ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel is not a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he gets beat off the dribble a few times and missed a few assignments on defense now it’s hia fault we lost we’re there others on the floor that got beaten too. So he the reason we lost by 20 is that what you saying just asking. Aren’t there 4 other players in the game that has to play defense too but nojel is the only one you say Simpson beat off the dribble a few times and he missed a few defensive assignments I get it now. It’s all good I gotcha

I will only say this once, and feel free to ignore me. I don't think it makes sense for players families to post on fan message boards. There's a reason the parents of the other 12 players don't do it. I know it's frustrating to read negative comments about your son, and very tempting to respond... But only bad things can come from it.

Best of luck to you and NE this year and beyond.

I will only say this once, and feel free to ignore me. I don't think it makes sense for players families to post on fan message boards. There's a reason the parents of the other 12 players don't do it. I know it's frustrating to read negative comments about your son, and very tempting to respond... But only bad things can come from it.

Best of luck to you and NE this year and beyond.
I truly understand

So he gets beat off the dribble a few times and missed a few assignments on defense now it’s hia fault we lost we’re there others on the floor that got beaten too. So he the reason we lost by 20 is that what you saying just asking. Aren’t there 4 other players in the game that has to play defense too but nojel is the only one you say Simpson beat off the dribble a few times and he missed a few defensive assignments I get it now. It’s all good I gotcha
didn't suggest or imply that he is responsible for the loss. Just pointing out areas he can improve. But I understand your response.

He is our best ball handler and most trustworthy.
I personally prefer Nojel as a cutter. He has good vision and elite athleticism. If he wasn't handling the ball he is more likely to shake the defender and cut toward the rim and then finish above the defenders or spread the ball out to an open shooter. Being the PG makes it hard to shake defenders because you are the focus since he is on the ball.

He ain’t the issue the offense being ran is the issue he’s only being told to run the offense and many of you don’t see that yet Simpson can’t shoot either but mich coach utilizes all his players in there offense. Mich coach run plays for each of his players and plays to each players strengths. Simpson not a shooter either yet he has screens set for him to get to the basket or finding his teammates for open shots and yet you say bcuz he isn’t shooting the ball is causing Purdue to loose that’s totally stupid. How many t/o did he have what did he do that caused Purdue to loose by 20 nojel not the only one on this team yet you wanna blame it on him for the team lack of scoring interesting.
Unfortunately you are the one who told us his offense would be so much better this year. You said he was working hard on this and that and had a coach helping him. Maybe it's you putting unrealistic expectations on your son? I know from reading your posts many people including myself expected more from him offensively so far.

You posted several times Nojel was a more open floor type of player. He has had chances to do today after a steal and didn't take it to the hole. Maybe his confidence is not where it needs to be. Just to be clear, Nojel was not the reason the game was lost today.

Maybe some should quit waiting for a certain play to be run for Nojel to be able to score. Maybe just maybe he should take it to the rack when he gets the chance going forward.

Unfortunately you are the one who told us his offense would be so much better this year. You said he was working hard on this and that and had a coach helping him. Maybe it's you putting unrealistic expectations on your son? I know from reading your posts many people including myself expected more from him offensively so far.

You posted several times Nojel was a more open floor type of player. He has had chances to do today after a steal and didn't take it to the hole. Maybe his confidence is not where it needs to be. Just to be clear, Nojel was not the reason the game was lost today.

Maybe some should quit waiting for a certain play to be run for Nojel to be able to score. Maybe just maybe he should take it to the rack when he gets the chance going forward.
I am sorry but I have to say this. Painter recruited this kid but has no idea how to use his strengths.

I watched the game with someone who is a Pacers employee and he still says Nojel translates better than anyone else for the next level.

He is our best ball handler and most trustworthy.
In my years of coaching, I measure the effectiveness of ball handlers by the traditional A/TO ratio.

Here are our best ball handlers, to date:
A/TO A TO A/Min Player
3.75 15 4 0.129 Hunter
2.20 11 5 0.059 Eifert
2.00 26 13 0.097 Cline
1.36 15 11 0.072 Eastern
1.00 32 32 0.127 Edwards

With that said, I think it's pretty clear that our best "ball handler" is Hunter. Not only is his A/TO ratio far above everyone else's, and above Cline's and P.J.'s last year, but he doles out assists at a faster rate than either Carsen or Cline. In addition, Hunter is also doling out assists at slightly above our gold standard from last season, Dakota Mathias (0.126 A/Min, 146 A in 1161 min.)

Nojel is showing improvement over last year (0.975 A/TO), which is expected, but he is not quite up to his A/Min rate from last season (0.084), at least not yet. Some of that has to do with the fact that last year he had much better shooters who converted his passes to assists, so I would not be too concerned about his A/Min rate this year.

IMHO, once Hunter can get his FG% and 3G% up, he should be our starting PG.

JMHOAU

I am sorry but I have to say this. Painter recruited this kid but has no idea how to use his strengths.

I watched the game with someone who is a Pacers employee and he still says Nojel translates better than anyone else for the next level.
I don’t watch the NBA, but I’m guessing you have to be able to shoot beyond 5 feet to play in the league unless you’re built like Haas. I love NE, but he need some serious work on his shot.

Lol. He needs to be on the floor. His ceiling is arguably the greatest out of them all IMO....if Painter drops the "get Carsen the ball and everyone stand around" approach....Nojel, Carsen, Cline, Wheeler, Haarms. Every game it just feels like our boys are on leashes out there, playing at 80% of their natural talent.

I'd love to see Painter run more plays when he's off the ball.. moving and getting hit for slashes and floaters. I imagine a young lebron type of game (no I'm not comparing them) where he gets some easier buckets and to the line more and basically plays 1-4 if needed. Also for some reason I don't know if Painter knows how to use a PG that isn't a pass/facilitator smaller sized guard that causes chaos when he's running around in the paint. As I watched Simpson use his speed to drive and suck people in and dish it back out it reminded me of LewJack/PJ.

I don’t watch the NBA, but I’m guessing you have to be able to shoot beyond 5 feet to play in the league unless you’re built like Haas. I love NE, but he need some serious work on his shot.
Can I ask you a question him not making shots is that causing Purdue to loose. All noje is required to do as this years PG is to run the offense only. There are only few plays ran for him and others. If Nojel suddenly just go out do what he wanted to do jacking up shots or forcing things many will say he’s doing to much won’t you. He hasn’t forgotten how to play basketball he’s not being put in position to play to his strengths that is what I see. Shooting is just 1 part of basketball but he can do more but tell me what kinda offense or plays is being ran for him Couple post plays today one he scored was called for foul on the other that is it. There are many guys in the league right now that cannot shoot at all and some play the PG position. Zaire Smith was a 1st round pick not bcuz of his offense but bcuz of his defense and athleticism not bcuz he shots lights out based on potential. 6”7 that can guard 4 positions that is athletic quick has great vision with. 6”9 wing span that in the last several games he either getting steals deflection having opposing teams turning the ball over and doing a darn good job guarding teams better players and holding those players less than there average there is always a place in the league for a player like that.

can we end this experiment! hilarious he declared for NBA last year.. hell I might declare this year!
giphy.gif

How the heck is going to score against nba players when he can't score in college? Or shoot from 3 in the nba when the line is further out?
So him not shooting the ball is the problem Purdue has lost these games. Look up how many shots zavier Simpson shoot it and how many he makes shooting 3s thus far this season,but he runs the hell out of that team the coach runs plays that utilizes his ability to get to the basket or pass to his open teammates. The coach runs it’s offense through his shooters his guys who can penetrate the lane by either attacking the basket or finding there open shooters none of that is happening right now not just for Nojel for Haarms,Evan and other players in this team you don’t see that. You can say what you want about my son it doesn’t matter but you have a fan opinions on what you think you no. You mad at a 19 year old bcuz he not shooting the ball and this is how you express your anger interesting. I no what is being said about Nojel opportunities to play at the next level that’s alll that matters.

Purdue has played 8 games a lot of basketballl to be played

So him not shooting the ball is the problem Purdue has lost these games. Look up how many shots zavier Simpson shoot it and how many he makes shooting 3s thus far this season,but he runs the hell out of that team the coach runs plays that utilizes his ability to get to the basket or pass to his open teammates. The coach runs it’s offense through his shooters his guys who can penetrate the lane by either attacking the basket or finding there open shooters none of that is happening right now not just for Nojel for Haarms,Evan and other players in this team you don’t see that. You can say what you want about my son it doesn’t matter but you have a fan opinions on what you think you no. You mad at a 19 year old bcuz he not shooting the ball and this is how you express your anger interesting. I no what is being said about Nojel opportunities to play at the next level that’s alll that matters.
Zavier Simpson gets 6 ast/gm. He isnt a complete liability on offense.

Hate to burst your bubble here, but Williams can't even make it down the floor after 5 minutes. Haarms needs to start and we need to get him into the offense. Someone needs to light a fire under him.
Novel concept after 7 months to prepare for this season...never mind, how exactly do you "get him into the offense" when he can't make a basket in the lane unless he is not guarded? The guy has zero game in the post...he not only has not improved from a year ago, he may have even gotten worse.

I do agree it's a bad idea for parents of players to be on message boards since it's a place for people to vent after a loss whether they are right or wrong in their analysis.
That being said, Miss Treed is on here and I think posters should treat her with respect and not keep pushing her buttons and acting like d-bags. It's ok to point out what you think of player but sometimes some posters just try to get a rise out of her because they know she'll respond

There are different degrees of being a deuce bag. There have been many posts criticizing Haarms, Grady, Evan and Carsen. Should we not criticize Nojel just because his mother posts on this board?

Something to think about. As a poster I've been called all sorts of names and harassed continuously. Should you treat TReed with respect but not other posters?

Im not mad at nojel or any player on our team, nor did i say he's the reason we lost the game. Good luck and hopefully he can make it to the nba though at this point i don't see it happening. I like Purdue players to make it to the nba but at the end of the day i root for Purdue, not any nba team.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
There are different degrees of being a deuce bag. There have been many posts criticizing Haarms, Grady, Evan and Carsen. Should we not criticize Nojel just because his mother posts on this board?

Something to think about. As a poster I've been called all sorts of names and harassed continuously. Should you treat TReed with respect but not other posters?

Come on "harassed continuously"? Now, let's talk about your son and how he embarrasses PU, and himself, every time he steps onto the track. You good with that? I know the answer to that already.

I think every player should be open for criticism, or praise, on this board - regardless of whether a relative is posting or not.

But while I am not sure anyone is doing it right now, we do need to avoid the temptation to blame everything on one player, or even solely on the coach. The last I checked, basketball is a team sport, and while the coach or a key player can have a significant impact on whether a team wins or loses, there are other players and coaches involved as well.

Treed, you have every right - as everyone else does (including all the UL loonies over on the FB board) to post your opinions on here. But online fan forums can be a rough place when the team is not winning, and you cannot expect everyone here to share the same motherly love and support for your son when times are bad.

Like you, I don't always agree with everyone's assessments here. But that's the point. This is a place where we debate and argue - sometimes passionately. And there isn't a soul on this board who has not had their own sacred cows gored many times over the years.

I suggest that if you find the criticism too withering for your sensibilities, you take a hiatus on occasion - as I have done numerous times. You appear to be a fantastic mother, and no one here expects you to do or say anything that would compromise the unbridled support you give to your son - and his teammates.

But if you're going to get down in the mud with all of us in here, you need to understand that what we say - whether it is about you or your son - is not intended to be personal. Most of who post here are passionate Purdue fans who have very few productive outlets for our frustrations when the teams we love do not perform up to our expectations. And at times like that, tempers flare and relationships are strained. But agree or not with what is said, if you take any of this personally, then I suggest you step aside for awhile and let it go.

I say this, only because I honor you as a mother - who should not have to raise your blood pressure dealing with people who are not going to change their opinions - no matter how much one argues. Recognize that we value you as a special member of our community - and we all greatly appreciate your support. But as long as this remains a public forum, you need to be able to deal with what is said here, and try not to take it personally.

Best always,

Bob

For those intent on explaining who and what cost PU the game today....let me explain it very simply: "You win as a team, and you lose as a team." That goes from the lowliest sub on the bench to the supposed Super Star Stud with Pro written all over him/her, and includes the guys in the suits for not being prepared. Meetchicken is one hell of a basketball team this year, and as someone said, "They'll beat PU 8 out of 10 times this year". So set back, put the cola in the glass, pour in your favorite booze and relax. Painter will get it fixed or Painter will eventually be gone...maybe it's time to sit those studs on the bench and start the lowly little practice players, while allowing the bench to speak to those being benched.

Haters gonna hate
Treed, no one hates your son...or you. Losing brings out the worst in everyone and you know as you played in college, the PG is expected to be the best ball handler and distributor of said basketball on the floor. As I've said to this year, I don't care if Nojel scores a point as long as he doesn't allow his man to score one either.

Treed, no one hates your son...or you. Losing brings out the worst in everyone and you know as you played in college, the PG is expected to be the best ball handler and distributor of said basketball on the floor. As I've said to this year, I don't care if Nojel scores a point as long as he doesn't allow his man to score one either.
Still think they are focusing on wrong player.

I think every player should be open for criticism, or praise, on this board - regardless of whether a relative is posting or not.

But while I am not sure anyone is doing it right now, we do need to avoid the temptation to blame everything on one player, or even solely on the coach. The last I checked, basketball is a team sport, and while the coach or a key player can have a significant impact on whether a team wins or loses, there are other players and coaches involved as well.

Treed, you have every right - as everyone else does (including all the UL loonies over on the FB board) to post your opinions on here. But online fan forums can be a rough place when the team is not winning, and you cannot expect everyone here to share the same motherly love and support for your son when times are bad.

Like you, I don't always agree with everyone's assessments here. But that's the point. This is a place where we debate and argue - sometimes passionately. And there isn't a soul on this board who has not had their own sacred cows gored many times over the years.

I suggest that if you find the criticism too withering for your sensibilities, you take a hiatus on occasion - as I have done numerous times. You appear to be a fantastic mother, and no one here expects you to do or say anything that would compromise the unbridled support you give to your son - and his teammates.

But if you're going to get down in the mud with all of us in here, you need to understand that what we say - whether it is about you or your son - is not intended to be personal. Most of who post here are passionate Purdue fans who have very few productive outlets for our frustrations when the teams we love do not perform up to our expectations. And at times like that, tempers flare and relationships are strained. But agree or not with what is said, if you take any of this personally, then I suggest you step aside for awhile and let it go.

I say this, only because I honor you as a mother - who should not have to raise your blood pressure dealing with people who are not going to change their opinions - no matter how much one argues. Recognize that we value you as a special member of our community - and we all greatly appreciate your support. But as long as this remains a public forum, you need to be able to deal with what is said here, and try not to take it personally.

Best always,

Bob
I agree that all players are open to criticism. I was just speaking of the ones that have an agenda with her.

Our current offense is a shoot the ball once you cross half court, and pray your teammates rebound. Until we actually run an offense, it doesn't really matter who starts. We have been spoiled in the past with 4-5 guys that could drop 20 on any given night. We don't have that anymore. There is no production out of our 1,4,5. We are gonna be sitting ducks until someone steps up consistantly as a 3rd and 4th scorer. Some of our better sets have been when Carsen has been on the bench, because the ball moves. I believe Painter will get things figured out, it might take a little time and confidence from the younger guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT