ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
The #21-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers are the latest ranked opponent for the Purdue Boilermakers in what shapes up to be an intriguing match-up in Mackey Arena this evening. Scheduled tip coming up at 7:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network. This is the first meeting of two between Minnesota and Purdue with the return game scheduled in 12 days in Williams Arena. Both teams have been off for over a week, and it will be interesting how the first stages of the game play out. Purdue sits in sixth in the conference at 6-4, one-half game behind Wisconsin and Ohio State. Minnesota is further back at 4-5.

The Gophers have some impressive conference wins this year, having defeated Iowa and Ohio State, and they also dealt Michigan its only loss. They are sometimes a difficult team to gauge. Their shooting can be erratic, but when they are on, they can beat just about anyone. Marcus Carr is a difficult match-up, and when he is more selective, mixing in penetrating drives and facilitating, the Gophers can be very effective on offense. They have good length and have their moments stopping opposing teams, but they are vulnerable on the glass.

The Boilers will be without Sasha Stefanovic again, as he is missing the second of three games, due to COVID-19 protocols. Purdue needs to execute much better than it did against Michigan. I think it's pretty much the same formula for the Boilers - make the extra pass, hit the good shots working the paint and the perimeter, limit the turnovers, and control the glass. Trevion Williams can set the tone.....and I expect Brandon Newman to have a strong game.....his last couple of outings have not quite been up to the standard he has shown over the course of the season. Eric Hunter and Jaden Ivey will have their hands full with Marcus Carr and the rest of the Minnesota back-court. Gabe Kalscheur has been a little off this year, but he can be very capable from deep.....the Boilers don't need him to suddenly find his stroke and get hot.

I think this will be a highly competitive game....Minnesota hasn't won on the road yet this year in conference; however, those games were against Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. They're quite capable of breaking through, especially if the Boilers lose focus or make too many mistakes. Can the Boilers get back on track after the loss to Michigan and keep the Gophers searching for a road conference win? We shall see shortly.

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

The #21-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers are the latest ranked opponent for the Purdue Boilermakers in what shapes up to be an intriguing match-up in Mackey Arena this evening. Scheduled tip coming up at 7:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network. This is the first meeting of two between Minnesota and Purdue with the return game scheduled in 12 days in Williams Arena. Both teams have been off for over a week, and it will be interesting how the first stages of the game play out. Purdue sits in sixth in the conference at 6-4, one-half game behind Wisconsin and Ohio State. Minnesota is further back at 4-5.

The Gophers have some impressive conference wins this year, having defeated Iowa and Ohio State, and they also dealt Michigan its only loss. They are sometimes a difficult team to gauge. Their shooting can be erratic, but when they are on, they can beat just about anyone. Marcus Carr is a difficult match-up, and when he is more selective, mixing in penetrating drives and facilitating, the Gophers can be very effective on offense. They have good length and have their moments stopping opposing teams, but they are vulnerable on the glass.

The Boilers will be without Sasha Stefanovic again, as he is missing the second of three games, due to COVID-19 protocols. Purdue needs to execute much better than it did against Michigan. I think it's pretty much the same formula for the Boilers - make the extra pass, hit the good shots working the paint and the perimeter, limit the turnovers, and control the glass. Trevion Williams can set the tone.....and I expect Brandon Newman to have a strong game.....his last couple of outings have not quite been up to the standard he has shown over the course of the season. Eric Hunter and Jaden Ivey will have their hands full with Marcus Carr and the rest of the Minnesota back-court. Gabe Kalscheur has been a little off this year, but he can be very capable from deep.....the Boilers don't need him to suddenly find his stroke and get hot.

I think this will be a highly competitive game....Minnesota hasn't won on the road yet this year in conference; however, those games were against Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. They're quite capable of breaking through, especially if the Boilers lose focus or make too many mistakes. Can the Boilers get back on track after the loss to Michigan and keep the Gophers searching for a road conference win? We shall see shortly.

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Been out in the cold all day. Just now showered, had dinner but no makers mark yet. Looking forward to Jaden dropping 3 out 6 three balls. Now maybe I should get that drink now 🙂

Minny does block some shots.....Robbins can also get in foul trouble.

Of course, Gophers with two from deep already....arghhh.

Land..that’s 3 3’s for Minny... Please don’t let that be their thing tonight🙈

Curry can be tough.....also playing the "Jess Settles" role for Minnesota....in his third year and was a freshman in '17. Credit him for battling some tough injuries.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT