put up on private land in 2003. The federal government then bought the land later on.

How is a statue erected by a private citizen in 2003 a part of preserving our nation's history? Never mind that it seems to be rather inaccurate too.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand....I'm guessing people are outraged at Purdue for being anti-American too.

I guess I missed it…….where does it say that?

edit: I see the transaction you were talking about now...
Well, I asked if this was close enough because it has the necessary criteria......
A statue on a civil war site...…….and those who want it removed. I don't know how nitpicky we are getting here, but I do think that there are people out there who would love to see statues removed from civil war sites.

Last edited:
Sorry Pete but I’ve got to call BS on this. I know you do not watch Fox because of your strong liberal lean on other subjects. Good for you. However. I watch all the networks and never heard this story from Fox or any other network. Not sure where where you got this from. My point is you are using hearsay to protest “fake news”.

Now, the real story is that Antifa and other anti confederate groups did, in fact, threaten to stage a protest at Gettysburg and desecrate confederate graves. That fact can be verified. For Fox to report it does not qualify as “fake news”.

I think you are way off base here. You seem a little like you want to defend the actions of Antifa. Is that your position?
I didn’t provide the article, Tom did. It says I’m the article that the group who was supposedly threatening to do damage, was actually denying it before the event happened.
I don’t lean liberal, I have been a conservative all of my life, including actively in Kokomo during my 30’s. I simply was raised to be truthful and to call out lies and deception. I really don’t care if groups are threatening to remove memorials from civil wars sites. If it happens, I will stand against it. I don’t have an issue with these memorials or statues being removed from public sites however. I don’t see it as erasing history and I am not black, so I have no idea how offensive it is to others.

This thread began with people being upset about a movie they had not seen, and somehow has morphed into this mess. We all have a right to our views, but we don’t have the right to make falsehoods fact. There is only one truth, not several versions or alternative facts...truth is truth.

Once again, y’all can do as you please. I have made my views known and I don’t feel the need to reiterate those statements. I do think that people should really look at the divisiveness these trivial situations have created in our country and to question who could be behind that and what do they have to gain? Then I think it would be important for all of us as adults to refuse the urge to push these agendas while furthering the divide.

There is a memorial at the Beech Grove civil war cemetery and on it is a farewell to the troops, written by Lt. General N.B. Forrestt that I personally think is an inspiration we could all use in these times of division. It is there prologue to a speech given in Gainesville Alabama, May 9, 1865 and it reads as follows...

In bidding you farewell, rest assured that you carry with you my best wishes for your future welfare and happiness. Without, in any way, referring to the merits of the Cause in which we have been engaged, your courage and determination, as exhibited on many hard-fought fields, has elicited the respect and admiration of friend and foe. And I now cheerfully and gratefully acknowledge my indebtedness to the officers and men of my command whose zeal, fidelity and unflinching bravery have been the great source of my past success in arms.

I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous.

I visit this site almost daily as it is in a beautiful, hidden gem area of Tennessee that I am proud to call home. Each time I read the words, it means a little more to myself and deepens my faith that as Americans, we shall once again come together as one and continue the dream of making the perfect country in a world of tyrants. I hope that on this solemn day that we can all remember that we are all in the same side, and that hopefully we can come together without the need of an event such as the one we remember today.

Y’all have a good day and always Boiler Up!

Reactions: tjreese
I didn’t provide the article, Tom did. It says I’m the article that the group who was supposedly threatening to do damage, was actually denying it before the event happened.
I don’t lean liberal, I have been a conservative all of my life, including actively in Kokomo during my 30’s. I simply was raised to be truthful and to call out lies and deception. I really don’t care if groups are threatening to remove memorials from civil wars sites. If it happens, I will stand against it. I don’t have an issue with these memorials or statues being removed from public sites however. I don’t see it as erasing history and I am not black, so I have no idea how offensive it is to others.

This thread began with people being upset about a movie they had not seen, and somehow has morphed into this mess. We all have a right to our views, but we don’t have the right to make falsehoods fact. There is only one truth, not several versions or alternative facts...truth is truth.

Once again, y’all can do as you please. I have made my views known and I don’t feel the need to reiterate those statements. I do think that people should really look at the divisiveness these trivial situations have created in our country and to question who could be behind that and what do they have to gain? Then I think it would be important for all of us as adults to refuse the urge to push these agendas while furthering the divide.

There is a memorial at the Beech Grove civil war cemetery and on it is a farewell to the troops, written by Lt. General N.B. Forrestt that I personally think is an inspiration we could all use in these times of division. It is there prologue to a speech given in Gainesville Alabama, May 9, 1865 and it reads as follows...

In bidding you farewell, rest assured that you carry with you my best wishes for your future welfare and happiness. Without, in any way, referring to the merits of the Cause in which we have been engaged, your courage and determination, as exhibited on many hard-fought fields, has elicited the respect and admiration of friend and foe. And I now cheerfully and gratefully acknowledge my indebtedness to the officers and men of my command whose zeal, fidelity and unflinching bravery have been the great source of my past success in arms.

I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous.

I visit this site almost daily as it is in a beautiful, hidden gem area of Tennessee that I am proud to call home. Each time I read the words, it means a little more to myself and deepens my faith that as Americans, we shall once again come together as one and continue the dream of making the perfect country in a world of tyrants. I hope that on this solemn day that we can all remember that we are all in the same side, and that hopefully we can come together without the need of an event such as the one we remember today.

Well said. I will say again however that I did in fact get emails from the preservation sites that stated that Gettysburg may be closed (first of July last year) as it was getting discussed for fear of desecration. THAT is the truth and easy to understand based upon this country and what we have all witnessed on many fronts. The issue with the statues is the ignorance of so many that think the north had all the good guys and the south had all the bad guys. That is simply wrong. The opinions on teh movie have already been expressed and I wonder...no need to opine... if international ticket prices might be at play as well. Anyway, just saw this minutes ago

G. K. Chesterton‏@GKCdaily 52m52 minutes ago
Christianity never promised that it would impose universal peace. It had a great deal too much respect for personal liberty.

..and so the liberty battles will rage... ;) Now..didn't you tell me you played for Brian McCauley at one time?

Well said. I will say again however that I did in fact get emails from the preservation sites that stated that Gettysburg may be closed (first of July last year) as it was getting discussed for fear of desecration. THAT is the truth and easy to understand based upon this country and what we have all witnessed on many fronts. The issue with the statues is the ignorance of so many that think the north had all the good guys and the south had all the bad guys. That is simply wrong. The opinions on teh movie have already been expressed and I wonder...no need to opine... if international ticket prices might be at play as well. Anyway, just saw this minutes ago

G. K. Chesterton‏@GKCdaily 52m52 minutes ago
Christianity never promised that it would impose universal peace. It had a great deal too much respect for personal liberty.

..and so the liberty battles will rage... ;) Now..didn't you tell me you played for Brian McCauley at one time?
It’s all good Tom, like I said, I haven’t heard of any threats. You had and I was just wanting to be informed of them as I am a huge civil war junkie and as I said, I am on a battlefield or cemetery almost daily.
I am not upset at all and hope the feeling is mutual.

If a statue of either one of you guys is erected...…..I would not want it removed. Defaced..…..maybe.....but I'd have to see the statue first:)

Last edited:

I like the quote from Nathan B Forrest. He was relatively uneducated soldier, but rose to general by sheer talent. After the Civil War, Forrest went on to found one of our nastiest institutions, the Klu Klux Klan. Anti catholic, anti black, and anti Semitic. That tempers my admiration of the man, but most of us are not without sin.

By the way, almost all the monuments erected on the national battlefields were paid for and built by private citizens or civic groups. Almost none were built by the federal government.

I like the quote from Nathan B Forrest. He was relatively uneducated soldier, but rose to general by sheer talent. After the Civil War, Forrest went on to found one of our nastiest institutions, the Klu Klux Klan. Anti catholic, anti black, and anti Semitic. That tempers my admiration of the man, but most of us are not without sin.

By the way, almost all the monuments erected on the national battlefields were paid for and built by private citizens or civic groups. Almost none were built by the federal government.
Yep, you are absolutely correct! That is what is so great about this country. Even a man, one like Forrest who for many was a monster, amongst all of his hatred and bigotry; he realized that the country was meant to be a haven for those who differ, and for it to prosper, we must all coexist, standing together to defend THE reason for all the lives lived and all of the lives lost...freedom.

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT