ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ryan Gosling is gonna play Neil Armstrong...

He doesn't look or sound like Armstrong so let's hope he does a good job in his portrayal.

I met Mr. Armstrong on my 21st birthday. I still regularly show folks the picture and tell them I’m standing next to one of the most famous people in history and a 1000 years from now kids will still memorize his name and no one ever guesses who it is.

Reactions: nagemj02
Drive was one of the worst movies I have ever seen that I had some sort of expectations for.

Couldn’t disagree more, Drive was one of the best films of the year, Gosling is the best actor of his generation and Carey Mulligan is tragic and lovely.

Reactions: D A Y
Couldn’t disagree more, Drive was one of the best films of the year, Gosling is the best actor of his generation and Carey Mulligan is tragic and lovely.
Well, I respect your opinion, but I can't say I agree with it. I found "Drive" unnecessarily violent, poorly plotted, and poorly acted. When I left the movie I had that 'WTF did I just watch' feeling.

Thank you Mathboy, that's basically how I felt. Other than the initial scene I thought it was like what is the point of this. Of any of this. The whole plot was empty, and bad. There was shit dialog too. Whole scenes with nothing said in awkwardness and nothing seemed like oh yeah this makes sense. I mean I saw it a year ago, and it stood out to me as just garbage. I don't see that there was bad acting in the movie, there was nothing inspiring happening, casual conversations if any.

Reactions: mediaexpert
who cares about drive. negative nancys
Well, I use "Dive" to judge Gosling's acting ability. I remain unimpressed. Having him play Neil Armstrong may produce a movie that is unsuccessful. I don't want to see Neil's legacy treated that way by the Hollywood Bozos. This whole thread was OT and created to discuss the upcoming movie...

Beyond that, I don't have enough crayons to explain it to you further.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and mathboy
Gosling is a much better serious actor than an action-garbage movie like "Drive" actor.

See; Blue Valentine, Lars and The Real Girl, or A Place Beyond The Pines for great RG (among others).

Happy to hear there's a highly respected A-lister repping our beloved Neil Armstrong in this serious piece about his life. I can't think of anyone that would be better.

I believe we went to the moon, in 1969. I was 9, at the time. My family was all gathered around the TV.

The following short film talks about how the melting pts of rocket materials should have doomed the rocket. I haven't checked their facts. They also talk about the radiation issues. The guy that said we lost the technology, WHAT?
A Con video: 9min

This short video explains why we don't see stars in Neil's photo.
A Pro video: 15min

There are so many conspiracy videos out there. I don't know how Neil handled people saying he didn't go. Like I said, "I believe."

God speed, Neil. Hope, Gosling does you justice.

The truth is out there.

I believe we went to the moon, in 1969. I was 9, at the time. My family was all gathered around the TV.

The following short film talks about how the melting pts of rocket materials should have doomed the rocket. I haven't checked their facts. They also talk about the radiation issues. The guy that said we lost the technology, WHAT?
A Con video: 9min

This short video explains why we don't see stars in Neil's photo.
A Pro video: 15min

There are so many conspiracy videos out there. I don't know how Neil handled people saying he didn't go. Like I said, "I believe."

God speed, Neil. Hope, Gosling does you justice.

The truth is out there.
Why did you post this crap?

First Man. I'll confess I've only seen one of his moves, Drive, and I only watched because I like Albert Brooks...

Let's be honest, it's the script that matters - a good actor can't save a bad script, but a good script can help save a not great actor.

Not entirely sure this will be that interesting of an overall movie.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Well, Gosling really screwed this one up. Hollywood felt that this should celebrate the accomplishments of "mankind", and not America, so they omitted the planting of the Americn flag on the moon. Then Gosling tries to defend this decision with some weak bull shit about what Armstrong would have done.

I'm not going to pay one red cent to see this movie.

Well, Gosling really screwed this one up. Hollywood felt that this should celebrate the accomplishments of "mankind", and not America, so they omitted the planting of the Americn flag on the moon. Then Gosling tries to defend this decision with some weak bull shit about what Armstrong would have done.

More to your point...……
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...n-flag-on-the-moon/ar-BBMI6U4?ocid=spartanntp

I am out!!! When the left wing media is also outraged this could end up being a huge Hollywood mistake.

I hear the rocket in the movie doesn't have "USA" on it and the spacesuits have no flag. How's that for historic creative license?!?! Ridiculous...but, it's Hollywood. Wouldn't expect much.

Reactions: mediaexpert

I was going to tell the little panty waste Gosling that as a Boilermaker, Armstrong would have proudly stated that he was an American as all Boilermakers do at Purdue football games. But with a little research, Armstrong started at Purdue in 1947 and I am an American started being recited at Purdue games in 1966. But no doubt Armstrong was a proud American and therefore Gosling is still a panty waste for that weak justification of the movie.

If I remember correctly, he was buried at sea? I remember thinking that it would be a nice touch if it happened at the splash down site.

Gosling is a much better serious actor than an action-garbage movie like "Drive" actor.

See; Blue Valentine, Lars and The Real Girl, or A Place Beyond The Pines for great RG (among others).

Happy to hear there's a highly respected A-lister repping our beloved Neil Armstrong in this serious piece about his life. I can't think of anyone that would be better.
I understand they aren't going to show him planting the flag...I assume they will have the flag on his suit though...

Is Purdue referenced?? All I care about is whether or not PURDUE is mentioned a time or two.

Maybe some shots of campus, "Cradle of Astronauts", etc etc etc. Ya know, the important stuff. USAschmooSA.

Reactions: Emartin70287
I was going to tell the little panty waste Gosling that as a Boilermaker, Armstrong would have proudly stated that he was an American as all Boilermakers do at Purdue football games. But with a little research, Armstrong started at Purdue in 1947 and I am an American started being recited at Purdue games in 1966. But no doubt Armstrong was a proud American and therefore Gosling is still a panty waste for that weak justification of the movie.
Pretty certain that "I am an American" was first recited the game following the storming of Tehran US Embassy in Nov 1979. I still remember entire stadium chanting USA,USA after it concluded-chills...

Pretty certain that "I am an American" was first recited the game following the storming of Tehran US Embassy in Nov 1979. I still remember entire stadium chanting USA,USA after it concluded-chills...
2 sources I found in regards to 1966 (2nd time this morning I’ve linked H&R and I’m profoundly sorry about that).

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/8/19/9180663/i-am-an-american-our-tribute-to-roy-johnson

http://tourtheten.com/purdue/traditions/game-day-traditions/i-am-an-american-america-the-beautiful/

Is Purdue referenced?? All I care about is whether or not PURDUE is mentioned a time or two.

Maybe some shots of campus, "Cradle of Astronauts", etc etc etc. Ya know, the important stuff. USAschmooSA.
I hope so. I hope Purdue is mentioned, but the feat for the USA at the time cannot be dismissed for any old enough to recall the race with Russia that started with JFK

I’ve read flags are everywhere in the movie including you see the flag on the moon in the background in multiple shots, just not being planted. People get so worked up over things these days.
haven't seen the movie and so I don't know. Still, what was teh real purpose in omitting what was the finish line that JFK started and the USA competed with Russia for all old enough to recall?

haven't seen the movie and so I don't know. Still, what was teh real purpose in omitting what was the finish line that JFK started and the USA competed with Russia for all old enough to recall?
Before the end of the decade or ten years as I remember it.

Reactions: tjreese
As an aside, if you blame someone it probably shouldn't be the actors. Directors and producers are more interested in telling a story than getting anything factually correct. Gosling will likely play Armstrong the way he is directed to play Armstrong. As an example, while Ike Turner probably won't win any awards as a Dad or Husband, the movie was a joke. Even Tna said she wished it had been more truthful and most of the band and people around said he wasn't the sadistic bastard he was portrayed to be. Martin Scorscese called it "a piece of trash."

As an aside, if you blame someone it probably shouldn't be the actors. Directors and producers are more interested in telling a story than getting anything factually correct. Gosling will likely play Armstrong the way he is directed to play Armstrong. As an example, while Ike Turner probably won't win any awards as a Dad or Husband, the movie was a joke. Even Tna said she wished it had been more truthful and most of the band and people around said he wasn't the sadistic bastard he was portrayed to be. Martin Scorscese called it "a piece of trash."
I objected to Goslings comments about Armstrong. I also object to the way the movie portrayed the whole subject matter.

Have you seen it?
I feel sad for the family.

from Rick Armstrong and Mark Armstrong (sons) and James Hansen (First Man author):

"In short, we do not feel this movie is anti-American in the slightest. Quite the opposite. But don’t take our word for it. We’d encourage everyone to go see this remarkable film and see for themselves."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/01/neil-armstrongs-sons-defend-first-man-film-from-claims-that-its-anti-american.html
https://pagesix.com/2018/09/01/neil-armstrongs-sons-defend-absence-of-flag-planting-in-first-man/

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I feel sad for the family having to address the politics, rather than the subject of the movie - their father and purdue's most notable alum. even before it has been released in the u.s.

from Rick Armstrong and Mark Armstrong (sons) and James Hansen (First Man author):

"We do not feel this movie is anti-American in the slightest. Quite the opposite. But don’t take our word for it. We’d encourage everyone to go see this remarkable film and see for themselves.
This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement 'for all mankind'. "

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/01/neil-armstrongs-sons-defend-first-man-film-from-claims-that-its-anti-american.html
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/neil-armstrong-sons-defend-first-man-1202923910/
Again, it’s sad how easily we all - regardless of political persuasion - get fired up about stuff without having all of the facts.

Reactions: BoilerBiker
No USA...…...no Purdue reference? I can't think of anything more American, or Purdue for that matter, than Neil Armstrong. I'm sure it's a good flick, but the omissions are puzzling to say the least.

Reactions: indyogb
Before the end of the decade or ten years as I remember it.
The planting of the flag by Armstrong and the planting of the "second" flag on Iwo Jima by those six young men...3 which died on that island were ICONIC moments for the USA! I fear not enough have the relevant background to understand...

Reactions: SIBoiler2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT