ADVERTISEMENT

Janae Terry (and other players)

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
The game against SeMo was pretty much as good as it gets with Terry. 10 rebounds, 11 assists, and only 1 turnover. First non points double double in wbball this season in the nation. She missed her only shot, a heave from halfcourt at the end of a quarter and she only hit one of two fts when she got fouled on a putback in the paint. Only one point, HOWEVER, we had a couple big scoring droughts when she went to the bench. At Illinois Terry played SF and got her points off drives tot eh rim or posting up. Both require a competent pg to get her the ball on time and in the right place. We very clearly have no one like that on the roster BUT Terry, as evidenced by the way scoring ebbs and flows depending on her being in the game most of the time. But you cannot play off of her because she will drive if given the lane and the more space you give her the mosre assists she will likely rack up. Additionally you need to guard her with someone kind of strong to try and keep her off the boards.

I have bigger concerns than Terry lack of scoring however:

Jayla Smith 5 Assists, 12 TOs, shooting abysmally 38% from field 7% from 3 and 50% from line. compare that to Emily Monson about 100 less minutes played (137-38) 7 Assists, 6 turnovers, only shooting 22 % from the field but 33% from 3 pt range. Or Sophie Swanson who in only 22 minutes in 3 games is scoring 5.7 per game to Smith's 5.1 and Swanson is shooting 41% from field 27% from line. Not great, but a great improvement over Smith.

McKenna Layden 8th on the team in minutes played, getting 13 a game and scoring 1.7 points per game. In 5 games she has been scoreless. Shooting 24% from the field, 29% from range and pulling down 2.3 boards a game (which isn't bad) She also has 5 assists to only 2 TOs and 5 steals. She doesn't hurt us but she adds very little in her time on the floor. When she is playing we really are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Alaina Harper last player in the regular rotation 9th in minutes getting 6 a game. she has 6 points, all in garbage time against bad teams. She provides rebounding, at 4.4 per game, just behind her sister at 4.7 despite getting 1/5th as many minutes. Beyond that, Alaina is just taking up space on the floor on offense, and when she and McKenna are in together we are truly playing 2 people down on offense.

I would like to see more of Swanson earlier in games that matter and I am not opposed to her getting Smith's minutes. She is a scorer, and only Ellis and Jones have that scorers mentality of our regular rotation IMO. I am hopeful if Mila gets healthy and in shape she can move past McKenna and Alaina and push them WAY down the bench as well. Otherwise its starting to look like a long and rather disappointing season in store for us.

The game against SeMo was pretty much as good as it gets with Terry. 10 rebounds, 11 assists, and only 1 turnover. First non points double double in wbball this season in the nation. She missed her only shot, a heave from halfcourt at the end of a quarter and she only hit one of two fts when she got fouled on a putback in the paint. Only one point, HOWEVER, we had a couple big scoring droughts when she went to the bench. At Illinois Terry played SF and got her points off drives tot eh rim or posting up. Both require a competent pg to get her the ball on time and in the right place. We very clearly have no one like that on the roster BUT Terry, as evidenced by the way scoring ebbs and flows depending on her being in the game most of the time. But you cannot play off of her because she will drive if given the lane and the more space you give her the mosre assists she will likely rack up. Additionally you need to guard her with someone kind of strong to try and keep her off the boards.

I have bigger concerns than Terry lack of scoring however:

Jayla Smith 5 Assists, 12 TOs, shooting abysmally 38% from field 7% from 3 and 50% from line. compare that to Emily Monson about 100 less minutes played (137-38) 7 Assists, 6 turnovers, only shooting 22 % from the field but 33% from 3 pt range. Or Sophie Swanson who in only 22 minutes in 3 games is scoring 5.7 per game to Smith's 5.1 and Swanson is shooting 41% from field 27% from line. Not great, but a great improvement over Smith.

McKenna Layden 8th on the team in minutes played, getting 13 a game and scoring 1.7 points per game. In 5 games she has been scoreless. Shooting 24% from the field, 29% from range and pulling down 2.3 boards a game (which isn't bad) She also has 5 assists to only 2 TOs and 5 steals. She doesn't hurt us but she adds very little in her time on the floor. When she is playing we really are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Alaina Harper last player in the regular rotation 9th in minutes getting 6 a game. she has 6 points, all in garbage time against bad teams. She provides rebounding, at 4.4 per game, just behind her sister at 4.7 despite getting 1/5th as many minutes. Beyond that, Alaina is just taking up space on the floor on offense, and when she and McKenna are in together we are truly playing 2 people down on offense.

I would like to see more of Swanson earlier in games that matter and I am not opposed to her getting Smith's minutes. She is a scorer, and only Ellis and Jones have that scorers mentality of our regular rotation IMO. I am hopeful if Mila gets healthy and in shape she can move past McKenna and Alaina and push them WAY down the bench as well. Otherwise its starting to look like a long and rather disappointing season in store for us.
Several good points, but a little gloomy for me. (I know you would say “realistic”, Michael - grin)

For those who like reading analyses of our WBB team, I would recommend they read Mike Carmin’s posts in Substack. His post today is excellent. (And it is free.)

Several good points, but a little gloomy for me. (I know you would say “realistic”, Michael - grin)

For those who like reading analyses of our WBB team, I would recommend they read Mike Carmin’s posts in Substack. His post today is excellent. (And it is free.)

Reactions: BoilerUp81

Sorry it reads as "gloomy" to you. I do not think the Purdue team is playing very well ATM. We can all hope the last 4 games carries over, but even in those we have had multiple players that played poorly in at least one of the last 4 games. UMinn will be a challenge, we lost there last year with an NCAA bid in the balance and got relegated to a play in game with the loss. This year UMinn is thinking THEY might make the big dance, so one of the two teams chances are going to take a big hit with a loss. Not picking on you, I took it with the grin as intended. I really don't intentionally write "gloomy" but I tend to see things as a more neutral observer might rather than a fans rose colored glasses.

Sorry it reads as "gloomy" to you. I do not think the Purdue team is playing very well ATM. We can all hope the last 4 games carries over, but even in those we have had multiple players that played poorly in at least one of the last 4 games. UMinn will be a challenge, we lost there last year with an NCAA bid in the balance and got relegated to a play in game with the loss. This year UMinn is thinking THEY might make the big dance, so one of the two teams chances are going to take a big hit with a loss. Not picking on you, I took it with the grin as intended. I really don't intentionally write "gloomy" but I tend to see things as a more neutral observer might rather than a fans rose colored glasses.
Keep laughing RussFord, I still giggle at your prediction that you liked our chances to beat UCLA to start the season. It lets me know how little you understand anything posted on here about basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Keep laughing RussFord, I still giggle at your prediction that you liked our chances to beat UCLA to start the season. It lets me know how little you understand anything posted on here about basketball.
Yeah I know......

The All-knowing Michael has spoken. The rest of us are all just idiots. Lol.

Is there a reason you left jones out of your analysis? Or failed to mention she was out for the SeMO game?

Is there a reason you left jones out of your analysis? Or failed to mention she was out for the SeMO game?
I was mostly talking about the players that aren't contributing much in their time in the floor. Jones is doing very well for a freshman. She's not a great player YET imo, but she has shown many moments of brilliance. I didn't mention Mila didn't play in the SeMo game either. It was an overview, not an in depth analysis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT