ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel in the transfer portal

I think the writing is on the wall here. He seems to have been unhappy since his freshman year here when he was stuck behind some really good players. He's contributed to some good Purdue teams here and I thank him for that. But he's decided it's time to move on and we will as well. Looking forward to cheering for those playing for Purdue next season (which hopefully will be played).
Think mom was unhappy!!

Let's be honest. He wasn't going to get the minutes he got last year and that's IF they even play a full schedule this year. I don't blame him at all. Much more likely he plays more in a years time with covid hopefully being over and on a team that isn't so guard heavy.

Reactions: IUhaterade
LOL. Congrats. The writing was on the wall from damn near the beginning so it didn't take Nostradamus to see this but most of us were classy enough not to get into it with him having family on the board.

So we were supposed to take it easy on him knowing that his mom reads what we post, yet no one gives that same consideration to Aaron Wheeler. Got it. That confirms what I have suspected for years.

I do not think we should have to bridle player criticism because a family member or player reads this board. If they can not handle criticism them they should not be on here. If that position makes me low-class than so be it. Life moves on and IU still sucks.

Was looking forward to 8-0 vs IU listed on the bio's of 2 from-day-1 contributor, and oftentime starters, on 2 Boilermaker's senior day write up. It's something small, but it's fun since it'd be vs IU but sucks to lose both Haarms and Eastern and not have that in 2020-21.

Yes Tommy Luce was 7-0 in his career vs Indiana, but that's completely different.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think Nojel is making a huge mistake. I don’t know if you can come back once entered. I think Painter doesn’t allow it even if he could technically. Painter values defense, and knows Nojel’s capability, and how to maximize his contributions. Other coaches may look for more offense. I think he and his mother both fondly recall Nojel dominating other teams in high school and think somehow he should be doing it in college. Unfortunately, players at the P5 level are not the same talent and size as those he dominated in high school.

I can see him hearing from coach Painter that there are no guarantees to any player for the starting positions. It may be that he recognizes the incoming talent might challenge him for the starting PG position, and that might worry him somewhat. I’m not a mind reader, so this is just my conjecture. I sure as hell wasn't in the room with them. I doubt any incoming player can match his defensive capability to take the opponents best player out of the game.
I think it’s a good move for both him and Purdue. He wasn’t going to see the time I know all of you thought he was with the guards we have on this roster. Hunter alone was getting 35 minutes a game by the end of the season. NE will find a spot on a school similar to Purdue and get about the same pt he got this year. He would have been very limited on minutes next season at Purdue.

So we were supposed to take it easy on him knowing that his mom reads what we post, yet no one gives that same consideration to Aaron Wheeler. Got it. That confirms what I have suspected for years.

I do not think we should have to bridle player criticism because a family member or player reads this board. If they can not handle criticism them they should not be on here. If that position makes me low-class than so be it. Life moves on and IU still sucks.
This actually got me thinking.. Nojel and Aaron seemed to be pretty good friends. I wonder if Wheeler isn't far behind.

Reactions: milkdude

Ideally none of us should act like an ass concerning any of our players.

perhaps. When I texted my mom about this the first thing she said is “I bet Wheeler is next”
Am thinking the same thing.

And quite honestly NE leaving is a bit "back stabby" to me because a lot people wanted him to succeed at Purdue and defended him (and his mom) and then he ups and leaves. I won't miss the division caused on this forum and his defense, but I won't miss his non-existent shot. And let's be honest, if he didn't develop one in the three years of being here, he isn't going to get one magically overnight.

I mean right now I could drink a case of beer and go out and have an equal to or better 3 point percentage than him. Yeah that is a jaded comment, but still.

I am also beginning to think that there WAS some turmoil in the locker room last year and it may of had a 3 headed monster. We will see if Wheeler leaves or not but usually when there is smoke like this, there is fire.

And pandemic or not, turns out redshirting Gillis and Newman was a downright brilliant move by Painter because they should be able to more than fill the gaps and the players leaving probably see that as well. As others have mentioned, there is no way with the talent coming in that NE's minutes wouldn't reduce.

This is a clear case of addition by subtraction. First NE puts his name in the NBA portal, then the transfer portal and personally after what has happened here lately, I think he is doing it off of some very bad advice.

Oh well. Move on and up.

I for one think this is the best decision for all parties involved. Nojel can find a team better suited for his game, our guard rotation gets the relief that it needed, and the Treed saga comes to a close for this board.

I would like to point out that I predicted this as well as a couple others on here (maybe BoilerKyle, Purduepat? I can’t remember) and we got completely crapped on for it.

I am glad that the constant Nojel battle is ovet and we can start fresh with our very talented young guys.

1 Morton- Thompson
2 Hunter- Ivey
3 Newman- Stefanovic
4 Gillis- Wheeler
5 Williams- Dowuona- Edey

I hope you're going to be okay... ;)

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Am thinking the same thing.

And quite honestly NE leaving is a bit "back stabby" to me because a lot people wanted him to succeed at Purdue and defended him (and his mom) and then he ups and leaves. I won't miss the division caused on this forum and his defense, but I won't miss his non-existent shot. And let's be honest, if he didn't develop one in the three years of being here, he isn't going to get one magically overnight.

I mean right now I could drink a case of beer and go out and have an equal to or better 3 point percentage than him. Yeah that is a jaded comment, but still.

I am also beginning to think that there WAS some turmoil in the locker room last year and it may of had a 3 headed monster. We will see if Wheeler leaves or not but usually when there is smoke like this, there is fire.

And pandemic or not, turns out redshirting Gillis and Newman was a downright brilliant move by Painter because they should be able to more than fill the gaps and the players leaving probably see that as well. As others have mentioned, there is no way with the talent coming in that NE's minutes wouldn't reduce.

This is a clear case of addition by subtraction. First NE puts his name in the NBA portal, then the transfer portal and personally after what has happened here lately, I think he is doing it off of some very bad advice.

Oh well. Move on and up.

Well said. I think he has been listening to the wrong people ever since he arrived at Purdue

Think that is a good sign on the prospects of Newman, Ivey, and Morton. Painter probably told him he'll have to play a lot better next season with all these talented guys coming up. I personally think this does not set us back at all for next season. What we will lose with defense we will definitely gain back in offense.

Does this means IU posters will no longer so vociferously post on here.

If this goes through they no longer will have a certain parent to antagonize.

This could be addressed to a few PU fans on here as well. Now, who will be on their chopping block next season?
Good luck Nojel! I wish you, and your mother, nothing but the best!

So much for "get old/stay old"...two consecutive years that Purdue will not have a recruited graduating senior.

doesn’t really work when you have a few classes in a row that turned out to be not very good. Have to reset by clearing the path to playing time for some talented recruits.

As others have sais this will be baby boilers 2.0, except this time we have more established talent already on the team.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Would not be surprised considering he already wore one of their shirts to a press conference after a loss. Besides, can't imagine any p5 schools will take him.
I think plenty of P5 teams will take him and stash him for a year see what they can get from him.

Reactions: Inspector100
I think once a player enters the transfer portal, Painter is done with you. Period.

I think that the poor season last year exposed some internal issues. Both transferring players were disappointed they were unable to lift the team to a better record, which might cause them to be locker room issues. That may be driving them to look elsewhere. Understandable.

I wish them both good luck and success.
Did it expose internal issues, or, did it expose a couple of guys that failed to develop as they seemingly should have or would have been reasonably expected? I feel like the latter failure is what led to the former "internal issues".

You had two guys that were the alleged faces of the program and leaders on the team that did not even start for the course of the year due to their own shortcomings yet felt like Painter/Purdue's system was somehow keeping them from reaching their professional aspirations...I had mentioned before that the disconnect with reality...in both individual's cases was astounding, and, I stand by it...again, it is no wonder last year looked like it did with guys that were supposed to be leaders and its best players being anything but.

The only thing more disappointing about it is that there was as much a personal disconnect with both and Painter...that is more concerning to me than a couple of guys just not being in touch with reality.

So much for "get old/stay old"...two consecutive years that Purdue will not have a recruited graduating senior.
That is why I hope the NCAA does not approve that new transfer rule, because it would just be complete chaos on rosters. I don't see how most coaches would be able to plan for the future and recruiting, because you would not know who they are going to have and how many true open spots. The only coaches that would thrive on this new rule would be the Calipari's of the world that are use to complete roster changes year after year.

This could be addressed to a few PU fans on here as well. Now, who will be on their chopping block next season?
Good luck Nojel! I wish you, and your mother, nothing but the best!

unless he also transfers... it was already Wheeler for quite a few people. I am hoping Wheeler comes back with renewed confidence in his shot. I would like to see him take warm-up time more seriously.

doesn’t really work when you have a few classes in a row that turned out to be not very good. Have to reset by clearing the path to playing time for some talented recruits.

As others have sais this will be baby boilers 2.0, except this time we have more established talent already on the team.
Agree, but, the bigger problem is a persistent one in regards to "a few classes in a row that turned out to be not very good".

It is incredibly difficult to recruit and replace four guys at a time, yet, Purdue/Painter has already done that three times and is poised to do it again now...it is hard to build a program that way or sustain success...especially at a high level. That is not a knock at all...it is just fact...and, until Painter/Purdue can find a way to level things out in recruiting and find guys that can contribute in every class, it will remain a problem unfortunately.

The concern if I have one in that regard is that Painter is well-established, and, has had success...great success for that matter at times (in recruiting and in terms of what he has done)...and, by now, I would have thought that might have happened in terms of not having the peaks and valleys (recruiting-wise and, wins/losses-wise).

Reactions: Zaphod_B
unless he also transfers... it was already Wheeler for quite a few people. I am hoping Wheeler comes back with renewed confidence in his shot. I would like to see him take warm-up time more seriously.

Wheeler will be eaten alive next season on here. There will be no high road taken.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
Unless he gets a waiver the only way he plays this year is to go D2. At least he might be able to relive the glory days at that level. I think he's making a mistake and appears to have had questionable guidance for quite some time.
Between the exceptionally lenient waiver program or the new absurd proposed "everyone/anyone can transfer one time and play immediately" legislation, he won't be sitting out a year more than likely...just makes the NBA declaration as ridiculous as the first one now in that he is apparrently planning to return, albeit somewhere else.

Wheeler will be eaten alive next season on here. There will be no high road taken.
Always remember that there were posts on this very board by “Purdue fans” saying they couldn’t wait to be rid of Carsen Edwards because his shooting was “selfish”. Then he took us within 3 seconds of the Final Four. Take anything from the armchair coaches on here with a whole shaker of salt.

The concern if I have one in that regard is that Painter is well-established, and, has had success...great success for that matter at times (in recruiting and in terms of what he has done)...and, by now, I would have thought that might have happened in terms of not having the peaks and valleys (recruiting-wise and, wins/losses-wise).
I’m as big or bigger of a Purdue fan as the next poster here but I think it’s time we start to maybe face a little reality of this situation... true or not Purdue has a bit of a reputation for being a bunch of nerdy white guys and a bunch of ag girls. Nothing wrong with that as I personally have a relationship with a beautiful Purdue Ag grad, but in the eyes of recruits, some parents, and general public, West Lafayette, and in turn Purdue, isn’t the most glamorous place to spend for years even if you are the big man on campus and a stud basketball, or even football, player. I happen to be a huge fan of campus, the facilities, what Purdue stands for, and our history but it isn’t everything that some other schools and locations can offer.
I guess my point is that I personally don’t think it’s a CMP problem in recruiting, I think it’s an “us” problem and until Purdue can change some of that reputation our coaches face an uphill battle to seriously be competitive every single year on a national scale.

My two cents worth…Painter maximized his strengths, playing defense, driving to the bucket and his hustle, unfortunately his shooting and form just never came around and his playing time was reduced do to last years team need to score from the outside which is not one of his strengths! Wish him the best and hope he finds what he and his mom want…time for Purdue to move on to next man up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT