ADVERTISEMENT

Khristian Lander to IU

And how far did they get in the tournament with these kids. Just asking for a friend
It got them to a #1 ranking in 2013...something that Purdue has never experienced in the 120+ years of their program. By the way, IU has had that extinction 8 different seasons. Another stat I found interesting....IU has been in top 5 during 24 different seasons compared to Purdue's 8. Can we just quit debating this?

Seems like good news for Purdue if this means Arch gets to stay longer.

Nailed it. I'm actually hoping IU makes the tourney so they are stuck with Archie another 2-3 more years. Another 5 star in the bag to keep the pitchforks happy is icing on the cake.

Reactions: proudopete
My son is a member of the Evansville sports media. A fellow media colleague and long time Courier Press reporter says Lander is the best to come out of Evansville. High praise for someone that covered Calbert Cheaney. I think he will do fine.

#1 PG for 2021 that may reclassify to play in 2020

Lander is a really nice pick up for IU. That being said, any reporter saying he is better than the all time leading scorer in Big Ten history is probably setting some people up for disappointment.

Purdue has made 2. I attended the last one. Which IU one did you attend?
The better question would be which one did Lander go to? Or any current IU roster? It's really hard he would be that age to allow himself to come to a rival board and defend his team or stance. To me he sounds fairly young or just has a very sad life. Good luck to him!

Also the reason for his commitment and possibly reclassify are because of next year's class. This isn't because of IU's history, even if they make statements that may seem that way.

Last edited:
It got them to a #1 ranking in 2013...something that Purdue has never experienced in the 120+ years of their program. By the way, IU has had that extinction 8 different seasons. Another stat I found interesting....IU has been in top 5 during 24 different seasons compared to Purdue's 8. Can we just quit debating this?

Hang a banner for those accomplishments?

And hey Mr Genius if this guy reclassifies, his ranking will go down. He won’t be a 5 star in the 2020 class. Nothing like a guy coming on here and popping off about things that happened 18 years ago (2002) , 28 years ago (1992) , and 33 years ago (1987). Wow ! No current student at IU can even remember 2002, because they were 1-4 years old then.

Number 1 ranking. Big Deal. What did they do with that ? Sweet 16 , so shut up and go away. Nobody over here cares about an IU commit, who hasn’t even signed.

I was there in 92 and 2002. Should have won it all in 92. Unfortunately, I was a poor student in 87 and didn't have the opportunity to attend. I hesitate to rip on Purdue, I'm really a fan of the program and Painter. I just hate when the fans try to rip on IU. The Hoosiers undoubtedly have had more success. If you can't admit that then I guess this conversation is over. IU has half of the total B10 national championships. What else is there to say?
Actually, I never wanted to get into this chest pumping thing. I don't know anything about the kid, but no doubt a good catch for IU as a player...maybe a student...maybe a person...I have no idea. However, if you want to think and actually compare things, there are few better comparisons than head to head competition or how well a team does against the same teams. Ignoring those more direct comparison and latching on to a comparison without direct linkage where team A plays one group of teams and team B plays another at whatever location is hardly a solid comparison. Would you believe that surveys conducted by democrats or republicans in only urban or rural areas are the best methods of answering the questions? Would you want your medical approvals decided in this manner? How about comparing all the k-12 schools in Mississippi with those in the North or North East and on and on? Final fours have a lot of hype that fans like and like lab rats many have been conditioned to somehow believe that is the only data point, when in fact it is a single data point and one that more often than not would be different if the same teams played again in the same "pairings" and possibly even more different if in different pairings. Having that catch all is not the most logical comparison between teams, but a hype sold by the media. It is another data point...just one that gets a lot of attention.

Reactions: Level 42
It is impeccable timing. It will make the sting a little bit easier to handle of losing again to Purdue tomorrow night and seeing the streak of losses continue since February 2016.

My question is whether at the official announcement celebration they will have 50 and 60 year old men waving big IU flags around like they did for Romeo's announcement celebration?

Seems like "fanbase" is describing one person that is quite honestly a little embarrassing in this thread.

Bottom line is Lander is a great pick up for IU, but until IU starts beating Purdue on a regular basis, us IU fans should remain quite humble.
It is a great pickup for IU.
Purdue will have 7 guards on next year’s team. We are not need of more guards. We need the 3 and 4 positions, like Furst, Kaufman, and Harrison.

Reactions: Boiler_hill
It is a great pickup for IU.
Purdue will have 7 guards on next year’s team. We are not need of more guards. We need the 3 and 4 positions, like Furst, Kaufman, and Harrison.

Purdue seemed to be in the driver's seat for Kaufman for a while. But his interest in IU seems to be increasing. Should be a fun recruiting battle to keep an eye on.

painter was at one of Landers aau games and watched him yell at his dad in the stands throughout the game. He got up midgame and quit recruiting him.

Not saying he won’t be a good player but he definitely doesn’t fit the culture Painter has built
Out of curiosity, where did you see this? I knew we weren’t recruiting Lander very hard, but I assumed it was because he was a given to either UoL or IU. This would be interesting if true.

Reactions: Boiler_hill
painter was at one of Landers aau games and watched him yell at his dad in the stands throughout the game. He got up midgame and quit recruiting him.

Not saying he won’t be a good player but he definitely doesn’t fit the culture Painter has built

Heard Lander was just yelling at his Dad to make sure he did not forget to order the pizza for the after game meal.

Nailed it. I'm actually hoping IU makes the tourney so they are stuck with Archie another 2-3 more years. Another 5 star in the bag to keep the pitchforks happy is icing on the cake.
It is easy to say that and think that...and part of me feels the same...but, there has to be a practical perspective as well that acknowledges that he has been very successful with recruiting, especially in-state, with literally almost nothing in his favor. Purdue/Painter can't even get a whiff from virtually any 5-star...and, they are ignored by many of the best in-state players as well. I read where Lander stated that part of his decision was based on how long and consistent his recruitment was...that NEVER works in Painter's/Purdue's favor with elite or high target recruits.

You and I and others can joke about what it means with respect to Archie, but, the fact of the matter is that he landed a guy that he really had no business landing...a guy that Purdue would kill to get and is of the caliber that they desperately need, and, that we as fans would have celebrated incredibly.

Taking shots at Archie when he has done a better job this year on the floor than Painter, and, now off the floor again as well, seems petty...and, ignores the reality of the fact that he continues to recruit better than Painter also.

Heard Lander was just yelling at his Dad to make sure he did not forget to order the pizza for the after game meal.
Parents too involved with their kids in sports can be a huge red signal. If true, and I don't know that it is...it wouldn't surprise me for Matt to walk away again as I'm sure he has on other players. This doesn't mean that Purdue had a good shot or not, but establishing a culture is hard as is maintaining it. It is even hard when you recruit some that you don't know could be problems and then become problems. Not saying this kid is that becasue I don't know, but if true it should be a concern for any that values culture

There may be some truth to this and the notion of the culture, but, that is also a really convenient excuse when you simply can't recruit truly elite talent.

No better example than the Dickinson recruitment where the excuse was that he would not commit when Purdue wanted him to and they stopped recruiting him because he was looking for better offers allegedly (i.e., Duke...who did offer), only to see him end up in conference at Michigan.

Seems to be a lot Indiana kids on the Boilers roster. Idk if I would say he locked anything down.
I think IU has signed 8 of the Rivals 150 from Indiana since Archie arrived. Lock down? I don’t know and don’t care. I wanted to see someone recruit Indiana and he his doing that successfully. I can handle losing recruits to Purdue and Notre Dame that are from Indiana, but I despise watching them leave the State.

He is making progress and needs his players in place. Once the toilet is completely flushed from clappy’s tenure then I think we will see what his style can bring. I’m optimistic.

There may be some truth to this and the notion of the culture, but, that is also a really convenient excuse when you simply can't recruit truly elite talent.
Yeah because it's not like Painter has a track record of having integrity and doesn't want to mess with players that do that right? Oh wait... go back to peegs where you can slobber all over lil archie.

You have still failed to answer the question. So I will ask it again What did those players accomplish in the tournament how far did they get and again just asking for a friend.

Yeah because it's not like Painter has a track record of having integrity and doesn't want to mess with players that do that right? Oh wait... go back to peegs where you can slobber all over lil archie.
Not even remotely close to what I, or anyone else for that matter said, or insinuated.

That said, I have a really difficult time believing that every genuinely elite talent in every recruiting class lacks integrity or character.

Forget looking at it nationally and just consider the Midwest...heck, just consider the B1G...am I supposed to believe that Chris Holtman does not have integrity or a culture that he considers when recruiting? John Beilein didn't?

Typical response though from someone with an agenda and who ignores the reality of the matter...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It is easy to say that and think that...and part of me feels the same...but, there has to be a practical perspective as well that acknowledges that he has been very successful with recruiting, especially in-state, with literally almost nothing in his favor. Purdue/Painter can't even get a whiff from virtually any 5-star...and, they are ignored by many of the best in-state players as well. I read where Lander stated that part of his decision was based on how long and consistent his recruitment was...that NEVER works in Painter's/Purdue's favor with elite or high target recruits.

You and I and others can joke about what it means with respect to Archie, but, the fact of the matter is that he landed a guy that he really had no business landing...a guy that Purdue would kill to get and is of the caliber that they desperately need, and, that we as fans would have celebrated incredibly.

Taking shots at Archie when he has done a better job this year on the floor than Painter, and, now off the floor again as well, seems petty...and, ignores the reality of the fact that he continues to recruit better than Painter also.
The only reason why your record is better than Purdue your 1st 9 games was against boys Clubs. If you play the same schedule that Purdue did your record Looks exactly like Purdue's right now Did you forget we beat you by double digits on your court.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
The only reason why your record is better than Purdue your 1st 9 games was against boys Clubs. If you play the same schedule that Purdue did your record Looks exactly like Purdue's right now Did you forget we beat you by double digits on your court.
You realize that’s a Purdue fan, right? You are the IU fan here.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Did you forget he had a 5 star player on his team last year and this year had a highly rated recruit in the top 25 did you win the game last year or this year. Just asking for a friend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT