ADVERTISEMENT

Will Heide displace Loyer in the long run?

Looking back at wheeler, he tried so hard to be an outside perimeter shooter at the ,4 position. He would have been a lot more successful if he had played closer to the basket. But he wasn’t really big enough or strong enough to play in the paint.

And wasn’t it also the case that when he played was the time that the NCAA also moved back their 3 point lines? It seemed like he had just developed his shot and then they changed the lines and then he tried to adjust. And his three point shots just were never falling.

I remember back in the day when PF Walls tried shooting his 3 point outside shots. They had no arch and they made you laugh watching them. Some of them actually went in! That team had so much talent and so woefully underperformed . It wasn’t until Walter Jordon, Parker, Parkinson walls and company left that Purdue started playing team ball and started Reaching their potential!

Looking back at wheeler, he tried so hard to be an outside perimeter shooter at the ,4 position. He would have been a lot more successful if he had played closer to the basket. But he wasn’t really big enough or strong enough to play in the paint.

And wasn’t it also the case that when he played was the time that the NCAA also moved back their 3 point lines? It seemed like he had just developed his shot and then they changed the lines and then he tried to adjust. And his three point shots just were never falling.

I remember back in the day when PF Walls tried shooting his 3 point outside shots. They had no arch and they made you laugh watching them. Some of them actually went in! That team had so much talent and so woefully underperformed . It wasn’t until Walter Jordon, Parker, Parkinson walls and company left that Purdue started playing team ball and started Reaching their potential!
Not exactly, Wole. Remember the '77 team, Parkinson's redshirt Senior season, with all of those experienced Juniors (Walls, Jordan, Parker) that was tourney bound and only narrowly lost to eventual NCAA runner-up N Carolina---themselves a victim to Cinderella Al McGuirre's Maquette (then) Warriors. Admittedly the '78 team underachieved, even Jordan acknowledged this. "75 and "76 were good teams, but clearly these were IU years.

Reactions: tjreese
I agree that Fletcher got wore down at the end of the season and this depth will keep him rested for later in the season when it counts. Letting all of them (Colvin, Loyer, Jones, and Heide) rotate in and out for 15-25 min per game as needed will give Painter match up options and keep everyone including Smith and Morton fresh.

Painter can make that decision. Who is practicing better, who matches up better, play the hot hand or the better defender. Whatever is needed most.
Funny. Painter played Edey and Smith 33 minutes, Jones 30 and Loyer 26 in a game we won by 13 points. Smith and Edey will play 30+ all year. Whoever starts at the two and three will probably be at 25 plus. The bench will be shortened to nine guys which probably means one of the following three guys won't play much: Morton, Colvin and Heide. Waddell probably needs his warmups pressed before each game because he's going to be wearing them a lot.

As was stated by others, you don’t get much more safe than Smith is right now. His offensive play is tremendous. He and Edey are a nightmare combination to defend this season.

Loyer is also pretty safe, in my opinion. It’s the 3 and 4 positions that are pretty much up in the air right now. The two players who are making a case with their play for expanded minutes are Colvin and Heide. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.
The two players who are making a case with their OFFENSIVE play for expanded minutes are Colvin and Heide.
Fixed.
Some people need to watch Mason Gillis on the defensive end. Just focus on him and what he does in a couple of minutes. Consistently the first guy BACK on D. Its eye opening. Furst is in that neighborhood (of effort) but a lot taller. TKR is doing better defensively with more pt and effort to hold onto his position.
The 4 spot is ably manned by multiple upperclassmen.
Which of THEM get the pt is in play and will change with who is impacting the game more. (and it will have little to do with scoring at least 50% of the time)
The 3 spot is in flux comparatively, and needs a steady shooter for sure.
Some of you can dream of Heide or Colvin at 4 but that ain't happening this year. They are a % of the strength and D that the upperclassmen contribute.
Thrilled to see them make an impact at the 3.

Last edited:
Loyer is NOT Jeff Hornacek ( who happened to be a very good nba player ) That being said Loyer is a good role player , he has shortcomings on D and against bigger guards. Heide and Colvin have the bigger bodies to compete against and with Jones taking the 2 guard spot we could and should go a little bigger . Loyer would then come off the bench to spell Jones and Smith

Heide certainly looks good and his athleticism is tantalizing. However, there are days when Loyer looks like Larry Bird out there (and days when he ...doesn't).

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
We are forgetting Jones took over the 2 spot ( 6-1 ) and not the 3. So Loyer at 6-4 who plays small compared to 6-5 and 6-7 whom play bigger at the 3. All 3 can shoot so that’s not the issue.

Not exactly, Wole. Remember the '77 team, Parkinson's redshirt Senior season, with all of those experienced Juniors (Walls, Jordan, Parker) that was tourney bound and only narrowly lost to eventual NCAA runner-up N Carolina---themselves a victim to Cinderella Al McGuirre's Maquette (then) Warriors. Admittedly the '78 team underachieved, even Jordan acknowledged this. "75 and "76 were good teams, but clearly these were IU years.
The 78 team had so much preseason hype and never came close to matching it. Joe Barry took a back seat and allowed Walter to be the star!

Heide certainly looks good and his athleticism is tantalizing. However, there are days when Loyer looks like Larry Bird out there (and days when he ...doesn't).
lol I like Loyer but no. It would be amazing if this was ever true. Loyer can get hot shooting it but has never shown to on the level of Bird.

Painter loves to play his 3 guard offense. I would rather that 3 position be more of a small forward than guard. And I would rather see that position be somebody who is at least 6’6. I think part of our post season problems have been from playing an undersized player at the three and he ends up having a bad day against taller and more physical players. It’s my hope that Catchings could fill the 3 spot And let our other big men fill the 4 and 5 spots. I’d be ok if Myles or Heine filled that spot! It’s obvious my hope of Tkr filling that spot were ill advised. My dream would be to have someone like pippin or Durant or Rick Barry or Middleton or worthy or Drexler fill that spot. Basically a guy who could catch and shoot who has some height, grab a few rebounds. As part of that dream I would have the 4 be more powerful much like the Zmichigan teams of twin towers in the paint. Sort of like the old Celtic teams of Parrish, bird and Michale. And spurs teams of Duncan and Robinson with Parker . Or the bulls teams with pippin at the 3 and Jordan at the 2. I’ve always thought painter’s previous 3 hard teams were too small at the 3 and 4 spots Making it harder to get our shots off. I’ve always thought Gillis was too small to play the 4.

I know that’s old school philosophy. But if we’re never going to be a run and gun AAU or street all type of team, why not go old school and force others to play to our tempo and style of play? I kind of thought that was the plan behind recruiting both Furst and Tkr with them playing side by side rather than competing at the same position

The two players who are making a case with their OFFENSIVE play for expanded minutes are Colvin and Heide.
Fixed.
Some people need to watch Mason Gillis on the defensive end. Just focus on him and what he does in a couple of minutes. Consistently the first guy BACK on D. Its eye opening. Furst is in that neighborhood (of effort) but a lot taller. TKR is doing better defensively with more pt and effort to hold onto his position.
The 4 spot is ably manned by multiple upperclassmen.
Which of THEM get the pt is in play and will change with who is impacting the game more. (and it will have little to do with scoring at least 50% of the time)
The 3 spot is in flux comparatively, and needs a steady shooter for sure.
Some of you can dream of Heide or Colvin at 4 but that ain't happening this year. They are a % of the strength and D that the upperclassmen contribute.
Thrilled to see them make an impact at the 3.
In Purdue’s first game against a power conference team, Heide and Colvin combined for 21 minutes. My point is that I see that total going up significantly over the course of the season. I could easily see them combining for 40 minutes a game down the stretch.

Mason’s minutes could expand as well, but it is far less certain. I do think he compliments Edey better than TKR at this point.

And Monday was when I learned that his name is NOT pronounced "Hide." I had no audio for the 1st game.

HIGH-Dee also to not be confused with “Heine” 😂

For opponents, they'll find out it's really "H-Y-D-E!"

drjekyllandmrhyde1941.jpg

in fact so far Loyer is playing like last year and doesn't look like he worked on his frame unlike Smith
I think he’s a bit stronger, and he’s not the only threat to hit an outside shot this year so that’s great we don’t have to depend on him as much. He’s still got some cold bloodedness in him…anyone who goes into East Lansing and hits clutch shots to beat sparty (as a freshman!!!!) is going to be able to help us out still.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think he’s a bit stronger, and he’s not the only threat to hit an outside shot this year so that’s great we don’t have to depend on him as much. He’s still got some cold bloodedness in him…anyone who goes into East Lansing and hits clutch shots to beat sparty (as a freshman!!!!) is going to be able to help us out still.
don't hate the kid or anything and glad we have him, just wondering if his mins decrease during the year and how he would handle that

Not worried about a “top dog” but let’s worry about this year first. Heide will replace Loyer if he plays better defense and can score better. If he doesn’t , then Loyer or whomever the best at the position is, should play.
"IF" those two are battling for minutes it may be a function of how Purdue is playing tempo. I give a lean to Cam in the open court and I give a lean to Fletcher in structure and half court. I see Fletcher helping others a bit more and perhaps more court savvy, but this season is very young and Fletcher played well as a freshman and should do better this year. Cam obviously has the greater physical tools

In Purdue’s first game against a power conference team, Heide and Colvin combined for 21 minutes. My point is that I see that total going up significantly over the course of the season. I could easily see them combining for 40 minutes a game down the stretch.

Mason’s minutes could expand as well, but it is far less certain. I do think he compliments Edey better than TKR at this point.
in fact so far Loyer is playing like last year and doesn't look like he worked on his frame unlike Smith
If you look at pics from last year compared to now he is much more filled out. Not putting on a lot of muscle but he may never do that. He IS much stronger than last year and it shows, though he still gets knocked around like an 8 ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
"IF" those two are battling for minutes it may be a function of how Purdue is playing tempo. I give a lean to Cam in the open court and I give a lean to Fletcher in structure and half court. I see Fletcher helping others a bit more and perhaps more court savvy, but this season is very young and Fletcher played well as a freshman and should do better this year. Cam obviously has the greater physical tools
Fletch had definitely earned minutes and shown he can hit big shots in big moments. I wouldn’t expect him (like you) to just lose out minutes all of a sudden.

Fletcher will start every game. He would start on every big ten team. If Heide would take anyones spot it would be Jones or TKR. I know everyone is on the Jones train but lets see how he plays against big competitions consistently. I dont know if hell be an efficient scorer and he seems to have a green light rn.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Fletcher will start every game. He would start on every big ten team. If Heide would take anyones spot it would be Jones or TKR. I know everyone is on the Jones train but lets see how he plays against big competitions consistently. I dont know if hell be an efficient scorer and he seems to have a green light rn.

His shot selection is nuts sometimes. Then it goes in.

Fletcher will start every game. He would start on every big ten team. If Heide would take anyones spot it would be Jones or TKR. I know everyone is on the Jones train but let’s see how he plays against big competitions consistently. I dont know if hell be an efficient scorer and he seems to have a green light rn.
I like fletch a lot but not sure he starts on EVERY B1G team. Hope he is able to shoot the ball when we need him.

Jones and Heide are different players and bring different things to the team. Jones brings quickness, defense and ability to get to the hole and can shoot the 3 a little bit. Heide provides athleticism on offense and defense and can shoot it too.

He has a good mid-ranger and pretty decent form to me, but yeah - as Painter said, he's gotta pocket those ones from Crawfordsville @ one end and Monticello @ the other end. At least it's not Loogootee...haha.
What I really like about Lance is his how he provides what Purdue needed. He and Braden give Purdue two people that are quick and can handle the ball. Pressure D effectiveness has been diminished. He is really good on the ball and so far good away. I can see him defending one through 3 as needed and making a difference with his D as well. He can get to the rim in half court or full and take some contact in doing so. I hope his FT shooting is good late in the game. His perimeter shooting choices as noted need improved. That said, he is a very good pickup for Purdue it appears

Painter loves to play his 3 guard offense. I would rather that 3 position be more of a small forward than guard. And I would rather see that position be somebody who is at least 6’6. I think part of our post season problems have been from playing an undersized player at the three and he ends up having a bad day against taller and more physical players. It’s my hope that Catchings could fill the 3 spot And let our other big men fill the 4 and 5 spots. I’d be ok if Myles or Heine filled that spot! It’s obvious my hope of Tkr filling that spot were ill advised. My dream would be to have someone like pippin or Durant or Rick Barry or Middleton or worthy or Drexler fill that spot. Basically a guy who could catch and shoot who has some height, grab a few rebounds. As part of that dream I would have the 4 be more powerful much like the Zmichigan teams of twin towers in the paint. Sort of like the old Celtic teams of Parrish, bird and Michale. And spurs teams of Duncan and Robinson with Parker . Or the bulls teams with pippin at the 3 and Jordan at the 2. I’ve always thought painter’s previous 3 hard teams were too small at the 3 and 4 spots Making it harder to get our shots off. I’ve always thought Gillis was too small to play the 4.

I know that’s old school philosophy. But if we’re never going to be a run and gun AAU or street all type of team, why not go old school and force others to play to our tempo and style of play? I kind of thought that was the plan behind recruiting both Furst and Tkr with them playing side by side rather than competing at the same position
So you've ALWAYS thought this? Tell me, when did 'this' start?

What I really like about Lance is his how he provides what Purdue needed. He and Braden give Purdue two people that are quick and can handle the ball. Pressure D effectiveness has been diminished. He is really good on the ball and so far good away. I can see him defending one through 3 as needed and making a difference with his D as well. He can get to the rim in half court or full and take some contact in doing so. I hope his FT shooting is good late in the game. His perimeter shooting choices as noted need improved. That said, he is a very good pickup for Purdue it appears
Agree that he is a very good pickup for the reasons you stated.

I think that where he will be most valuable is when Purdue needs another ball handler protecting leads late in close games.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Why does this thread title still say Heine??? 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ The edit feature is a real thing. Yah it shouldn’t really bother me…but it does.
His heine will always play behind Loyer. Unless he runs backwards.

Last edited:
Fletcher came in last year with the literal perfect situation for himself. There was absolutely zero competition to take playing time away from him other than Jenkins who was not very good. That's not going to be the case be going forward. If he's not producing, other guys will step in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT