ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel in the transfer portal

Thanks for your time in the black and gold, Jelly. Even if it didn't work out here, I hope he can do great things wherever he ends up. I'll miss the lockdown D.

That said, I think our guard situation - while very young - is still in a decent place. If Newman and Ivey can get quality floor time I think our O can do some real damage. A 4-out-1-in around T-Will could tear apart a lot of teams.

Did Painter know this was coming or was this like Haarms?

Wish him all the best. Our team is definitely getting younger by the day.

I think Nojel is making a huge mistake. I don’t know if you can come back once entered. I think Painter doesn’t allow it even if he could technically. Painter values defense, and knows Nojel’s capability, and how to maximize his contributions. Other coaches may look for more offense. I think he and his mother both fondly recall Nojel dominating other teams in high school and think somehow he should be doing it in college. Unfortunately, players at the P5 level are not the same talent and size as those he dominated in high school.

I can see him hearing from coach Painter that there are no guarantees to any player for the starting positions. It may be that he recognizes the incoming talent might challenge him for the starting PG position, and that might worry him somewhat. I’m not a mind reader, so this is just my conjecture. I sure as hell wasn't in the room with them. I doubt any incoming player can match his defensive capability to take the opponents best player out of the game.

Folks, all this means is he can speak to other coaches about transferring. He's allowed to return to his home team if he wants.

But the question is, why would Painter want him back at this stage.

As one who's always supported him, I don't like seeing him leave, but I wonder if Painter has told him it might be the best thing for him. You just don't lose your two Seniors at the same time. I've said all year that there are issues in the locker room.

Thanks to him for his contributions the past 3 years.

Moving on, should be interesting who wins guard minutes next year. Thompson probably early favorite for PG minutes. Sasha and Hunter will obviously have roles and will be pushed by Morton, Ivey, and Newman. I'd say you have 100-120 minutes per game to divide among those 6. No shortage of options. Just need at least a couple of them to bring it consistently on both ends.

This means IT and Morton will run the point next year. That can be good. We won’t have as good a defense, but we may be much more dangerous offensively. We will miss his rebounding size.
I
This transfer might say something about either Kaufman or Ingram coming in. It certainly changes the open scholarship picture.

Thanks to him for his contributions the past 3 years.

Moving on, should be interesting who wins guard minutes next year. Thompson probably early favorite for PG minutes. Sasha and Hunter will obviously have roles and will be pushed by Morton, Ivey, and Newman. I'd say you have 100-120 minutes per game to divide among those 6. No shortage of options. Just need at least a couple of them to bring it consistently on both ends.
Hey....we can use the IU excuse....."But...We were such a young team".

This means IT and Morton will run the point next year. That can be good. We won’t have as good a defense, but we may be much more dangerous offensively. We will miss his rebounding size.
I
This transfer might say something about either Kaufman or Ingram coming in. It certainly changes the open scholarship picture.
Umm this has nothing to do with Kaufman or Ingram as nojel was a senior next year. He never would have played with either and he wouldn't have taken a scholly from either.

It's too bad, but I get it. I wish Nojel nothing but the best and will be rooting for him. I wish he had better advice to go straight into the transfer portal vs the NBA feedback then transfer portal. I wonder how that may hurt his options.

I personally would like to see him go to a non-Power 5 team where he is the focal point (big fish in small pond). Be a PG where he can show off his dribble penetration and finish or kick it, has a very long leash and total freedom to play through his mistakes. I think that will help him relax mentally and not put so much pressure on himself. Then hopefully see if that clears up his offensive woes.

He's a beast defensively/athletically and he played a great role in the success of our team the past 3 years. He's a good kid, good teammate. I'll be rooting for you Jelly!

I
It doesn't change the open scholarship picture at all...

Kaufman and Ingram are 2021. Eastern would be gone by then regardless...

Folks, all this means is he can speak to other coaches about transferring. He's allowed to return to his home team if he wants.

As one who's always supported him, I don't like seeing him leave, but I wonder if Painter has told him it might be the best thing for him. You just don't lose your two Seniors at the same time. I've said all year that there are issues in the locker room.

I think the writing is on the wall here. He seems to have been unhappy since his freshman year here when he was stuck behind some really good players. He's contributed to some good Purdue teams here and I thank him for that. But he's decided it's time to move on and we will as well. Looking forward to cheering for those playing for Purdue next season (which hopefully will be played).

I think once a player enters the transfer portal, Painter is done with you. Period.

I think that the poor season last year exposed some internal issues. Both transferring players were disappointed they were unable to lift the team to a better record, which might cause them to be locker room issues. That may be driving them to look elsewhere. Understandable.

I wish them both good luck and success.

I for one think this is the best decision for all parties involved. Nojel can find a team better suited for his game, our guard rotation gets the relief that it needed, and the Treed saga comes to a close for this board.

I would like to point out that I predicted this as well as a couple others on here (maybe BoilerKyle, Purduepat? I can’t remember) and we got completely crapped on for it.

I am glad that the constant Nojel battle is ovet and we can start fresh with our very talented young guys.

1 Morton- Thompson
2 Hunter- Ivey
3 Newman- Stefanovic
4 Gillis- Wheeler
5 Williams- Dowuona- Edey

Umm this has nothing to do with Kaufman or Ingram as nojel was a senior next year. He never would have played with either and he wouldn't have taken a scholly from either.
Yep, you are correct. It might mean we can bring in a grad transfer, but it doesn’t affect the following year. Oh well.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Nojel leaving gives minutes to players that aren't offensively challanged. Might see a graduate transfer arrive, if not depth could be a issue next season, injuries happen.

I would like to point out that I predicted this as well as a couple others on here (maybe BoilerKyle, Purduepat? I can’t remember) and we got completely crapped on for it.

LOL. Congrats. The writing was on the wall from damn near the beginning so it didn't take Nostradamus to see this but most of us were classy enough not to get into it with him having family on the board.

Nojel leaving gives minutes to players that aren't offensively challanged. Might see a graduate transfer arrive, if not depth could be a issue next season, injuries happen.

I think we are fine at guard depth. Might need a 4 that can defend and rebound

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT