ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus Bowl Game Discussion Thread

If you believe that I do not want to see you posting Brohm left the cupboard bare in 6 months as an excuse for why our team SUcs . I’m tired of posters saying the last coach left the cupboard bare! Posters are always blaming the previous coach or making some other lame excuse. Purdue is what it is.
You won’t because next years team is Walters and I believe he will flip this roster all around with how the transfer portal works now. Outside of a some what proven Qb at the time Hazell didn’t leave anything more than what Brohm is leaving. I’m not sticking up for Brohms recruiting because today was hard to watch but Hazells recruiting was god awful for being a big ten school. Purdue played without the guys that literally ran this team all year long vs a top 5 program full of stars so what did you expect to happen?! Like you said Purdue is what it is so when you don’t play with your top guys and coaches your depth is going to kick you in the nut’s vs a program like that.

Reactions: z_one
Not very impressed with Brohm recruiting either. Returning talent is worse than what Hazell left behind.
You won’t because next years team is Walters and I believe he will flip this roster all around with how the transfer portal works now. Outside of a some what proven Qb at the time Hazell didn’t leave anything more than what Brohm is leaving. I’m not sticking up for Brohms recruiting because today was hard to watch but Hazells recruiting was god awful for being a big ten school. Purdue played without the guys that literally ran this team all year long vs a top 5 program full of stars so what did you expect to happen?! Like you said Purdue is what it is so when you don’t play with your top guys and coaches your depth is going to kick you in the nut’s vs a program like that.
Don’t even engage with morons. All they have to do is go back and look at the classes. Hazel had 4 classes, 3 last in the Big and 1 next to last. Brohm has consistently recruited middle of the Big in terms of talent including a couple years that were very good classes for Purdue. Barring more transfers Purdue will have 4 star talent at qb, wr, dl, and secondary.

Brohm inherited a roster full of players who had never won more than 1 Big Ten game in any year before he got there. Purdue’s had the worst roster in the Big Ten Brohm’s first year. Even with all the transfers we will likely be ahead of 4-5 teams in the Big Ten from a talent perspective.

Reactions: *Shockerrr*
so an LSU player can call Deion a bitch ass nigga not once but twice, as he injured him and the official is cool with it, no penalty? disgusting ! college football officiating is ala joke. heard it clear ass day, uncalled for, and no place for that in this world nor in college athletics.

and Graham got flagged for high stepping

Reactions: z_one and drewjin
also have to factor in we got bump up to play a tougher team due to 2 BIG10 teams in final 4

Don’t even engage with morons. All they have to do is go back and look at the classes. Hazel had 4 classes, 3 last in the Big and 1 next to last. Brohm has consistently recruited middle of the Big in terms of talent including a couple years that were very good classes for Purdue. Barring more transfers Purdue will have 4 star talent at qb, wr, dl, and secondary.

Brohm inherited a roster full of players who had never won more than 1 Big Ten game in any year before he got there. Purdue’s had the worst roster in the Big Ten Brohm’s first year. Even with all the transfers we will likely be ahead of 4-5 teams in the Big Ten from a talent perspective.

Brohm was left with quite a few skill players. Markell Jones, DJ Knox, David Blough, Sindelar, Mahounga, Zico

This roster has next to no skill players left with the exception of Mockobee and maybe Sheffield and Miller (depending on how he recovers).

Depth at OL is no better than it was in 2017.
Depth at LB is worse than 2017.
Depth at CB/S is worse than 2017.
Depth at DL is probably the biggest bright spot, but that's about it.

You can talk about how much better of a coach Brohm is than Hazell, and you'd be right. But the roster and recruiting have been going down hill for the last couple of years.

Brohm was left with quite a few skill players. Markell Jones, DJ Knox, David Blough, Sindelar, Mahounga, Zico

This roster has next to no skill players left with the exception of Mockobee and maybe Sheffield and Miller (depending on how he recovers).

Depth at OL is no better than it was in 2017.
Depth at LB is worse than 2017.
Depth at CB/S is worse than 2017.
Depth at DL is probably the biggest bright spot, but that's about it.

You can talk about how much better of a coach Brohm is than Hazell, and you'd be right. But the roster and recruiting have been going down hill for the last couple of years.
-Zico was a juco Brohm recruit
-Mahounga is no different than some of the WR left on this roster
-Mock is just as good or better already than the running backs then.

Yes there is depth issues across the board but Brohm is not leaving less than what Hazell did other than a proven QB.

-Zico was a juco Brohm recruit
-Mahounga is no different than some of the WR left on this roster
-Mock is just as good or better already than the running backs then.

Yes there is depth issues across the board but Brohm is not leaving less than what Hazell did other than a proven QB.

OK, so go thru the positions and tell me how the roster yesterday was better than the one left to him when he arrived.

WR = About the same
TE = Cole Herdman/Brycen Hopkins > Garret Miller (hurt) and Biber
RB = Knox/Jones > Mockobee is great, but there is ZERO depth in the RB room. Downing is not very good.
QB = Sindelar/Blough > Alaimo
OL = You could make the argument that the starters today are better than 2017. But the depth is about the same.
DL = Currently better than 2017
LB = Significantly worse than 2017 - Bailey and Bentley were on the 2017 team
CB/S = Not sure how it gets much worse than what's left right now.

OK, so go thru the positions and tell me how the roster yesterday was better than the one left to him when he arrived.

WR = About the same
TE = Cole Herdman/Brycen Hopkins > Garret Miller (hurt) and Biber
RB = Knox/Jones > Mockobee is great, but there is ZERO depth in the RB room. Downing is not very good.
QB = Sindelar/Blough > Alaimo
OL = You could make the argument that the starters today are better than 2017. But the depth is about the same.
DL = Currently better than 2017
LB = Significantly worse than 2017 - Bailey and Bentley were on the 2017 team
CB/S = Not sure how it gets much worse than what's left right now.
There definitely is a argument to be made when you look at position by position I will agree with you there and yes Brohms recruiting was always iffy outside of WR and DL but when you look at overall star talent left on the roster I don’t see it being any worse than what Hazekl left it as. Yes yesterday was a complete sh*t show but when you take away the guys that literally ran the offense all season long you’re asking for problems. The only good thing about the transfer portal is years like this and I have no doubt in my mind that Walters will be brining in a bunch to help this team out!

Last edited:
Congrats on a great year fellas, we (LSU) feel your pain on playing a bowl with your hands tied behind your backs; one year ago we had 39 schollie players, no coach, no QB and had to start a backup Safety at QB, a senior who hadn't played QB since high school. The bowls have become a poor measuring stick since the teams on the field no longer represent the teams of the season. BTW we got blown out by K State, so I enjoyed watching them have to play a Bama that had a few regulars in the game. Stay the course!

Reactions: z_one
There definitely is a argument to be made when you look at position by position I will agree with you there and yes Brohms recruiting was always iffy outside of WR and DL but when you look at overall star talent left on the roster I don’t see it being any worse than what Hazekl left it as. Yes yesterday was a complete sh*t show but when you take away the guys that literally ran the offense all season long you’re asking for problems. The only good thing about the transfer portal is years like this and I have no doubt in my mind that Walters will be brining in a bunch to help this team out!
I'm definitely not saying it's worse than Hazell. But this is definitely worse than what Mike Bobinski wants to admit it is. It's another rebuild and definitely not a reload. We're not in much better shape than we were in 2017 from a roster perspective. From a facilities and program perspective, absolutely.

The saving grace will hopefully be the portal. Because if it wasn't for that, we'd be in a world of trouble if we had to wait out high school recruiting.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Congrats on a great year fellas, we (LSU) feel your pain on playing a bowl with your hands tied behind your backs; one year ago we had 39 schollie players, no coach, no QB and had to start a backup Safety at QB, a senior who hadn't played QB since high school. The bowls have become a poor measuring stick since the teams on the field no longer represent the teams of the season. BTW we got blown out by K State, so I enjoyed watching them have to play a Bama that had a few regulars in the game. Stay the course!

Appreciate you being gracious and full of class coming here. That's a lot different than what we've seen from Tennessee and Notre Dame fans...

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I wouldn’t even say that. People are trying to rewrite history here. Established qb some are saying?!?! Blough threw 21 interceptions the year before Brohm came… 21!!!!! Sindelar hadn’t done anything. If we had a good qb on the roster when Brohm came it’s because he made one. It sucks that Allen transferred but Allen/Alaimo had incredible talent at the qb position. Mockabee looks as good as any rb I can remember at Purdue. On paper Rice, Sheffield and Yaseen look to have the talent to be amazing wrs. Night and day better from a talent perspective than anything Brohm inherited. Miller could be one of the best TEs ever athletically but we will see how he recovers. And the o-line was better when Brohm came?!?! Wth are people thinking? Blough, a mobile wb was sacked 28 times the year before Brohm came. They averaged rushing 96 yds per game and 3.2 ypc before Brohm got here. Last year 121 and 3.6. It’s not even worth talking about dl. Night and day more talented now. We had some good lbs when Brohm arrived but Brothers, Karlaftis, and Walburg all could also end up being good assuming they come back. I have no idea who is coming back in our secondary right now but we have had some highly rated guys come in and transfer in.

Don’t let people rewrite history. The proof is in the pudding. Brohm inherited a roster that won one game in the Big. Just 1. It seemed a miracle that Brohm was able to bring in some transfers and win 7. Walters is inheriting a roster that just won 17 total games in two years. We have a lot of question marks for next year (less than Brohm who was expected to win 2-3 games in year 1) but the talent is there for us to remain at least a perennial bowl team.

I wouldn’t even say that. People are trying to rewrite history here. Established qb some are saying?!?! Blough threw 21 interceptions the year before Brohm came… 21!!!!! Sindelar hadn’t done anything. If we had a good qb on the roster when Brohm came it’s because he made one. It sucks that Allen transferred but Allen/Alaimo had incredible talent at the qb position. Mockabee looks as good as any rb I can remember at Purdue. On paper Rice, Sheffield and Yaseen look to have the talent to be amazing wrs. Night and day better from a talent perspective than anything Brohm inherited. Miller could be one of the best TEs ever athletically but we will see how he recovers. And the o-line was better when Brohm came?!?! Wth are people thinking? Blough, a mobile wb was sacked 28 times the year before Brohm came. They averaged rushing 96 yds per game and 3.2 ypc before Brohm got here. Last year 121 and 3.6. It’s not even worth talking about dl. Night and day more talented now. We had some good lbs when Brohm arrived but Brothers, Karlaftis, and Walburg all could also end up being good assuming they come back. I have no idea who is coming back in our secondary right now but we have had some highly rated guys come in and transfer in.

Don’t let people rewrite history. The proof is in the pudding. Brohm inherited a roster that won one game in the Big. Just 1. It seemed a miracle that Brohm was able to bring in some transfers and win 7. Walters is inheriting a roster that just won 17 total games in two years. We have a lot of question marks for next year (less than Brohm who was expected to win 2-3 games in year 1) but the talent is there for us to remain at least a perennial bowl team.
You have very good points! And I agree this team is being left with more overall talent than what Hazell left. If people forget Brohm had to do some juco and grad senior shopping to fill gaps on his first team that wasn’t all Hazell recruits. When you break it down by positions I do believe Hazell left some better players at LB, CB and QB but outside of that the current roster has equal or better talent at the rest of the positions. There’s a lot of young guys on this current roster that haven’t got a chance yet because this years team was loaded with upper class men. Yes Brohm turned David Blough’s career around before leaving Purdue, hopefully Walters and staff can do the same with whoever gets the QB job! Don’t get me wrong Walters has his work cut out and still has plenty of gaps to fill by next year but I look for him to take full advantage of the portal!

Reactions: Beorik

LMAO. Rewrite history? Walters had to immediately go to the portal to get even a serviceable QB to start next season. Blough was head and shoulders above Burton or Alaimo. Mockobee was left on the bench until Brohm had to play him this year. Otherwise he'd have been an unknown going into next year because he wouldn't have seen the field. Knox/Jones had hundreds of yards rushing going into 2017.

Until Miller proves it on the field he can't hold a jock for Herdman and Hopkins.

And as far as the offense went, that was on Schoop and Hazell, not on the recruits.

Reactions: z_one and Poprudy
I'm definitely not saying it's worse than Hazell. But this is definitely worse than what Mike Bobinski wants to admit it is. It's another rebuild and definitely not a reload. We're not in much better shape than we were in 2017 from a roster perspective. From a facilities and program perspective, absolutely.

The saving grace will hopefully be the portal. Because if it wasn't for that, we'd be in a world of trouble if we had to wait out high school recruiting.
my thoughts too

LMAO. Rewrite history? Walters had to immediately go to the portal to get even a serviceable QB to start next season. Blough was head and shoulders above Burton or Alaimo. Mockobee was left on the bench until Brohm had to play him this year. Otherwise he'd have been an unknown going into next year because he wouldn't have seen the field. Knox/Jones had hundreds of yards rushing going into 2017.

Until Miller proves it on the field he can't hold a jock for Herdman and Hopkins.

And as far as the offense went, that was on Schoop and Hazell, not on the recruits.
Pat, I think Miller is better than Herdman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT