ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of 3's

Today we played like IU. We are at our best when Smith, Gillis, Jones, Lowyer hit 3's. We only shot 9!!!!! Not a recipe for success when you have a dominant post, they need to shoot at least 15 between them.
Yeah I have no idea why we weren't even trying to shoot more. It was definitely weird

It was definitely a problem. We hit our first 3 of the game then just decided to abandon it. We definitely passed up some open looks too. To me, that looks like a confidence issue, which is what plagued us last year culminating with the FDU loss. I don’t know what the issue is, but our guys need to get their mojo back soon.

Reactions: nime6
Today we played like IU. We are at our best when Smith, Gillis, Jones, Lowyer hit 3's. We only shot 9!!!!! Not a recipe for success when you have a dominant post, they need to shoot at least 15 between them.

Yea, 69 pts sad. Not sure of the level of partying last night. But the play looked like Saturday night got more thought than Sundays game. They looked like an unranked, undisciplined team today. Too much dribling on O and no D by anyone.

Hope it's a blip as much of the year this team has been flat out outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
Teams are running our shooters off the line, giving up drives to sell out to take away open looks from deep. Combine that with Zach struggling to get the ball out to open shooters (regardless of the fact that he was often fouled when doubled) and it’s no mystery why we’re not shooting more threes.

Shooter have to be better at drives and pull ups than they were today. Zach has to be better taking care of the ball.

Last edited:
Teams are running out shooters off the line, giving up drives to sell out to take away open looks from deep. Combine that with Zach struggling to get the ball out to open shooters (regardless of the fact that he was often fouled when doubled) and it’s no mystery why we’re not shooting more threes.

Shooter have to be better at drives and pull ups than they were today. Zach has to be better taking care of the ball.

Zach Edey - tough day with six turnovers (one with the charge)......Ohio State had 22 points off Purdue turnovers.....basically the game.

At times, Purdue ran good stuff - just too many mistakes on both ends of the floor and not enough production from the bench with starters struggling......but in the end it comes down to the turnovers as the biggest key.

Teams are running our shooters off the line, giving up drives to sell out to take away open looks from deep. Combine that with Zach struggling to get the ball out to open shooters (regardless of the fact that he was often fouled when doubled) and it’s no mystery why we’re not shooting more threes.

I have not seen any stats yet, but it is baffling to me how Purdue struggled being slow to the ball and getting few 50/50 balls, having turnovers (many soft passes to the post and of course the slapping on Zach), missing so many point blank shots along with Lance and Fletcher not hitting, Mason getting covered as were Lance and Fletch along with Zach struggling with the slapping. I mean 3 starters and the first off the bench with below average games...that's four players. Should I continue? ;)

Today was a prime example of why I don’t like the 3 guard offense. Our guards were too short to create a height advantage and have a clear 3 point shot. I WANT a small forward to play the 3 spot, not a guard. Maybe Catchings or Harris or Myles or Heide can change that. We need 6’4-5 guards and somebody who is 6’7 who can shoot the three to play the 3 spot!

Reactions: Gemini95
I have not seen any stats yet, but it is baffling to me how Purdue struggled being slow to the ball and getting few 50/50 balls, having turnovers (many soft passes to the post and of course the slapping on Zach), missing so many point blank shots along with Lance and Fletcher not hitting, Mason getting covered as were Lance and Fletch along with Zach struggling with the slapping. I mean 3 starters and the first off the bench with below average games...that's four players. Should I continue? ;)
Amen. Energy looked better last 10 minutes but out hustled most of the game.

Reactions: tjreese
Amen. Energy looked better last 10 minutes but out hustled most of the game.
I mean 3 starters and the first sub with below average games with a target on your back on the road is a bad combination

No threes because they closed well on Gillis and Loyer. Gillis could not get more than one open look. Good game plan. Gillis rarely drives and Loyer can but was not very successful today. Jones was tired trying and failing to stop Thornton.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Morton has to take open looks because defenses are showing him 0 respect.

I find it weird that we have Myles and Cam play but run 0 action for either of them. One of Smith’s turnovers he waves him off to another side and proceeds to throw the ball out of bounds on a terrible pass to Loyer. We need Cam and Myles to have confidence before the tourney. Being out there for 5-10 minutes and doing nothing is mindboggling to me.

Morton has to take open looks because defenses are showing him 0 respect.

I find it weird that we have Myles and Cam play but run 0 action for either of them. One of Smith’s turnovers he waves him off to another side and proceeds to throw the ball out of bounds on a terrible pass to Loyer. We need Cam and Myles to have confidence before the tourney. Being out there for 5-10 minutes and doing nothing is mindboggling to me.
More interesting in running things with Myles on the perimeter and Cam a bit more going to the basket. Cam can help on D and the boards, but need Myles stroke when in the game since he no longer shoots every time he touches it and his touch is what he currently brings

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT