ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel is not a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
If CMP thought it was a good idea, he would be doing it. Maybe Nojel hasn't shown the ability to do it consistently in practice. There is a reason Painter isn't running any offense for him.
He does all that in practice consistently I no what coaches say to me how he is doing in practice. No difference tha Haarms just setting screens and Evan doing the same the plays or sets are ran for 2 ppl as of right now. He can score if he was put in position to do do like zavier Simpson he’s not a knock down shooter but mich coach runs high ball screens for him to operate it gives him freedom of movement to score or find his shooters and he’s 6 foot tall. Nojel runs whatever plays he’s being told to run same as other players. Spread the offense out for other players on the team you very well might see better offensive results.

Reactions: mathboy
He does all that in practice consistently I no what coaches say to me how he is doing in practice. No difference tha Haarms just setting screens and Evan doing the same the plays or sets are ran for 2 ppl as of right now. He can score if he was put in position to do do like zavier Simpson he’s not a knock down shooter but mich coach runs high ball screens for him to operate it gives him freedom of movement to score or find his shooters and he’s 6 foot tall. Nojel runs whatever plays he’s being told to run same as other players. Spread the offense out for other players on the team you very well might see better offensive results.
What is Painter's reasoning for continuing to only run plays for two guys then?

Reactions: hoosierdog1
What is Painter's reasoning for continuing to only run plays for two guys then?
I cannot comment on that I’m not the coach I’m just stating an opinion from what I see the offense needs more balance I’m sure you see that.

I cannot comment on that I’m not the coach I’m just stating an opinion from what I see the offense needs more balance I’m sure you see that.
Treed,

You mentioned that Jelly was going to get some shooting help this past offseason. I am curious if that panned out and, if so, what type of program was it? I thought on the Michigan broadcast that the announcers said Charles Mathews shot like 500-1000 shots a day to improve his jumper? I think we all can agree that he needs to at least be respectable from the perimeter to keep defenses somewhat honest.

Treed,

You mentioned that Jelly was going to get some shooting help this past offseason. I am curious if that panned out and, if so, what type of program was it? I thought on the Michigan broadcast that the announcers said Charles Mathews shot like 500-1000 shots a day to improve his jumper? I think we all can agree that he needs to at least be respectable from the perimeter to keep defenses somewhat honest.
It’s all mental with him with his shot. Until he gets over that hurdle no shooting coach no shot doctor will help. He and I worked on it when he was home for the spring it was coming together but something happened now we back to square 1. Nojel is 6”7 long athletic quick has great vision get get to the basket gotta find ways to utilize all the things he does so well belein does it for Simpson he’s not a great shooter but he uses high ball screens that gives him freedom of movement to operate to make plays for himself and his teammates and he’s 6 foot tall. Nojel can play any position offensively if u utilize his size for different match ups like Michigan does. He has post game he can beat 4/5s of the dribble he can punish smaller guards in the post they double he has guard skills so he will make good decisions passing out the post can see over efenses if double team come. Him not shooting the ball doesn’t hurt the team if he’s used in ways to show case his strengths to his offensive game. I understand teams sag on him we no he knows but I’m telling you take him off the point sometimes play him at the 3/4/5 and utilize his speed against those type of players. Just gotta find ways to expose his size to match up against players that will have hard time guarding him on the perimeter or post the coaches switch him up more his shot won’t be an issue plenty of shooters on the team he has to work with like Simpson has and it’s working.

It’s all mental with him with his shot. Until he gets over that hurdle no shooting coach no shot doctor will help. He and I worked on it when he was home for the spring it was coming together but something happened now we back to square 1. Nojel is 6”7 long athletic quick has great vision get get to the basket gotta find ways to utilize all the things he does so well belein does it for Simpson he’s not a great shooter but he uses high ball screens that gives him freedom of movement to operate to make plays for himself and his teammates and he’s 6 foot tall. Nojel can play any position offensively if u utilize his size for different match ups like Michigan does. He has post game he can beat 4/5s of the dribble he can punish smaller guards in the post they double he has guard skills so he will make good decisions passing out the post can see over efenses if double team come. Him not shooting the ball doesn’t hurt the team if he’s used in ways to show case his strengths to his offensive game. I understand teams sag on him we no he knows but I’m telling you take him off the point sometimes play him at the 3/4/5 and utilize his speed against those type of players. Just gotta find ways to expose his size to match up against players that will have hard time guarding him on the perimeter or post the coaches switch him up more his shot won’t be an issue plenty of shooters on the team he has to work with like Simpson has and it’s working.
Thanks for the update. Yes he brings a lot of other things that are valuable to the team. When you say square 1, can you be more specific...like what is his comfort range (distance) shooting?

Thanks for the update. Yes he brings a lot of other things that are valuable to the team. When you say square 1, can you be more specific...like what is his comfort range (distance) shooting?
More form shooting to get his elbow straight and shooting one motion straight up and down. Just building his confidence up is really the idea making it fun for him to shoot it. He gets his shot back he gonna be making a lot of money soon. We gone get it right trust me he wants it to be right

Reactions: InModeration
I don't like to come on here and be overly critical of individual players. To me, today is a classic example of why you have to beat ranked teams that you are capable of beating when the opportunity presents itself. We are just as good as Va Tech and FSU and found ways to lose both games. Those two wins would look great on our resume. We are not better than Michigan. They would beat us 8 out of 10 times. IF we beat Va Tech and FSU, this beatdown is a lot easier to stomach. Today was probably the worst defense I have ever seen by a Purdue team, and I have been watching since 1978. We really don't have an established TEAM offense yet. We had a few pick and roll opportunities but couldn't convert. We did not shoot well across the board and shot selection is still missing at times. There are too many lazy passes. Finally, I think Painter is going to have to take his lumps with Aaron Wheeler and play him more. He has a lot of upside, just no experience. He is going to hurt us at times, but over the course of the long season he will improve as he gets experience and confidence. Michigan is a very good, well coached team. We don't yet have a TEAM identity and we need to develop one soon.
Carsen disagrees with you!

So many coaches who no better on this site. But I’m sure you can dribble better than him
You know I asked you 2-3 days ago if Nojel had worked on his shot this past summer and who is his shooting coach but you never replied?

Bigjaystud is an illinois troll from the National board.
You really don't think that's a legitimate question?

Painter didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Somehow he had no problem incorporating 5 guys in his offensive schemes last season. Most likely he's not running offense for certain players is because those players are limited offensively.

You really don't think that's a legitimate question?

Painter didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Somehow he had no problem incorporating 5 guys in his offensive schemes last season. Most likely he's not running offense for certain players is because those players are limited offensively.
I agree he's limited offensively. But you came here to specifically rile up a players mom of a team you don't even root for.

Reactions: Schnelk
Translation: it's Painter's fault

OMG I was afraid of that!

I agree he's limited offensively. But you came here to specifically rile up a players mom of a team you don't even root for.
I really didn't. But, she's a typical sports parent who blames the coach for her child's lack of productivity. Eastern was a great prep player. But, he's limited at the high D1 level.

Let me guess, you’re the uncle of this kid?
Have I told you my son is a division 1 track athlete? His first meet this year is this weekend! He thinks he'll be competing in the 60, long jump, 4x400 relay and 1 other event. He's kind of the alpha and omega for his team as he usually competes in the first and last event of every meet.

You know I asked you 2-3 days ago if Nojel had worked on his shot this past summer and who is his shooting coach but you never replied?
Didn’t no you asked me that. He did all spring and summer I cannot tell you why he won’t shoot it. Its all in his mind but is his shooting hurting the team tell me that. So he’s a liability on offense bcuz he doesn’t shoot it. Are you telling me he’s being judged based on his shooting. When he has consistently shut down most teams best team scorer that counts for nothing. He guards multiple players he rebounds. He pass the ball well finding his open shooters he’s taling care of the ball only one game he had 4 t/o other than that his t/o are way down. Whether he play as a PG or not at Purdue or hopefully one day in the NBA he is an elite defender with 6”7 at 220 pound size athletic quick that has the mind of a PG but the body of a forward that could find his way on a NBA team based on potential alone. He worked out for Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks and both teams told my son this we will be watching you following you this season but advised him to play to his strengths continue to do what you are great at bcuz he showed them in those workouts all the things he can do but told him continue to work on your shot but do not let that hinder your play bcuz you are more than a shooter you are a basketball player. Zaire smith from Texas tech didn’t get drafted bcuz his offensive skill set and he’s only 6”4 super athletic he got drafted bcuz of his potential and defense he was defensive player of the year in that conference so there are other positions he can play bcuz of his size in the nba. Also it’s only 8 games played so far so much season to be played and right now he needs to continue to do what he can to help this team win and he does play to his strengths bcuz he has some things he does well pull that out of him than maybe the shooting thing comes along.

Reactions: cropper53
I really didn't. But, she's a typical sports parent who blames the coach for her child's lack of productivity. Eastern was a great prep player. But, he's limited at the high D1 level.
I’m not blaming anyone. Limited oh ok got it

Get a life you. Just a hater stop watching if it concerns you what he can’t do.

Why don’t you get back to your sucky program’s board? Nothing to discuss on the Fighting IllWhini board these days?

I will remind each poster that there are actually some posters here who actually are coaches and:eek:r refs or players at the division 1/2 levels. They actually are experts and actually know what they are talking about and actually can identify player faults.

However, there are many here that can't and some post with no knowledge at all with the lone purpose of annoying and harassing others.

I followed my son's high school and AAU basketball career and admit I still know very little about the game. The one thing I have learned is complaining about the refs never fixes their calls. I've followed my son's track career through 4 years of college and I admit I don't know everything. But there are many things I can see and flaws I can detect. However, I have realized my son listens more to his coaches and other teammates than my criticisms.

My point? There are experts here. Im not one of them. If you have a take or criticism make it respectfully. And don't use this board to say things you wouldn't say publically to someone's face. And treat everyone with respect even those you may not agree with or appreciate. No one person is better or worse than any other or more worthy of respect. And that goes for posters as well as players.

They sag off Ben Simmons too and he does fine. Yes, I know Ben Simmons is on another level, but the point is, a player with Nojel’s skill set can be a very effective PG/facilitator.

It’s on the coach to cater to his skill set and put Nojel in spots he can succeed in. Nojel should be in a high ball screen offense.
I honestly think you may be right but in Painters offense (at least the offense that we have been running) I'd prefer to see Nojel play off the ball. His vision and skills would be better put to use imo.

Here is my take fan is short for fanatic. Momma bear will always be a mamma bear. I am an IU guy amd this is the worst offense i habe ever seen from a painter team. It is noones fault painter has not figured out how to use everyone in the offense without figuring the tipping point of to much Edwards or not enough Edwards. Eastern has had some bad games bit everyone is 8 games into the season. My point is that Treed will always support her son as any parent shoukd do even if she contradicts herself as to the criticism that is currently on the board and in my opinion doesn't help. Quit blaming the coach and comparing other players (i.e. simpson) to the situation at hand. The kid plays good defense but has not had a good start to the season at the position he started it out. Does that mean he is not a gokd player? NO. Does that mean he cant improve? No. But quit making excuses for everything, even as an IU fan painter has a pretty good track record of having a fluent offense and that is clearly not the case with Eastern at the point so if he changes it up let painter do what he does and that is coach and take the emotion out of it which is probably impossible being a parent and not respond to everyone and when you do respond dont bait people. And i have an honest question if they become more fluent on offense with Eastern coming off of the bench wouldnt that be better than him playing out of position? My question is how does painter incorporate Edwards into an offense that works with the pieces that he has cause Edwards can score pretty much anyway but is the way he is scoring is it"worth the squeeze"

I will remind each poster that there are actually some posters here who actually are coaches and:eek:r refs or players at the division 1/2 levels. They actually are experts and actually know what they are talking about and actually can identify player faults.

However, there are many here that can't and some post with no knowledge at all with the lone purpose of annoying and harassing others.

I followed my son's high school and AAU basketball career and admit I still know very little about the game. The one thing I have learned is complaining about the refs never fixes their calls. I've followed my son's track career through 4 years of college and I admit I don't know everything. But there are many things I can see and flaws I can detect. However, I have realized my son listens more to his coaches and other teammates than my criticisms.

My point? There are experts here. Im not one of them. If you have a take or criticism make it respectfully. And don't use this board to say things you wouldn't say publically to someone's face. And treat everyone with respect even those you may not agree with or appreciate. No one person is better or worse than any other or more worthy of respect. And that goes for posters as well as players.

Quite frankly, I don't really care what anyone's "credentials" are on this board. This is an internet message board for heaven sakes. If you want recognition for your credentials, the free board on Gold & Black Illustrated.com should really not be what you hang your hat on.

Reactions: PUBV and cropper53
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT