ADVERTISEMENT

Mackey's Finial Game

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
The last game at Mackey for a class that is unmatched in games won. I and my wife are going as a guest of a player. We get to enjoy the whole senior day experience and more. We are extremely grateful for this gift. I get offers to go to games, but normally refuse because the stairs are scarry when you can't trust your balance. This offer I simply cannot refuse! Yes, I am bragging, and I apologize for doing so. It will be a sad day for some of us but a celebration of a class that may never have an equal. And definitely a player that has no equal IMO. We are going to the final four this year and hopefully win it all. Senior day may have lost some of its luster with a player like Jaden Ivey leaving early. People talk about rankings and stars for me it's about heart. I understand what is meant by he's a Purdue type of player it means he is a winner who doesn't stop working. That is, it and no class has out worked this one. Biggy set the standard for hard work and this class has honored him with their efforts. I'm not sure why other fan bases hate us as much as they do. I take it as a complement to our players an admission that they have out worked you. Yes, there is still work to do but this is the last home game for those who have called it home. Thank You to all of our fans who get it. And Thank You to all of our seniors!

The last game at Mackey for a class that is unmatched in games won. I and my wife are going as a guest of a player. We get to enjoy the whole senior day experience and more. We are extremely grateful for this gift. I get offers to go to games, but normally refuse because the stairs are scarry when you can't trust your balance. This offer I simply cannot refuse! Yes, I am bragging, and I apologize for doing so. It will be a sad day for some of us but a celebration of a class that may never have an equal. And definitely a player that has no equal IMO. We are going to the final four this year and hopefully win it all. Senior day may have lost some of its luster with a player like Jaden Ivey leaving early. People talk about rankings and stars for me it's about heart. I understand what is meant by he's a Purdue type of player it means he is a winner who doesn't stop working. That is, it and no class has out worked this one. Biggy set the standard for hard work and this class has honored him with their efforts. I'm not sure why other fan bases hate us as much as they do. I take it as a complement to our players an admission that they have out worked you. Yes, there is still work to do but this is the last home game for those who have called it home. Thank You to all of our fans who get it. And Thank You to all of our seniors!
I hate to see them for the last time in Mackey. They have been wonderful representatives of not feeling they were entitled and as you say worked hard to get where they are. It has been a wonderful year watching this team and for the team and coach's sake I hope they finish strong. Don't be afraid to yell at me if you happen to see me walk down to about 3 or 4 rows from the court to chit chat for a couple of minutes assuming you are close to where the parents are. I assume I can still get down there. The MSU game they wouldn't let anyone without a ticket to go down the aisle of the one next to it...and I understand why. Those seniors will have earned three rings and will have maybe four before the last tourney for the rest of their lives. I told Dustin at the MSU..."Do you have any idea of all the great players that went through the Big and never got 1 ring let alone 3 and maybe more?"

Isn't this team only the third team in the history of the Big to win back to back outright championships? Third team in the history!!!!!! Isn't Purdue only the second team to have a 3 Pete in men's basketball? What long lived accomplishments Purdue has!

I hate to see them for the last time in Mackey. They have been wonderful representatives of not feeling they were entitled and as you say worked hard to get where they are. It has been a wonderful year watching this team and for the team and coach's sake I hope they finish strong. Don't be afraid to yell at me if you happen to see me walk down to about 3 or 4 rows from the court to chit chat for a couple of minutes assuming you are close to where the parents are. I assume I can still get down there. The MSU game they wouldn't let anyone without a ticket to go down the aisle of the one next to it...and I understand why. Those seniors will have earned three rings and will have maybe four before the last tourney for the rest of their lives. I told Dustin at the MSU..."Do you have any idea of all the great players that went through the Big and never got 1 ring let alone 3 and maybe more?"

Isn't this team only the third team in the history of the Big to win back to back outright championships? Third team in the history!!!!!! Isn't Purdue only the second team to have a 3 Pete in men's basketball? What long lived accomplishments Purdue has!

Since NCAA Tournament - 1939:

Illinois (42/43)
Illinois (51/52)
Indiana (53/54)
Iowa (55/56)
Ohio State (60-62)
Michigan (65/66)
Indiana (75/76)
Indiana (80/81)
Michigan (85/86)
Purdue (94-96)
Ohio State (06/07)
Purdue (23/24)

Ohio State and Purdue only schools to win three straight outright.

Any idea where we can park for the game? I have to leave right after and head back to NY
We have a grandson who will drop us off. Getting picked up may be an issue. The people who have parking across the street are good options if it ever stops raining. I have friends who have parking in JPC club lot, I don't want to ask for their pass again. Good luck!

you are not bragging, I wish I could be there to see Zack off. You and I will never see a player like him in our lifetime again. Also will be bittersweet to see one of my all time faves Mason Gillis for the last time

Since NCAA Tournament - 1939:

Illinois (42/43)
Illinois (51/52)
Indiana (53/54)
Iowa (55/56)
Ohio State (60-62)
Michigan (65/66)
Indiana (75/76)
Indiana (80/81)
Michigan (85/86)
Purdue (94-96)
Ohio State (06/07)
Purdue (23/24)

Ohio State and Purdue only schools to win three straight outright.
Purdue has quite a distinguished basketball program few are aware over many years. As you know the potential for bias in seeding teams and putting them in certain locations were simply any particular people bias years ago not to mention less teams (Purdue saw some of that in the mid to late 80s). Now we still have that bias, but it is shared or reduced with the inherent algorithm embedded in the data. However, that bias exists all season and not adjusted as the season goes on or at the last minute. It is what it is.

Any idea where we can park for the game? I have to leave right after and head back to NY
You can park close to Mackey and pay $20/$30 if you get there probably an hour or so before the game. I think the Northwestern garage is around $10 for basketball, but depending on what ramp you get...it too could hold you up getting out and you need to pick the correct ramp that doesn't "T" into the line. Or you can park east of Mackey and walk a few blocks. I haven't looked to see if it is going to rain and you cannot bring an umbrella into Mackey unless you snuck it in.

Reactions: SaratogaBoiler1
You can park close to Mackey and pay $20/$30 if you get there probably an hour or so before the game. I think the Northwestern garage is around $10 for basketball, but depending on what ramp you get...it too could hold you up getting out and you need to pick the correct ramp that doesn't "T" into the line. Or you can park east of Mackey and walk a few blocks. I haven't looked to see if it is going to rain and you cannot bring an umbrella into Mackey unless you snuck it in.
That is the garage I use when I want to get away from the traffic as quickly as possible. I am always able to park on the downward ramp close to the east exit. A right, a couple of lefts and one more right, and I’m on 9th street heading to Veterans Highway to 52 South. Seems to work out for me.

This Sunday though, if you leave before the Senior Day activities, that should help you no matter where you park.

Reactions: tjreese
This is a special class for many Purdue fans. Each of us has a memory of a special team and also of a special player. For many that player may be Cardinal or Mount or Hummel or Keller or Big Dog or Edey or Ford or Dishinger or Keller or Swanigan or Sichting or Joe Barry and many others.

As we look back, as fans we have been blessed! We have had so many special teams and players. With a couple of exceptions what has made Purdue basketball so awesome is that our players are just as awesome off the court as they are on the court.

I’m a geek. I went to classes with several players. I was friends with a player who played four years but was basically the 12th man on the bench. As an alumni I’ve also met some players. As a parent, I’ve met several Purdue coaches including Painter. And in each case, I was treated with the utmost respect.

That is what makes Purdue a special team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT