ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey goes from an all time Boiler favorite to all time scapegoat in one game.

Worst when they were up four late with the ball and he took and missed a quick three.

Reactions: DAG10
Ivey is an emotional guy and this game will grate at him for a long time. He might surprise us and decide to come back next year to be the face of college basketball. There would be plenty of NIL money for him if he did. An Edey/ Ivey 3.0 year would have us pre season top 5.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Ripping on Ivey is idiotic. The guy is only a Soph, and has made an incredible jump in a short period of time. Kudos to Painter for identifying him in recruiting and getting him to Purdue.

Ivey's game at this juncture is not one in which he can really put a team on his back. I know a lot of folks may have thought so, but he's not quite that player...yet.

Ivey is an emotional guy and this game will grate at him for a long time. He might surprise us and decide to come back next year to be the face of college basketball. There would be plenty of NIL money for him if he did. An Edey/ Ivey 3.0 year would have us pre season top 5.
It would totally scramble peoples brains on here if Ivey said he was coming back tmr.

Ripping on Ivey is idiotic. The guy is only a Soph, and has made an incredible jump in a short period of time. Kudos to Painter for identifying him in recruiting and getting him to Purdue.

Ivey's game at this juncture is not one in which he can really put a team on his back. I know a lot of folks may have thought so, but he's not quite that player...yet.
But painter did him no favors with his style of recruiting. Lane cloggers hinder iveys game, not help. And we’ll be continuing the annual tradition next year as well with berg.

• Sad
Reactions: SKYDOG
But painter did him no favors with his style of recruiting. Lane cloggers hinder iveys game, not help. And we’ll be continuing the annual tradition next year as well with berg.
Berg’s not a low post guy. At least not until he gains 50 lbs or so.

So you’re saying he will be a perimeter player for us?…. Not happening as he has nowhere near the necessary skills. Another low post 7 footer.
He can pick and pop. Unclog the lane. But I don’t see him beating out edey and Furst for a ton of minutes any time soon.

Ivey is most likely a lottery pick. That isn't the big question. The big question is where will he be in 3-5 years? Athleticism yes, skills and decision making remain to be seen.

So you’re saying he will be a perimeter player for us?…. Not happening as he has nowhere near the necessary skills. Another low post 7 footer.

He does have more mobility - seems more like a hybrid between Haarms and Haas - don't think you can build an offense around him. I'm at least intrigued of his ability to play more outside of the paint on both ends......lot of development needed from what it appears but a good pick-up to me.

Purdue will take a step back, but I don't think it will be as bad or the sky is falling like some may think....two/three years down the line might be the pay-off.....a lost opportunity this year for sure, but don't burn the house down just yet.

He does have more mobility - seems more like a hybrid between Haarms and Haas - don't think you can build an offense around him. I'm at least intrigued of his ability to play more outside of the paint on both ends......lot of development needed from what it appears but a good pick-up to me.

Purdue will take a step back, but I don't think it will be as bad or the sky is falling like some may think....two/three years down the line might be the pay-off.....a lost opportunity this year for sure, but don't burn the house down just yet.
Yeah I don’t think we need to completely reset the program or anything. Just start taking a different approach to the way we play/recruit . I’m going to be honest, our ‘22 class is a massive disappointment IMO. Not a single player rated inside the rivals 100 and just not sure I’m a fan of any of their games other than maybe Heide. On the other hand I’m extremely excited about our ‘23 recruits and hope painter grabs a big better suited for the modern game to go with them.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I think you can have a package that includes a big guy like Edey or Berg but it’s not going to get us anywhere when that’s our whole offense and we try to force feed it down low every time. Or if you have a big like Tre you can run the offense through but those guys don’t come around very often and they need to be somewhat of an outside threat too

Reactions: bstrouse
I think you can have a package that includes a big guy like Edey or Berg but it’s not going to get us anywhere when that’s our whole offense and we try to force feed it down low every time. Or if you have a big like Tre you can run the offense through but those guys don’t come around very often and they need to be somewhat of an outside threat too
And they need to be mobile so we don’t get PNRd to death.

Do you think Caleb can be that stretch 5 ?
I don't know...he is not a back-to-the-basket dominant scorer at all. He does have the ability to stretch the floor some, but, I don't see it, at least in any context of what Purdue does, where it makes a huge difference. And, whereas we as Purdue fans always see it, it works because we don't have someone that can guard somebody out there with our bigs...that is not the case with other teams...even though Caleb can step out some, other teams can guard it unlike Purdue.

I love Furst, but, from where he was in November to where he is now...incredibly disappointing....and, that is not said in a way to be mean or negative or bash him at all (as, I don't think it is even on him really), but, just stating a fact...for as good as he was early, I never would have imagined him being so irrelevant later in the year, and, it hurt Purdue for sure.

I have no idea what Purdue should do admittedly...they don't have the overall collective talent to run with the genuine elite...it is clear to me (and has been for a LONG time) that you win with guards and not with bigs (although you have to have some guys in the post that are athletic and physical), and, the whole idea that defense was not that important could not be more wrong, I am certain of that now as well...I could not care less what Purdue's offensive efficiency rating is...it is completely irrelevant....it just lost to a team that had like the 234th or something ridiculous offense...but, it has 4 guards that collectively are as good as any backcourt left probably, and, it plays defense.

Ultimately, I am just resigned to the fact that it won't happen at/for Purdue...just not meant to be...even when they are gifted things, they fail to capitalize...when they are genuinely better...they fail to capitalize...and, they never capitalize when they are not better obviously. I have long felt that if they ever did reach a Final Four and play for a National Championship, it would be with a team that nobody expected it to, and, that almost happened...but, I just don't think that it will...more so now with NIL/transfer portal and what not....the rich will become even richer.

So what you’re saying is he doesn’t have the time to work on that part of his game outside of the actual game time? I hear lots of excuses on here for the glaring weaknesses in his game. I sure hope it translates to the next level that he’s really athletic. But I know that there are lots of really athletic guys that are complete busts…. I just don’t wanna see him fall for a bunch of old guys who tell him how great he’s gonna be and then it doesn’t happen and he ends up not a lottery pick and doesn’t get the fat paycheck he was promised by all of these “guys “. But there’s been enough “of those guys on here“ who have assured me they will cover anything he doesn’t make in the lottery with their own money
He will make his money for sure...will he have the ultimate success that he hopes to? Who knows? But, he will have every opportunity for it, and, he has the athleticism, skill and ability to make it happen...as well seemingly as the drive.

Nice kid, but, that game is already in the rear-view mirror.

Reactions: Gesysp
Nice kid, but, that game is already in the rear-view mirror.
I somewhat agree with you. There’s something missing there but the smart guys on this site would like to play roulette with other peoples lives because there’s didn’t turn out as they hoped are certain to the point that they’re willing to fork over the money if he doesn’t make it. I think it’s noble of them, not many people would do that so hats off to those guys.
I see it all the time in basketball and football where coaches and parents tell kids “you’re the man, you can’t fail, we’re going to get you to the next level“

Everyone keeps talking about him having "skill"? What elite basketball skill does he possess? Passing? Hah. no. Shooting? Nope... Ball handling? NO. Defense? MAJOR NO. BBall IQ? Hah, that's a negative. Like, what skill do you think he can walk on to an NBA court in mere months and be able to show off?

He has out-of-this-world athleticism and speed that he uses to score a bunch of points against fellow 19-21 year olds, many on mindless drives to the basket and some super neat dunks to go along with it. He was given the ultimate power by Painter to completely control and manipulate this offense to his every whim and in many games that was enough to get him a nice stat line to secure individual publicity and postseason awards and for Purdue to (barely) win a lot of UGLY games - enough for many fans to not call attention to it. However it was never enough to lead Purdue to anything that will be remembered years from now. In 5-10 years no one will have anything good to remember this team by save for maybe some Youtube clips/memes of Ivey's dunks/reactions and Williams' passes, and that's a cold, hard fact.

He will be in the D-league for the next 2-3 years hopefully developing these skills, and i'm sure will go viral for a bunch of neat slams, but hey he'll be getting paid and Twitter S/Os from Ja, so good for him! (I will probably have to block the Purdue BB twitter account because we will be updated every time the kid sneezes) Maybe he should take some lessons from his mom, because he never wanted to listen to Painter when he was here, but Painter obviously didn't care. And his arrogant, smug on court demeanor made him EXTREMELY hard to root for, especially when he was getting absolutely SCHOOLED by a bunch of 2* St. Peters guards, but good luck in the pros kid, hopefully that'll humble him.

Last edited:
Too many people have been debating how Ivey will do in the draft and NBA this year as if that’s relevant. I was only interested in how he played at Purdue. And unfortunately I don’t feel like he came anywhere close to his ceiling at Purdue. He could have cleaned up his game so much by just doing to easy fundamental things better. So frustrating.

Sick of pointing that out to the response of “shut up he is NBA talent.” I don’t care. He’s in college now at Purdue, so I’d rather him do well there. That’s not to say he wasn’t a good player for us, but he could have been so much better.

After sleeping on it I get the sense that Painter expected Ivey to start hitting shots and take over at the end. One of the reasons why he didn’t really try anything.

Ivey thought so, and that’s what I’m annoyed with.

You watch but you don’t see.
Ok I’ll try to make sense of this for you: do you remember Troy Aikmam running the option at Oklahoma in the mid 80s ? That’s the best analogy I can think of for Jaden playing in this offense.

Then Aikman went to UCLA and played in a pro style offense and the rest is history.

Ok I’ll try to make sense of this for you: do you remember Troy Aikmam running the option at Oklahoma in the mid 80s ? That’s the best analogy I can think of for Jaden playing in this offense.

Then Aikman went to UCLA and played in a pro style offense and the rest is history.

Sorry, but all I can think of with Aikman is that Fox somehow didn’t make him an offer to return when Young Buck was bolting.

With Ivey, he should be showing much more while playing in the same system that introduced him to college basketball. He’s quick and usually fun but needs a lot of refinement to make it.

With Ivey, he should be showing much more while playing in the same system that introduced him to college basketball. He’s quick and usually fun but needs a lot of refinement to make it.
He’s shown plenty. AND yes, needs a lot of refinement. As almost all NBA lottery picks do. The older “refined” players go later in the draft, or not at all.

He’s shown plenty. AND yes, needs a lot of refinement. As almost all NBA lottery picks do. The older “refined” players go later in the draft, or not at all.

I’d rather he be just like Joe Barry Carroll and Glenn Robinson. Follow a team flop as a sophomore with a Big Ten championship and leave NBA-ready as the league’s No. 1 pick.

Reactions: PurdueDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT