ADVERTISEMENT

Khristian Lander to IU

All a facade...

I remember when asked in an interview before the Purdue game about the rivalry and he mentioned that the only things he really knew about IU before he went there was that Bob Knight coached there and Isaiah Thomas had played there...that he was a Louisville fan...and, that he did not know much about the rivalry as he was far more knowledgeable of the Louisville/UK rivalry.

He took visits because his Dad was getting $ from Adidas...like say, he went there merely because he had to go somewhere...it had NOTHING to do with Archie, and, very little, if anything to do with the actual program...and, had Pitino not been fired at Louisville, he never would have gone there.

Ancient history and irrelevant...

Again....that still doesn't mean he didn't enjoy his time there. Somebody who didn't enjoy his time in Bloomington isn't repping IU on draft day. They aren't returning to Bloomington on multiple occasions. They are consistently repping and touting IU on social media.

Yeah, he always looked SO happy...especially when he literally quit playing before the season ended.

That kid could not have been more disinterested in being there, and, could not get out of there fast enough...again, he was there only because he had to be somewhere.

He was legitimately hurt and had surgery on his hand less than 2 weeks after IU's season ended. Why play in a meaningless NIT Tournament. If he truly didn't want to be in Bloomington, he would have left school in November once it was discovered he tore ligaments in his hand and focused on the draft.

You don't know what you're talking about.

He was legitimately hurt and had surgery on his hand less than 2 weeks after IU's season ended. Why play in a meaningless NIT Tournament. If he truly didn't want to be in Bloomington, he would have left school in November once it was discovered he tore ligaments in his hand and focused on the draft.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Mentally, he had already left school in November...for that matter, he mentally was never there, much less for actual school.

He quit...he made up a fake back injury...he was not doing any damage to his hand/wrist playing...he literally quit because he was focused on his leaving.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Mentally, he had already left school in November...for that matter, he mentally was never there, much less for actual school.

He quit...he made up a fake back injury...he was not doing any damage to his hand/wrist playing...he literally quit because he was focused on his leaving.

That's your opinion and it's completely unfounded. He would have left school entirely if that were the case.

As I said earlier, you don't know what you're talking about.

Aren't you the guy that thinks what subway Jared went to prison for is okay?

Let me see if I follow.

First you make the patently absurd statement that nobody enjoys their time in Bloomington. Then you mock an IU poster for not knowing what he's talking about. And then you suggest I support pedophilia.

I can't wait to see what's next.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That may be true as we know he grew up a Louisville fan, but that doesn't mean in any way he didn't enjoy his time in Bloomington.
Not saying he didn’t enjoy it just saying it is hard for a kid like him to have some strong affiliation with the Purdue IU rivalry or even the IU brand when he grew up a Louisville fan.

He probably had a great time in Bloomington - it is a fun campus.

Reactions: BTBall
Not saying he didn’t enjoy it just saying it is hard for a kid like him to have some strong affiliation with the Purdue IU rivalry or even the IU brand when he grew up a Louisville fan.

He probably had a great time in Bloomington - it is a fun campus.

You could literally say that about dozens of players. You think Carsen Edwards grew up with an affiliation with IU-PU rivalry and has an affinity for Purdue living in Houston?

I just don’t buy this notion that Romeo didn’t like Bloomington/IU. His actions after leaving campus for his professional life suggest otherwise.

You could literally say that about dozens of players. You think Carsen Edwards grew up with an affiliation with IU-PU rivalry and has an affinity for Purdue living in Houston?

I just don’t buy this notion that Romeo didn’t like Bloomington/IU. His actions after leaving campus for his professional life suggest otherwise.
Clearly reading isn't your strong suit because I said
Not saying he didn’t enjoy

Regarding Carsen, no he didn't grow up a Purdue fan and probably learned about the rivalry when he got to school. He also had the fortune of playing on a team with a lot of upperclassmen who had been apart of the rivalry who prepared him for it. Pretty sure when he dunked on Newkirk he knew what the rivalry was about.

It didn't help IU when Will Sheehey said Purdue wasn't their rival and it was actually Kentucky who you don't play regularly now. Since he made those comments IU has won exactly 1 game against Purdue over the past 10 games.

Reactions: Poprudy
Clearly reading isn't your strong suit because I said

Regarding Carsen, no he didn't grow up a Purdue fan and probably learned about the rivalry when he got to school. He also had the fortune of playing on a team with a lot of upperclassmen who had been apart of the rivalry who prepared him for it. Pretty sure when he dunked on Newkirk he knew what the rivalry was about.

It didn't help IU when Will Sheehey said Purdue wasn't their rival and it was actually Kentucky who you don't play regularly now. Since he made those comments IU has won exactly 1 game against Purdue over the past 10 games.

I'm speaking to the the crowd saying that Romeo doesn't care about IU. There's nothing that suggests that. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't getting the candy stripes custom made on the inside of their suit jacket on draft night and then flashing it for the cameras. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't coming back to campus on multiple occasions less than a year removed from leaving. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't actively involved on social media engaging potential recruits to IU and repping his old team.

He may have been ready to get out of Bloomington and continue the next chapter of his life and honestly who cares, I was the same way. I enjoyed the hell out of my time in Bloomington, but by the end of it, I was ready to grow up and start the professional aspect of my life. Doesn't mean I hated Bloomington or IU or anything like that.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
More of a ball-handler but has elite quickness and can beat you off the dribble. Needs to improve outside shooting and obviously bulk up, but he's too good of a talent to not play right away. He and Phinisee will play alongside each other more times than not.

I find your comment interesting. You indicated in another earlier post that Lander's joining would send Durham to the bench rather than Phinisee. You also have written that Lander's shooting needs improvement.

That means that if you are correct then next year IU's starting guards will both be mediocre at best shooters. Phinisee is clearly not a good outside shooter at this time and had not improved dramatically from his freshman year. (35% vs. 31%). He does not take many shots per game from outside as well.

Since outside shooting is a weakness for IU this year, doesn't that mean that the newcomers will not change the present situation very much? I am not aware that Leal and/or Galloway are significant outside threats. if so, then why would anyone expect a substantial turnaround from the present?

I find your comment interesting. You indicated in another earlier post that Lander's joining would send Durham to the bench rather than Phinisee. You also have written that Lander's shooting needs improvement.

That means that if you are correct then next year IU's starting guards will both be mediocre at best shooters. Phinisee is clearly not a good outside shooter at this time and had not improved dramatically from his freshman year. (35% vs. 31%). He does not take many shots per game from outside as well.

Since outside shooting is a weakness for IU this year, doesn't that mean that the newcomers will not change the present situation very much? I am not aware that Leal and/or Galloway are significant outside threats. if so, then why would anyone expect a substantial turnaround from the present?
Currently we start (% are based on conference games):
RP: 37%
Durham: 37%
Smith: 22%
TJD: 0%
Brunk: 0%

Next year I don't think we will be starting Smith, TJD, and Brunk together.

RP: 37%
Lander: 30% - being conservative here
Hunter: 36%
Thompson: 33%
TJD: 0%

So even if the shooting from conference this year stays the same for the current guys and Lander only hits 30% of his 3s (shoots 37% in high school) that starting lineup shooting still gets better overall.

Not sure what you have heard on Leal, but his #1 attribute is shooting. That said I don't expect much from freshman ranked outside the top 50. Galloway has struggled as a shooter throughout his high school career. Geronimo is a solid shooter in high school shooter, but I'm expecting a learning curve, so not expecting him to be 35+% from 3 his first year.

To go even further, I don't expect Lander to start right away if he reclassifies to 2020. I would expect him to get around 20-25 minutes per game, but not start.

RP/Lander
Durham/Franklin/Leal (limited role)
Hunter/Geronimo
Race/Smith
TJD/Brunk

Galloway - Redshirt
Smith - ...... Maybe at Georgia?o_O

I said Lander needed to improve his outside shooting, not necessarily that he was a bad shooter. He's a three level scorer who can get to the hoop and break down opposing defenders, something IU's guard play has lacked all year. Durham has better intangibles (experience/leadership/etc) but he's not anywhere the talent that of Lander. I guess it is possible that Lander may come off the bench to begin his career but this move bringing in Lander was not meant to unseat Phinisee which is what I interpreted your post to mean.

Reactions: HoosierSince80
No doubt a good get for IU. I have seen Lander play quite a bit altough just his HS games, not AAU (I will be at his game tomorrow too). His HS team isn't great - he has a teammate who is tall and above average, but seems a little lackadaisical. The team runs through Lander and he gets the green light to shoot anything he wants - good finisher at the rim and can hit the 3 ball, but sometimes streaky from deep.

Curious about the reclassification - if he were in 2020 class I don't think he is the #1 PG. I went to the game where he faced off against Caleb Love (#2 PG in 2020 - committed to UNC). Love definitely looked more polished and played much better, though his team was better too. I wonder if reclassifiying played in to his decision - perhaps there were other schools that didn't have room. I know he was AAU teammates with Leal and Galloway so he'd like to be in their class and at least have TJD for one season (possibly more).

You would think that the #1 PG in the country would be an automatic starter, but perhaps age and size might keep him from that role early on. Should definitely see some minutes though.

Reactions: SKYDOG and BTBall
No doubt a good get for IU. I have seen Lander play quite a bit altough just his HS games, not AAU (I will be at his game tomorrow too). His HS team isn't great - he has a teammate who is tall and above average, but seems a little lackadaisical. The team runs through Lander and he gets the green light to shoot anything he wants - good finisher at the rim and can hit the 3 ball, but sometimes streaky from deep.

Curious about the reclassification - if he were in 2020 class I don't think he is the #1 PG. I went to the game where he faced off against Caleb Love (#2 PG in 2020 - committed to UNC). Love definitely looked more polished and played much better, though his team was better too. I wonder if reclassifiying played in to his decision - perhaps there were other schools that didn't have room. I know he was AAU teammates with Leal and Galloway so he'd like to be in their class and at least have TJD for one season (possibly more).

You would think that the #1 PG in the country would be an automatic starter, but perhaps age and size might keep him from that role early on. Should definitely see some minutes though.

He wouldn't be #1. Caleb Love definitely better. Not in the hoopla of rankings but still think he'd be a top 30 player that could be potentially keep his 5* status but in all honesty I doubt he cares about that.

I think his goal is to reclassify but in doing so it puts him behind the 8ball. He'd have to graduate in the summer and wouldn't be with the team until the start of the school year which already puts him behind schedule. I do think IU pursuing other another Carter Whitt another PG who just had a good visit the other week made Lander commit early as IU was in desperate need of a PG for the 2020 class. Simply put, Lander wanted to be a Hoosier.

Not sure if he is a day 1 starter given the constraints of getting to campus in a timely fashion, but he'll play at least 25 minutes a game and will eventually move to a starting role before the year is over. I don't think Lander is a OAD, especially if he reclassifies so showcasing his skills from day 1 probably isn't as important to him.

I heard he never attended a class the second semester.

He wouldn't be #1. Caleb Love definitely better. Not in the hoopla of rankings but still think he'd be a top 30 player that could be potentially keep his 5* status but in all honesty I doubt he cares about that.

I think his goal is to reclassify but in doing so it puts him behind the 8ball. He'd have to graduate in the summer and wouldn't be with the team until the start of the school year which already puts him behind schedule. I do think IU pursuing other another Carter Whitt another PG who just had a good visit the other week made Lander commit early as IU was in desperate need of a PG for the 2020 class. Simply put, Lander wanted to be a Hoosier.

Not sure if he is a day 1 starter given the constraints of getting to campus in a timely fashion, but he'll play at least 25 minutes a game and will eventually move to a starting role before the year is over. I don't think Lander is a OAD, especially if he reclassifies so showcasing his skills from day 1 probably isn't as important to him.
With Lil' Arch getting high dollar players with his abysmal record, do you think that he might have learned some "recruiting tricks" from his dirty big brother?

With Lil' Arch getting high dollar players with his abysmal record, do you think that he might have learned some "recruiting tricks" from his dirty big brother?

Lol. Not sure a career .650 winning % is abysmal but yeah I'm sure it cost Archie the farm to get a player from Southern IN to commit to IU. Unheard of concept.

I'm speaking to the the crowd saying that Romeo doesn't care about IU. There's nothing that suggests that. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't getting the candy stripes custom made on the inside of their suit jacket on draft night and then flashing it for the cameras. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't coming back to campus on multiple occasions less than a year removed from leaving. A person who doesn't care about IU isn't actively involved on social media engaging potential recruits to IU and repping his old team.

He may have been ready to get out of Bloomington and continue the next chapter of his life and honestly who cares, I was the same way. I enjoyed the hell out of my time in Bloomington, but by the end of it, I was ready to grow up and start the professional aspect of my life. Doesn't mean I hated Bloomington or IU or anything like that.

0dec1436a4a501e1e657da4af3999b42.jpg

The jacket liner means nothing……….Seinfeld hates iu

Reactions: DAG10
I guess this shows you to take coaching over talent. I'll take CMP over that little gum smacker every day and twice on Sunday.

Of course Lander is heading to IU, it was the only school actively recruiting him. Really not a shock to anyone who knows the family.

That’s hard to believe. Was it because he was solid IU all along. I mean I’m sure Bloomington looks fantastic to Evansville. Yuk
Not the reason. Just a lot of baggage that schools wanted to stay away from. Michigan wasn't interested. Memphis was going to come harder for him but not with a "we need you" all out mentality, and Louisville likes Zion Harmon more.

Driving down from NW Indiana tomorrow and might make the game. Do those games get packed or fairly empty?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT