ADVERTISEMENT

Khristian Lander to IU

The only reason why your record is better than Purdue your 1st 9 games was against boys Clubs. If you play the same schedule that Purdue did your record Looks exactly like Purdue's right now Did you forget we beat you by double digits on your court.
Umm...I don't have a record, and, I am on the Purdue side anyway! As for IU's record...yes, it is inflated in part due to the non-conference schedule that they played, but, are you really going to ignore that they beat Nebraska on the road (something Purdue failed to do), they beat Penn St. at home in a huge game (something Purdue also failed to do), and, they have wins as good or better than Purdue in every case this year?

What good did Purdue's "more difficult" non-conference schedule do them? I would argue none...or, at best, very little. Did IU's "less difficult" non-conference schedule hurt them or work against them in really ANY way? I would argue that it did not...which raises the obvious question (although maybe not so obvious in your own case), who cares about the non-conference schedule in that it did not hurt IU and it did not help Purdue?

Reactions: BTBall
Umm...I don't have a record, and, I am on the Purdue side anyway! As for IU's record...yes, it is inflated in part due to the non-conference schedule that they played, but, are you really going to ignore that they beat Nebraska on the road (something Purdue failed to do), they beat Penn St. at home in a huge game (something Purdue also failed to do), and, they have wins as good or better than Purdue in every case this year?

What good did Purdue's "more difficult" non-conference schedule do them? I would argue none...or, at best, very little. Did IU's "less difficult" non-conference schedule hurt them or work against them in really ANY way? I would argue that it did not...which raises the obvious question (although maybe not so obvious in your own case), who cares about the non-conference schedule in that it did not hurt IU and it did not help Purdue?

Very fair assessment. To put it simply, IU got the job done in the Non-conference and Purdue didn't Q1 win over FSU is looking better and better by the day and they have 2 solid Q2 wins against ND and UConn away from home. Purdue has a Q3 loss on their home court to Texas and couldn't capitalize against Butler or Marquette. Virginia was a very impressive victory at the time but the Cavaliers are really struggling with all they lost from last years team and it's a mere Q2 victory and VCU continues to fall further and further down the totem pole.

Hello pot, meet kettle.
Yeah...pointing out the obvious regarding recruiting failures is an agenda of some sort:rolleyes:

There is no agenda...I am simply commenting on reality.

When has Painter had his greatest success? It is not a coincidence that it has coincided with when he has had his best players...and, that he has not been very good in years that he has not. That is not an agenda...that is just fact.

Again...it is not as if every elite talent in the country every year, or the best talent in the Midwest, never mind the best talent in the state of Indiana, lacks integrity or character or would in some way ruin the "Purdue/Painter culture"...that too is not an agenda, rather, another fact.

It is easy to say that and think that...and part of me feels the same...but, there has to be a practical perspective as well that acknowledges that he has been very successful with recruiting, especially in-state, with literally almost nothing in his favor. Purdue/Painter can't even get a whiff from virtually any 5-star...and, they are ignored by many of the best in-state players as well. I read where Lander stated that part of his decision was based on how long and consistent his recruitment was...that NEVER works in Painter's/Purdue's favor with elite or high target recruits.

You and I and others can joke about what it means with respect to Archie, but, the fact of the matter is that he landed a guy that he really had no business landing...a guy that Purdue would kill to get and is of the caliber that they desperately need, and, that we as fans would have celebrated incredibly.

Taking shots at Archie when he has done a better job this year on the floor than Painter, and, now off the floor again as well, seems petty...and, ignores the reality of the fact that he continues to recruit better than Painter also.
Did we lose to IU on the big RMK night? I wouldn't say he's been stellar this year as well. Considering after our match up people were completely done with him. This is why we are irrational fans and both boards show just that. I still think Arch needs to win at a consistent level to compare him to CMP. I wouldn't say IU's incoming class has a huge advantage over ours.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Also, IU has always recruited better. Heck Crean could recruit but he's no longer there. Arch had one of IU's all time recruits and did nothing with him. I'll take a better coach over a better recruiter. That is the biggest knock on CMP he can't land the top recruits and I think we wish that could change but he is a damn good coach.

Reactions: Boiler Kyle1
Did we lose to IU on the big RMK night? I wouldn't say he's been stellar this year as well. Considering after our match up people were completely done with him. This is why we are irrational fans and both boards show just that. I still think Arch needs to win at a consistent level to compare him to CMP. I wouldn't say IU's incoming class has a huge advantage over ours.
I know that I did not ever suggest that he's been stellar in any regard, and, I don't recall anyone else doing so either.

He has done a better job this year than Painter, however, save the obvious when he was just awful when they actually met in Gloomington.

That said, hard to ignore what has happened since...

He absolutely has work to do there, and, he does not come close to comparing to Painter at this point...and would have to do a ton for an extended period to do so for that matter...but, nobody can refute that he has not only recruited better, but, arguably much better...and, there is no way to know who has the better class coming in next year...I know IU has a more talented class than Purdue...I know IU has three of the top four players from the state (if we include Ivey as "from the state"), and, I know that for the third consecutive year, IU has added the best player from the state who was also a national level recruit...all at a time where Archie had pretty much nothing to offer of his own accord and when Purdue has had some of its greatest sustained success on a national scale.

Again, ignoring the facts and topic at hand...and I have an agenda?:rolleyes:
Well see that is your problem, you are confusing your opinion or interpretation as 'facts' when it isn't necessarily the case. So all that leaves is your agenda you are driving.

It's alright though, it's come out now so you can take a sigh of relief.

Arch has whiffed on recruits as well....Morton one of them. It happens maybe at Purdue more frequently but it does happen.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Also, IU has always recruited better. Heck Crean could recruit but he's no longer there. Arch had one of IU's all time recruits and did nothing with him. I'll take a better coach over a better recruiter. That is the biggest knock on CMP he can't land the top recruits and I think we wish that could change but he is a damn good coach.
I generally agree...on almost everything.

My only real caveat...in a year in which Purdue needed an elite coach more than ever, it has not happened. Watching the game on Saturday against Michigan made that abundantly clear...in a game that it absolutely had to have and with a very electric environment in Mackey, Purdue was not ready to play...the starting line-up made no sense...bad shot after bad shot from a team that struggles mightily offensively...guys just completely lost on the defensive end (many of which are the same culprits game-to-game)...twice it had 6 players on the floor (and, one of those should have resulted in a technical)...out of a timeout for the last possession of the first half, in which a play was obviously called, three guys came out and had no idea what to do...it was just extremely disappointing, especially in that you and I and many consider him to be a "damn good coach" (at least for the most part).

This team, with three games left and 28 games in the books, still does not have ANYTHING that it is genuinely good at and can hang its hat on...and, that is something that should not happen with a genuinely "damn good coach".

This team, individually and collectively, improved less from one year to the next more so than any team in a LONG time...and, that has at least something to do with coaching.

This team has A LOT of deficiencies...so be it...but, good coaching identifies that and addresses it...by finding out what it is good at or can be good at...playing away from the deficiencies and playing to the strengths...elite coaching finds ways to win games despite or in spite of either...that has not happened at all this year, as, this team literally does the same thing at both ends of the floor every game.

This team simply should not be as bad as it is and has been...teams are supposed to be playing their best basketball at this time of the year, and, not only is that not the case, but, it is actually the polar opposite with this team.

It is not easy to have long and sustained success...within the conference, much less nationally, but, there are not a lot of programs, never mind great programs, that have had the peaks and valleys that Purdue has had during Painter's tenure...that, to me, is more concerning than the recruiting shortcomings...and, they are related I think...which in some ways compounds the concern.

Well see that is your problem, you are confusing your opinion or interpretation as 'facts' when it isn't necessarily the case. So all that leaves is your agenda you are driving.

It's alright though, it's come out now so you can take a sigh of relief.
Actually, what I see is that it is you telling me not only that I have a problem, but, trying to tell me what that problem is...is the literal problem.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yeah...pointing out the obvious regarding recruiting failures is an agenda of some sort:rolleyes:

There is no agenda...I am simply commenting on reality.

When has Painter had his greatest success? It is not a coincidence that it has coincided with when he has had his best players...and, that he has not been very good in years that he has not. That is not an agenda...that is just fact.

Again...it is not as if every elite talent in the country every year, or the best talent in the Midwest, never mind the best talent in the state of Indiana, lacks integrity or character or would in some way ruin the "Purdue/Painter culture"...that too is not an agenda, rather, another fact.
There is no question that in many cases integrity or charcter have nothing to do with Purdue misses. However, decision capability abilities might be debateable. Who knows why some kids go to one school or another. I'm sure it is a mixed bag of reasons. In most of those cases when a highly sought after player that Matt was on and ended up on a more successful (however that is measured) team, the teams would be reversed had that player went to Purdue. Many times ONE player can make a difference. Would there be any questions if TJD went to Purdue which team would be the best or Jackson at MSU and on an on. It is baffling on thew surface why some kids do what they do. That said, Matt landed Ivey/MOrton and has Newman in the wings and we can already see that Thompson can contribute. Purdue will be great at the guard spot...they need some 4 that wants to play on a team that shares the ball and is truly a family of substance...

Out of curiosity, where did you see this? I knew we weren’t recruiting Lander very hard, but I assumed it was because he was a given to either UoL or IU. This would be interesting if true.

insiders on the premie board

Think you'll be in for a surprise sometime late March/early April. Hearing Kauffman is all but a lock to IU.
care to make a bet? 500?

you're suggesting that IU is constantly signing "five stars"....Purdue fans like to focus on Romeo, but he was obviously overrated. How about Cody Zeller, Eric Gordon, James Blackmon....those guys ended up being pretty good right?
Eric Gordon got IU one 3rd place B10 finish...in his ONE year, there.

BFD.

Sometimes they don't work out. Are you suggesting Painter wouldn't have taken a commitment from Romeo? Surely you're smarter than that.
Taken a commitment from Romeo to spend the one '18/'19 season with Purdue ??
To do what....feed Carsen and Cline for 40 minutes ?? And not be able to guard the water cooler ??

BFD.

I would agree with DAG10 here. You really should schedule only home games against bums and try to go undefeated out of conference, and then strive for a .500 record in conference.

I would agree with DAG10 here. You really should schedule only home games against bums and try to go undefeated out of conference, and then strive for a .500 record in conference.
Not what I said, nor what I endorse or suggest...but, just making the very real point that there was no benefit to Purdue for scheduling as they did and losing games (unlike a year ago where it played a part in them being better in conference it was suggested), and, no detriment to IU scheduling as they did.

It is not the same year-to-year either, as, the conference being so good last year and this year allowed non-conference scheduling to not really matter...for Purdue or IU. It is nice to win a quality non-conference game certainly, and, it would have benefited Purdue had they managed to do so, but, if you don't win them, it does not really matter.

Like say, it had more to do with their conference records than it did their non-conference.

insiders on the premie board

care to make a bet? 500?

I'm not going to bet $500 over the internet with somebody I don't know as to where a high school kid is going to make his college choice. You're confident in Purdue, I'm confident he chooses IU. One of us could be right or we could both be wrong and he goes somewhere unexpected. But I do like IU's chances and I think he commits here sooner than later.

We shall see.

Not what I said, nor what I endorse or suggest...but, just making the very real point that there was no benefit to Purdue for scheduling as they did and losing games (unlike a year ago where it played a part in them being better in conference it was suggested), and, no detriment to IU scheduling as they did.

It is not the same year-to-year either, as, the conference being so good last year and this year allowed non-conference scheduling to not really matter...for Purdue or IU. It is nice to win a quality non-conference game certainly, and, it would have benefited Purdue had they managed to do so, but, if you don't win them, it does not really matter.

Like say, it had more to do with their conference records than it did their non-conference.
I agree that both teams are NIT bound.

I know that I did not ever suggest that he's been stellar in any regard, and, I don't recall anyone else doing so either.

He has done a better job this year than Painter, however, save the obvious when he was just awful when they actually met in Gloomington.

That said, hard to ignore what has happened since...

He absolutely has work to do there, and, he does not come close to comparing to Painter at this point...and would have to do a ton for an extended period to do so for that matter...but, nobody can refute that he has not only recruited better, but, arguably much better...and, there is no way to know who has the better class coming in next year...I know IU has a more talented class than Purdue...I know IU has three of the top four players from the state (if we include Ivey as "from the state"), and, I know that for the third consecutive year, IU has added the best player from the state who was also a national level recruit...all at a time where Archie had pretty much nothing to offer of his own accord and when Purdue has had some of its greatest sustained success on a national scale.
Ivy is the best player in this state

I'm not going to bet $500 over the internet with somebody I don't know as to where a high school kid is going to make his college choice. You're confident in Purdue, I'm confident he chooses IU. One of us could be right or we could both be wrong and he goes somewhere unexpected. But I do like IU's chances and I think he commits here sooner than later.

We shall see.
I never said he’s coming to Purdue, just that he won’t be at the same school as Lander

Reactions: Level 42
IndySouthsider said:

What was Romeos ranking?

Sometimes they don't work out. Are you suggesting Painter wouldn't have taken a commitment from Romeo? Surely you're smarter than that.
[/quote]
Yes he would have. And he would have made a better player out of him than Archie did.

*Best senior in the state by ranking, but he's not better than Furst, Lander, Kauffman, and I may be biased coaching in Indy but he's not better than Dre Davis at LC.
I didn't say he was better than any of those guys, however I would probably take Ivey over Furst and Davis.

Reactions: Level 42
He wasn't in danger of losing his job. My brother inlaw is on boards at IU. Is friends with the AD. They knew it was a rebuild after OG, Blackmon and Bryant left for the pros. Crean's last two classes sucked.
Make sure you tell your BIL that the Bob Knight curse is still in place. And will be for a long time.

This is a good get for IU - not sure what IUs staff says to these kids but would love to be a fly on the wall to understand what how the "love from IU" is drastically different than that from the "love from IU".

Interesting on Kaufman is IU's to lose since every major recruiting analyst is saying the opposite. I get that no one knows exactly what is going through the mind of a 16-18yr old kid but that would be a major change of course.

painter was at one of Landers aau games and watched him yell at his dad in the stands throughout the game. He got up midgame and quit recruiting him.

Not saying he won’t be a good player but he definitely doesn’t fit the culture Painter has built
lol ..

that's made up bullshit ..

painter was at one of Landers aau games and watched him yell at his dad in the stands throughout the game. He got up midgame and quit recruiting him.

Not saying he won’t be a good player but he definitely doesn’t fit the culture Painter has built

^^Painter is way better than that.^^ There is no way that Matt Painter, after watching two quarters of an in-state 15/16 year old five star player at an AAU game, quit recruiting him because the kid was yelling at someone in the stands (if that story is remotely true). Painter is way better than that.

There is plenty of reason to believe that Lander is a really good kid. Lander is very close with Leal and Galloway - that and IU's need for ball-handlers next year were major factors in this commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT