Michigan State in 2024

collegehoopsfan123

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2021
3 good wins:

Blowout win against Baylor in Detroit
Home win against Illinois
Home win against Northwestern

Does having 3 good wins and 10 good losses make them an NCAA tournament team?

Reputation from the past has nothing to do with 2023-2024 season results.

How many other Power 5 schools make March Madness with these results?

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Do you think their 2023-2024 regular season results deserved an
NCAA tourney invite?
Some metrics had them clearly in. I don’t think the committee wanted to be the ones to break Izzo's streak. But I know what you are saying. For much of the year they were ugly to watch. They are the lowest scoring team of the 6 Big 10 teams in the tournament. Yet, I will root for them to win(unless they are playing another Big 10 team).

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
What teams that didn't make it had a clearly better season? And don't say Indiana State because they didn't.

Not their results in a vacuum. But what other at-large teams would have a better resume?

Clearly better? I don't think anybody. Yeah, you had Indiana State, Oklahoma, St Johns, etc. with legitimate gripes.....but when you're talking 68 teams.....and when you get to the bubble, it's subjective on certain levels....then the gripes are just sour grapes, perhaps.

Michigan State is doing well with the opportunity so far and getting some help from Mississippi State....whole half to go though. Mississippi State will also have to fight off the seal of approval/kiss of death from Barkley....haha.

Clearly better? I don't think anybody. Yeah, you had Indiana State, Oklahoma, St Johns, etc. with legitimate gripes.....but when you're talking 68 teams.....and when you get to the bubble, it's subjective on certain levels....then the gripes are just sour grapes, perhaps.

Michigan State is doing well with the opportunity so far and getting some help from Mississippi State....whole half to go though. Mississippi State will also have to fight off the seal of approval/kiss of death from Barkley....haha.
I like that Indiana State took the challenge and is doing their best to show the committe that they belonged.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123

100% I never get too upset with the final few teams getting in or not getting in including if/when it's PU. If you're even in that discussion as a Power 5 team, you blew your chance for 3 months to get in for sure.

MSU shooting out of their...... Where was that for 4 months??

Hoggard and Akins are the wild cards - when they play well, Michigan State is another level on offense. Also, Walker's been battling a groin/hamstring issue for a while.

Without that poor stretch when they turned it over like five out of six possessions in the first half, this game would be really out of reach. Mississippi State guards can scoot, but they've been a little out of control in the half court.

North Carolina will have a battle come Saturday.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
Hoggard and Akins are the wild cards - when they play well, Michigan State is another level on offense. Also, Walker's been battling a groin/hamstring issue for a while.

Without that poor stretch when they turned it over like five out of six possessions in the first half, this game would be really out of reach. Mississippi State guards can scoot, but they've been a little out of control in the half court.

North Carolina will have a battle come Saturday.
I don't typically cheer for the Spartans, but I may have to for that game. Best scenario is that Wagner pulls off the upset and I'll be cheering for them.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
What teams that didn't make it had a clearly better season? And don't say Indiana State because they didn't.
Good question. Wish I could compare all the bubble team resumes.
I just hope MSU got in fair and square and not because of Izzo and
his past success.

Some metrics had them clearly in. I don’t think the committee wanted to be the ones to break Izzo's streak. But I know what you are saying. For much of the year they were ugly to watch. They are the lowest scoring team of the 6 Big 10 teams in the tournament. Yet, I will root for them to win(unless they are playing another Big 10 team).
I might root for MSU when they get a new coach.
I got tired of the whole Izzo thing after the 2005 FF.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Metrics are not my thing to fetch, someone smarter can find them. I do think the committee sometimes gives a small boost to a program, not the coach. Under Izzo, 8 final fours, a national championship, a better than expected performance last year. Plus, they were tied with the number 3 team in the country with a minute and change to go in their last loss. Maybe Purdue is the reason. If they had stomped them, maybe they would have fallen off the bubble.

Why does the 8/9 game winner of today (Michigan State)
get more rest for the 2nd round than the winner of the 1/16
game (North Carolina)? Isn't the 1 seed supposed to have
all the advantages because they earned it during the regular
season? In a short turnaround, Michigan State has the advantage.

This has been going on for years where higher seeds get less rest
for the 2nd game. Anyone know why?

I mean the Sunday times aren't set yet right?

I assume the networks have a lot to say about start times.

Reactions: asindc

TV.

TV and $$$$$$.....it's not the next day either.....so not THAT big of a difference for Saturday, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT