ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel is not a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on "harassed continuously"? Now, let's talk about your son and how he embarrasses PU, and himself, every time he steps onto the track. You good with that? I know the answer to that already.
You just proved my point!

Last edited:
I agree with those who want to see jelly at the 4. He sees the floor well, can make the entry pass from there, can make back door cuts from there, can get more rebounds from there, and can still guard the other teams best player. Jelly has to be on the floor, I would just like to see him at the 4 for a few games and see how it works out.

Reactions: 3generboiler
Rationally I’m letting some of the fans get up under my skin none are worth it

Nojel looks like a deer in headlights when he has the ball. It’s like he’s never had a coach before, and grew up playing street ball. Like, organized ball is an issue, and apparently shooting instructors are an issue too.

I agree with those who want to see jelly at the 4. He sees the floor well, can make the entry pass from there, can make back door cuts from there, can get more rebounds from there, and can still guard the other teams best player. Jelly has to be on the floor, I would just like to see him at the 4 for a few games and see how it works out.
At this point whether he plays PG or not play him at the 2/3/4/5 don’t matter just involve him and others in the offense is my whole point. Just play to his strengths whether he takes a 3 point shot or not there are ways he can be utilized to help score points and that to me helps take so much pressure of carsen to free him up more and Cline. He sees the floor well he’s making pretty good decisions he’s finding the open shooters but he’s not getting any opportunities to do what he does best. He’s not gonna force nothing he’s gonna take what the defense gives him but just spread the offense out for other players that can create an offensive balance than Purdue can be the team I no they can be.

Play him at the 4 I’m ok with that just get him involved in the offense is my entire point. Change it up I’m all for it problably could work he gonna still make plays even if he playing at the 4. We need scoring from him to help this team win.

Nojel looks like a deer in headlights when he has the ball. It’s like he’s never had a coach before, and grew up playing street ball. Like, organized ball is an issue, and apparently shooting instructors are an issue too.
He looks like a deer in headlights ok playing street ball that is what you see you can do better than that. That’s an interesting comment

Treed, no one hates your son...or you. Losing brings out the worst in everyone and you know as you played in college, the PG is expected to be the best ball handler and distributor of said basketball on the floor. As I've said to this year, I don't care if Nojel scores a point as long as he doesn't allow his man to score one either.
I no I get it it’s ok life will still go on. My son is healthy playing the game of basketball he loves despite some of the criticism he gets for not being perfect yet some fans think they can do better if they were in his shoes. There is an old saying if people are constantly talking about you you must be doing something right. Its all good tho he not gonna make everybody happy.

I think every player should be open for criticism, or praise, on this board - regardless of whether a relative is posting or not.

But while I am not sure anyone is doing it right now, we do need to avoid the temptation to blame everything on one player, or even solely on the coach. The last I checked, basketball is a team sport, and while the coach or a key player can have a significant impact on whether a team wins or loses, there are other players and coaches involved as well.

Treed, you have every right - as everyone else does (including all the UL loonies over on the FB board) to post your opinions on here. But online fan forums can be a rough place when the team is not winning, and you cannot expect everyone here to share the same motherly love and support for your son when times are bad.

Like you, I don't always agree with everyone's assessments here. But that's the point. This is a place where we debate and argue - sometimes passionately. And there isn't a soul on this board who has not had their own sacred cows gored many times over the years.

I suggest that if you find the criticism too withering for your sensibilities, you take a hiatus on occasion - as I have done numerous times. You appear to be a fantastic mother, and no one here expects you to do or say anything that would compromise the unbridled support you give to your son - and his teammates.

But if you're going to get down in the mud with all of us in here, you need to understand that what we say - whether it is about you or your son - is not intended to be personal. Most of who post here are passionate Purdue fans who have very few productive outlets for our frustrations when the teams we love do not perform up to our expectations. And at times like that, tempers flare and relationships are strained. But agree or not with what is said, if you take any of this personally, then I suggest you step aside for awhile and let it go.

I say this, only because I honor you as a mother - who should not have to raise your blood pressure dealing with people who are not going to change their opinions - no matter how much one argues. Recognize that we value you as a special member of our community - and we all greatly appreciate your support. But as long as this remains a public forum, you need to be able to deal with what is said here, and try not to take it personally.

Best always,

Bob
Sir I read this entire post and you are on point and as a mother who loves her child dearly I will defend him like any mother would. I’ll never change the minds of fans not gonna try to that’s a waist of time I respond bcuz I have opinions too and it’s a shame some take this to heart like they walk in these athletes shoes and knows what goes on in the minds of 19 years old young adults and wanna criticize a player bcuz they didn’t play they way they expected them to play or make blame on a player when they loose. It’s a team sport they win and loose as a team. My son not perfect he’s gonna make mistakes we all have done so and will do so. To talk about a kid and say he isn’t this or that is just sad but I expect this type of reaction something I can handle. He’s a good kid never hurts nobody a model citizen and loving child that just want to play basketball and one day live out his dreams well no one will crush his dreams no matter who believes him or not his momma got his back who believes in him and will stand by her son no matter what others say about him our love is unconditional. Well said by the way definitely understand every word you said. Thanks for sharing your words

Im not mad at nojel or any player on our team, nor did i say he's the reason we lost the game. Good luck and hopefully he can make it to the nba though at this point i don't see it happening. I like Purdue players to make it to the nba but at the end of the day i root for Purdue, not any nba team.
Thanks sir no hard feelings from me either.

There are different degrees of being a deuce bag. There have been many posts criticizing Haarms, Grady, Evan and Carsen. Should we not criticize Nojel just because his mother posts on this board?

Something to think about. As a poster I've been called all sorts of names and harassed continuously. Should you treat TReed with respect but not other posters?
I’m a big girl I can handle what comes with me being on this site. I do not disrespect anybody However just pointing that out. I no my being here Nojel gets it more than others but hey it comes with the territory.

Nojel is not a PG, and Nojel will not play a single minute in the NBA. He is an asset that this team needs, and I hope he can learn to put some offense with his defense.
You feel good you got that off your chest. Hope what you say you feel better but it doesn’t matter what your opinion of him is the coach thinks differently. You no is is NBA material sitting behind a keyboard mr expert

So him not shooting the ball is the problem Purdue has lost these games. Look up how many shots zavier Simpson shoot it and how many he makes shooting 3s thus far this season,but he runs the hell out of that team the coach runs plays that utilizes his ability to get to the basket or pass to his open teammates. The coach runs it’s offense through his shooters his guys who can penetrate the lane by either attacking the basket or finding there open shooters none of that is happening right now not just for Nojel for Haarms,Evan and other players in this team you don’t see that. You can say what you want about my son it doesn’t matter but you have a fan opinions on what you think you no. You mad at a 19 year old bcuz he not shooting the ball and this is how you express your anger interesting. I no what is being said about Nojel opportunities to play at the next level that’s alll that matters.

Didn’t he have a scholarship offer to Michigan? Seems like Nojel choose the wrong school

giphy.gif

My opinion doesn't matter, but that doesn't make my observations incorrect. NBA execs are the ones whos opinions matter. I hope Nojel proves me wrong, but I give someone 10/1 odds on Nojel seeing the floor in a true NBA game. The competition for the league is fierce. Nojel is a good asset to our middle of the pack college team, but that's a far cry from the NBA.
Sir your opinion is duly noted again I no who I’m talking to so we can end this. Many ways others have made it to the next level those are facts. What are you gaining from trying to prove your point is what I’m trying to figure out. You don’t believe he has a shot in the NBA that’s fine that’s your opinion unless you are a scout a GM they may see something different. Either way His dreams are his and I’m gonna stand by my son and help him reach his full potential whether he gets there or not but your overly obsession to put him down seems like u have a dislike for a kid you nothing about personally but you judge him bcuz of what you see from him on the court. I get it you made your point have a bless day sir

Reactions: Cutter1973
Bruce Weber somehow figured out how to get Dee Brown and Deron Williams to play within the same offense. If only Matt Painter had his number.

I no I get it it’s ok life will still go on. My son is healthy playing the game of basketball he loves despite some of the criticism he gets for not being perfect yet some fans think they can do better if they were in his shoes. There is an old saying if people are constantly talking about you you must be doing something right. Its all good tho he not gonna make everybody happy.
And you and I both know he's never going to be perfect either. :)

Reactions: cropper53
Sir your opinion is duly noted again I no who I’m talking to so we can end this. Many ways others have made it to the next level those are facts. What are you gaining from trying to prove your point is what I’m trying to figure out. You don’t believe he has a shot in the NBA that’s fine that’s your opinion unless you are a scout a GM they may see something different. Either way His dreams are his and I’m gonna stand by my son and help him reach his full potential whether he gets there or not but your overly obsession to put him down seems like u have a dislike for a kid you nothing about personally but you judge him bcuz of what you see from him on the court. I get it you made your point have a bless day sir

The correct answer is know

How many shots did Simpson take or have taken this season yet mich coach use him in ways that plays to his strength he can’t really shoot either has nothing to do with my son not hitting shots has everything to do with him not being utilized the right way.
This is the greatest thread of any board ever!!! Are you seriously his mother? I have no idea who he is but I’m going to tune into the next Purdue game now just to see this kids J.

I am sorry but I have to say this. Painter recruited this kid but has no idea how to use his strengths.

I watched the game with someone who is a Pacers employee and he still says Nojel translates better than anyone else for the next level.
Let me guess, you’re the uncle of this kid?

This is the greatest thread of any board ever!!! Are you seriously his mother? I have no idea who he is but I’m going to tune into the next Purdue game now just to see this kids J.
Crapper, just a hunch, but I picture you lurking at high school and AAU games hoping recruits see you in your "We're Back " IU shirt to hope to sway them and also incessantly tweeting at recruits thinking your doing your part to land them. Am I close?

For those intent on explaining who and what cost PU the game today....let me explain it very simply: "You win as a team, and you lose as a team." That goes from the lowliest sub on the bench to the supposed Super Star Stud with Pro written all over him/her, and includes the guys in the suits for not being prepared. Meetchicken is one hell of a basketball team this year, and as someone said, "They'll beat PU 8 out of 10 times this year". So set back, put the cola in the glass, pour in your favorite booze and relax. Painter will get it fixed or Painter will eventually be gone...maybe it's time to sit those studs on the bench and start the lowly little practice players, while allowing the bench to speak to those being benched.
What a terrific concept:
"You win as a team, and you lose as a team."

I like it. Maybe this extraordinarily bad habit of attempting to identify the "weak link", the worst player, the guy who shouldn't be starting, etc. should stop. What do people think is going to happen? We can just replace the poor sap and then win every game? Well, it is... pretty much nonsense.

What game are you watching? I saw him bring the ball up against FSU and VT both applying some strong pressure. I think you are way off base here.

Reactions: 3generboiler
Crapper, just a hunch, but I picture you lurking at high school and AAU games hoping recruits see you in your "We're Back " IU shirt to hope to sway them and also incessantly tweeting at recruits thinking your doing your part to land them. Am I close?
I don’t tweet and I’ve never been to an aau game other than my cousins. You keep landing those kids ranked ranked out of the top 150 though super star!

I believe he is saying that Nojel isn't a PG not that Nojel isn't a good player. I like Nojel. However, people just sag off of him and he is somewhat turnover prone.

They sag off Ben Simmons too and he does fine. Yes, I know Ben Simmons is on another level, but the point is, a player with Nojel’s skill set can be a very effective PG/facilitator.

It’s on the coach to cater to his skill set and put Nojel in spots he can succeed in. Nojel should be in a high ball screen offense.

I don’t tweet and I’ve never been to an aau game other than my cousins. You keep landing those kids ranked ranked out of the top 150 though super star!
Lol. Superstar. I just root for who's on team. Would I like to get more higher rated guys? Sure. But it's out of my hands

Reactions: Zaphod_B
They sag off Ben Simmons too and he does fine. Yes, I know Ben Simmons is on another level, but the point is, a player with Nojel’s skill set can be a very effective PG/facilitator.

It’s on the coach to cater to his skill set and put Nojel in spots he can succeed in. Nojel should be in a high ball screen offense.
I looked him up. His shot looked decent in high school and when he declared for Purdue he came off as a good kid. He didn’t appear to be super athletic in the video I watched of him though.

What a terrific concept:
"You win as a team, and you lose as a team."

I like it. Maybe this extraordinarily bad habit of attempting to identify the "weak link", the worst player, the guy who shouldn't be starting, etc. should stop. What do people think is going to happen? We can just replace the poor sap and then win every game? Well, it is... pretty much nonsense.
I'm so happy that the expert of all experts has spoken regarding my post. I'll take it to heart and try to be more like you! Not.

Reactions: mathboy

You are right play to his strengths than you could see better offensive results.

We are probably a top 20 offensive team. The team defense is probably totally opposite and has to get better in order for results. Purdue has always been known for D and as a team needs to get better. We should be better on defense for sure....

I'm so happy that the expert of all experts has spoken regarding my post. I'll take it to heart and try to be more like you! Not.
You might have taken my post wrong. I am very supportive of your position and agree entirely with your statement "You win as a team, and you lose as a team." The idea that there is some mysterious player sitting at the end of the bench that can recue the team is nonsense. You don't go down that path, but instead pint out the fallacy of that thinking.

Painter doesnt run offense for him, because he cant score. Plain and simple. If he had the ability to score, painter would run offense for him.

As I said, Nojel isnt the only reason we lost, but he is certainly part of the reason.
Hold on, can't we run more pick and rolls for him to get to the basket? He has incredible speed and can finish close to the rim. Defense's don't respect his shot but they have to guard him when he is driving. At the very least he can force some breakdowns and hit an open man for a shot. I've already seen NE do this with some success this year, and you can run CE as a distraction since we are always running plays for him. Can someone tell me why this isn't a good idea?

Hold on, can't we run more pick and rolls for him to get to the basket? He has incredible speed and can finish close to the rim. Defense's don't respect his shot but they have to guard him when he is driving. At the very least he can force some breakdowns and hit an open man for a shot. I've already seen NE do this with some success this year, and you can run CE as a distraction since we are always running plays for him. Can someone tell me why this isn't a good idea?
If CMP thought it was a good idea, he would be doing it. Maybe Nojel hasn't shown the ability to do it consistently in practice. There is a reason Painter isn't running any offense for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT