ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Decision

We are talking about a kid! Get over it! The one thing about MSU is tournament history. I think Malik would have been special player at Purdue but maybe he wants to be on a potentially special team. Move on....

If and when CMP gets over that hump. These kids we will start to trend our way!

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG
I’ve heard a lot of buzz around Malik Hall going to MSU.

One of my sources, someone who I trust a lot, shared this earlier today:

It’s not looking promising for Purdue.
Lol I call BS on that being said by Malik. Especially being posted by someone not close to the situation.

I mean really this is what things have regressed to? False claims on Twitter?

A team consistently needs some top 50 talent on its roster to win big in the NCAA Tournament...and unfortunately Painter and his assistant coaches are not able to deliver. The AD seems to have accepted mediocrity by extending Painters contact. :(

Maybe so on the last part, I kind of tend to agree. But I think we're talking past each other. If it were the best argument and the one that BIGGIE valued the most, he wouldn't have came out with a top 3 that didn't have Purdue in it just a mere few weeks before he committed to Purdue. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Yes, the roster made a lot practical sense and the complimentary pieces at Purdue worked to his advantage, but it obviously wasn't what mattered to HIM the most (unless of course you mean AFTER Barnes wouldn't approve/sign for him to go to his first choice or the school that he actually committed to first).
I agree that we seem to be talking past each other. What mattered to him most was getting to the NBA. He never, ever hid that. Do you think it was something different. Do you believe that his lifelong dream was to play for Tom Izzo? He knew that playing PF would best prepare him for the NBA. He was naive to believe that Izzo was going to let him play PF, but his not-so-naive guardian could see through it. Izzo is obviously a great salesman, but don't think for a minute that he wasn't telling Swanigan what he wanted to hear to get a commitment.

A team consistently needs some top 50 talent on its roster to win big in the NCAA Tournament...and unfortunately Painter and his assistant coaches are not able to deliver. The AD seems to have accepted mediocrity by extending Painters contact. :(
They've won 30,27,26 games, won a big ten title, been to the B1G tournament championship game, and 2 Sweet Sixteens the past 3 years. Not to mention 3 All Americans. That's not mediocrity. It would be dumb not to re sign him

How many regional finals or FF 4s?? That is where success is measured...not flaming out in the Sweet 16 consistently. I want Purdue to succeed as much as the next Boilermaker fan...but I just don't see big Tournament success happening under Coach Painter. Recruiting success translates to winning on the court in the NCAA Tournament.

Anyone discounting Painter getting Biggie because of his dad need to realize that Hall was leaning Purdue but has several adults and relatives pushing him to M$U so you can’t blame Painter on that.

Also JJJ regrets choosing MSU. I don’t know if he would have picked Purdue but he wishes he would have gone somewhere that he could have played more and get past the round of 32. And anyone saying “well he was the 4th pick”, he could have gone to Ivy Tech and still would have been #4.

False. It's fine to be upset that Malik isn't coming to town but there's no need to just make things up. JJJ raves about MSU, as do his parents. Stick to the facts.

Impacting the game and your comment "if you don't think with a healthy Hummel or Haas we wouldn't have been in the F4" are two completely different things. Stop while you're ahead. Please.
I dislike your attitude regarding this comment. Of course a healthy Haas or a healthy Hummel would have impacted the game. Are you nuts?

The psychological effect of losing Hummel just before the NCAA's was also obvious. To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Perhaps it is you who should stop while you are ahead.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
How many regional finals or FF 4s?? That is where success is measured...not flaming out in the Sweet 16 consistently. I want Purdue to succeed as much as the next Boilermaker fan...but I just don't see big Tournament success happening under Coach Painter. Recruiting success translates to winning on the court in the NCAA Tournament.
That’s how “you” measure success.

False. It's fine to be upset that Malik isn't coming to town but there's no need to just make things up. JJJ raves about MSU, as do his parents. Stick to the facts.

What’s Nix saying these days?

I dislike your attitude regarding this comment. Of course a healthy Haas or a healthy Hummel would have impacted the game. Are you nuts?

The psychological effect of losing Hummel just before the NCAA's was also obvious. To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Perhaps it is you who should stop while you are ahead.

Never said it wouldn't have impacted the game. The idiot I responded to said that Purdue WOULD have been in the Final 4 IF only Haas was healthy. You and I both know that is ridiculous as nobody was touching Villanova that tournament, Purdue included with or without a healthy Haas. Is it probably a closer game if Haas plays, sure, but it's not even a given that Purdue beats TT with a healthy Haas. These hypothetical, what-if F4's as an excuse for keeping Painter are nauseating.

Never said it wouldn't have impacted the game. The idiot I responded to said that Purdue WOULD have been in the Final 4 IF only Haas was healthy. You and I both know that is ridiculous as nobody was touching Villanova that tournament, Purdue included with or without a healthy Haas. Is it probably a closer game if Haas plays, sure, but it's not even a given that Purdue beats TT with a healthy Haas. These hypothetical, what-if F4's as an excuse for keeping Painter are nauseating.

Now how do you know that? Seems as you allow yourself to make claims but when others do it, they are idiots. Stop being a f****** arrogant prick.

I’ve heard a lot of buzz around Malik Hall going to MSU.

One of my sources, someone who I trust a lot, shared this earlier today:

It’s not looking promising for Purdue.
Sounds like Whizzo is doing some strong negative recruiting. Play in March? As good chance at Purdue as at MSU. In fact MSU had flamed out recently.

I’m an arrogant prick for pointing out that nobody came within single digits of Villanova in their 6 tournament games?
WE very well might have beaten them. They did not match up ell against our team with Haas in the line up. Stop being a prick about this.

I have also heard some back door discussions that indicate JJJ regretted his decision to go to MSU. It was not the experience he had hoped for, and the chemistry of the team was not as good as it should have been. Some of the players did not like other players, and some felt certain players were ball hogs. I think there is some significant smoke here to indicate a fire. I don't think the smoke has cleared for this year either.

My bet is that if Malik goes to MSU he may very well regret that decision.

WE very well might have beaten them. They did not match up ell against our team with Haas in the line up. Stop being a prick about this.

I’m being the least prick possible? Again I’m not the one that said Purdue WOULD have been in the F4 IF ONLY Haas was healthy. Sure Purdue could have won and would have at least fared better, but that isn’t what he said. And that’s why I called him out. To assume Purdue was a lock to get the Final 4 on the side of the bracket that included Villanova is ridiculous.

And didn’t match up with our team well? They beat us. In Mackey. Before Brunson was a star. While Spellmam was out because he was ruled ineligible. Before anyone knew who DiVencenzo was. You know, 4 guys who just got drafted in the first 33 picks.

Reactions: RawfNader
You’re above name calling.

Second I think the point is Nova was a buzzsaw last year in the tourney. Purdue with or without Haas, probably would have lost. Is it possible we would have given them a run for their money? Sure but based on their run, it would have been unlikely.

Oh great, I drop by for some intelligent banter and run into a prick contest. CYA all after each game that we win ...

Reactions: cjcollie
You know, it has been years since I've enjoyed a rum & coke. Tonight, while waiting for the little monsters to ring my doorbell, I have had a couple. They taste really good. I don't always drink $30 bottles of wine. Every once in a while I fall off the wagon and go crude.

Don Q rum (the cheap stuff) with diet Pepsi. Yes, I know it sounds uncouth, but damn, it tastes great!

Awesome first post citing a source that almost has as few followers as you.

Just curious, why would Purdue be in his top 3 and Kansas out if that were the case? Purdue just went to two sweet 16s. Hall may pick MSU, but that’s a turd of a post.

Look, only one team can get him. Painter has done everything right and has done an impressive job over the last 4 years at developing players and getting players drafted. If Hall comes to Purdue, especially with Zeke, I guarantee a final four (so long as freak injuries stay away). This squad has that much potential.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Second I think the point is Nova was a buzzsaw last year in the tourney. Purdue with or without Haas, probably would have lost. Is it possible we would have given them a run for their money? Sure but based on their run, it would have been unlikely.
The point is BAB is admitting we would’ve been an Elite 8 team last year with Haas but would’ve lost to the best team in the country and not made the final four. I’m onboard. One would then also assume if only we got the draw Michigan did with a healthy Haas, we would’ve made the final four. So how does that make Painter mediocre?

The point is BAB is admitting we would’ve been an Elite 8 team last year with Haas but would’ve lost to the best team in the country and not made the final four. I’m onboard. One would then also assume if only we got the draw Michigan did with a healthy Haas, we would’ve made the final four. So how does that make Painter mediocre?
I don’t think he is mediocre. Overall he is above average coach. Great at Xs and Os and average recruiter.

Painter is still young - comparatively speaking for a D1 coach. He will figure it out and in time make and E8, F4 and land top 50 kids.

Mathboy doesn't need to be put in check for his name calling.
Probably would have lost? Perhaps...…….or then again maybe not. We will never know. And that is a true statement.

Reactions: BBG
I have also heard some back door discussions that indicate JJJ regretted his decision to go to MSU. It was not the experience he had hoped for, and the chemistry of the team was not as good as it should have been. Some of the players did not like other players, and some felt certain players were ball hogs. I think there is some significant smoke here to indicate a fire. I don't think the smoke has cleared for this year either.

My bet is that if Malik goes to MSU he may very well regret that decision.

Well he is a heck of a recruiter for MSU, and stays in contact

Reactions: SpartyNH
I believe his sister's tweet posted above is probably the most telling and revealing. She's already talking about people being disappointed and they should respect her brother's decision as being the best one for him - not for the school. it's as if she knows his decision is going to make a lot of people sad.

I don't follow twitter. So I will ask, What school has provided hall the most tweets and twitter followings? Purdue ? or MSU?

Reactions: kellygreen10
ADVERTISEMENT