ADVERTISEMENT

Opting out

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Apparently 8 players have opted out for the rest of the season. Assuming Sparks is one of the 8 as opposed to it being 8 more. No other names or positions or reasons. Yet.

• Angry
Reactions: SKYDOG
Apparently 8 players have opted out for the rest of the season. Assuming Sparks is one of the 8 as opposed to it being 8 more. No other names or positions or reasons. Yet.
They said Sparks and Anderson were, and we knew that. They did not mention anyone else and is it opting out due to COViD or other transfers. I could see other transfers, because I think we are going to have a major overhaul on our roster this off season.

They said Sparks and Anderson were, and we knew that. They did not mention anyone else and is it opting out due to COViD or other transfers. I could see other transfers, because I think we are going to have a major overhaul on our roster this off season.
All a secret for the time being, as if it got out, somehow this weekend's game would be jeopardized apparently. Why bring it up during a press conference only to dodge answering questions about it?

If the defense and special teams are as bad this week as they have been the last two, I am opting out as well...

• Haha
I told everyone in one of my posts that the dominoes were starting to fall. That many players are unhappy and some will leave. Well you'll notice some of them being absent on Saturday. I have a feeling that a couple will stick it out until the last game but hit the road soon after. Will a QB leave? Yes I believe so. Will Yanni want to come to a less than positive atmosphere for the next four years? No, or he would have already announced his decision and received all of the benefits that would come with an early decision. He might come but only if a " new " school does not come calling that has a stable coaching situation. I still think Northwestern might be a player at the end.
How will the covid season and a less than positive locker room effect recruiting? It just can't help.
I do have one fear from this season. Where would Purdue be if David Bell would leave? I did not say he was or even thinking about it, but just that where would Purdue be without Moore ( NFL ) and Bell absent next year? Not good.

I told everyone in one of my posts that the dominoes were starting to fall. That many players are unhappy and some will leave. Well you'll notice some of them being absent on Saturday. I have a feeling that a couple will stick it out until the last game but hit the road soon after. Will a QB leave? Yes I believe so. Will Yanni want to come to a less than positive atmosphere for the next four years? No, or he would have already announced his decision and received all of the benefits that would come with an early decision. He might come but only if a " new " school does not come calling that has a stable coaching situation. I still think Northwestern might be a player at the end.
How will the covid season and a less than positive locker room effect recruiting? It just can't help.
I do have one fear from this season. Where would Purdue be if David Bell would leave? I did not say he was or even thinking about it, but just that where would Purdue be without Moore ( NFL ) and Bell absent next year? Not good.

Troll. Looking at this poster’s history I see nothing but trashing the program and spreading rumors.

Troll. Looking at this poster’s history I see nothing but trashing the program and spreading rumors.

Yeah the problem is.. he said x was gonna happen a few days ago.. and what he said would happen has started happening.

That doesn’t mean David bell is apparently going to leave and sit out a year or transfer for one season. Nor does it mean that yanni isn’t coming here..

But maybe the QB won’t be burton dude.. and that would really suck.

Is DJ Johnson is one? He ‘opted out’ of several plays on Saturday.
The kickoff and the long passing TD from Langan(sp?)... just absolutely awful effort. Embarrassing. I would be surprised if he sees the field this weekend regardless of whether or not he opts out.

An article about the transfer portal indicated a player could enter and remain playing with his current team until he decided to leave. It also said once he enters the portal the coach has the right to pull his scholarship. Based on that article a player could enter the portal and then finish the season with his current team before leaving. I’m not saying that’s what going happen. I’m just saying technically that’s what could happen. It does appear Brohm will have another 25 man recruiting class and once again people will be saying we have the youngest team again!

Brohm said we will see who has opted out by the depth chart. Who publishes the depth chart and when?

From Brohm's press conference...And no Jeff, we can't figure it out from the depth chart because you won't release one...goodness sakes.

“Well, you know, it's all personal reasons and there's always a little of this and a little of that to it, so I don't wanna get into the specifics,” said Brohm. “But, yeah, we've had multiple people.”

Has one position been impacted more than another?

“Well, I'd rather not be as specific,” said Brohm. “I think you can probably look at the depth chart and figure it out. … “

Reactions: rjmpu82 and DAG10
I'm a Boiler fan thru and thru, but have grown weary of Brohm's non-specific, question dodging press conferences. No need to have them if he is just going talk but say nothing.
I love the work that G&B does and appreciate the coverage that they provide, but, I have long noted that they will not ask tough questions or attempt to hold anyone accountable at all.

Providing a platform for the non-specific, coy, vague and generally lame "conferences" is just as bad, and, as such, I have grown equally weary of the coverage, especially by Tom (who I like personally). No need to have them as you had suggested...no need to cover them either.

I can't figure out Brohm's "end game" with the comment about players opting out. Why would he even mention an opt out? What's the point? He's not going to mention the players by name and he didn't even need to make the comment.

I think its one of two things:

1. A smokescreen that doesn't mean anything on gameday.

or

2. There are some difference makers included and Brohm is trying to give people a preemptive warning.

I can't figure out Brohm's "end game" with the comment about players opting out. Why would he even mention an opt out? What's the point? He's not going to mention the players by name and he didn't even need to make the comment.

I think its one of two things:

1. A smokescreen that doesn't mean anything on gameday.

or

2. There are some difference makers included and Brohm is trying to give people a preemptive warning.
I would guess its the latter. And my guess is it likely includes Rondale Moore...

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I would guess its the latter. And my guess is it likely includes Rondale Moore...
Maybe. But has he proven everything he wanted to prove when he decided to come back? Even on a personal level? This year's highlights seem to pale in comparison to his early ones. I'm not sure if that's a net positive or negative to his draft stock.

Maybe. But has he proven everything he wanted to prove when he decided to come back? Even on a personal level? This year's highlights seem to pale in comparison to his early ones. I'm not sure if that's a net positive or negative to his draft stock.

He’s proven he can get two big ten defenders to follow him everywhere he goes and still be productive. That is a first round proof when it comes to the college experience aspect of rating players

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think moore showed he’s the same player .. enough that his same status will be waiting for him
I don't think it includes Rondale as Purdue plans on honoring him tomorrow per Twitter. They probably would not do that if he opted out. Jared Sparks is not on the Twitter list of honorees.

He’s proven he can get two big ten defenders to follow him everywhere he goes and still be productive. That is a first round proof when it comes to the college experience aspect of rating players
It just seems strange for him to come back for only two games and then opt right back out. Unless in those two games he absolutely lit the world on fire. A long breakaway touchdown or two would erase any doubt he is fully back to form.

As far as draft position, Jalen Reagor is my comp for Rondale as an undersized, electric playmaker. Reagor averaged 15.2 ypc at TCU and was drafted 21st overall. Currently Rondale is at 11.1 ypc for his career but only 8.7 ypc this season.

The wr from Minn who came back decided to leave to prepare for the draft. Nothing surprises me anymore about players’ loyalty!

It just seems strange for him to come back for only two games and then opt right back out. Unless in those two games he absolutely lit the world on fire. A long breakaway touchdown or two would erase any doubt he is fully back to form.

As far as draft position, Jalen Reagor is my comp for Rondale as an undersized, electric playmaker. Reagor averaged 15.2 ypc at TCU and was drafted 21st overall. Currently Rondale is at 11.1 ypc for his career but only 8.7 ypc this season.

Well if I was a pro scout.. me personally, I think making some big plays and having so much attention on you that Horvath looks like John riggins (I’ve seen him referred to on the nebraska site as “that white running back” lmao). .. is lighting it up.

So, I am saying I COULD see it, not that it’s likely or something I’d advise him to do. If it was my kid though, I’d have a hard time spending 0 time thinking about Melvin Bratton etc.

Opting out. What a perfect next step for the trophy for everybody crowd. Don't feel like doing it. Opt out. Don't feel like being embarrassed by losing. Opt out. Don't like working to get more playing time. Opt out. Don't feel like honoring your obligations to repay student loans. Vote for somebody that will make it possible to opt out. Not surprised at all.

I believe that what Brohm is saying is that the kids that are opting out are the ones that are buried in the depth chart. I agree with earlier posts, though. I hope DJ Johnson is one of them. That kid seems to have no effort.

Opting out. What a perfect next step for the trophy for everybody crowd. Don't feel like doing it. Opt out. Don't feel like being embarrassed by losing. Opt out. Don't like working to get more playing time. Opt out. Don't feel like honoring your obligations to repay student loans. Vote for somebody that will make it possible to opt out. Not surprised at all.

You gotta understand the natural counter to that ...

If you’re a young QB here and you do this and come back at a nice guy finishes last school like Purdue .. you’re probably a swell guy next fall.

Try doing it at Georgia, Ohio state or Texas and see if you’re still everyone’s hero.

At those school you drop a key pass and you’ll probably be running stairs till your sides fall off. Here you probably get yelled at in film session for 30 seconds like we did in high school.

So I actually thought it would be a lot worse

I believe that what Brohm is saying is that the kids that are opting out are the ones that are buried in the depth chart. I agree with earlier posts, though. I hope DJ Johnson is one of them. That kid seems to have no effort.

I would take a right cross from a ranked heavyweight just to have Brandon king anthony brown back at corner lol ... I like trice but if I could trade him and the rest of what we have for those two ...

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88

I think he's showed he still has it. Moore hasn't had the big plays but it takes him being surrounded before teams can bring him down. He has had quite a few plays were he's got 7 to 10 yards when I thought there was absolutely nothing there. It just seems like he's not getting the ball in very good positions this year.

I think he's showed he still has it. Moore hasn't had the big plays but it takes him being surrounded before teams can bring him down. He has had quite a few plays were he's got 7 to 10 yards when I thought there was absolutely nothing there. It just seems like he's not getting the ball in very good positions this year.

Plus I think he’d still have the big plays with David blough

The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to call these players losers and quitters. Even if you plan on transferring, you can still finish out the regular season that you committed to, especially if you're a scholarship player. I hope those who opt out aren't back on the team next year...

I’ll say it. Plummer is a bad match for Moore. Moore thrives with an accurate QB who can hit him on the run. He’s not a “put it in the area code and let him go up and get it” receiver like Bell.

We will learn today who opted out. Obviously they had their reasons! And as part of the current culture you will also see more transfers as the NCAA also makes that easier as well. Was the coach at Iowa really a racist? Or was he just a hard ass that today’s players just couldn’t relate to? Is college football becoming like the NBA where the players run the league? This is another strike against redshirting. Players don’t want to take time to develop. Players don’t want to take time to condition. They also don’t really see playing football as their opportunity to get an education. To many athletes today a Purdue Diploma doesn’t mean much more than one from Phoenix University! Many of their current attitude is get somebody else to pay for the degree and let me play. Loyalty is a thing of the past. Rather than student athletes who compete to bring pride and glory for their school, they have become the whats in it for me generation. They look at the revenues generated and have no clue where that revenue goes or how much big time football costs! It’s time to get rid of the private planes, the meals and the facilities and start becoming student athletes once more! If they want to be a pro, let them be like baseball and start upon graduating from high school. We don’t need them representing our school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT