ADVERTISEMENT

Next D Coordinator

Feb 5, 2003
Thoughts?

I want an "up and comer", not a retread.

I'm intrigued by Cort Dennison. Supposed to be a good recruiter too. Saw him play at Washington. Total overachiever.

Dennison

Reactions: boiler800
Arizona State defensive coordinator would be amazing but that's too ambitious.
We need an aggressive blitz oriented defense. We don't have the talent to just sit back and defend. Need to go attack the offense with multiple blitz packages and different looks.

Maybe an Alabama position coach would be good, they would bring good recruiting

Arizona State defensive coordinator would amazing but that's too ambitious.
We need an aggressive blitz oriented defense. We don't have the talent to just sit back and defend. Need to go attack the offense with multiple blitz packages and different looks.

Maybe an Alabama position coach would be good, they would bring good recruiting

Marvin Lewis??? ASU's defense is not so great.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Agree with the philosophy of catching an up-and-comer on the way up. Jim Leonhard went from player, to one year position coach, to one of the league's best defensive coordinators.

Vince Kehres is my pick. Has improved Toledo's poor D this year. Won 2 D-3 National Championships at Mount Union on 7 years. Dad is in the NCAA Hall of Fame. He's still young, 44, so that might help recruiting and knows the Ohio area well which would be a big help.
Another d/c out of the MAC Brian Borland early 50`s coach at Buffalo

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
I mentioned him a few times last year but Marcus Freeman would be a good choice. Likely not a real chance at him though. Has done really well in recruiting and on - field results for cincinnati.

Reactions: Bippus33
Thoughts?

I'm intrigued by Cort Dennison. Supposed to be a good recruiter too. Saw him play at Washington. Total overachiever.

Dennison

Dennison is good, I like Clayton white .. but I want someone, as you should always want with Purdue .. who has succeeded without access to the premium talent that you just won’t get right away at Purdue.

I really hope we don’t get someone who has done well a la Fred akers at Texas .. dumbest idea possible

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Dennison is good, I like Clayton white .. but I want someone, as you should always want with Purdue .. who has succeeded without access to the premium talent that you just won’t get right away at Purdue.

I really hope we don’t get someone who has done well a la Fred akers at Texas .. dumbest idea possible
Derek Mason

Reactions: DAG10 and JRowdy20
Thoughts?
Dennison
Might be a good fit from the track record. This is a "line in the sand" moment for Brohm. Either his pick works or there will be worse fallout later. Should be looking for an experienced, connected and respected coach that can make a difference quickly vs an up an comer project. Very hard to find the next type of Jim Leonhard Def Coordinator. He was groomed under Dave Aranda & Justin Wilcox for a year before becoming Def Coordinator within a year. Purdue cannot afford a miss on this next pick. My $.02

Reactions: DAG10
Wonder if he already has someone and is waiting until after bowl games / conference championship games?

Agree with the philosophy of catching an up-and-comer on the way up. Jim Leonhard went from player, to one year position coach, to one of the league's best defensive coordinators.
He is an exception not the norm. He had an off-season study with Dave Aranda and direct work with Justin Wilcox before taking the reigns. He came from within the UW system as well. I doubt Purdue has that luxury right now within the staff or we'd have been hearing about it.
Next D.C. better be a proven coach that has recruiting connections within the Midwest / Purdue territories, knack for identifying Big Ten talent and have solid defense experience along with managing players and defensive coaches.
For the sake of the program along with Brohm and his staff, I hope that they do their due diligence and find smart, energetic coach that can both strategize and adjust quickly within games to take Purdue a big step forward.

While discussing this topic, I find it interesting that Brohm didn't face the media and instead issued a statement. That had to be by design as that has never been done in all the years that I've been following NSD (20+) years.
Likely didn't want to be asked about the Diaco issue if it were starting to get rumblings and take away from the young men signing day.

Thoughts?

Dennison
I suggest Brohm hire an outstanding DC to recruit a new DC for Purdue because obviously Brohm knows nothing about defense.

He is an exception not the norm. He had an off-season study with Dave Aranda and direct work with Justin Wilcox before taking the reigns. He came from within the UW system as well. I doubt Purdue has that luxury right now within the staff or we'd have been hearing about it.
Next D.C. better be a proven coach that has recruiting connections within the Midwest / Purdue territories, knack for identifying Big Ten talent and have solid defense experience along with managing players and defensive coaches.
For the sake of the program along with Brohm and his staff, I hope that they do their due diligence and find smart, energetic coach that can both strategize and adjust quickly within games to take Purdue a big step forward.

While discussing this topic, I find it interesting that Brohm didn't face the media and instead issued a statement. That had to be by design as that has never been done in all the years that I've been following NSD (20+) years.
Likely didn't want to be asked about the Diaco issue if it were starting to get rumblings and take away from the young men signing day.
Brohm has been so different this year than he has been in the past...press conferences this year have offered little, if anything, and, not speaking on NSD is unheard of. There are more questions than answers right now within/about and around the program, so, that had as much to do with it as anything I am sure, and, when you finish last in the conference 4 years in, I am sure that he was happy to not have to talk about that situation among the number of others, including firing the guy that he just hired...after 6 games (essentially half of a season).

Reactions: purduepat1969
Brohm has been so different this year than he has been in the past...press conferences this year have offered little, if anything, and, not speaking on NSD is unheard of. There are more questions than answers right now within/about and around the program, so, that had as much to do with it as anything I am sure, and, when you finish last in the conference 4 years in, I am sure that he was happy to not have to talk about that situation among the number of others, including firing the guy that he just hired...after 6 games (essentially half of a season).
I'm still of the opinion there is some kind of a team morale, trust, or leadership issue going on. Maybe it was Diaco. And maybe Diaco was a scapegoat. Brohm has been acting like a stone cold killer with the press/fans. And the product on the field doesn't justify it.

Nobody likes having to explain their own shitty performance. But you're making $ millions, so you own the responsibility. Might as well not have press conferences at this point if you're not gonna man up and tell Purdue nation about the firing in person and explain what's going on. Especially after the shitshow we've seen the past two years on the field.

Not young, in fact he took this year off after retiring, but maybe Ron Vanderlinden, Gary Barnett's DC at NU would consider it if offered enough $$. Great defensive mind. After he got fired as HC at MD after 2000, coached LBs at Penn St then Air Force Academy until last year. Played HS ball for Bill McCartney at Divine Child in Detroit, then coached under him at CU before coming with Barnett to start a great turn around.

Purdue could do a lot worse then this guy.

Might be a good fit from the track record. This is a "line in the sand" moment for Brohm. Either his pick works or there will be worse fallout later. Should be looking for an experienced, connected and respected coach that can make a difference quickly vs an up an comer project. Very hard to find the next type of Jim Leonhard Def Coordinator. He was groomed under Dave Aranda & Justin Wilcox for a year before becoming Def Coordinator within a year. Purdue cannot afford a miss on this next pick. My $.02

I would agree. brohm needs to get back on track and have a winning season next year. holt was an experienced coach as was Diaco. While many here want an up and comer, i expect brohm to go after an experienced coach once more. and since the season is over as is recruiting, I don't believe the decision will be a quick one. he might even go after an NFL coach. maybe somebody from Auburn's staff. My money is on an old, experienced coach. is kiffin's dad still around? How about tony Dungy?

And no, i doubt Dungy would be considered.

i read an article that said brohm became involved in some of the defensive coaching decisions/preparations for the last couple of games. I don't believe brohm really wanted to dedicate his energy to fixing our defense.

as i said, brohm needs a winning season next year. he's going to need somebody with recruiting skills, developmental track record, and somebody who can manage the defense on his own. let's take a page from the movie - remember the titans! brohm is going to be like Denzel Washington, and hand ver the defensive responsibilities to somebody he can trust will be able to handle them. a

and that points to an experienced, old coach.

I don't know enough about defensive coaches. but i'd say it would be somebody who has no aspirations of being a head coach. and somebody from a power 5 team who enjoyed past success. I don't believe he'll go after somebody from a lesser conference or an up and comer. and no to Spack!

I wouldn't mind seeing some other assistant coaches replaced as well.

I would argue that finding a retread who is suddenly going to find his groove at Purdue after years of bouncing around is more of an exception. See Diaco. See Holt. You might not find the next Jim Leonhard, maybe that wasn't the best example, but Brohm could surely find a younger guy who engages the players and who he can have more influence over. If there is a seasoned guy out there who is a perfect fit, then ok. Maybe a recently fired head coach who is a great assistant. At this point I think Jeff is probably feeling burned by picking experienced guys who he thought he could just turn loose to run the defense their way. Unfortunately if they are both good and experienced, they likely aren't available. If he had unlimited time I think he would just as soon run the defense himself than spin the coordinator wheel again.

Maybe an Alabama position coach ... they would bring good recruiting

Possibly...but as we saw with Hazell -- a product of O$U coaching -- he was used to making (O$U) offers at the 11th hour and kids would jump, because they grew up DREAMING of playing for THE Ohio $tate University. Hazell didn't understand that you needed extra effort and had to build longterm relationships to secure good prospects, you couldn't string player along during the recruitment period and then cherry-pick your players with late offers. I suspect its the same (if not greater) at Alabama, where you don't have to work hard to recruit as you already KNOW that are going to let you in the door (wearing National Championship rings on every finger) two weeks before signing day. That won't work at Purdue.

You see the same in basketball; Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, even Michigan State (to an extent) sign top classes annually NOT because they're better recruiters...but because kid's grow-up knowing that if you play at a Blue Blood there's a likelihood that you'll make a final four.

I'm not saying an Alabama position coach 'couldn't' win here, but it's won't be because they're better recruiters. PLUS, those coaches are conditioned to coach the 5* athletes who show up as Freshmen already exceptional...and they have far less to "develop" a 2* or 3* players to perform at B1G levels.

I'd rather see a DC from a mid-major school, who's proven that he can convince stud athletes to NOT attend one of the "storied" programs, and one who knows how to scheme average talent to win games; NOT a coach who's conditioned to just "out talent" his opponents.

Last edited:
I would argue that finding a retread who is suddenly going to find his groove at Purdue after years of bouncing around is more of an exception. See Diaco. See Holt. You might not find the next Jim Leonhard, maybe that wasn't the best example, but Brohm could surely find a younger guy who engages the players and who he can have more influence over. If there is a seasoned guy out there who is a perfect fit, then ok. Maybe a recently fired head coach who is a great assistant. At this point I think Jeff is probably feeling burned by picking experienced guys who he thought he could just turn loose to run the defense their way. Unfortunately if they are both good and experienced, they likely aren't available. If he had unlimited time I think he would just as soon run the defense himself than spin the coordinator wheel again.
Good rebuttal. Cort Dennison has been brought up. If he is exceptionally smart i.e. can think on his feet, make adjustments and communication is excellent, then go after him hard. If not, go after Brock Spack. He had solid defenses under Tiller, is doing well as a head coach and can hit the ground running at Purdue with Defense & recruiting Indiana & Illinois territories. I would not categorize Spack as a re-tread...he is much better than that and had bled Gold and Black.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Good rebuttal. Cort Dennison has been brought up. If he is exceptionally smart i.e. can think on his feet, make adjustments and communication is excellent, then go after him hard. If not, go after Brock Spack. He had solid defenses under Tiller, is doing well as a head coach and can hit the ground running at Purdue with Defense & recruiting Indiana & Illinois territories. I would not categorize Spack as a re-tread...he is much better than that and had bled Gold and Black.
I have no idea if Spack has any interest in being an assistant at this point. For a lot of people, to go back to the same job from earlier in your career would feel like a step backwards, even if the money is a bit better. And with far less job security.. That's a big one. Given that, I just don't think this is going to be a very attractive job opening to a lot of experienced candidates with high-end resumes. The expectation has been set that you produce immediate results with less talent than many of your peers. An up-and-comer might be more risk tolerant and see it as a high leverage situation but with plenty of time to recover their career if it doesn't work out. For an older coach it might be a nail in their coffin. Holt didn't exactly land on his feet after Purdue canned him. If you can pry a guy like Dennison away from UofL (basically a lateral move with more risk) you take him.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Instead of Spack check out his ex d/c Spencer Nowinsky who now coaches at Miami Ohio.Spack would want a head job that Purdue by passed years ago. Thanks again Burk!!

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Problem with an up and comer is keeping them. I'd like an up and comer as well, but don't want to rebuild in a few years.
I look at it the other way. If a DC does such a good job he gets a Head coaching job somewhere else then that’s good for us. If you are replacing based on success that’s not a bad problem to have.

Possibly...but as we saw with Hazell -- who had been a product of O$U coaching -- he was used to making offers at the 11th hour and kids would jump, because they grew up DREAMING of playing for THE Ohio $tate University. Hazell missed out on LOTS of guys because he wouldn't put the time in to build a longterm relationship, and instead thought he could cherry-pick his players and make offers late. I suspect its the same (if not greater) at Alabama, where you don't have to work hard to recruit as you already KNOW that most any kid is going to let you in the door (wearing National Championship rings on every finger) a couple weeks before signing day. That won't work at Purdue.

You see the same in basketball; because Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, even Michigan State (to an extent) sign top classes every year does NOT because they're better recruiters...it's because kid's grow-up knowing that if you play at one of those schools there's a likelihood that you'll make a final four. Kids are pre-conditioned to being interested in playing ball at those Blue Blood prestigious programs.

Now I'm not saying an Alabama position coach 'couldn't' win here, but it's won't be because they're great recruiters. Note that those position coaches are also conditioned to coach the 5* athletes who show up as Freshmen already exceptional...and they have far less to "develop" a 2* or 3* players to perform at B1G levels.

I'd rather see a DC from a mid-major school, who's won proven that he can convince stud athletes to NOT attend one of the "Storied" programs, and one who knows how to scheme average talent to win games; NOT a coach who's conditioned to just "out talent" his opponents.

What you said about coaches from blue bloods might be true most of the time, but Mike Locksley at Maryland coached at Alabama a few years and is recruiting quite well now at Maryland. It just depends on the specific person.

As we're all mushrooms being kept in the dark and fed s**t, I find these types of posts amusing and, as I don't follow college football that close, not very entertaining. After a decision has been made, why doesn't someone post the proposed candidates and who suggested them and then we can have a good laugh. And then later, if the candidate isn't successful, most can claim their brilliance in not mentioning him.

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
What you said about coaches from blue bloods might be true most of the time, but Mike Locksley at Maryland coached at Alabama a few years and is recruiting quite well now at Maryland. It just depends on the specific person.

Locksley was never a position coach at Alabama...he was the offensive coordinator. Prior to Alabama he had 6+ years of offensive coordinator experience at several schools and had already been a HEAD coach for 3+ years. He moved from OC at Alabama to HEAD coach at Maryland...That's HARDLY an apples-to-apples comparison about Purdue hiring an Alabama "position" coach to become Purdue's defensive coordinator. He also had 28 (!) years of college coaching experience at all levels prior to "he's recruiting well at Maryland."

@BoilerUpThenHammerDown 's assertion was "hire an Alabama position coach ... because they would bring in great recruits." Comparing that to Mike Lockley isn't relevant, imho.

Last edited:
Instead of Spack check out his ex d/c Spencer Nowinsky who now coaches at Miami Ohio.Spack would want a head job that Purdue by passed years ago. Thanks again Burk!!
I have now checked his profile out and it too is impressive. Hopefully, he gets a consideration.

How about our own TJ McCollum? He seemed like a smart and very productive player, with some coaching experience now. Young and can be expected to stay for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT