ADVERTISEMENT

Opting out

So you'd take Blough over Brees? Gotcha...

ANYONE ELSE.. in my previous post I stated that brees and orton were special. Blough I’d call just very good.

I would not take Curtis painter, Elijah sindelar or billy dicken over David blough. I’ve probably sent bloughs first TD pass to Zico vs Ohio state to 200 people lol

Reactions: purduepat1969
I read somewhere that Tirek Murphy and DJ Johnson were among the opt outs. Do you guys expect them back next year? Or is this a case of players just leaving the program? I thought DJ Johnson was going to be a good player for you guys.

I read somewhere that Tirek Murphy and DJ Johnson were among the opt outs. Do you guys expect them back next year? Or is this a case of players just leaving the program? I thought DJ Johnson was going to be a good player for you guys.
I'd just as soon be done with guys who quit on their team mid season.

Johnson, I believe, is a case of yet another P5 transfer whose baggage, whatever his 'real' issues were at Iowa, followed him to his destination. He gave up on several plays in the Rutger game even before officially opting out. That's why I generally don't get excited about these guys.

Murphy continues our legacy of disappointing 4* recruits. Big fish meets small-ish pond. Think you can get by putting in half the work but expect great things to come, just like high school. Maybe that's why these guys sign with Purdue in the first place. And for whatever reason it seems more common at RB than any other position. Al-Terek McBurse, anyone?

We have a culture problem creeping in. Brohm and his staff got out their thick knee pads on to convince some of these guys to come to WL. And then they get here its time to work their asses off, and I'm not convinced that is happening. They, by and large aren't developing quickly, and are not catching up to less talented upperclassmen. Next year is judgment day for the development of the 2018 and 2019 classes. And its time to run recruits through a fine filter of work ethic and understanding what they are signing up for, even if it means missing out on a few. Basically, Brohms needs to adopt some Painter recruiting philosophy.

Johnson, I believe, is a case of yet another P5 transfer whose baggage, whatever his 'real' issues were at Iowa, followed him to his destination. He gave up on several plays in the Rutger game even before officially opting out. That's why I generally don't get excited about these guys.

Murphy continues our legacy of disappointing 4* recruits. Big fish meets small-ish pond. Think you can get by putting in half the work but expect great things to come, just like high school. Maybe that's why these guys sign with Purdue in the first place. And for whatever reason it seems more common at RB than any other position. Al-Terek McBurse, anyone?

We have a culture problem creeping in. Brohm and his staff got out their thick knee pads on to convince some of these guys to come to WL. And then they get here its time to work their asses off, and I'm not convinced that is happening. They, by and large aren't developing quickly, and are not catching up to less talented upperclassmen. Next year is judgment day for the development of the 2018 and 2019 classes. And its time to run recruits through a fine filter of work ethic and understanding what they are signing up for, even if it means missing out on a few. Basically, Brohms needs to adopt some Painter recruiting philosophy.
And just to add one more thing regarding work ethic. Back a couple years ago there was a story about how the Purdue players had devices that monitored how hard they were practicing and it showed that Rondale was going like 200% harder than anyone else on the team. That really stuck with me. Most people though, gosh how amazing is that for Rondale. I was like, how is that even possible and why is nobody else on the team following his lead? That cannot possibly be a good sign. But that story came out when everything was looking sunshine and rainbows for the program. I wonder how it might be perceived differently today...

Can we confirm that Jalen Graham is just injured or COVID related? Hoping thats the case.

lol your post is so tired..

“Let me take a time machine from the Selwyn lymon era and act like we have boatloads of shitty Four stars under brohm ...”

hey, while you’re on tired takes from 2006 retreaded by intellectually lazy posters, how did Indiana beat Wisconsin? 2006 wisdom tells me that’s impossible because you can’t be located in Indiana and ever ever ever recruit the linemen needed to beat Wisconsin unless you’re Notre dame.

we don’t have a “four star problem”

go get me 85 four stars.. after 15 of them turn into Funyuns Murphy we will still have a good team

lol your post is so tired..

“Let me take a time machine from the Selwyn lymon era and act like we have boatloads of shitty Four stars under brohm ...”

hey, while you’re on tired takes from 2006 retreaded by intellectually lazy posters, how did Indiana beat Wisconsin? 2006 wisdom tells me that’s impossible because you can’t be located in Indiana and ever ever ever recruit the linemen needed to beat Wisconsin unless you’re Notre dame.

we don’t have a “four star problem”

go get me 85 four stars.. after 15 of them turn into Funyuns Murphy we will still have a good team
How did Indiana beat Wisconsin? Great question. It certainly wasn’t with a multitude of pampered 4* recruits.

We need hard working, committed guys who want to get better, want to be coached, sprinkled in with talented hard workers like Rondale, Bell, and GK. The Painter model is not devoid of talent and neither are the Ferentz, Fitz, and yes, now Allen models. But they don’t depend on a ton of prima donnas either. What they do have is guys who develop and a system and coaches able to develop them.

How did Indiana beat Wisconsin? Great question. It certainly wasn’t with a multitude of pampered 4* recruits.

We need hard working, committed guys who want to get better, want to be coached, sprinkled in with talented hard workers like Rondale, Bell, and GK. The Painter model is not devoid of talent and neither are the Ferentz, Fitz, and yes, now Allen models. But they don’t depend on a ton of prima donnas either. What they do have is guys who develop and a system and coaches able to develop them.

Go reread what I said

One point was about tired four star takes from 2006. In a separate point, having nothing to do with four stars, I asked about another shitty take from that era.. the “you can’t have good linemen in Indiana because it’s not like Wisconsin where good linemen grow on trees” take

And just to add one more thing regarding work ethic. Back a couple years ago there was a story about how the Purdue players had devices that monitored how hard they were practicing and it showed that Rondale was going like 200% harder than anyone else on the team. That really stuck with me. Most people though, gosh how amazing is that for Rondale. I was like, how is that even possible and why is nobody else on the team following his lead? That cannot possibly be a good sign. But that story came out when everything was looking sunshine and rainbows for the program. I wonder how it might be perceived differently today...

That is the biggest reason he is the best player on the field.

I always remember that excellent Rondale Moore play shaking multiple tackles for a touch down. That's the one where another player, Terry Wright, put in an excellent effort making three blocks on the play. I cannot watch the games but only the highlights. In one of the last two games the ball was caught down field with only one defender between him and the goal line. That defender could easily have been blocked by another receiver, but he declined to make the easy play and let the defender tackle the receiver for a shorter gain instead of an easy long touchdown. Now, contrast that with that other receiver Wright constantly repositioning himself and throwing three blocks instrumental in that Moore touchdown. Rondale practices and plays, Terry Wright did, but many of our other players choose not to.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I always remember that excellent Rondale Moore play shaking multiple tackles for a touch down. That's the one where another player, Terry Wright, put in an excellent effort making three blocks on the play. I cannot watch the games but only the highlights. In one of the last two games the ball was caught down field with only one defender between him and the goal line. That defender could easily have been blocked by another receiver, but he declined to make the easy play and let the defender tackle the receiver for a shorter gain instead of an easy long touchdown. Now, contrast that with that other receiver Wright constantly repositioning himself and throwing three blocks instrumental in that Moore touchdown. Rondale practices and plays, Terry Wright did, but many of our other players choose not to.
That's what I'm talking about. If I saw a teammate out-working me, much less had it made public, it would motivate me like nothing else. That shit should be contagious for any competitive individual. What do Northwestern, Iowa, and Indiana have that Purdue does not? Is it players? Is it coaching? Is it both? I think its both.
Why is this team regressing as more highly ranked players are coming aboard? Like your example with Wright, how could a bigger, stronger guy like Maliq Carr not be utilized to put db's on their asses and clear the way for Rondale and Bell? How did we get absolutely nothing out of him after all the preseason banter about all the ways he was going to be used. How the line fall apart this season but seemed to come together last season? The defense is a mess but the offense has way more issues than anyone thought was possible. The youth excuse expires next season. Judgment day.

Troll. Looking at this poster’s history I see nothing but trashing the program and spreading rumors.
Purdue does Not have a football program, they have a football team. Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson have football programs. I'm sure you understand the difference.
I've been following Purdue sports since 1960 and the only coach who has built a program at Purdue was Gene Keady. Coach Painters recruiting may get Purdue to that level again soon.

Reactions: Inspector100
Purdue does Not have a football program, they have a football team. Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson have football programs. I'm sure you understand the difference.
I've been following Purdue sports since 1960 and the only coach who has built a program at Purdue was Gene Keady. Coach Painters recruiting may get Purdue to that level again soon.

whichQB is leaving insider?

That's what I'm talking about. If I saw a teammate out-working me, much less had it made public, it would motivate me like nothing else. That shit should be contagious for any competitive individual. What do Northwestern, Iowa, and Indiana have that Purdue does not? Is it players? Is it coaching? Is it both? I think its both.
Why is this team regressing as more highly ranked players are coming aboard? Like your example with Wright, how could a bigger, stronger guy like Maliq Carr not be utilized to put db's on their asses and clear the way for Rondale and Bell? How did we get absolutely nothing out of him after all the preseason banter about all the ways he was going to be used. How the line fall apart this season but seemed to come together last season? The defense is a mess but the offense has way more issues than anyone thought was possible. The youth excuse expires next season. Judgment day.
also I might add, after what Garrett Miller showed on that one big play, how do you not take advantage o his abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT