ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Ok Loyer, time to show up next game. Coach for some reason, is giving you PT......earn it.

How a player @ the 2......scores 2 points and countless tos or missed shots and still is awarded with 24 minutes is beyond me.....
CMP continually over values smart heady players that execute his system. And they flop against athletic long guys who speed them up. Happened again today.

But Loyer just needs to hit 3s and play his role. Did NOT belong on the floor tonight, but still was awarded with big minutes. Time to PRODUCE. Gut check time for him. Hope he delivers.

Last edited:
Loyer and Gillis play with soft hands. This is what cost us last year. CMP can't afford to keep them on the court making careless TO's and not scoring, and/or rebounding.

Now the positive....guard play lead this team to a win. We'll need true outside shooters to advance deep in the tourney.

Loyer and Gillis play with soft hands. This is what cost us last year. CMP can't afford to keep them on the court making careless TO's and not scoring, and/or rebounding.

Now the positive....guard play lead this team to a win. We'll need true outside shooters to advance deep in the tourney.

Yea, 4/17 not likely to get it done.

Reactions: Poprudy
Ok Loyer, time to show up next game. Coach for some reason, is giving you PT......earn it.

How a player @ the 2......scores 2 points and countless tos or missed shots and still is awarded with 24 minutes is beyond me.....
CMP continually over values smart heady players that execute his system. And they flop against athletic long guys who speed them up. Happened again today.

But Loyer just needs to hit 3s and play his role. Did NOT belong on the floor tonight, but still was awarded with big minutes. Time to PRODUCE. Gut check time for him. Hope he delivers.
I said the same regarding Loyer during the game. Can't afford to play him with zero (2pts) production.

He’s a decent player, but I wouldn’t say he’s that talented. Really struggles against athletic defenders.
I know it wasn’t a real game, but he had a stretch in the Arkansas scrimmage where he showed what he is capable of. I think he’s a much better player than he showed tonight.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He’s a decent player, but I wouldn’t say he’s that talented. Really struggles against athletic defenders.
Yeah, I feel a lot of people still judge loyer based solely off the pk tournament. He had some nice games last year then really fell off a cliff. As you said, there's really nothing to suggest he's "too talented" of a player for anything.

It was said by many that Loyer’s problems down the stretch were due from the fatigue of a college schedule? Is it possible that rather than fatigue, other schools watched some game film and adjusted and played a different and better defense against him? Was there a team that Purdue played twice last year that Loyer had a better game the second time around? I’m just asking?

Reactions: bonefish1
Remember an announcer, early last year, saying that a 3-pointer was like a layup for Loyer. He must be historically bad at shooting layups.

Reactions: pboiler18
It was said by many that Loyer’s problems down the stretch were due from the fatigue of a college schedule? Is it possible that rather than fatigue, other schools watched some game film and adjusted and played a different and better defense against him? Was there a team that Purdue played twice last year that Loyer had a better game the second time around? I’m just asking?
I'm not saying I know the answer but I'm not sure its guys playing him different. He's missed a lot of wide open 3s. He's got to start hitting the three. He really doesn't give us much of anything else.

It's early in the season so I don't think we need to panic but I just hope he doesn't start pressing and this thing snowballs.

Not a great defender or ball handler. If he's not hitting threes don't see the upside. Heide and Colvin can help the team in March.

I didn't get a good look at it, but when Loyer turned it over immediately on an inbounds pass under the Gonzaga basket, what exactly happened there? He was complaining immediately as if the defender touched/stole it literally out of his hands, which is supposed to be a technical foul. They didn't show a very good replay.

That being said, Loyer is clearly on the struggle bus. I'm not sure what the answer is.

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
I didn't get a good look at it, but when Loyer turned it over immediately on an inbounds pass under the Gonzaga basket, what exactly happened there? He was complaining immediately as if the defender touched/stole it literally out of his hands, which is supposed to be a technical foul. They didn't show a very good replay.

That being said, Loyer is clearly on the struggle bus. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I may have to rescind my game thread comment on that play I think.....replay I saw wasn't crystal clear, but it's possible the Gonzaga player stole it from him while he had the ball inbounding, which if the case should have been a technical foul. Fletch immediately motioned to the referee.....shades of NW and Collins, haha.

Update - I took a closer look and pulled a Jay Geils - Freeze Frame.....looks like Stromer (#4) knocked it out of Fletch's grasp before he inbounded - should have been a technical....oh well. Go to 13:11 of the highlight video.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tjreese
I may have to rescind my game thread comment on that play I think.....replay I saw wasn't crystal clear, but it's possible the Gonzaga player stole it from him while he had the ball inbounding, which if the case should have been a technical foul. Fletch immediately motioned to the referee.....shades of NW and Collins, haha.

Update - I took a closer look and pulled a Jay Geils - Freeze Frame.....looks like Stromer (#4) knocked it out of Fletch's grasp before he inbounded - should have been a technical....oh well. Go to 13:11 of the highlight video.

Wow exactly as I thought. The ref is right there.

I swear we should have won by 20.

3Qdn.gif

Loyer had an off night, maybe he had a touch of Morton’s Flu. Glad we are deep enough to overcome that and a very average Officiating Crew that let the men play, foul and overlook many things such as the defender reaching over the vertical plane on an inbounds pass to touch the ball. Inbound official was too busy looking at the other 8 instead of watching the inbounder and defender to see the violation!

Morton is terrible. He needs to be removed from the rotation. Gives us nothing

While Morton is no doubt offensively challenged, the offense as a whole works while he is in usually.

If he stops his guy, I will be happy. Seems to be his role. And I am pretty critical when it comes to Morton. Sometimes over the top. After all, I started the "man crush" term on him & CMP, long ago.

Anyway, CMP should know the type of guy, he can and cannot stop. At least he should by now......I get pretty frustrated when CMP puts him on a speedster or in a scenario where there is a high probability he ends up in a switch with a quick dude. CMP should know better. At this point Morton's success or lack there of -- is 100% on the coaches. They should know what situations suit his defensive talents....and which do not.

While I do think Loyer has a high ceiling and could be a great player before he graduates, if he is playing afraid to fail and cannot hit wide open 3s, then he is a complete liability and should sit until he gets his head back on straight. CMP simply running him out there as a starter at this point is just him being stubborn.

While I do think Loyer has a high ceiling and could be a great player before he graduates, if he is playing afraid to fail and cannot hit wide open 3s, then he is a complete liability and should sit until he gets his head back on straight. CMP simply running him out there as a starter at this point is just him being stubborn.

CMP stubborn......say it ain't so..lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT