ADVERTISEMENT

MSU game thread

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
End of first quarter, MSU 16 Purdue 9. We are breaking their press, then pulling the ball out and waiting for MSU to set their defense before looking to score. Its working about as well as you would expect such a foolish strategy to work.

Last edited:
end of 1st half, MSU 35- Purdue 21. Katie got a stupid tech with 30 seconds left in the half that gave up two extra points and almost another basket. Swanson with 11, Stevenson with 4 and Ellis with 6 is all of Purdue's scoring. C. Harper, and Madison with 2 fouls in the first half. Rebounding edge to MSU 20-18, but Purdue is shooting 30% from the field and 27% from 3.

Last edited:
Honestly forgot they were playing tonight - just tuned in to the radio broadcast, Tim Newton was saying MSU is scoring somewhat easily - “couple of passes and a layup” - whereas Purdue has to work very hard in the half-court offense to even get a shot up. Sounds like they are overmatched…. again…

Reactions: MichaelRR
Followed the first half on gamecast. Is MSU that much better, or is Purdue just going through the motions?

• Sad
Followed the first half on gamecast. Is MSU that much better, or is Purdue just going through the motions?
MSU has a new coach that took over a very poorly created roster with 12 guards and 1 post. They have then had 3 season ending injuries to contributing players so are down to only 7 that contribute, and they are still literally running circles around us because they are playing hard and we are playing our patented stand around and watch game plan.

46-36 MSU, we are starting to show more fight, Terry with 13 rebounds, Ellis and Swanson with 13 points each.

Had a chance to cut it to 6 at the end of the 3rd. Instead, we stood around and Jeanae dribbled for 25 seconds before throwing up a desperate heave. Then MSU scores 7 straight. Game over.

Reactions: tomgloe
Had a chance to cut it to 6 at the end of the 3rd. Instead, we stood around and Jeanae dribbled for 25 seconds before throwing up a desperate heave. Then MSU scores 7 straight. Game over.
Chipped it back to down 5, with under 30 seconds left, but I think its too little too late.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Listening to Katie's after game interview with Tim, makes me shake my head. "We got good shots in the first half, they just didn't go in, so we just kept at it and kept doing the same things and more shots fell in the second half."

I'm sorry, if the shots are not falling, flex the offense to take different shots to try and get something to build on. She sounds way too much like Woodson at IU men "we just need to stay together and get over the hump" Both of them need to learn to adjust in game and it shows that NEITHER OF THEM had a day of D1 experience as a coach before being hired to coach their alma mater's 3 years ago.

Negatives -

When we made that great run towards the end and had it down to 4, we gave up two easy layups that pretty much sealed it. Sophie fell behind on the first and I don't think Terry hedged hard enough on the cutter who got an easy layup. The second layup seemed like maybe Harper? and Layden? had miscommunication and neither contested the easy layup. Disappointing to see when we had all the momentum.

Just wanted more from Layden and Harper in this one.

Positives -

Abbey Ellis and her grit, energy, everything. She tried to will us to victory and I commend her for her aggressiveness on not just offense but defense. She fought like hell for some of those rebounds, even if she didn't get them. Hope she continues to drive the ball more in these last few games.

Swanson - career night. Even thought she was a bit better defensively.

Coach Gearlds had a couple nice inbound plays late to free Swanson(made 1, missed the other), but nice to see a great play design and executed well by the players.

Final thoughts -

Proud of the team for fighting back, MSU is the more talented and experienced team, more to play for but we finally fought back and didn't lie down.

Need scorers, the player who dominates the ball can’t go 0-3 with 7 turnovers, kudos on the 15 rebounds but that’s not the recipe for a winning basketball team. I hope Reynolds can score the ball next year at the point, also, I hope the team is more athletic, looks like a MAC team when I watch them athletically. In over 54 minutes Purdue had two girls who have played college hoops a combined 11 years tally 2 points on 1-10 shooting, can’t win with that type of production.

From the IU men's board talking about their 3rd year alumnus coach:
"College players are very impressionable, and very malleable. If our staff had taught them how to play correctly, they'd play much more correctly.

At some level, they do need to "make shots", so there's always an element of blame on players that aren't executing. But when the failures to execute become this routine...the fault shifts completely to the coaching staff."

The similarities of the two programs right now is eerie.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford

"College players are very impressionable, and very malleable. If our staff had taught them how to play correctly, they'd play much more correctly.

At some level, they do need to "make shots", so there's always an element of blame on players that aren't executing. But when the failures to execute become this routine...the fault shifts completely to the coaching staff."

At least Indiana's still on the plus side of .500. Of course, they also have more elite talent.

Good post, both teams have guards that can’t shoot, players like Galloway and Terry are nice role/bench players, putting the ball in their hands most of the game isn’t a winning recipe. It absolutely goes to coaching/recruiting, pretty simple, if you can’t score you can’t win. I will say this though, IU men have 3 five star players in their starting lineup, Woodson might not make it past the year.

Purdue’s offense is horrible, often it’s just like this with Terry passing to a corner with someone launching and usually missing an outside shot. In todays game the one that controls the ball needs to be able to score, defenses sag and we see launches as the shot clock winds down, I’m glad most that play almost the entire game will be gone, time for new blood and hopefully a new offensive plan.

Reactions: Gesysp

Are we talking about just this season or long term outlook of the two programs(next 3-4 years)?

Purdue’s offense is horrible, often it’s just like this with Terry passing to a corner with someone launching and usually missing an outside shot. In todays game the one that controls the ball needs to be able to score, defenses sag and we see launches as the shot clock winds down, I’m glad most that play almost the entire game will be gone, time for new blood and hopefully a new offensive plan.
I'd agree that whoever has the ball the most needs to be able to score, but more importantly, be able to create for others/Break defenses down. Teams sag off Terry some but it's not like they're below the free throw line while she's on the perimeter. I mentioned this in another post, but we need a PG who can consistently get in the lane and create open shots for others, while also being able to score here and there to keep the defense honest. Terry is a good passer but not someone who will take you off the dribble and create an open shot for someone. At least not consistently.

Good post, both teams have guards that can’t shoot, players like Galloway and Terry are nice role/bench players, putting the ball in their hands most of the game isn’t a winning recipe. It absolutely goes to coaching/recruiting, pretty simple, if you can’t score you can’t win. I will say this though, IU men have 3 five star players in their starting lineup, Woodson might not make it past the year.
Gearlds doesn't have a 4.5 million dollar a year NIL war chest to use to buy players either. With the right slimeball coach IU will own the Big Ten.

Both I think at this point.
The perception of the programs are in two different places I'd argue. One is building for the long haul and has stacked 2 of 3 very good classes(23, 25), while IU is in win now mode, buy portal players and recruit one or two five stars every year.

IU has a 65 year old coach who never coached in college, has poor roster construction, has brought in elite talent and was grandfathered one of IU's all time greats for two years(TJD). His offensive style hasn't changed in all 3 years(heavy post, don't shoot many 3's). Has a trunk of NIL(as you just mentioned above) to grab and shape a roster however he wants. Patience is growing thin and you could say about half the fans want him gone.

Purdue has a 39 year old who has coached in college(albeit lower division, but still knows how to deal with actual kids). Gearlds was supposed to get a year of grooming before receiving the full responsibility of a div 1 HC. Her first two years they played a more modern style of basketball(1 in 4 out, shoot alot of 3's). She does not have a bunch of NIL to reshape the roster right away.

The perception of the programs are in two different places I'd argue. One is building for the long haul and has stacked 2 of 3 very good classes(23, 25), while IU is in win now mode, buy portal players and recruit one or two five stars every year.

IU has a 65 year old coach who never coached in college, has poor roster construction, has brought in elite talent and was grandfathered one of IU's all time greats for two years(TJD). His offensive style hasn't changed in all 3 years(heavy post, don't shoot many 3's). Has a trunk of NIL(as you just mentioned above) to grab and shape a roster however he wants. Patience is growing thin and you could say about half the fans want him gone.

Purdue has a 39 year old who has coached in college(albeit lower division, but still knows how to deal with actual kids). Gearlds was supposed to get a year of grooming before receiving the full responsibility of a div 1 HC. Her first two years they played a more modern style of basketball(1 in 4 out, shoot alot of 3's). She does not have a bunch of NIL to reshape the roster right awayYeah, once IU cIU is far more likely to dump their failed alumnus than Purdue, we kept the last one 14
IU is far more likely to dump their failed alumnus experiment, we kept our last one 14+ years. Once IU changes and gets a competent bench coach that doesn't mind wading in the slime that is their NIL deals to buy players, IU will be at the top of the conference within a couple of years. In the women's game, the portal is not nearly as helpful to rebuilding a team immediately unless you have big name recognition like Kim Mulkey. And Purdue women's "modern offense" is a 20+ year old high school offense copied from Benton Central. With no past, no name recognition as a coach, no NIL funds to speak of, and 14 years of history of losing and declining program, KG really had no realistic alternative to building the team through long term recruiting. She dipped into the portal early to fill out the roster, but we see this year how low the ceiling is for those players. But as coaches and their ability to run games, develop players, and game plan for opponents; KG and MW are eerily similar to each other in their level of competence.

IU is far more likely to dump their failed alumnus experiment, we kept our last one 14+ years. Once IU changes and gets a competent bench coach that doesn't mind wading in the slime that is their NIL deals to buy players, IU will be at the top of the conference within a couple of years. In the women's game, the portal is not nearly as helpful to rebuilding a team immediately unless you have big name recognition like Kim Mulkey. And Purdue women's "modern offense" is a 20+ year old high school offense copied from Benton Central. With no past, no name recognition as a coach, no NIL funds to speak of, and 14 years of history of losing and declining program, KG really had no realistic alternative to building the team through long term recruiting. She dipped into the portal early to fill out the roster, but we see this year how low the ceiling is for those players. But as coaches and their ability to run games, develop players, and game plan for opponents; KG and MW are eerily similar to each other in their level of competence.
I haven't been as locked in to the team the last 2 years as I am this season, but player development is something I'm looking forward to next season. It would be pretty disappointing if players like Stevenson, Jones, and Swanson don't take a nice step in production on both ends next season.

I think we've seen different gameplans defensively with teams(not much success) but at least we've tried a variety of defenses.

Offensively, there was a couple new inbound plays from the sideline which worked. I think we ran a new action/play during the first play of the msu game where Terry had the ball near the FT line and dumped it to a cutting Ellis. Obviously just one play, but yeah id like to see more movement and screening on offense for sure.

Was it any different offensively last year or did we just have better spacing, shooting and experience on the team?

I haven't been as locked in to the team the last 2 years as I am this season, but player development is something I'm looking forward to next season. It would be pretty disappointing if players like Stevenson, Jones, and Swanson don't take a nice step in production on both ends next season.

I think we've seen different gameplans defensively with teams(not much success) but at least we've tried a variety of defenses.

Offensively, there was a couple new inbound plays from the sideline which worked. I think we ran a new action/play during the first play of the msu game where Terry had the ball near the FT line and dumped it to a cutting Ellis. Obviously just one play, but yeah id like to see more movement and screening on offense for sure.

Was it any different offensively last year or did we just have better spacing, shooting and experience on the team?
Same offense the last 17 years, the biggest difference between Versyp and Gearlds to start was KG upped the tempo and have the shooters more freedom to shoot when open without having to run 20 seconds every possession. This year when we go half court we are back to running clock before shooting.

Also, statistically and to the eye test, Ellis, Madison, Terry, and Smith were better players their first year under Gearlds than they are in their third year under her. Caitlyn is about the same both years.

Also, statistically and to the eye test, Ellis, Madison, Terry, and Smith were better players their first year under Gearlds than they are in their third year under her. Caitlyn is about the same both years.

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of players statistics go down when on a young bad team. They're just forced to do more than they're capable of because the freshmen aren't ready. Sure some of that is on CKG for her roster construction, lets just hope these lumps we are taking now will pay off in the coming years when our freshmen grow and more talent is brought in.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if alot of players statistics go down when on a young bad team. They're just forced to do more than they're capable of because the freshmen aren't ready. Sure some of that is on CKG for her roster construction, lets just hope these lumps we are taking now will pay off in the coming years when our freshmen grow and more talent is brought in.
I was very encouraged by Sophie Swanson's play Wednesday night. She definitely has no fear. I love how quickly she can release the ball. And obviously she's pretty accurate with it too. I also loved when they started closing out on her she put it on the floor and took it to the hole. I can't wait to see her when her knee is 100%.

I was very encouraged by Sophie Swanson's play Wednesday night. She definitely has no fear. I love how quickly she can release the ball. And obviously she's pretty accurate with it too. I also loved when they started closing out on her she put it on the floor and took it to the hole. I can't wait to see her when her knee is 100%.
She was the Sun Times player of the year as a Jr, she can hope, hopefully she stays healthy. Maybe now since postseason is done we’ll see a few more minutes from returning players? I really don’t need to see Harper and Terry eat up 35 minutes a night.

Reactions: tomgloe
Yeah she's a baller, and we badly need her shooting.

Reactions: Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT