ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel in the transfer portal

Even if you have no attrition you should have a 4-person class every 4th year. I don't think those are the problem. Maybe the problem is that our 4-man classes have not really had much attrition so it made it harder to recruit elite players immediately afterwards. The 2017 class was a departure from 2007 and 2014 and we're seeing what seems to be some consistency from 2018-2021 in that we don't have one class with 4 top 100 multi-year starters in it and hopefully our attrition will be more natural. We'll see. I have no complaints with where we're at.

I would generally agree with your premise.

Purdue's 4/5 man classes generally have had a significant impact 2-3 years after recruitment. Our challenge ... generally ... is to continue to back-fill talent behind the most talented players.

I don't think we're a program who will consistently have a strong bench behind each position. At least, not in today's world.

I'm not sure where Painter is headed with this program, or where the CBB recruiting landscape is headed, but, for now, we're going to experience the ups and downs, no matter what people on this forum screech about.
Agree in terms of the impact a couple of years in, but, the Hummel, Johnson, Martin, Moore class had an immediate impact, and, so did the Edwards, Haas, Mathias, Thompson one. I fully expect the freshman class (including Gillis and Newman) to have a significant immediate impact.

That challenge that you referenced is by no means unique to Purdue...but, in at least a case where Purdue "back-filled", they added Biggie and Carsen Iand Haarms and Eastern) to that Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson class, which, led to a very successful run.

It is much easier to back-fill or round out or add to a class or classes if you are doing it a guy or a couple of guys at a time though.

I agree that Purdue, and many others for that matter, are not going to have quality depth at each/every position...but, it is fair to think that they could have depth still, and, be strong in both the front court and back court, even if one is stronger.

Your last point is very valid though...with the landscape now and maybe moving forward, it will be interesting to see what happens.

His mechanics aren't good most of the time. There was that time when he hit 18 or 19 free throws in a row as a sophomore, but then it was like he forgot what he learned and his free throw shooting went back to closer to 50%. I do think he had a mental block when shooting in games that messed with his confidence. I had sort of forgot about the Eastern Michigan t-shirt fiasco. I was pissed about that at the time and now that he is in fact transferring I find it even more disrespectful that he did that.
His mechanics were bad, but I think the post you referenced subtly suggested a bigger problem was not mechanics and I think I know the intent of that post ;)

Agree in terms of the impact a couple of years in, but, the Hummel, Johnson, Martin, Moore class had an immediate impact, and, so did the Edwards, Haas, Mathias, Thompson one. I fully expect the freshman class (including Gillis and Newman) to have a significant immediate impact.

That challenge that you referenced is by no means unique to Purdue...but, in at least a case where Purdue "back-filled", they added Biggie and Carsen Iand Haarms and Eastern) to that Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson class, which, led to a very successful run.

It is much easier to back-fill or round out or add to a class or classes if you are doing it a guy or a couple of guys at a time though.

I agree that Purdue, and many others for that matter, are not going to have quality depth at each/every position...but, it is fair to think that they could have depth still, and, be strong in both the front court and back court, even if one is stronger.

Your last point is very valid though...with the landscape now and maybe moving forward, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not following my points with which you disagree, if that's the case.

E'twaun and Robbie were major contributors, in terms of starting as FR, and led the team with 31 starts. We also need to take into consideration the balance of the roster, and the level of the program at the time.

I'm tired (and ready for bed), but will take a look at the others you cite.

Man...seems just like yesterday I was live streaming Nojel's decision and he put that Boiler hat on. I think some of the lurkers here forget their schools offered him too.

I never engaged with the mother (maybe, drunk?) but I'm glad that saga is over. I don't think WMU has to worry about her on their forums because I don't think they have any open scholarships. Perhaps he could be a preferred walkon.

I'm not following my points with which you disagree, if that's the case.

E'twaun and Robbie were major contributors, in terms of starting as FR, and led the team with 31 starts. We also need to take into consideration the balance of the roster, and the level of the program at the time.

I'm tired (and ready for bed), but will take a look at the others you cite.
I don't think I disagreed on/with anything...

I remember watching Nojel's HS tape thinking he was going to come in and be one hell of an offensive threat. Never came close to meeting expectations IMO.

I shouldn't be excited but I cannot wait to read whatever school's bball forum he's associated with.

I'm guessing all the media heads are reading these threads now. I also know Nojel's mom is too. Hello...how's the 15 minutes of fame going?

I won't mince words since he quit. His jump shot isn't waiting on him at his next destination. His mother mentioned that they paid a "pro" shooting coach to help with his shot. I'd ask for my money back if I didn't think they found him on Craigslist.

His psyche and confidence on the court were as sturdy as a paper bag. I've never seen a player with his build and stature play so timid on the offensive end. At times he was terrified to shoot a layup.

Putting his name into the draft as a Freshmen was delusional. Putting it in as a Junior when he hadn't gotten better was an embarrassment to both himself and Purdue basketball.

Here's a free evaluation for he and his inner circle. If you want to know who's holding Nojel back walk in front of a mirror.

I wish him no ill will as a person but as a player he and his posse can kick rocks. Boilermaker he is not.

Reactions: IUhaterade
Which is in short my point...at some point when you continuously put all of the eggs in one basket, it is likely not going to work...it is too much pressure to continuously operate with that model and have it be successful every time...and it has happened three times now for Painter/Purdue...to his and their credit, they have made it work twice and are poised to do so a third time, but, I would much rather have more balanced classes with contributors in multiple classes opposed to the "all eggs in one basket" approach multiple times as has been the case.

Well the only other option is to start cheating really. Purdue doesn’t consistently pull talent enough to win with small classes. In fairness, not many do and some of the ones that do even struggle to win. This is the best formula. It just so happens to be high risk high reward.

Look at it this way. Newman, Ivey, Gillis, Morton, Edey has potential to win some stuff as they grow together. If they stay for at least 3 years and Purdue gets 2 years of Furst and Ingram, I think the expectation would be a championship. I’ll take that risk all day every day. That’s the formula because you have a solid base and add a top player in Ingram.

Again, I would gladly take a championship in ‘21 or ‘22 for a three year downward swing. The landscape is also going to change because of the transfer rule and more players going G league. It’s going to be very important to have a championship on the resume because by then, the rebuild could be much quicker. It may become a thing to tell a player in HS you like them but don’t have room. Go play someplace else for 2 years and we will come get you kind of thing.

Reactions: IUhaterade and BBG
no... if offense is the only way you are measuring him he was very below average. Worst scoring guard in all of D1
I think you may be referring to Eastern? We're talking about Kramer. Apparently he was really offended by me calling him an average player as he just linked to a post from January. Lol

I think you may be referring to Eastern? We're talking about Kramer. Apparently he was really offended by me calling him an average player as he just linked to a post from January. Lol

ohhh... i’d saw Kramer was a 10 on D and a 4 on O

ADVERTISEMENT