ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel in the transfer portal

This means IT and Morton will run the point next year. That can be good. We won’t have as good a defense, but we may be much more dangerous offensively. We will miss his rebounding size.
I
This transfer might say something about either Kaufman or Ingram coming in. It certainly changes the open scholarship picture.
I’ve seen this mentioned in a few spots. I don’t see how this could mean anything recruiting-wise. Wish it did... But the 2020 is all sewn up, (I would think.) And Jelly wasn’t ever taking up a 2021 scholarship that may or may not go to an Ingram or Kaufman.

Related note... Man, I would love to see either or both of those two take the top off Mackey one day.

IT will never defend anywhere close to Nojel.

No, but he can score so doesn't bog down the offensive end, so the point swing might be better than Nojel. That was always the biggest issue with Nojel, yeah, he could pretty much shut down the teams top player, but that player was still going to out score Nojel, plus Nojel would have a negative effect on everyone else's offense because you didn't have to guard him.

If you needed a stop, yes, you wanted Nojel in the game, but rest of the game, his contribution is very much debatable because of his often negative effect on the offensive end.

Are you implying that he's leaving because of fans' criticisms on message boards? If that's the case, that's even more reason why I don't want him back.

That being said, he gone. He tweeted "Thank you Purdue". See ya.

I have posted repeatedly that if you went to Purdue and graduated you should be smart enough to criticize a player without being nasty.

However, this time I am posting about those who seem to be happy he is leaving and writing nasty things that a Purdue graduate should not write about a good kid who gave his all. I am saying he is a valuable player and this team needs him. If he comes back, those criticizing him should be embarassed and back off. If a poster wants to be a man and say it to his face or post his real name then that is fine. I don't like posters who are brave when no one knows who they are.

BTW, I enjoyed his mother's posts. She gave an insight into the team that was appreciated. We disagreed at times, but she was brave enough to post who she was. And I found her to be knowledgable about basketball.

How does speculating on a player's transfer impact that player's life? Surely you don't think players listen to what is suggested on a free message board. Nojel seemed like an obvious transfer candidate from about the second semester on. I don't believe speculating on that is at all out of line.

thank you

You would have to look long and hard for any player that could defend like Eastern. He was perhaps the best in the BIG. Somehow, 9 teams finished above us without a defender like Nojel. Amazing.

excellent post

So, there are 5 starting positions covered by 4 classes. That means each class should contribute 1.2 starters. Sasha will start this coming year. Nojel started 3 years, and Haarms started for two Half seasons. Sounds like we are running about average with the 2017 class. Your concerns are noted, and I sort of think they are misplaced.

You seem to want to find some way of twisting this into a criticism of Coach Painter. I think this falls on the kids not developing to their own expectations. That is a personal issue, and one they controlled. The opportunities were there, but not everyone cab take full advantage.
So many things wrong with this post.

1. Nojel didn’t start for 3 years.

2. I’m not at all sure how you came up with “each class should produce 1.25 starters on the team”. That’s just dumb. How many times in his career has Painter started more than 1 freshman? I’m guessing maybe one or two seasons and they probably weren’t good seasons. Painter has historically gotten old and stayed old. Those older guys generally start, and are the difference makers. Haarms and Nojel leaving takes away our only two seniors. The remaining players from the 2017 class are a role player and a bust.

3. Being a starter doesn’t mean you aren’t a bust. They were carried by Carsen last year and this year they were starters on a bad team. Wheeler has also started during his career and he is a bust.

4. Painter is responsible for who he recruits. The 2017 class had a 4* and three 3* players. If Painter has done a better job recruiting, and landed three 4* and only one 3*, we may be having a different discussion. Regardless, Painter is solely responsible for who he brings into his program.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Am thinking the same thing.

And quite honestly NE leaving is a bit "back stabby" to me because a lot people wanted him to succeed at Purdue and defended him (and his mom) and then he ups and leaves. I won't miss the division caused on this forum and his defense, but I won't miss his non-existent shot. And let's be honest, if he didn't develop one in the three years of being here, he isn't going to get one magically overnight.

I mean right now I could drink a case of beer and go out and have an equal to or better 3 point percentage than him. Yeah that is a jaded comment, but still.

I am also beginning to think that there WAS some turmoil in the locker room last year and it may of had a 3 headed monster. We will see if Wheeler leaves or not but usually when there is smoke like this, there is fire.

And pandemic or not, turns out redshirting Gillis and Newman was a downright brilliant move by Painter because they should be able to more than fill the gaps and the players leaving probably see that as well. As others have mentioned, there is no way with the talent coming in that NE's minutes wouldn't reduce.

This is a clear case of addition by subtraction. First NE puts his name in the NBA portal, then the transfer portal and personally after what has happened here lately, I think he is doing it off of some very bad advice.

Oh well. Move on and up.
Sounds like the NBA feedback probably was...not good.

I think college basketball is only getting tougher -- and you've had a good take. This is a roster with a lot of fish that all can't play.

As you mentioned, to plan out for these class rotations you see is incredibly difficult and somehow we've managed to do it in a pretty good way.

On your last point, I think it's still incredibly hard not to have peaks and valleys, especially a program like a Purdue that's just not up there in terms of being able to compete with top tier programs that just have more. I mean hell, look at UNC - that's a team loaded with talent and they had a worse record than us (14-19) in a much worse conference.

Turnover is a tough battle, and you have it naturally - as we saw with 4 graduating seniors a few years ago. And you see it with simple roster turnover - NBA departures or transfers (Maryland won the Big Ten then saw 4 guys transfer, Illinois had their best season in years and lost 2 transfers).

There's a reason there's only 10 teams that have made the NCAA Tournament 5 years in a row (Purdue continues! ha). The company we keep is: Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, UNC, Villanova, Kentucky, UVA and Purdue.

You can be the most established coach and still deal with turnover and teams not gelling. Very extreme example, but Duke hasn't made a Final Four in the last 5 seasons. Last year, they had 3 Top 10 picks - and couldn't make the Final Four. The year before, 2 Top 10, 3 first rounders, no Final Four.

Last year's Purdue team was after 2 years of major turnover - four senior starters 2 years before, then lost the 2 leading scorers the next year. This team just didn't click and sometimes you have that. But if our down year is a bubble team for the NCAA Tournament..it could be a lot worse.
I don't disagree with anything that you have said, and, college basketball is about to get A LOT more difficult with respect to recruiting if the new transfer proposal and NIL proposal are both approved.

My only issue with the Purdue model is that it is too difficult to have the class balance issues that it has had and have genuine sustained success, never mind elite success.

A stellar class of Hummel, Johnson, Martin and Moore...and then some classes in between that never rounded it out or added to it...great success with them...back to last place in the conference after them...then a stellar class with Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson (that he was able to add to in subsequent years and was on the verge of great success because of it), but, those two guys that were the difference makers both left early and a 10th place finish in the conference followed...a really nice class coming in with the redshirts included...but, what happens while it is there to prevent a 10th place or last place finish when it moves on?

Purdue had a 4-man class with those first two that it had to replace ultimately, and, it now has a 5-man class that it will have to do the same with...it was already difficult as we agreed to do that...it is going to be more difficult...either way, it is not a good model for a program like Purdue in my mind.

Off-topic relative to this specific matter, but, it does not look good either for a developmental program when two guys that contributed from Day one leave the program just before their final year in it...their lack of development says more about them than Purdue to me admittedly, but, it does not look good regardless...and, it is bad optics to have guys like that bail on the program...again, says a lot about them, but, it is concerning for Purdue's/Painter's sake as well...not a lot of programs that see guys that were contributors to the extent either of those guys were and in captain/leadership roles bail before their final year...that said, given where the one ended up and the other is likely to, that again says a lot about each of them as individuals.

Reactions: purduepat1969
As much criticism I see on this board of NE’s offense, I’m more concerned that our coaching staff watched his form for 3 years and was unable to correct it. If nothing else, the hitch in his free throws should have been an easy fix.

best of luck to him but I’m definitely not sad about this one....
I'm sad about it. He's a good kid and a great teammate. He never embarrassed Purdue and he played hard for 3 years.

It makes me sad because he's a Boiler. He's part of our team. The fact that he felt he had to leave to find something he wasn't getting here is disheartening.

Is anyone going to wake up and see that Haarms and Eastern aren’t the problem here?

I know, don’t criticize Painter ever for anything right? He does a lot of good things for sure, but see this for what it is
His 2017 recruiting class was simply not good enough. That’s the extent of my blaming CMP.

Reactions: PurduePete98
I'm sad about it. He's a good kid and a great teammate. He never embarrassed Purdue and he played hard for 3 years.

It makes me sad because he's a Boiler. He's part of our team. The fact that he felt he had to leave to find something he wasn't getting here is disheartening.
Yep. This is how I viewed the Haarms transfer as well.

So many things wrong with this post.

1. Nojel didn’t start for 3 years.

2. I’m not at all sure how you came up with “each class should produce 1.25 starters on the team”. That’s just dumb. How many times in his career has Painter started more than 1 freshman? I’m guessing maybe one or two seasons and they probably weren’t good seasons. Painter has historically gotten old and stayed old. Those older guys generally start, and are the difference makers. Haarms and Nojel leaving takes away our only two seniors. The remaining players from the 2017 class are a role player and a bust.

3. Being a starter doesn’t mean you aren’t a bust. They were carried by Carsen last year and this year they were starters on a bad team. Wheeler has also started during his career and he is a bust.

4. Painter is responsible for who he recruits. The 2017 class had a 4* and three 3* players. If Painter has done a better job recruiting, and landed three 4* and only one 3*, we may be having a different discussion. Regardless, Painter is solely responsible for who he brings into his program.
In my defense, I am heavily drugged at the moment. I have slipped a vertebrae (not a disk) out of place. The drugs help but only to some extent. I’ll try to do better, however, I can’t promise you I will be all that diplomatic. I hope you will make alliances. We are all boilermakers.

I misspoke. The average should be 1.2 starters per class, not 1.25 as I posted earlier. (That’s bad for some one who calls himself “mathboy”). Hopefully I didn’t confuse you. What I meant was that any given year in a well balanced program, you hope for one great kid that stands out and can start. That means about one kid per class starts, right? It seems like the 2017 class did it’s job. Not outstanding as a whole, but not terrible.

you are correct. Nojel didn’t start his freshman year. I could have sworn he did, but you are right, P J Thompson was still playing.

You can be a starter one year, and get replaced the next. That doesn’t mean you are a bust either. In this sport, there is always somebody quicker, better, faster. If joins your team, you lose the starting position.

a players development depends on how much work he puts in between seasons. I know there was some grumbling that some of the guys rested on their E8 from last year and didn’t do the hard work. We saw that translate into mediocre performance on court this past year. That’s on the players. Too much time spent listening to music at mommas place trying to find ones inner peace instead of being in the gym working on a good jump shot, I think.

it was the four star player you are calling a bust, by the way. Not sure that failure falls on Painter, although your catch all argument is handy. It does remove the need for objectIve and detailed thinking if you just say Painter is responsible for everything and leave it at that.

Last edited:
In my defense, I am heavily drugged at the moment. I have slipped a vertebrae (not a disk) out of place. The drugs help but only to some extent. I’ll try to do better, however, I can’t promise you I will be all that diplomatic. I hope you will make alliances. We are all boilermakers.

I misspoke. The average should be 1.2 starters per class, not 1.25 as I posted earlier. (That’s bad for some one who calls himself “mathboy”). Hopefully I didn’t confuse you. What I meant was that any given year in a well balanced program, you hope for one great kid that stands out and can start. That means about one kid per class starts, right? It seems like the 2017 class did it’s job. Not outstanding as a whole, but not terrible.

you are correct. Nojel didn’t start his freshman year. I could have sworn he did, but you are right, P J Thompson was still playing.

You can be a starter one year, and get replaced the next. That doesn’t mean you are a bust either. In this sport, there is always somebody quicker, better, faster. If joins your team, you lose the starting position.

a players development depends on how much work he puts in between seasons. I know there was some grumbling that some of the guys rested on their E8 from last year and didn’t do the hard work. We saw that translate into mediocre performance on court this past year. That’s on the players. Too much time spent listening to music at mommas place trying to find ones inner peace instead of being in the gym working on a good jump shoot, I think.

it was the four star player you are calling a bust, by the way. Not sure that failure falls on Painter, although your catch all argument is handy. It does remove the need for object and detailed thinking if you just say Painter is responsible for everything and leave it at that.
I’m sorry buddy. Hope you get better.

Reactions: Inspector100
Smart move on his part. Has to sit out a year transferring. A year there may not even be basketball. Now he's guaranteed his Senior Year. Now if he's smart enough to ditch the "I'm right handed but want to shoot with my left hand" schtick, he'll be alright

Chris Kramer has something to say......

This is just an example why no one should have ever compared Nojel to Kramer.

1. Kramer could score just chose not to , because he knew his role. When called upon he could hit a 3 when needed. Nojel could not.

2. Kramer’s mom was only loud at the games and never was on a message board bashing Purdue’s offense and repeatedly defending her son.

3. Kramer was a true leader that players followed

4, When Kramer shot a basketball he looked like a D1 guard. When Nojel shot a basketball it looked like a HS wrestler shooting.

5. When Painter brought in talent Kramer worked hard each summer to improve his game and make his weaknesses better. Nojel did not.

a players development depends on how much work he puts in between seasons. I know there was some grumbling that some of the guys rested on their E8 from last year and didn’t do the hard work. We saw that translate into mediocre performance on court this past year. That’s on the players. Too much time spent listening to music at mommas place trying to find ones inner peace instead of being in the gym working on a good jump shoot, I think.

it was the four star player you are calling a bust, by the way. Not sure that failure falls on Painter, although your catch all argument is handy. It does remove the need for object and detailed thinking if you just say Painter is responsible for everything and leave it at that.
I hope you get to feeling better soon!

We can agree to disagree on the 2017 class. FWIW 2018, 2019, 2020, and even 2021 seem to be steps in the right direction. I don’t think those players will be old enough or experienced enough to make the tournament next year, but we should be dangerous again for a long time after next season.

Why do people keep comparing Haarms and Eastern - Haarms graduated and is a Purdue alum. Haarms will be with us always as a Purdue alum. That is very, very different than transferring in your senior year.
Whatever, I feel like Haarms bailed and quit on the team big time. He is an alum and graduated - that is nice - but he still quit when he could have been a major contributor next season. Nojel on the other hand likely was going to have his minutes diminish even further unless he made significant improvements to his offensive game. So Nojel transferring makes more sense to me and I don't feel like he really quit on the team, but made the right decision for what would be best for him. I think Morton will be the starting PG by mid-season.

I am sad about this. Just was always hoping Nojel would find his jump shot consistently so that he could have been more of an offensive threat. Loved his defense and his effort. If he could have been as good on offense as he was on defense, he would be a beast. Sorry to see him leave early, but I do think without a major improvement to his game, his minutes may have been around 20 minutes a game at most next season. Haarms leaving sort of made me mad, Nojel leaving just makes me sad, he was one of my favorites.

As much criticism I see on this board of NE’s offense, I’m more concerned that our coaching staff watched his form for 3 years and was unable to correct it. If nothing else, the hitch in his free throws should have been an easy fix.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The same can be said about players whose self image is far different than reality especially if a dominant voice is whispering bad advice. You can lead a poor shooter to a coach but you can't make him listen if he doesn't want to.

I guess now we know for certain why we struggled this past year - the “leaders” of the team were soft.

when things got tough, they quit. They put their personal ambitions above the team.

As an aside, I think about these transfers differently after watching the Jordan documentary, seeing him get all emotional about caring so much and pushing others to be great. Made me think of Rafael Davis.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

We can agree to disagree on the 2017 class. FWIW 2018, 2019, 2020, and even 2021 seem to be steps in the right direction. I don’t think those players will be old enough or experienced enough to make the tournament next year, but we should be dangerous again for a long time after next season.
Thanks! This back pain is for the birds!

you may be right about the 2017’s yet, but I. Just not ready to make that call. We both agree that what’s walking in the front door maybe much better than what’s walking out the back.

Reactions: PurduePete98
Loved watching when Eastern put on that Purdue hat against MSU, Michigan, etc. Oh welll, I hope he goes and does cool shit in the MAC.

I have no problemo with the MAC. If he feels he can get to pro bball there, so be it.

I hope that everyone who has written a negative post about Nojel or his mother will take a pledge not to make any more negative posts about him, if we are fortunate enough to invite him back and he accepts.
I believe the chance of him being on teh Purdue team is very small. However, I agree that Nojel or another does not need personal attacks as a person based upon a sport.

He seems to be a good person and has represented Purdue well, and for that I'm appreciative. I hope he and Haarms reach their goals. Those two seeking greener pastures are a reflection of society in general, but that is a whole another thread. I wish them well and hope to hear good things from them, but I'm a Purdue fan and Purdue is my focus.

Those two leaving make Purdue very young as previous mentioned and that alone will limit the potential of Purdue this year. However, seeing all the new faces, learning all their skill sets and how they respond to adversity will make this year very enjoyable. I look for fierce competition in practice, silly fouls, unforced errors and a bit more individual play as each is trying to find his spot and role within the new team. Guessing in what I think Purdue will have I hope Wheeler makes a big step forward and Dow or Edey can provide solid minutes since those two things together with the new faces could make Purdue pretty good I believe.

Good luck Matt Haarms. Good Luck Nojel Eastern. Bring on the Boilers...I'm ready

Why do people keep comparing Haarms and Eastern - Haarms graduated and is a Purdue alum. Haarms will be with us always as a Purdue alum. That is very, very different than transferring in your senior year.
Although very different academically, they are very similar in thinking they were held back at Purdue and that a new scene will allow them to shine.

I don't disagree with anything that you have said, and, college basketball is about to get A LOT more difficult with respect to recruiting if the new transfer proposal and NIL proposal are both approved.

My only issue with the Purdue model is that it is too difficult to have the class balance issues that it has had and have genuine sustained success, never mind elite success.

A stellar class of Hummel, Johnson, Martin and Moore...and then some classes in between that never rounded it out or added to it...great success with them...back to last place in the conference after them...then a stellar class with Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson (that he was able to add to in subsequent years and was on the verge of great success because of it), but, those two guys that were the difference makers both left early and a 10th place finish in the conference followed...a really nice class coming in with the redshirts included...but, what happens while it is there to prevent a 10th place or last place finish when it moves on?

Purdue had a 4-man class with those first two that it had to replace ultimately, and, it now has a 5-man class that it will have to do the same with...it was already difficult as we agreed to do that...it is going to be more difficult...either way, it is not a good model for a program like Purdue in my mind.

Off-topic relative to this specific matter, but, it does not look good either for a developmental program when two guys that contributed from Day one leave the program just before their final year in it...their lack of development says more about them than Purdue to me admittedly, but, it does not look good regardless...and, it is bad optics to have guys like that bail on the program...again, says a lot about them, but, it is concerning for Purdue's/Painter's sake as well...not a lot of programs that see guys that were contributors to the extent either of those guys were and in captain/leadership roles bail before their final year...that said, given where the one ended up and the other is likely to, that again says a lot about each of them as individuals.

How is this not a good model for Purdue? If Ivey, Morton, Newman, Gillis, and Edey (if he can’t redshirt) all play 4 years they have a legit chance at being one of Purdue’s best classes ever. Especially when you consider they are adding Furst and best case scenario 2 years of Ingram. I think that would be Purdue’s best chance at a championship. At this point, I would gladly take a championship at the cost of 2-3 transitional/bad years.

The problem is, if they put all the eggs in that basket and it doesn’t work. That would be no fun, but I am going to be optimistic here.

I will go ahead and say this since hes not on the team anymore. I for one do not know how he was ranked So high coming out of high school he should have not been in the top 120. I've been thinking this every sense he started playing for purdue. Once I seen him play I couldn't understand all the hype coming out of high school. No way he should have been ranked where he was Shooting the ball like I did. This just tells me coaches in Illinois does not know what they're doing to allow him to continue to shoot like that. A Indiana high school coach would have had him working on that The very moment they seen him shoot the ball.

There are always posters that take every opportunity to blame the coaching staff. This isn't even remotely on them nor are his shooting woes because they can only do so much and at some point the player has to put in the effort to correct it.

Plus according to some, he was draining them in practice, just not in the game when it matters.

Reactions: Schnelk
His 2017 recruiting class was simply not good enough. That’s the extent of my blaming CMP.

2014 - Best class in program history
2015 - NPOTY and Ryan Cline
2016 - All-American as a sophomore and historic NCAA performance as a junior.

We were probably due for a below-average class but it still wasn't terrible. All 4 players have already started games in their 2 or 3 seasons of play. All have already helped win games. It just lacked a consistent, high-end player. I'll still take our recruiting results as a whole.

Reactions: mathboy

I think the clear answer from reading this board from the last 3 years was that he probably wasn't listening to them....

2014 - Best class in program history
2015 - NPOTY and Ryan Cline
2016 - All-American as a sophomore and historic NCAA performance as a junior.

We were probably due for a below-average class but it still wasn't terrible. All 4 players have already started games in their 2 or 3 seasons of play. All have already helped win games. It just lacked a consistent, high-end player. I'll still take our recruiting results as a whole.
Below average is a good way to put it. And coming on the heels of a 1 man class compounded the problem, especially when that 1 man class left early.

I’ll personally take the 1984, 1991, and 2007 classes over 2014, but it was a nicely balanced class.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT