ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel in the transfer portal

I have always liked Nojel, and I hoped that he would grow into at worst a very good starter and at best a star. However, sadly, I think Nojel's freshman year was the zenith of his time at Purdue. Despite his mother's repeated claims, he never established anything resembling a consistent jump shot during his time at Purdue, and, at times this season, his decision to try and force shots really hurt Purdue.

I wish him all the best going forward. For whatever reason, some people just need a change of scenery in order to reach their potential. However, I sincerely hope he tells his mom to stay off the message boards wherever he ends up. I think the combination of his mom's need to defend him coupled with what over time became clearly fantastical claims about his growth as a player made him an easy target for many. I get that any parent is going to want to defend his/her kid, but his mother needs to realize that division 1 athletes in revenue sports are going to get attention good and bad and you cannot fight every battle.

Last edited:
It's too bad, but I get it. I wish Nojel nothing but the best and will be rooting for him. I wish he had better advice to go straight into the transfer portal vs the NBA feedback then transfer portal. I wonder how that may hurt his options.

I personally would like to see him go to a non-Power 5 team where he is the focal point (big fish in small pond). Be a PG where he can show off his dribble penetration and finish or kick it, has a very long leash and total freedom to play through his mistakes. I think that will help him relax mentally and not put so much pressure on himself. Then hopefully see if that clears up his offensive woes.

He's a beast defensively/athletically and he played a great role in the success of our team the past 3 years. He's a good kid, good teammate. I'll be rooting for you Jelly!

I think it's pretttttty clear he won't go somewhere where he will be a small fish in a big pond.

Reactions: tjreese
Did it expose internal issues, or, did it expose a couple of guys that failed to develop as they seemingly should have or would have been reasonably expected? I feel like the latter failure is what led to the former "internal issues".

You had two guys that were the alleged faces of the program and leaders on the team that did not even start for the course of the year due to their own shortcomings yet felt like Painter/Purdue's system was somehow keeping them from reaching their professional aspirations...I had mentioned before that the disconnect with reality...in both individual's cases was astounding, and, I stand by it...again, it is no wonder last year looked like it did with guys that were supposed to be leaders and its best players being anything but.

The only thing more disappointing about it is that there was as much a personal disconnect with both and Painter...that is more concerning to me than a couple of guys just not being in touch with reality.
I think you very accurately and articulately expressing what I was Stumbling around and trying to say.

Last edited:
I have always liked Nojel, and I hoped that he would grow into at worst a very good starter and at best a star. However, sadly, I think Nojel's freshman year was the zenith of his time at Purdue. Despite his mother's repeated claims, he never established anything resembling a consistent jump shot during his time at Purdue, and, at times this season, his decision to try and force shots really hurt Purdue.

I wish him all the best going forward. For whatever reasons, some people just need a change of scenery in order to reach their potential. However, I sincerely hope he tells his mom to stay off the message boards wherever he ends up. I think the combination of his mom's need to defend him coupled with what over time became clearly fantastical claims about his growth as a player made him an easy target for many. I get that any parent is going to want to defend his/her kid, but his mother needs to realize that division 1 athletes in revenue sports are going to get attention good and bad and you cannot fight every battle.

I'm not saying anything I haven't said before, but I think it's a 2 way street. I posted this before, but I remember watching an interview where he was asked about something that was called on him -- the response was a serious answer of it was the refs fault for calling it. Not I didn't think it was a good call, but I can't put myself in that position to get called (i.e. take responsibility). The interview felt like a lot of the posts we've seen on here where the offensive production wasn't what it was because there weren't enough plays drawn up for him, etc. The last "reasoning" was mental health issues that were brought up on here -- which really rubbed me the wrong way. When you're willing to expose your adult son's mental health issues in public in order to defend why their development as a basketball player has been what it was, I think that's a clear indication that a "take a step back" is needed. I hope Nojel finds a fresh start somewhere, and wish him good luck.

And hopefully this board can find one as well.

I hope that everyone who has written a negative post about Nojel or his mother will take a pledge not to make any more negative posts about him, if we are fortunate enough to invite him back and he accepts.

With that quote might want to stay off the board and take some time and look at your participation trophies during this quarantine. Nojel is probably a great kid. His game warranted negative criticism not personality.

I do not think predicting that a player is going to transfer is acting like an ass, but you have the right to your opinion.

I especially think that is being an ass. If you want to point out that a player had 4 turnovers last game or missed some key free throws, those are facts and hard to debate. When you start going into predicting transfers, you're messing with their personal life there. Personally, I think GBI should delete all speculation regarding transfers. As it is, they have selectively cracked down on it for certain players and let it go completely for others. But I think it was Ryne Smith who was subjected to constant rumors on here where it almost seemed like a given he was leaving because of people on here speculated so because he wasn't earning alot of minutes through his sophomore season. I believe it's been noted that he was getting calls from his own family to inquire on his status. Not to mention it would make many players question whether the staff wanted them back or perhaps were behind the rumors. But when Scott Martin transfer rumors were posted in his one season at Purdue, they couldn't zap those from these boards fast enough. And apparently not because they weren't true since he did transfer. You have to ask yourself why the double-standard there.

At any rate, I do think you are being a douche if you're openly speculating on a player transferring unless the player (or an extension of the player) has given a reason to think they might. I could probably give a pass on Eastern given what his mom posted on here during his freshman year. When a parent posts that a player won't be around next year, even if it's later deleted, that pretty much opens the discussion.

I think plenty of P5 teams will take him and stash him for a year see what they can get from him.
He has to sit out a year so he won't be able to play immediately. Seems you have a lot higher opinion of his game than i do, but if i was a p5 head coach there is no way i would use 2 scholarship years on a guy who would most likely be coming off the bench. Especially with all the drama he brings. I personally think a lower end d1 school where he can score a lot of points and showcase his skill set is his best option. That or just go overseas and start making money.

I'm not saying anything I haven't said before, but I think it's a 2 way street. I posted this before, but I remember watching an interview where he was asked about something that was called on him -- the response was a serious answer of it was the refs fault for calling it. Not I didn't think it was a good call, but I can't put myself in that position to get called (i.e. take responsibility). The interview felt like a lot of the posts we've seen on here where the offensive production wasn't what it was because there weren't enough plays drawn up for him, etc. The last "reasoning" was mental health issues that were brought up on here -- which really rubbed me the wrong way. When you're willing to expose your adult son's mental health issues in public in order to defend why their development as a basketball player has been what it was, I think that's a clear indication that a "take a step back" is needed. I hope Nojel finds a fresh start somewhere, and wish him good luck.

And hopefully this board can find one as well.
You make a great point about the mental health issue exposed by his mom. I was surprised and concerned that she even brought it up. I didn’t address it in response because I thought it inappropriate at best. He also deflected many things he should have taken personal responsibility for.

Add to those issues the fact that he was getting pulled at end of game situations and replaced by a freshman who could shoot free throws, I can understand his disenchantment.

I still think she expected Nojel to be able to bully his way to the basket each time just like he did in high school playing against 5’7” slow high school players. that is what he and she remembered about his early days, and expected to do the same in the BIG. It ain’t going to happen unless he goes down to a division 3 school, and maybe not even then.

I especially think that is being an ass. If you want to point out that a player had 4 turnovers last game or missed some key free throws, those are facts and hard to debate. When you start going into predicting transfers, you're messing with their personal life there. Personally, I think GBI should delete all speculation regarding transfers. As it is, they have selectively cracked down on it for certain players and let it go completely for others. But I think it was Ryne Smith who was subjected to constant rumors on here where it almost seemed like a given he was leaving because of people on here speculated so because he wasn't earning alot of minutes through his sophomore season. I believe it's been noted that he was getting calls from his own family to inquire on his status. Not to mention it would make many players question whether the staff wanted them back or perhaps were behind the rumors. But when Scott Martin transfer rumors were posted in his one season at Purdue, they couldn't zap those from these boards fast enough. And apparently not because they weren't true since he did transfer. You have to ask yourself why the double-standard there.

At any rate, I do think you are being a douche if you're openly speculating on a player transferring unless the player (or an extension of the player) has given a reason to think they might. I could probably give a pass on Eastern given what his mom posted on here during his freshman year. When a parent posts that a player won't be around next year, even if it's later deleted, that pretty much opens the discussion.
How does speculating on a player's transfer impact that player's life? Surely you don't think players listen to what is suggested on a free message board. Nojel seemed like an obvious transfer candidate from about the second semester on. I don't believe speculating on that is at all out of line.

Is anyone going to wake up and see that Haarms and Eastern aren’t the problem here?

I know, don’t criticize Painter ever for anything right? He does a lot of good things for sure, but see this for what it is

I have nothing against Nojel other than he can't shoot a basketball and we needed him to. I hope he finds a place that makes him happy.

As far as his mother goes, good riddance. She was coddled here way too much and it became ridiculous. Her exposing his mental issues was unbelievable. Instead of defending her, people should have been calling for her to leave, or at the very least stop talking about his personal problems. I hope where ever he goes she stays off the message boards. She does her son a disservice. I'm on a number of other teams boards. Not surprisingly not a single parent to be found.....

I hope that everyone who has written a negative post about Nojel or his mother will take a pledge not to make any more negative posts about him, if we are fortunate enough to invite him back and he accepts.
Are you implying that he's leaving because of fans' criticisms on message boards? If that's the case, that's even more reason why I don't want him back.

That being said, he gone. He tweeted "Thank you Purdue". See ya.

Is anyone going to wake up and see that Haarms and Eastern aren’t the problem here?

I know, don’t criticize Painter ever for anything right? He does a lot of good things for sure, but see this for what it is
I wouldn't go that far. The only thing I could see criticizing Painter on is for all the misses in the 2017 class.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Painter definitely bears responsibility as well too. Not specifically for them transferring, but in my opinion its more that he recruited multiple classes in a row filled with just role players. No stars to continue a high level of play. Guys like haarms and nojel never should have been thrust into a leadership role or looked to as the team's best players. Neither of them ever had the talent to be the best player on a good big ten team. Solid rotational pieces though.

Last edited:
They might have been seniors to be but they were still role players on a .500 team and benefited GREATLY the two years prior from playing with a really good class. I don’t know if these transfers hurt as much as people think. Just my opinion.

Reactions: IUhaterade
Agree, but, the bigger problem is a persistent one in regards to "a few classes in a row that turned out to be not very good".

It is incredibly difficult to recruit and replace four guys at a time, yet, Purdue/Painter has already done that three times and is poised to do it again now...it is hard to build a program that way or sustain success...especially at a high level. That is not a knock at all...it is just fact...and, until Painter/Purdue can find a way to level things out in recruiting and find guys that can contribute in every class, it will remain a problem unfortunately.

The concern if I have one in that regard is that Painter is well-established, and, has had success...great success for that matter at times (in recruiting and in terms of what he has done)...and, by now, I would have thought that might have happened in terms of not having the peaks and valleys (recruiting-wise and, wins/losses-wise).

I think college basketball is only getting tougher -- and you've had a good take. This is a roster with a lot of fish that all can't play.

As you mentioned, to plan out for these class rotations you see is incredibly difficult and somehow we've managed to do it in a pretty good way.

On your last point, I think it's still incredibly hard not to have peaks and valleys, especially a program like a Purdue that's just not up there in terms of being able to compete with top tier programs that just have more. I mean hell, look at UNC - that's a team loaded with talent and they had a worse record than us (14-19) in a much worse conference.

Turnover is a tough battle, and you have it naturally - as we saw with 4 graduating seniors a few years ago. And you see it with simple roster turnover - NBA departures or transfers (Maryland won the Big Ten then saw 4 guys transfer, Illinois had their best season in years and lost 2 transfers).

There's a reason there's only 10 teams that have made the NCAA Tournament 5 years in a row (Purdue continues! ha). The company we keep is: Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, UNC, Villanova, Kentucky, UVA and Purdue.

You can be the most established coach and still deal with turnover and teams not gelling. Very extreme example, but Duke hasn't made a Final Four in the last 5 seasons. Last year, they had 3 Top 10 picks - and couldn't make the Final Four. The year before, 2 Top 10, 3 first rounders, no Final Four.

Last year's Purdue team was after 2 years of major turnover - four senior starters 2 years before, then lost the 2 leading scorers the next year. This team just didn't click and sometimes you have that. But if our down year is a bubble team for the NCAA Tournament..it could be a lot worse.

I think plenty of P5 teams will take him and stash him for a year see what they can get from him.
Do you really think with the guidance and push he's been getting to be a pro that he will be content to be "stashed for a year?"

Did it expose internal issues, or, did it expose a couple of guys that failed to develop as they seemingly should have or would have been reasonably expected? I feel like the latter failure is what led to the former "internal issues".

You had two guys that were the alleged faces of the program and leaders on the team that did not even start for the course of the year due to their own shortcomings yet felt like Painter/Purdue's system was somehow keeping them from reaching their professional aspirations...I had mentioned before that the disconnect with reality...in both individual's cases was astounding, and, I stand by it...again, it is no wonder last year looked like it did with guys that were supposed to be leaders and its best players being anything but.

The only thing more disappointing about it is that there was as much a personal disconnect with both and Painter...that is more concerning to me than a couple of guys just not being in touch with reality.

Eh. Both were happy at Purdue when they had upperclassmen around to carry them. When it came time for them to step into that leading role, they apparently did not like it so much. CMP got some decent play from both while they were here and they both contributed to some nice seasons.

I think this, more than anything, is just kind of a reminder of how much of a crapshoot recruiting can be.

Reactions: mathboy
I have nothing against Nojel other than he can't shoot a basketball and we needed him to. I hope he finds a place that makes him happy.

As far as his mother goes, good riddance. She was coddled here way too much and it became ridiculous. Her exposing his mental issues was unbelievable. Instead of defending her, people should have been calling for her to leave, or at the very least stop talking about his personal problems. I hope where ever he goes she stays off the message boards. She does her son a disservice. I'm on a number of other teams boards. Not surprisingly not a single parent to be found.....
You couldn't have chased her away if you tried and some did. I know she is been the primary parent but have a feeling that her over the top involvement in his life has a lot to do with his results on and off the court.

I guess I’m not “woke enough”. Please tell us more about what we need to wake up to? What is it I need to see?

so far I see two kids who are disappointed in their development and their ability to lead this team. Instead of doubling down to fix their weaknesses, they have decided to take the easier route and slide down to schools that are less competitive (of course, we don’t know where Nojel ends up, but I’m placing my bet on a lesser conference).

I'm writing a lot of the transfers off to the effects of the pandemic. Taking the players out of their routines and away from the team and campus and exposing them to life and death consequences created a lot of soul searching by all. Ears were opened to advisors that may have not had influence otherwise. Up until March I thought my grandson was going to Krannert in the fall. Sitting at home in Michigan and worrying about life and actually asking if this was the end of the world he decided to stay an hour from home at UM when he was accepted into the Ross School of Business.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. The only thing I could see criticizing Painter on is for all the misses in the 2017 class.

This is absurd. You're literally playing "armchair QB" with recruiting. Not everyone pans out, Matt Haarms was not a "miss" - he literally was recruited to go behind a 4 year starter at center, then was beat out by a better player recruited after him. He was never supposed to be "the guy". There's 2 other kids in that class that have a lot ahead of them with 2 years left, but you just want to tell us they are bad and let's just move on. Maybe we should just kick them off the team!

Your expectations are for a coach to be absolutely perfect recruiting every single roster slot on a team with no room for error. That just couldn't be further from reality.

This is absurd. You're literally playing "armchair QB" with recruiting. Not everyone pans out, Matt Haarms was not a "miss" - he literally was recruited to go behind a 4 year starter at center, then was beat out by a better player recruited after him. He was never supposed to be "the guy". There's 2 other kids in that class that have a lot ahead of them with 2 years left, but you just want to tell us they are bad and let's just move on. Maybe we should just kick them off the team!

Your expectations are for a coach to be absolutely perfect recruiting every single roster slot on a team with no room for error. That just couldn't be further from reality.
Nojel (Transfer)- Miss
Wheeler - Miss
Sasha - He's a good role player
Haarms (Transfer) - Decent player, but was never going to be a dominant player in the Big Ten.

So from a class of 4, we have two role players and 2 misses. When we finish bottom half of the Big Ten next year, we need look no further than the 2017 class.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Nojel (Transfer)- Miss
Wheeler - Miss
Haarms (Transfer) - Decent player, but was never going to be a dominant player in the Big Ten.

So from a class of 4, we have two role players and 2 misses. When we finish bottom half of the Big Ten next year, we need look no further than the 2017 class.
So, there are 5 starting positions covered by 4 classes. That means each class should contribute 1.2 starters. Sasha will start this coming year. Nojel started 3 years, and Haarms started for two Half seasons. Sounds like we are running about average with the 2017 class. Your concerns are noted, and I sort of think they are misplaced.

You seem to want to find some way of twisting this into a criticism of Coach Painter. I think this falls on the kids not developing to their own expectations. That is a personal issue, and one they controlled. The opportunities were there, but not everyone cab take full advantage.

How does speculating on a player's transfer impact that player's life? Surely you don't think players listen to what is suggested on a free message board. Nojel seemed like an obvious transfer candidate from about the second semester on. I don't believe speculating on that is at all out of line.

Players absolutely read and hear what's posted here.

Reactions: Purdue85
Nojel (Transfer)- Miss
Wheeler - Miss

Uh

This post has so much wrong with it......just alot of half truths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT