ADVERTISEMENT

State of Purdue Football for 2023

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Wow. For many fans, the excitement of another 8 win regular season (first time in how long?), making it to the conference championship game and a good bowl game has been dimmed with the departure of Jeff Brohm and staff, recruits decommitting and the transfer portal. This is not an knock on the new staff in any way, which I won't discuss, but a mere realization of the program state.

Even if Brohm stayed, this roster needed a lot of work (much more than previous seasons). At most, it will have 36 upperclassman from this year's team for next year (pending additional COVID decisions, transfer outs, retiring). I think 2023 will be a very tough year for Purdue football.

BRIEF SUMMARY BY POSITION

QB - no starting experience between Alaimo, Allen (10 passes thrown in 2022 combined) and Browne.
RB - Devin Mockobee and Dylan Downing have played well. King Doerue to return for his 5th season? Only Kentrell Marks is the other back on scholarship.

WR - besides TJ Sheffield (39 catches in 2022), not much production returning from a pass friendly O.
It's more like an injury report. Mershawn Rice (21), Burks, (15), Sowinski (9), Thompson (3), ARY (2), Terrell (2), Sullivan (1), Canion (0). I'm assuming Tyrone Tracy is moving on.

TE - Miller and Piferi have played well. This could be a really good tandem.
OL - Assuming Miller (13 starts in 2022), Finau (0) and Johnson (2 - injured again) do not use COVID yr.
There's Moussa (8), Hartwig (11), Kaltenberger (2), Mbow (13), and a bunch of underclassman with very little experience (Carpenter, Richards, Preciado, Oben, Watson) or upperclassman that have played very little to none (Bycznski, Fox).

P - Ansell is fine.
K - Fineran is gone, but I think there's capable kickers on the roster.

DL - there's guys that are probably starting (Jenkins, Caraway, Lewis)
Others that have played regularly (Kpaka, Sydnor, Brevard, Boyd, Omonode, Humpich) and a couple recruits that are interesting (Strickland, 2023 class).

LB - probable starters Brothers, Washington and Wahlberg and contributors Kreul, Cox.

CB/S - assuming Brown doesn't use his COVID year.
There are Denson (injured all 2022), Calloway, Allen, Kane as probable starters and Stevens, Brandt, Grigsby as rotational. No other players have experience and are FSH or RS FSH.

FILL THE NEEDS WITH THE PORTAL!
Not so fast.
74 current scholarship players for 2023 assuming Gilbert / Burhenn sign (until more leave/retire).
3/6 use COVID yr opportunity (pure guess) between Finau, Miller, Johnson, Humpich, Tracy, Brown
6 big needs are probably an exp. QB for competition, explosive WR, at least 2 OL, LB, at least 1 CB.
That's 83. Leaves 2 more scholarships for high school recruits or other transfers.

OUTLOOK
While it's 9 months away from really knowing who's on the team, who all the assistant coaches are, how spring ball went, etc. the team lacks experience in so many areas and proven depth at so many position groups is troubling. With the team being young, the early part of the schedule is not helpful. Just don't be shocked and blame / give up on the new staff for troubles in 2022, even with 7 home games.

GAME 1: Fresno State went 10-4 and is on a 9 game winning streak.
GAME 2: @ Virginia Tech went 3-8
GAME 3: Syracuse went 7-5. Beat Purdue in 2022. Oh the penalties on the kickoff and last drive...
GAME 4: Wisconsin
GAME 5: Illinois
GAME 6: @ Iowa
GAME 7: Ohio State
GAME 8: @ Nebraska
GAME 9: @ Michigan
GAME 10: Minnesota
GAME 11: @ Northwestern
GAME 12: Indiana

Last edited:
@Iowa and @Michigan will be the 2 toughest games. OSU is just BEGGING to have their bell rung by us again. I see a new coach in Columbus via my crystal ball after that happens. :)

@Iowa and @Michigan will be the 2 toughest games. OSU is just BEGGING to have their bell rung by us again. I see a new coach in Columbus via my crystal ball after that happens. :)
my crystal ball is showing "absentee in 23" for a bowl

Could be a tough 23 if we continue to lose experienced players. Once the dead Period is over we should know what recruits we have a chance with and continue to look at the portal now!

Interesting - but with the limitted number of rsoter postions available I would not necessarily look for a QB. No mention of Yanni?
I say this with all due respect to a player who worked their butt off to make it this far and has a lot of potential. I know he's battled injuries but here's his stat line. From what I remember for 2022, they brought him in on pass rushing downs. Hopefully, 2023 is his breakout season.

2021 - 4 games 1 tackle
2022 - 8 games 4 tackles and a .5 sack.

I say QB because of depth and competition, there is only one upperclassman, and none of the QB's have played much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT